DIY $12 Magnetic Memo Board

Hey guys!  Hope you are all having a great week!  I am so excited to share my latest project with you!  I love having a place to stash little notes, photos and reminders in my kitchen.  With the addition of baby #5 I decided it was time to upscale my kitchen memo board. I made this for my counter, but you can also easily add a hanger to the back and make it for a wall!  Here is how it turned out…

This is super easy to make, and yah… Only $12! My kind of DIY ;-)!

I used 1 2×4 from Lowe’s for under $2.  I cut it into 5 – 16″ pieces.  You can also have the hardware store cut it for you!

I used Gorilla Wood Glue to attach my pieces.

You will need to hold them together until they dry which doesn’t take long.  I used a clamp, but tape works great too!  Very shanty… I know. 😉

While those were drying I worked on the tin and magnets.  I found this great tin at Hobby Lobby for $9 on clearance… Woohoo!  For those of you that don’t have a Hobby Lobby you can buy it online HERE! Make sure to use a coupon!

For my magnets I used some fun buttons from Hobby Lobby as well.  You can use anything for magnets, but I love the way these look with the tin!

I used a pair of pliers to cut the shank off the back like this…

And then gave both my tin and buttons a coat of Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Heirloom White.  While they were drying I stained my wood.  I used my very fav… Rust-Oleum Premium Wood Stain in Dark Walnut.  You can find it at Lowe’s.

After everything dried I used some sand paper to distress my tin a bit, and attached it to my wood like this.  I used Gorilla Glue Epoxy to attach it.

I held the tin in place with some tape until it dried.  I also used the Epoxy to attach little magnets to the back of my buttons.

That’s it! Super easy and cheap!! I love how big it is for this fam of 7!  I’m sure mine will be cluttered with reminders for late field trip forms and such, but for now I will make it cute 😉  Oh and I couldn’t resist adding a couple rosettes to the top.  It was begging for them.

What do you think??

Hope you like it!! It really is so easy to make, and can be used in pretty much any room in the house.  It also makes a great teacher gift, new baby gift… ok just about any kind of gift!  And I think the $12 makes it even cuter!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I would love for you to pin this like crazy below ;-)!! Thanks so much guys!! Have a great day!

1. Conni on May 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm

wow this looks great, I think I will make a few of them for my craft room!! Thanks

• www.WoodworkPlans.info on July 29, 2018 at 11:36 am

⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨

I LOVE the magnetic memo board I built, but I used a different plan that’s a bit better than the one on this website. I’m obsessed with mine! I built my own using the plans at www. WoodworkPlans.info – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Head on over to www. WoodworkPlans.info if you want to learn more – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

2. Stephanie on May 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm

So cute! I will be making this soon! I am pinning this also!

3. Katrine on May 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm

So cute! I’m thinking you should be able to use those tin ceiling tiles you can buy at Lowe’s. I’m thinking it would be inexpensive, but I would have to check. Thanks for sharing this, I hope to make one for a gift!

4. Sherri on May 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Noticed your comment to pin like crazy. Just thought I’d let you know that a week or two ago I pinned your DIY Magazine tray and within a day it had around 50 repins! 🙂 It’s amazing how fast they spread.
    Your work is very inspiring. Now if I could just turn off the blogs and get working….

5. lynn on May 3, 2012 at 8:57 am

did the tin tile come with the wood frame backing?

• Tammy Mitchell on May 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I was wondering the same thing.

6. Heidi Grady on May 3, 2012 at 8:39 am

What a great idea! Beautiful work, you are very creative! Love it. I am going to Pinit right now. You might want to see some of my project; I think you would like the Wine Bottle Lanterns. Love your blog 🙂

7. Carolyn on May 3, 2012 at 7:44 am

Love it!!!!

8. Jenn on May 3, 2012 at 7:03 am

This is adorable. I love it!
    Check out some of my cheap and easy DIYs and redos on my blog:

9. Terri on May 3, 2012 at 6:36 am

Good job! beautifully creative.

10. Desiree Kelley on May 3, 2012 at 6:20 am

That is so cute and simple to make! Thanks for sharing!!!

11. Janet on May 3, 2012 at 5:46 am

Adorable. On my to do list. The list is long!

12. Pam Robinson on May 3, 2012 at 12:39 am

Once again, you girls come up with another delightful project. I have said it before and I will say it again… you are awesome. Thanks a billion!!!

13. Ele on May 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Adorable!

14. Pam on May 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Cute idea.

15. Shanty2Chic on May 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Cortney…

Spray paint is about $3. Small stain is about $4. Epoxy and wood glue are both around $4. Hope this helps!

16. Cortney Hoppe on May 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Ok so I TOTALLY want to make these for all 4 of my kids teachers, anyone have a clue how much the glues are gonna cost me??? Wood glue and Epoxy, also paint and stain? Trying to get a ballpark figure see if I want to do this for sure for sure… Thanks!

17. Kristin on May 2, 2012 at 11:53 am

So cute! You guys never stop coming up with ideas!

18. Summer on May 2, 2012 at 11:36 am

I love this!!! Super cute (but so is everything else you
    Guys make). I have a huge list of recreates and a ton of it come
    Straight from your site! I’m curious about your kitchen! We are not far from a remodel and I love your cabinets! Did you buy them that color? Paint them? Professionally painted? I want pictures! 🙂 Thanks!!! Summer

19. Karen @ The Quaint Cottage on May 2, 2012 at 11:13 am

Super cute! Love the idea.

20. Kristin on May 2, 2012 at 10:47 am

Very nice! Live the button magnets.