$15 DIY Mirror

Hey there!  I just put together this mirror in about an hour and it only cost me $15!

how to make a mirror, mirror mate, mirror

I love the simplicity to it!  Here’s how you can make your own:)

I purchased this Mainstay door mirror from Wal-Mart for $5.  I had to do a little demolition on the cheap, plastic trim that was glued to it.

I started by ripping off the paper backing.

I then used a utility knife to cut the glue (it seemed to be close to a hot glue consistency).  Make sure that you cut where the glue and the trim meet.

Now this is the part that is very important.  The trim will come off very easily and without cracking the mirror if you pull it away from the mirror.  Do NOT try to bend it away from the mirror from front to back.  Just pull it away.

After I removed the trim I cleaned the mirror with a little Windex:)

Now for the frame:

If you have never owned a saw, this is the perfect tool for you to purchase!

It will make this project so easy and it is the perfect starter saw if you are interested in building!

I purchased 2 1×4 white wood boards and cut down 4 pieces with 45 degree angles at each end to build the frame.

2 @ 48″ (long point to long point)

2 @ 1 7 1/4″ (long point to long point)

This was the fun part for me because it was soooo easy:)  I flipped the boards over so that the bad sides were showing and glued the frame together with Gorilla Glue wood glue.  To keep them together while the dried, I used my staple gun (purchased years ago at Hobby Lobby).  It worked like a charm!

After the glue was dry, I flipped the frame over and stained it with Rust-Oleum dark walnut stain.  I let one coat sit for about 10 minutes!

For the final step, I attached the mirror to the back of the frame with Liquid Nails (I applied the liquid nails to the back of the frame (edges closest to the middle) and laid the mirror on top of it).  A little goes a long way.

I decided to prop it up next to my Pottery Barn Inspired Media Console🙂

I just love easy and cheap projects!  $15 and 1 hour for a decorative mirror is a steal:)  And the versatility is endless!  I would love one hanging on a wall in my house or even over my mantle!

If you love this I would LOVE your pins;)

Also, be sure to keep up with the Shanty Sisters on Facebook!

Ashley

1. Ally V on September 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This is so great! And I love that you take the time to respond to people’s comments, it really helped answer some of the questions I had. I’m going to try this with some mirrored closet doors that I have laying around the house. I’ll definitely have to get some thicker wood but I love the process you created!

2. Kassandrademongin on September 14, 2012 at 10:18 am

My liquid nails is drying!! Let’s hope this turns out okay!!!!

3. Anna on September 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm

OMGosh! This is so neat. Funny I bought a similar hand saw & box, because I wanted to try something like that. I still haven’t done it. But glad I saw your pin, & blog. I will now be braver and try it. Thanks so much. Do you think that it will work on a bathroom mirror?

4. Licorice Michaels on August 28, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I tried this with an Ikea mirror (very heavy) last month and it looked fabulous. But the other day the frame fell off the mirror and broke :(. I had used Liquid Nails “Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive” (HD guy convinced me it would work better). So I tried Liquid Nails “Mirror Adhesive”, waited the required 3 days, and the mirror fell off the frame the next day (I had it leaning against a wall on the floor, so no major damage this time).

I see you used Liquid Nails Paneling. I thought it said it wasn’t intended for mirrors in the fine print? Before I go out and buy yet another adhesive, could you please let me know if yours is still intact, and if you think a heavier mirror would do just as well with the Paneling glue? I’ll be beyond sad if it doesn’t end up working – it was absolutely GORGEOUS, I was in love with my mirror.

TIA!

• Shanty2Chic on August 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Hi,
      I have only used Liquid Nails for paneling. I have used it on so many mirrors in my house (even with MDF) and they r still strong today! In fact, I will have to replace my mirrors if I ever want to get rid of the frames because they r stuck on there good! I suggest using a good amount and if you will place the wood on the mirror with the L.N. on it, pull it away and then place it back, it will make it that much stronger. It’s a trick our dad taught us and we always do it!

• Licorice Michaels on August 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Awesome, thanks! I will definitely try the LN Paneling this week. I prefer to put the LN on the wood frame, as you did in the tutorial, then lay the mirror on top (I figure the heavy mirror and gravity would help it stick better). I will do it that way unless you think placing the wood on the mirror, pulling it away and then putting it back would work better….?

• Shanty2Chic on August 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Either way, the idea is to mix the glue and then stick again!

• pearson on May 26, 2013 at 7:38 pm

You should be able to use mirror clip holders on the BACK after your LN has dried. These are the same mirror clips that are used all the time by builders to hold up wall mirrors in bathrooms (usually w/o LN). Except you are using the mirror holders on the backside of the mirror where they are not seen.

• Lisa Faulkner Gosselin on August 3, 2013 at 2:56 pm

You might also put silicone all around outside edges of the mirror (backside) for extra security.

5. christine on August 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Love your site – this was my first project and it turned out great. Thanks for the awesome idea!

6. Pine Tree Home on August 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm
  7. Jen on August 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

My husband and I just finished staining the wood! It looks so good and was SO easy! Did you put any polyurethane on it?

