DIY Casserole Tray

Hi friends!  Hope everyone is having a great week!

With Mother’s Day just around the corner, I am finishing up my gifts for all the moms on my list!  I started thinking about this next project, and thought what a great gift it would make for so many moms out there!

Here is what I made…

It is a tray that carries and serves a standard 9×13″ baking dish!  Perfect for you casserole cookin’ Mamas like myself ;-)!  And the best part?? I made it for $8!

This is super easy to make!  Start with your wood.  I used 2 1×4″ furring strips from Lowe’s.  These are under $2 a piece.

Here are my cuts…

And for my bottom slats…

Build your box first…

I attached mine using Gorilla Wood Glue and finish nails.

Now add your bottom slats like this…

I gave the whole tray a coat of my very favorite…

While that was drying, I worked on my handles!  I found these great pulls at Hobby Lobby for $1.50 a pop!  You can buy them online HERE if you don’t have a Hobby Lobby close!  Woohoo! Wait for a sale though!

I gave them a coat of my other fav…

So cute! I sanded them just a bit to make them a bit more “shanty” ;-)!

My final step was attaching them!  I drilled some small holes and attached them with the screws.  I also added a few felt circles to the bottom to protect my table.

That’s it!  Pretty easy, right??  What do you think?   I love that it doubles as a carrying tray and a trivet!

And did I mention?? $8!

If I don’t decide to keep this for myself it will be going to one of my special ladies!

I would love for you to share it and Pin it below guys!! Thanks so much! Let me know if you have any questions!!

1. Tanja on May 13, 2018 at 2:23 am

So, apparently I’m a “late bloomer” since I’m just now seeing this is 2018, LoL, but I’m just glad that I came across this! This is such an awesome idea, and it could serve a slew of purposes, so I’m getting on it immediately. My daughters and I are skincare and makeup “addicts”, so I can see already that I’ll need to make at least three of these for our bathroom counter and vanities, but…. I will need to make a few additional for the kitchen as well. Oh my goodness, the possibilities are ENDLESS, LoL! Thank you a million for sharing this great tutorial.

2. Nena Bonita on June 1, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Your amazing!! I just love seeing and trying all the things you make!

3. momtoec on November 29, 2014 at 10:38 am

I am going to make a few of these as gifts. Do you remember where you used nails and where you used glue? Thanks!

4. Meg Blanchette on October 4, 2014 at 7:28 am

I know this is a few years in (and probably a stupid question)–but how did you clamp the wood while the glue was drying?

Thanks!

5. KYBinniker :) on April 12, 2014 at 9:01 am

Apparently, I LOVE this sight and have commenced to posting several of your great ideas on Pinterest! Now, all I need is a little bit of time to get to work on some of these. Thank you for sharing easy-to-follow directions, dimensions and all around great ideas. Next stop… LOWES! 🙂

6. Kenneth E. Grant Jr. on March 6, 2014 at 5:04 pm

We made some of these, and stained them with colored stain, and distressed them. They looked wonderfully “beachy”. Our friends loved them, and so we ended up giving several away as Christmas gifts! Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

• Shanty2Chic on March 6, 2014 at 5:26 pm

That’s awesome!! So happy to hear it! 🙂

7. April on February 18, 2014 at 12:03 am

So pretty! I’m making a few of these for gifts and for dinners delivered through church. Sure to put smiles on faces of those who receive them. You ladies are really keeping me busy, and it’s not costing a fortune!

8. Tim Foster on November 23, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Ditching my other casserole plans and going with yours. THANKS!

9. Lauren on November 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I’m making it for my mom and sister for Christmas! And myself of course!

10. Casey on October 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I completely adore this and would like to make some as Christmas gifts this year – could you give me a teeny bit more info on exactly how you put things toghether? Did you just use a hammar and a nail? Wood glue? Both?
    Thank you!!

11. Tonya Smith on August 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I am definitely going to have to make a few of these for myself, mom, and sister-in-laws. These are awesome!!!!

12. Becca Goodpaster on July 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I just constructed this and followed the measurements to a T, and it didn’t fit any of my Pyrex 9×13 dishes. I had no gaps between the bottom slats, and I notice your picture does. Next time I make this I think I’ll use 11″ or 11.5″ pieces rather than 10.5″. Thanks for the great project. I love my tray, just wish it fit my Pyrex dishes!

• Shanty2Chic on July 19, 2012 at 6:28 am

Sorry Becca! Mine fit great? You may try measuring yours and modifying it a bit… If you want to make another one 😉 I apologize!

• Amanda Lynn Sargent on December 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

I wonder…did you by any chance put it together backwards? That is to say, did you put the long boards inside the short ones instead of the other way around? Because that would make a big difference!

• Becca Goodpaster on December 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Nope, it’s put together correctly, my dishes almost fit. it’s really only off by about 1/4 inch. Oh well, I still love it. I mainly use it in the center of my table to hold art supplies…that way the kids can tote their supplies around the house.

13. Yazmin on May 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm

So useful, beautiful and also that pasta looks even more delicious in this tray 😉 !

• April on February 18, 2014 at 12:07 am

So true!:)

14. Carolyn on May 10, 2012 at 7:06 am

I LOVED this idea for my mother who goes to a LOT of pot lucks. I made this last week, but didn’t follow your tutorial, which I totally should have. Yours is MUCH nicer than mine, but I think my mom will still love it. I painted mine white and it’s so plain looking I’m heading to the craft store today to get some sort of stencil to embellish it a little.