DIY Towel Hooks

Hey there!  We hope you all had a wonderful Easter with your families!  We had to move our annual Easter egg hunt indoors because we were hit with flash floods all day but that didn’t put a damper on our hunt!  We even got a very forced picture of the youngest generation in the family!  17 little munchkins hunting for eggs in one house….you can imagine how crazy that was;)

Amidst the craziness, I managed to squeeze in a quick project that I have actually been needing badly!

We don’t have a spot in our master bath for hand towels and I don’t like having them lay on the counter.  They don’t dry well and they just look so cute hanging;)  I saw this as an opportunity to shanty something up and here’s how I made two for $10!

I started with a 1×4 furring strip (about $1.50 at your local hardware store).  If you have scraps that’s great and it will save you a little dough.  I cut 8 pieces at 8.5″.

I used my pal Kreg to attach the pieces together.  If you don’t have one, you can nail 1×2’s from the back but they will sit further out from the wall.

Just a pic of the pocket holes.

After I attached the boards together (4 boards each) I sanded them down on the edges and the front.

I then followed up with one coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut stain🙂

I chose these little silver hooks that I purchased at Lowe’s for about $3.50 each.  I attached them at the top of the second board from the bottom.

Now for a little fun:)

I have this Waverly fabric left over, from my master bedroom, that I love!  I decided to tie it into my bathroom with a few flat-rolled rosettes.  You can click HERE for the tutorial:)

I just hot glued them onto each board and added a couple of hand towels:)

This project will take you about an hour and cost you about $10 for 2!  That’s my kind of project:)  If you love it, I would LOVE pins below:)  Thanks so much and have a great week!  ~Ashley

1. Holly Anne Carmona Noak on December 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

How did you attach them to the wall? Mine turned out great, but not sure how to hang them.

2. Angela on December 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm

My pic. Though it will not rotate

3. Angela on December 30, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thank you so much for this. I was looking for something to hang my hand towels that I could build myself. I’m not so “crafty” so my flower did not come out perfect and I decided to do only one but it still looks awesome! Thanks!!

4. Toni on October 11, 2013 at 6:52 am

Love these! Also, can you tell me the color of your bathroom? Obsessed!

• Shanty2Chic on October 11, 2013 at 6:54 am

Thank you, Toni! It’s actually a color match to some
      fabric I had. I don’t have the code anymore 🙁

5. Kristi Blackstone on May 22, 2013 at 2:13 am

Creative and useful project! Love it and thanks for sharing, I’m going to try to make these but a little different due to supplies so hopefully they’ll turn out.

6. Ericka on April 3, 2013 at 8:38 am

i love this!!! I finally got the hubby to go with me and guide me through Home Depot and Lowes!! it was as exciting as me been in a MAC makeup store!! I am actually working on 2 of your projects now, the towel holders and the Ipad Display!! thank you so much for this ideas i never knew i could use this as an outlet for me!

7. Arwen Lott on March 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I have a pocket hole jig and am wondering what length screws you used? Silly question and I assume 1″ but thought I’d ask anyways!

8. Julie on March 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Going to makes these!! Love them!!