DIY Kentwood Bookcase

Happy Spring Break friends! I have been doing everything except taking a break!  My oldest three are visiting their grandparents, so I have used this time to get some serious crafting done… Woohoo!

First on the list to share with you…

A bookcase I made for my son’s room!

I told Ana that I needed a bookcase to go with the great bed and nightstands that she designed for me.  She delivered! I love it!

You can see the plans for this bookcase HERE, and here are a few tips from my build.

I used my Kreg Jig® to build this project.  I can’t say enough about how much time, sweat and sometimes tears 😉 this tool has saved me!  I was a bit intimidated when I first started using it, but now I won’t build without it!  You need one.  I promise.

I used 3/4″ pocket holes and 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws.

And some more progress..

I used this great cheap paneling I found at Lowe’s to finish out the back.  I just glued and nailed it to the back.

And here is my top planked with 1×3….

I used Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut.  You can buy it at Lowe’s.

Want to see it all finished???

What do you think??

This is just one of the many awesome plans you can find on Ana’s site!  This was a 2 hour project for me.  I started it just after I put the babies in bed.

If you like it I would so appreciate you pinning it below! 😉

And in case you are new to this room, here are some of the other goodies I have built him….

DIY Kentwood Nightstand

$20 Shelves Anyone Can Build!!

DIY Pottery Barn Platform Bed

Thanks so much for stopping by!!  Make sure you check out the plans for this great bookcase on Ana’s site HERE!!!

1. Priscilla on July 10, 2020 at 11:54 am

Im gonna try this bookshelf…but Im gonna try to make the shelves slide out as I need it for my silhouette machines

2. Jeff on July 28, 2016 at 11:04 am

How difficult would it be to combine this plan with the nightstand you have in the picture? I’d love to do a hutch out of the two plans together but worry about how stable it would be.

3. Miranda Hagedorn on December 5, 2014 at 10:32 am

I know a lot of questions have been asked about the staining process. I hope I don’t sound completely ridiculous when I ask.. How easy is it to dust these pieces? I’m obviously used to purchasing furniture that has some sort of clear coating that makes the piece of furniture smooth, shiny, and easy to dust. I use Pledge on EVERYTHING… So my only concern is not being able to use it and my dust rags snagging on the wood when dusting… Am I overthinking this here? 🙂

4. Melissa Duvane on November 12, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I LOVE my new bookshelf! I decided to chalk paint the body of the shelf and leave the back planks stained wood! Way easier than I thought it would be!!! THANK YOU!

• Melissa Duvane on November 12, 2014 at 11:22 pm

see below results

5. Kimberly Stinson on June 3, 2014 at 6:24 am

First, this furniture is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, and I thank you so very much, for sharing!!!! We’re doing a rustic/forest themed nursery for my nephew, and this furniture is PERFECT, for what we envision in the room!!!! My question…since this furniture will be going into a nursery, we’re obviously going to need a crib, so I’m wondering if you have any posts, or plans, on creating a matching crib??

P.S – I love this entire collection of furniture SO much, that I shared each piece, on Pinterest…the world needs to see these beautiful pieces!!!!

6. lor on March 22, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I LOVE this shelf and want to make one for my office. I’m wondering about how much I should expect to spend on this project?
    Thanks!

7. whatanamateur on August 26, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’m in the process of building this shelf now. I’ve seen a lot of people ask about your finish on your projects and I’m having trouble finding info on it. I saw that you’re using the Minwax, do you use a conditioner first? What are you using to apply it? How long are you letting it sit? I LOVE this finish and I’ve worked hard on the shelf with my dad. I really don’t want to screw up the finish!! I’d love any help you can offer!

• Shanty2Chic on August 27, 2013 at 6:06 am

I actually only use Rust-Oleum Ultimate wood stain found at Lowe’s. this bookshelf is dark walnut. No conditioner needed… Just one coat. Make sure to wipe it off after a few minutes. Hope this helps!

8. Adrian on March 13, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hi, i’ve been looking at a couple of your projects and i love them, especially the way they are finished. I am about to embark on this project and i am wondering how do you get your wood projects to have such a vintage rustic/look finish after applying the wood stain? It would be great if you could share it with us. Thank you very much for the inspiration and guidance =)

9. Sarah Willey on February 5, 2013 at 12:41 pm

About how much did you pay for the wood? I’m a broke nursing student and have to keep a very tight budget! I would love to make two of these to hold all of my novels and text books.

10. lisa lee on January 23, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I love this, I am attempting this today! Here is my link to blogpost all about it. http://blog.lisajaynelee.com/to-build-a-bookshelf/. You girls are amazing! Such an inspiration!

11. Aimee on October 10, 2012 at 10:55 am

I LOVE this! What a beautiful job you did!
    I am going to attempt this myself this week. I am curious though… how much did all the wood cost you?
    Thanks!
    Aimee~

12. Bethany Goodrich on September 4, 2012 at 8:09 am

How did you get those beautiful variations during the staining process? Did you do a bit of sanding? Please share your techniques. My boyfriend would love to know 🙂

13. Michelle on August 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Love those wire baskets, could you tell me where you got them?

14. Audra on July 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I loved the look of this and really needed a TV stand to hold electronics so we modified it a to be on the side and have doors like your nightstand

• Shanty2Chic on July 19, 2012 at 6:16 am

That’s great Audra!! Do you have pictures? I would love to see it!

15. Anne on June 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I am wanting to build this for my boys’ room. I have a wall that is 5 feet that I need to put these on. I was thinking of just building one or maybe two and somehow attaching them? Do you have any ideas for me? Also, can I make these taller without compromising their sturdiness?

16. Amy [email protected] on April 17, 2012 at 6:19 pm

LOVE mixing the rustic elements with those metal lockers. I have a few of those around my house and just love them! Great post!!

17. Heidi @ Fostering a creative life on April 6, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Whoot WHoot! That is my little cat call on these babies. Absolutely love the style you are creating! Thanks for the great tutorials 🙂

18. TJ on April 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Okay… you’re my new hero! Those pieces are wonderful!

19. Carolyn Wilbrink on March 16, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hi there, just wondering where you purchased the wire baskets and table lamps from?? I’d love to know. Thanks so much!

20. brookeO on March 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm

This bookshelf is really cute. It’s now on my to-do list!