DIY Magazine Tray

Hey guys!  I hope you all had a great weekend!  My oldest three were at their grandparents, so I got busy on a little project for my coffee table.

I love magazines (almost as much as Pinterest ;-)), and decided I needed a little something for my table to hold them!  This project is super easy and cheap.  And it can be used just about anywhere! Woohoo!

You can follow the easy tutorial below, or you can also check out our video tutorial to make it HERE!

You will only need 2 pieces of wood for this.  1 – 3″ furring strip, and 1 – 4″ furring strip.  Total cost for wood?? Under $4!

For those of you that don’t own a saw, it’s time to go get one.  You don’t have to buy a table saw.  A little guy like this one will do all the work you need for this, and many of our other projects.

That is under $15 at Lowe’s.  I have this and a table saw, and I still will use this one on small projects!  Easy!

Your wood cuts will be…

1×3″ furring strip – 5- 18″ pieces

1×4″ furring strip – 2- 12.25″ pieces and 2- 19.5″ pieces.

I assembled my tray using Gorilla Wood Glue and finish nails.

I started by attaching my 18″ pieces to my shorter side pieces like this…

Then I just attached my longer side pieces like this…

That’s it!  Pretty simple!  Took me all of 5 minutes!

Now for paint!  I used my vaseline method to finish this one, but I changed it up a bit!  I used Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Heirloom White as my top coat!  I LOVE the results!  You can read more about that paint method by clicking the link below!

Here is my base coat… A bit shanty I know 😉

And my top coat that I spray painted on after my Vaseline!

After distressing it I wanted to add a little something!  Ash and I found these great metal pieces at Lowe’s for under $1 a piece.  You can find them in the framing/lumber section.

I just used some small wood screws to attach one to each corner.  Totally not necessary, but totally cute 😉 !

And it needed some handles too… Why not?  I found these in the hardware section of Lowe’s as well for around $2 a piece.  I put one on each end!

All done!

Let’s do the math…

$4 for wood and $8 for the optional hardware!  Yup… That’s pretty darn cheap!!

So… What do you think??

I hope you like it!  If you do, I would love for you to Pin it and share it below!!

Thanks so much for stopping by!! Have a great Monday!!

1. Robin Myers on September 24, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I love all of y’all’s projects!! I just finished this one. I made it as a house warming gift for my sister in law. I snagged a pallet from their construction site and used the boards from it to make the tray. She loved it!

2. gina love on August 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm

super stinkin cute girl! you always inspire me to whip out m’tools! 🙂 thanks!

3. Amber Ayotte on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 am

I just came across your blog and am in love! I have seen so many things I want to try! Thanks for the inspiration!

4. Darcy Robb on October 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I just found you – where have you been all my life?
    Darcy from TheWldRoses.etsy.com

5. Suzan on July 20, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Looks great!

6. Judy on July 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Just wanted to remind fellow crafters to check and see if there might be a “Restore’ Thrift store in your area. They are run by Habitat for Humanity and sell all types of hardware, paint and building materials that have been donated at super discounted pries. Best of all its recycling to the max so it helps out all involved, all monies go towards helping rebuild homes for the needy:)

• Shanty2Chic on July 18, 2012 at 6:38 am

Perfect reminder Judy! Thanks so much!

• Nanette Lewis on September 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

We have a Habitat Restore near me and I think it must be the only one that is way over priced. They do not bargain at all. I’ve bought items there that I felt were double what they were worth but did so because of the “donation”.

7. Catherine on July 12, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I just made this tonight!!! Still need to paint it- but so far so good. Although what kind of wood did you use?? I think the wood I bought was too heavy….

• Shanty2Chic on July 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

I used pine furring strips:-) I would love to see a pic of yours!

8. Kathryn Fertick on May 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I made this a couple of weeks ago, woohoo! I bought more wood to make another one. Thank you for a great idea, you have so many on here!!!! 🙂 I posted about it on my blog, and gave the link (and credit) back to your tutorial. Thanks again! I’ve gotten friends hooked on your site too 🙂 http://craftykat-mycraftyplayground.blogspot.com/2012/05/make-your-own-wood-tray.html

9. Kathryn Fertick on April 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I just made this tonight, woohoo! I haven’t painted it yet or added hardware- I think I will opt for just handles, but might peruse the hardware too 😉 . I’m still deciding what color(s) to paint it. Thanks for a great idea- I love all your fantastic and fun projects that you post about 🙂

10. lisa on April 20, 2012 at 7:47 am

i just started on the planter boxes and used my miter saw. what do you use to remove the slivers of wood and soften the cut edges? I have a small file that i used, but it doesn’t seem to work very well.

