$15 Outdoor Planter Box

Hey guys!  I am loving my latest project!! I have been wanting planter boxes for the front door for some time now.  I knew just who to ask for help!  Ana and I came up with these great planter boxes!  The best part??  They only cost $15 a pop to build!  Woohoo!!

You can get the full plans HERE from Ana!  I just wanted to share a few tips and pictures with you.  I used my Kreg Jig™ to build these.  I think this is a GREAT starter project for those of you considering purchasing one, or those of you that haven’t pulled yours out yet!

I know many of you have asked which Kreg Jig™ Ash and I use.  HERE is the exact kit that we use found on Amazon.  You can also find them at Lowe’s, Home Depot, and many other online sources.

A few more pics…

I used these finials from Lowe’s for my corners!

It always helps to have a good “helper” too ;-)…

I painted mine the same color as our trim.   It’s a Valspar color called Coastal Villa.  I filled them up with flowers and I was set to go!

Hope you like them!! I was surprised at the size… Much bigger than I had expected which I LOVE!!  More bang for your buck! 😉

Remember to check out the full plans for these easy planters over at Ana White’s site!  Thanks for stopping by!!

I would love for you to pin these and share them below!! Thanks guys! 😉

1. Leslie Owens on March 31, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Love these planters! Was wondering what section of Lowes did you find these finials. I can’t find them anywhere in my Lowes ; /
    Thank you for all of your inspiring ideas!

2. Danielle Farrello Millinghause on June 4, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Can you use the Kreg Jig Jr for this?

3. Annie B on July 18, 2012 at 1:55 pm

This is a GREAT tutorial!!! I’ve been looking for planters to fit on either side of my garage door which has proven to be quite difficult with the dimensions I need and now this solves it…I have to make my own!!! Thank you!

• Shanty2Chic on July 19, 2012 at 6:18 am

That’s great Annie! Glad to help ;-)! We would love to see pictures when you get them all finished up!

4. JenWoodhouse.com on July 6, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to share what an inspiration you’ve been! I made these planters a few months ago and am just now getting around to taking pics and posting about them. Thank you for this!!!!

5. Autumn Jackson on May 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

Hi Whitney and Ashley,

I just had my handy man make these planters for me, can you explain how you FILLED the planter so that you can’t see down to the bottom. I like how the planters look FULL…did you place a pot in there, etc??? Please let me know! Thanks so much Ladies!

6. Debbie on May 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Thank you so much, Brook 🙂 After you said what they were for, I scrolled back up and had an “ah-ha” moment!
    Thanks again 🙂

7. Debbie on April 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I love the planters! I keep looking at the instructions and cannot figure out what the slits made with the Kreg Jig are for.. I’m guessing that they serve a purpose….. I thought they were maybe for water to escape, but they do not go all the way through. Would someone please clarify this for me? Thank You 🙂

• Brook @ BeingBrook on April 29, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Debbie the slits from the kreg jig are actually pocket holes for the screws that put the planters together!

Love the planters. Going to go dig around my garage and see if I have enough scraps to make some of these. My front porch is sad and needs a little spring spruce up!

Great job!

8. JenWoodhouse.com on April 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm

*Update: After hearing so much hullabaloo from the blogosphere about the Kreg Jig, as of today, I am a proud owner! Box planters, here I come!!!! Thanks for the tutorial and plans!! <3

9. JenWoodhouse.com on April 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm

OMG Thank you thank you thank you! I’ve been searching for a pair of box planters FOR.EV.AR. but didn’t want to spend a lot of money on them. I will be making these very soon! What is the alternative for using a Kreg Jig – can I just nail/screw like normal, without having to drill pocket holes?

Again, THANK YOU! You are so inspiring! And your porch is gorgeous. And that door? AMAHHHHZING!!

10. Kara on April 15, 2012 at 12:10 am

Wowser, they look awesome! Your entire porch looks just fabulous. I’ve never heard of the Kreg Jig before, but now I want one! 🙂

11. Megan on April 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Just beautiful!! I love the Kreg system! Your front door is absolutely gorgeous!! Megan

12. amanda at every creative endeavor on April 13, 2012 at 11:44 am

I love these so much! You did such a great job (like always!!) I am featuring these today on my site!

Amanda

13. Jillian {Her Split Ends} on April 13, 2012 at 7:24 am

Love these! And so easy!! Thanks for sharing…time to play in the dirt this weekend!!

Cheers
    ~ Jillian

14. Peg on April 13, 2012 at 7:21 am

Forget the planters 😉 I want your front door!!! LOL!

15. Kellie on April 13, 2012 at 7:10 am

You’re AMAZING!!! Love the planter box and your front door is AWESOME!!! 🙂

16. Carly on April 13, 2012 at 5:25 am

Oh.my.god. I’m in love with your front door!

17. Candace on April 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm

These are great! You ladies are my building heroes, always making something amazing!

18. Becca on April 12, 2012 at 8:59 pm

You NEVER cease to amaze me! Awwweeeeesome!
    xo Becca

19. katie on April 12, 2012 at 8:15 pm

LOVE these!!! I too have been wanting planter boxes for our front entry way for quite some time. I love that you enlisted Anna White to draw you up plans!!!

20. Karin on April 12, 2012 at 8:12 pm

What a beautiful job! Pin’d it

21. Sonya @ So Simple on April 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Oh how I want those planters! They are gorgeous, great job as always.

22. Kassi @ Truly Lovely on April 12, 2012 at 5:32 pm

THAT’S your front entry!?! HOW cool!!! It looks like a castle! 🙂 The planters look great there!

23. Natalie on April 12, 2012 at 4:54 pm

These are AWESOME! They look like they would cost a million bucks at some ritzy outdoorsy place, and I love that they could be so easily personalized.

24. Alissa on April 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I love these and want to make them asap. A few questions…. did you put the dirt directly inside the box or are your plants in a pot and they are just sitting inside the box? If you put dirt directly inside the box, did you line it with anything to protect the wood or to prevent it from falling through the bottom?

Thanks and great job! 🙂

25. Jenn on April 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Ell’s picture made me laugh out loud! Good job as usual! 🙂