DIY Upholstered Queen Headboard

Happy Tuesday friends!

Hope you guys had a great weekend.  I am really excited to show you the WHOLE bed I built for my sister.  I shared the Queen Platform Bed several days ago, and now I am here to show you the upholstered headboard we made to go with it.

Ana made me a perfect plan to match a beautiful upholstered headboard I found at Pottery Barn.

You can find the full plan for this headboard HERE at Ana’s site.  This is one of the easiest builds I have done and I would love to share a few money saving tips with you!

For my back board I used 1/2″ MDF.  I just had the nice man at Lowe’s cut it for me to Ana’s plan size to save me time.

For my foam backing I used this mattress topper from Wal-Mart.  It is only $10… Whoop!

I cut it down and attached it to my MDF like this…

Here is the batting I used.

Pottery Barn uses linen for their headboard.  I feel like you can achieve the same look for much less cost going with canvas drop cloth.  I used this $5 one from Lowe’s.

Stapled to the board…

Before attaching my side pieces I stained them first.  I used our ver favorite stain for this bed.

Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut

This stuff is the best.  It dries faster and only requires 1 coat… Woohoo!  You can get it at Lowe’s.  You can also follow Rust-Oleum on Facebook and Pinterest for fun and inspirational project ideas!

Here are my boards drying…

After attaching those boards I attached the side trim and top and stained them after attaching.  Want to see it all finished??

Hope you like it!

It was so much fun building it for her!

Make sure to check out Ana’s site for the full plans on this headboard!

Many of you ask us questions about tools all the time. We are so excited to share a new tool with you later in the week!  We will also be giving one of them away to a reader!  Stay tuned for that ;-)!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!
It would make my day for you to pin this and share it below ;-)!!  Have a great day!

1. Kelsie Breashears on May 6, 2014 at 8:26 am

I love your ivory rug!! May I ask where you got it?

• 🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨 Super excited because I built this myself and it turned out so beautifully! SO happy! I used the plans at WoodworkPlans.info to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha 🔨🔨🔨

⁣☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁
      ☁☁💗💗☁💗💗☁☁
      ☁💗💗💗💗💗💗💗☁
      ☁💗💗💗💗💗💗💗☁
      ☁💗💗💗💗💗💗💗☁⁣
      ☁☁💗💗💗💗💗☁☁
      ☁☁☁💗💗💗☁☁☁
      ☁☁☁☁💗☁☁☁☁
      ☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁

Go to www. WoodworkPlans.info – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

😍✨🔨✨😍💖

2. Cleo Burrows on September 29, 2013 at 5:21 pm

How did you do the corners without squashing them? I’m using a faux textured leather instead of fabric and I tried folded the corners like you would a package, but it’s bulky. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

3. Cleo Burrows on September 29, 2013 at 5:19 pm
  4. Mary Emily on July 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

Love this idea! Have been looking & looking for a stylish, affordable headboard. Love the stain, but may go with cream (my safety color) or red (if I dare!). Thank you for the steps, the tips, the great photos!

5. Katie Fitzpatrick-Barnard on October 25, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Stunning! Love the frame as well…I am feeling some confidence building (pardon the pun)!

6. mschepers on July 16, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Would it be possible to have the Loews or Home Depot to pre-cut everything then finish it and put it together at home?

7. Silly Rabbit on July 10, 2012 at 7:58 pm

There are great ideas here. I like the way it looks and the way you saved on cost!

• Shanty2Chic on July 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Thanks so much!

• Malaree Taylor on September 30, 2014 at 10:59 am

I can not seem to find the measurements to this bed…I click on the clicks but they do not work,:/

8. Mariana on July 1, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hey, I saw this on anna’s site and was wondering what kind of wood you used?

Thank you for the pictures! this end is beautiful!

9. Maria on May 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Love this headboard. I plan to make one this summer and hopefully gain the confidence to actually build the bed. :-). How is the headboard attached to the bed, or is it all mounted. I am think I want to do a wall mount since we are currently usi g a Hollywood frame so it woulD be difficult to attach.

10. Pia on April 24, 2012 at 8:08 am

Great looking headboard, would love to make one as it also seems super easy, but how did you attach it?

11. Karin on April 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm

What kind of wood did you use for the frame and headboard. I know you used MDF for the back of the headboard, but I am not sure what kind you used for the platform and the trim on the headboard. Thanks for all the inspiration!

12. Colleen on April 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Awesome tutorial. I have been wanting to make myself a new headboard. I love this plan, but I have also been wanting something tufted. I wonder how that would look? Must research. Thanks for the inspiration!

13. katie on April 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm

LOVE your headboard and the color stain you chose!

14. Rita on April 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Wonderful! Wish I had your talent. I really like the headboard, and I’m not an upholstered-headboard kind of person. Turned out great!

15. Lin on April 4, 2012 at 11:48 am

Fabulous! I love it! Lots of hard work went into that I know.

16. Bety Safford on April 4, 2012 at 2:50 am

This is very nice…continue the good work.

17. Jessy on April 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I love this! I equally love the bedding. Please share where it is from.

18. Gail on April 3, 2012 at 10:56 pm

That looks Fantabulous! I think I just may have to make one of those. Thanks for sharing!

19. Jenn on April 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I’ve had something like this floating around in my head and this is just the kick I needed to get it done! Amazing!!

20. Cheryl on April 3, 2012 at 7:38 pm

The headboard really polishes off the bed. Looks great!