• Shanty2Chic on August 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Awesome:)). I didn’t… I tend to just Poly when it is a table top or a piece that will see wear. Please send us pics:))

8. Nicole on August 15, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Just tried to do this and had the hardest time getting the original frame off of the mirror. I used the exact same mirror as you, and already bought all of the wood any everything. I tried to score it a few times on the corners, I’ve used two different brand new razor blades and the frame won’t budge. Actually, I now have a large crack in the mirror and have to throw it away and buy a new one. It was supposed to be for my college dorm, but now I will just have to buy a new one once I move in. This was a great idea, and super cute, but now has cost me more than just $15.

• Shanty2Chic on August 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’m sorry! We have had many people send pictures with theirs completed and a few complain about the glue? Maybe some are more difficult than others?

• Shanty2Chic on August 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Just had a crazy thought… On the next one maybe try ironing over the glue (with a cloth between the iron and mirror) and then try to score. This might make the glue softer?

• christine on August 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I had the same problem but chose to glue it to the wood frame as purchased. Worked great. You have to paint the back side of the wood frame. The space caused by the plastic frame allows the mirror to reflect the back of your wood frame but it is a cool added affect.

• Catherine Cooper Ehlinger on November 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Acetone acetone acetone. Breaks up the glue and doesn’t damage the mirror or eat the sliver off the back.

• Carrie on October 13, 2016 at 10:49 pm

You can use an iron to melt the glue. Although, this will get glue on the iron, so you wouldn’t be able to use it again for clothes unless it was fully cleaned.

9. Suz on August 7, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Is the wood supposed to entirely sit on the mirror with no overhand? With my 14″ 7/8″ x 48″, that doesn’t leave much mirror showing.

• Shanty2Chic on August 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm

That is the way I did mine. That is the one pictured. You can always modify:)

10. Lauren on August 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

SO glad I found this on Pinterest! I just bought a mirror from Target and can’t wait to try this with it. I’m new to blogging and am glad I found yours! Check mine out 🙂

2nd Grade Teacher, Chef-in-Training, Wannabe Southern Belle

The Sweetest Thing

11. Jana on July 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Where did you buy the wood for the frame and how much it cost?

12. Olivia on July 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Just a note to the other commenters: I got my mirror at Big Lots and it cost me $15, but then went to target and found a similar mirror for under $5! Also, I had a question about a polyurethane top coat: the rustoleum stain recommends you use one, but I didn’t see that you did, so I was wondering if you thought it is unnecessary? thanks so much! great idea by the way!!

13. Amanda||Eclectic Snapshots on July 17, 2012 at 10:37 am

This is fabulous! I just moved into a new house and have been on the hunt for a full length mirror …. was the mirror $5 in stores? Online has a price of $15.

• Shanty2Chic on July 17, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hi Amanda! Thanks so much! Yes, they are $5 in stores!! Not sure about online:)
      Sent from my iPad

14. Jessica Judyski on July 16, 2012 at 11:59 am

This is quite possibly the best mirror makeover I have found. Thanks for the step by step tutorial as well as links to the tools of the trade. I’m definitely asking for the saw for my birthday next month 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on July 17, 2012 at 10:40 am

Thank you Jessica! What a fun birthday present:))

Sent from my iPad

15. Cassandra on July 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I have one of these cheap mirrors and it is broken along one of the edges… would I be able to use that or should I get a mirror that has all of its edges? I couldn’t tell if the frame covers the edges or not!

Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on July 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yes! You definitely can use that mirror:)

16. Sheena on July 7, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I just started this project and am in the process of removing the original frame from the Walmart mirror. Did you have a difficult time getting the glue detached from the original frame? It seems that when I am doing this it is not giving way so easily. Thanks 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on July 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Hi sheena,
      I scored the glue line several times especially at the corners. The frame pulled off easy.
      Sent from my iPad

17. Meg on July 3, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’m confused about the measurements. I went to make this but something didn’t seem right when I went to buy the wood. I’m assuming 1×4 is 1 ft x 4 ft. It says you bought 2 of those. That would only give you enough wood to make the 2 sides at 48 inches (4 ft=48 inches) each correct? So I would need to buy extra wood to make the shorter top and bottom piece? Maybe I’m missing something here.

• Shanty2Chic on July 3, 2012 at 9:04 am

Hi, you purchase a 1×4 @ 8ft. They are called 1×4’s because they are 3/4″ thick and 3.5″ wide. So, you will purchase 2- 1×4’s at the standard 8ft long. Hope this helps.

18. Stefani on June 28, 2012 at 9:13 am

Could you do this with a jigsaw? I was recently talked out of buying a hand saw & mitre box similar to yours by the home depot lady and I bought a jigsaw instead. I’m scared to plug it in but I’m ready to get crafting!

19. Shermika on June 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Ashley you are the bomb girl! So glad I found this pin on Pinterest! We have a cheapo mirror that we were going to throw out, but the sis and I may spruce that little baby on up. I’m guessing we can get wood cut from Lowe’s or somewhere? We don’t have a hand saw and I surely don’t want to cut my fingers (I’m clumsy) 😉

20. Monica on June 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm

This is amazing – I’ve been scared to actually cut wood myself (get the hubby to do it), but you make it look so easy! Definitely going to try.