$15 DIY Mirror

Hey there!  I just put together this mirror in about an hour and it only cost me $15!

how to make a mirror, mirror mate, mirror

I love the simplicity to it!  Here’s how you can make your own:)

DIY Mirror

DIY MirrorI purchased this Mainstay door mirror from Wal-Mart for $5.  I had to do a little demolition on the cheap, plastic trim that was glued to it.

DIY MirrorI started by ripping off the paper backing.

DIY MirrorI then used a utility knife to cut the glue (it seemed to be close to a hot glue consistency).  Make sure that you cut where the glue and the trim meet.

DIY MirrorNow this is the part that is very important.  The trim will come off very easily and without cracking the mirror if you pull it away from the mirror.  Do NOT try to bend it away from the mirror from front to back.  Just pull it away.

DIY MirrorAfter I removed the trim I cleaned the mirror with a little Windex:)

Now for the frame:

If you have never owned a saw, this is the perfect tool for you to purchase!

It will make this project so easy and it is the perfect starter saw if you are interested in building!

DIY Mirror

I purchased 2 1×4 white wood boards and cut down 4 pieces with 45 degree angles at each end to build the frame.

2 @ 48″ (long point to long point)

2 @ 1 7 1/4″ (long point to long point)

DIY MirrorThis was the fun part for me because it was soooo easy:)  I flipped the boards over so that the bad sides were showing and glued the frame together with Gorilla Glue wood glue.  To keep them together while the dried, I used my staple gun (purchased years ago at Hobby Lobby).  It worked like a charm!

DIY MirrorAfter the glue was dry, I flipped the frame over and stained it with Rust-Oleum dark walnut stain.  I let one coat sit for about 10 minutes!

DIY Mirror

DIY MirrorFor the final step, I attached the mirror to the back of the frame with Liquid Nails (I applied the liquid nails to the back of the frame (edges closest to the middle) and laid the mirror on top of it).  A little goes a long way.

DIY Mirror

DIY Mirror

DIY Mirror

DIY Mirror

I decided to prop it up next to my Pottery Barn Inspired Media Console🙂

DIY MirrorI just love easy and cheap projects!  $15 and 1 hour for a decorative mirror is a steal:)  And the versatility is endless!  I would love one hanging on a wall in my house or even over my mantle!

If you love this I would LOVE your pins;)

Also, be sure to keep up with the Shanty Sisters on Facebook!

Ashley

1. Monica on June 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

This is amazing – I’ve been scared to actually cut wood myself (get the hubby to do it), but you make it look so easy! Definitely going to try.

2. orangesugar on June 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

What a great idea? I have to do this to my cheap mirror.

• Ashley on June 24, 2012 at 6:25 am

Thank you so much!!

3. Michelle on June 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I made this today & it turned out great; thank you so much for sharing your step by step instructions!

• Ashley on June 24, 2012 at 6:35 am

Awesome Michelle! Thanks so much for sharing. We’d lover for you to email it to us so we can share it with our Facebook friends;)

4. Hilary on June 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Nice work! I own the same miter box at home and I often use it to frame my canvases.

5. Shiron on June 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

This is such a great idea!! I am so stealing this for the wall in our master bedroom….perfect weekend project – YAY

6. Chelsy Wilson on June 4, 2012 at 7:24 pm

My husband got me a large mirror from work a year ago. I have really wanted to add a wide frame around it but had no idea where to start. I am so excited about finding this post and can’t wait to try it this weekend! Thank you so much for sharing.

7. Leeza on June 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

One of the best DIY projects I’ve read! I’ve been looking for a classy mirror like this for a while (instead of my ugly walmart one) for the bedroom! I’ll definitely be transforming it soon!

8. Shelley on May 31, 2012 at 5:11 am

Love the mirror. Just a note. If you’ve gone to that much trouble to make your own beautiful mirror, don’t use Windex spray on it. The glass/mirror businesses tell you that is the quickest way to ruin an expensive mirror. Not sure an inexpensive one would hold up either. The windex gets in between the backing,the glass and the mirrored part and eats away at it turning it black. I have two mirrors this has happened to. :-\

9. Katherine on May 30, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I love this! This reminds me of the IKEA mirror I have in my living room that I thought I had gotten for a decent price at $100. I’ve had a mirror in my closet that I ripped the plastic trim from for years! I’m so doing this on Friday since its my day off. wooh whoo!

10. Mackenzie Smith on May 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY adorable!! and i cant wait to try it!! (a lil nervous, but i’m going for it! i’ve never operated a saw before) ok, but for the wood–you buy 2 1X4 pieces and cut the 2 shorter (17 1/4″ pieces) pieces off and that leaves you with the 2 @ 48″ and the 2 @ 17 1/4″? is that right? I just want to make sure–because i was thinking the 4 ft boad would only total 48 inches so if i cut any off–then it wouldnt be long enough? just wanting to make sure i buy enough wood!! thanks so much!!

mackenzie

11. Marguarite on May 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I have one of those mirrors and the frame FELL off so I was going to pitch it….Then I saw this blog post and figured I’m already a 1/4 way to a beautiful mirror! Thanks for the great idea. 🙂

12. Julie M. on May 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Sweet! I used the same little miter saw to cut all of the millwork when I fixed up my kitchen.

: )

Julie M.

13. Brooke on May 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I LOVE this!! Did anyone put a clear coat over the stain or you don’t have to??

Thanks!!

14. Lauren H on May 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm

OK, moved into a rental several months ago and unpacked everything…except one of these mirrors. Realized in the past several weeks that I don’t have a floor length mirror and have been meaning to unpack it. NOW I’m really motivated to do it!!! AND it’s an excuse to use my Kreg jig and pewter glaze that I have on hand. Yeah!

Love it and TFS, Ashley!

15. Anne Ralston on May 17, 2012 at 4:46 pm

This looks fantastic! I would really like to do this project, I have the same mirror that you started with:) I just had one quick question, the length for the top and bottom of the frame is indicated at 7 1/4″(long end to long end) but that seems a little short, I just wanted to double check that that is the correct dimension before cutting my wood. Thanks for your help!

• Ashley on May 17, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Hi Anne! Thank you do much for catching that! It should read 17 1/4″!!

• Anne Ralston on May 18, 2012 at 7:18 am

Thank you so much! I am so excited to make this frame!

16. Pam B on May 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’ve been trying to figure out how to gussy up one of those cheapo mirrors to hang on the back of my bathroom door for a couple years now. That is the LAST piece of my bathroom remodel. I’ll be painting the frame a glossy red to go with the other accents in my black/white/red bathroom. Can’t wait to get it done now! Thanks!

17. Lisa Williams on May 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Lovely just what I was looking for.Thanks to the author for taking his time on this one.

18. Janet on May 15, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Have a cheapie mirror hanging in the bathroom. Have the stain from the centerpiece with the bottles that was my first project from you all! Off to HD tomorrow, just checked availability and they have alot at my store. Thanks for the tip. Darling!

19. Natalie on May 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm

GENIUS !! I love this idea ! totally trying it out 🙂

Natalie

20. Rebecca on May 15, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love everything y’all do on this blog. I would love to start building, ( I already craft / paint simple things now, but there is only so much you can do if you refuse to build). How did you get started? Are there any particular projects that are great for first-timers?
    Thanks!