LOVE me some Wood Wall Art!!!

Hey friends!

Hope you all had a great weekend!  Ours was beautiful here!

Many of you have seen Ashley’s Reclaimed Wood Wall Art she did for above her couch a while back.  I LOVE hers.  In fact, every time I go to her house it makes me want to change the art above my couch as well!

So… I came up with this!

Here is how I made it!

I started with wood from Lowe’s.  This is the great part…

I went ahead and bought 8′ pieces and cut them in half to save money. I used furring strips for mine.  You can have Lowe’s or HD cut yours in half for you if you don’t have a saw.  Or, you can also use a super cheap hand saw like THIS one.  It’s really easy to cut this type of wood with a hand saw.

2 – 1×2″ furring strips

2-1×3″ furring strips

2- 1×4″ furring strips

My cost for wood was under $15!

Once mine were cut I laid them out like this…

Then I used 1/4″x 3′ birch project sticks to attach all the wood together.  These can be found with the other birch boards and they were really cheap… Like $1.50 a piece.

I marked where I would lay my stick and then added a little Gorilla Wood Glue!

Then I nailed my sticks to the boards like this.  If you don’t have a nailer you can also use wood screws!  Just pre-drill your holes and attach the screw through all the boards.

Next, I flipped it over and gave it a coat of my very fav…

Here it is drying…

Next for the fun part!

I used my Silhouette machine and Contact paper to make my stencils.  You can also buy your own stencils at a craft store or print your own letters and use a craft knife to cut them out with contact paper.

The font I used is called Arial Black.

I cut my L, V and E.  I also used a heart shape that came with a set of 9 hearts on Silhouette Software.

You can see a detailed post on cutting Contact paper with the Silhouette HERE.

I lined my letters up first to make sure I liked it…

Then I put the outsides of the letters on to be my stencil.  I used some acrylic cream and coral paint to add my letters.

My final step before I hung it up was to shanty it up a bit!  I used an 80 grit sanding block to lightly distress each letter.  I LOVE the results…

To hang it I had to get the hubby’s help!  I just used 2 1/2″ drywall screws straight through the sign into the studs of the wall.  I used three screws on the sign and it is super sturdy!

Want to see it up on the wall??

What do you think???

I hope you LOVE it 😉 No pun intended….

If you do, I would love for you to share the LOVE and Pin it like crazy below! Oh I could go on and on 😀

Thanks so much!

1. Christine Bellow on August 23, 2012 at 5:21 am

Just found your blog – love everything about it AND you! Definitely loving this “Love” sign, though I think I love it more with the new fabric flowers on the heart & am thinking I’d like to create a headboard using this idea… My question though is where did you get the fabulous sconces on either side of sign? I mean, if I’m going to copy you I need to do so thoroughly, no? :0) If you can’t remember where you got them or if that place doesn’t carry them anymore, any advice as to how to seek similar ones out? Is there a name for them?

Thanks so much! So excited to explore your blog more!

Hugs,
    Christine aka The Stampin’ Ninja

2. Alex Williams on August 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Wow I LOVE your LOVE sign! Our living rooms have a few elements in common but I like yours better haha!! I might try my own take on your love sign if you don’t mind me copying?

3. blessed5312 on August 7, 2012 at 7:48 am

This is too cute! I’m going to do it with a quote on it for my boys’ bedroom. Using a quote I found on pinterest. “go on an adventure, sail the high seas, climb a mountain ….”

4. Tracy Schroeder on July 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I LOVE this sign.. U have talent and very good taste! Thank you.

5. Teena on June 25, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Love the sign and the size! what are the dimensions of it?

6. Brittany on June 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Ok-this is awesome! However, I am trying to put the birch project strips on back and they are not long enough. How long are yours? I have bought everything and waiting to see what you would do…thanks!

7. Katie on May 19, 2012 at 8:13 am

I really love your sconces/ ledge on either side of your sign. Did you make them? Is it posted? I have been trying to do something very similar on either side of a painting above my couch, too. Thank you!

8. Theresa on April 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

I was told that paint wouldn’t stick to stain – but yours clearly did!! What kind of paint did you use?

9. Rene on March 28, 2012 at 2:09 pm

What size are your letters? Thanks

10. sarah on March 20, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Just curious where you got the couch! I love both the sign and the couch!

11. An-g on March 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I do love this, but I love love love your coffee table! Do u have a tut for how u made. It? I’m new here

12. Ange on March 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Super cute!!! I am going to pin this and try and actually make it! It’s super cute!!

13. Sonya @ So Simple on March 9, 2012 at 8:59 am

This is just too cute, I love it. The rustic feel makes it that much more awesome.

14. Tini Mapu on March 7, 2012 at 2:04 pm

SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!

15. Megan on March 6, 2012 at 1:03 pm

LOVE IT! OMGOSH! and the little bookend things too… What’s the story behind those??? I want this little set of the wood art, bookends, and jars for above my couch! Lol 😀

16. Lex Malla Books on March 6, 2012 at 11:56 am

This turned out so nice. I love the “rustic” look of it.

lexmallabooks.com

17. [email protected] on March 6, 2012 at 11:37 am

Great project and great tutorial! I love that you added the cornices on each side as well. Nice touch!

18. Kimberly on March 6, 2012 at 11:00 am

I’m new to your blog. Love your decor. Wondering if you made the industrial coffee table (visible in your LOVE wood sign post)?? It would be perfect for our soon to be re-done family room. Thanks!

19. Barbara on March 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

Really cool! Love how easy it was to do! Great job!
    Barbara