11. Annalea on April 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Okay, I just have to say, I LOVE all of these little projects you post. You make these look so straightforward and POSSIBLE . . . I want to go pick up my saw and get to work. :o) This one has been pinned, along with quite a few others. Thanks so much!

12. Brenda on April 18, 2012 at 11:41 am

I love it- as all of your projects! I think i might actually attempt this one! So many uses- and an awesome idea for a gift!!! Love!

13. Rhonda Tomlinson on April 18, 2012 at 5:15 am

ok what is this thing at the left of your screen, the box for likes, it’s like it is on top of the screen. it takes up to much space in trying to read your blog, i have to scroll to the top of my screen to be able to read. sorry I had to ask, it really bugs me. but i love the tray and your blog!!

14. Sharon on April 18, 2012 at 4:20 am

LOVE it!! How easy you make it sound. I think I’ll definitely be giving this a go! Love the industrial look of the metal edging too. Thanks for posting this I saw it on Pinterest.

15. Jamie O on April 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Another item that I need to make….your stuff is so fun and most of easy due to your amazing tutorials. Thanks! Also I know you said the cherry blossoms are from Michaels, I have been twice and I found two different ones that look like yours. The one is 4.99 and the other is 9.99, not on sale. Do you have any idea of what they cost you? I bought the cheap ones and they dont seem to look like yours, and of course the workers dont seem to know what a cherry blossom is!

16. Kara on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 pm

This is gorgeous. I know just the person who would love to receive this as a gift. I think I’ll go make it for her right now!

17. lori on April 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm

HI
    wondering…..did you leave out a step or am I missing something?? don’t you want to glue the 1×3 together first?? (long sides together) or does glueing the ends of them to the side pieces hold them in place???

• Shanty2Chic on April 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

You can Lori, but the way I did it holds it all together well. Thanks!

18. Jennifer on April 17, 2012 at 7:43 am

I love this! Thanks for the great idea. I’m going to make this and the mason jar this weekend.

19. TJ on April 17, 2012 at 7:27 am

Thanks just doesn’t seem to cover it! I am just new at woodworking and your tutorials make me think I really can do this!

20. Vicki on April 17, 2012 at 7:08 am

I am a newbie to your site…I am loving it!!! Wondering if the flowers in your magazine post are artificial and if they are where did you get them?
    Regards and happy building! 🙂
    From New Brunswick, Canada

• Shanty2Chic on April 17, 2012 at 7:16 am

They are artificial. I found them at Michael’s and they are cherry blossoms. Hope this helps! 🙂

21. Kellie on April 17, 2012 at 3:35 am

Terrific Tutorial! I LOVE EVERYTHING you do! 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on April 17, 2012 at 7:15 am

22. Patti on April 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I love the look of this! I am wondering if it could double as a serving tray or is it too heavy? Thinking to make one for a gift for a new bride!

• Shanty2Chic on April 17, 2012 at 7:15 am

It for sure could! The wood glue makes it super strong! 🙂

23. Heather on April 16, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Very Nice!! I notice that you use a finishing nailer with many of your wood projects and was wondering if you could comment on the type that you use or would recommend for the type of projects that you do. Thanks!
    ~Heather

24. Nicole on April 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm

How do you come up with this stuff?? You are totally amazing and I love every single one of your projects!

• Shanty2Chic on April 16, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Thank you Nicole!! You are sweet 🙂

25. Claire on April 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Another AMAZING project! I bought furring strips last weekend so that I could try my hand at your lovely planter box but now I’m thinking this will be my first attempt! I don’t know how you constantly find new ways to inspire your readers. Everything is always so fresh!

Thanks for the great tutorial!

– Claire

• Shanty2Chic on April 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thanks so much for your sweet comment Claire!! Good luck on your first attempt!

26. Liz Prince on April 16, 2012 at 3:31 pm

FREAKING love! U guys seriously ROCK!

• Shanty2Chic on April 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thank you so much Liz :-)!!

27. Erin on April 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm

What do I think? I think I wish we were neighbors so we could have building parties together!

• Shanty2Chic on April 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Haha I would love that :-)! Thanks!!