Shanty Memo Frame!

Hey friends!

My girls have been begging for a memo board ever since I made their brother’s memo board a few months back.  I love how easy his is to use, and also that it doesn’t leave thumbtacks or magnets laying around for the babies to snack on 😉

I altered theirs just a bit, and I love it!

This was so simple to make!! I did it during naptime today!

First, you will need an empty frame.  I have had mine sitting in the garage for years (literally), but you can also find them at Hobby Lobby, Michael’s or Joann’s on clearance.  Goodwill is a great place to look also!

Here is mine before…

I gave it a coat of Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Summer Squash… The perfect yellow!

While that was drying, I started on my flowers.  You know… if there is an empty space anywhere I like to put a rosette on it ;-)!  That’s just how I roll!  You can see my tutorial on these HERE.

After the frame dried I started adding my twine.  This is the twine I used from Hobby Lobby.  It’s thick and I love it!

I used my staple gun to attach it to the back in one continuous piece.  There was no measuring or planning at all to this part… Just the good ol’ eyeball.

Staple guns are super cheap.  I think every woman should own one.  Between that and a hot glue gun, you can craft just about anything! Promise!  I got mine at Lowe’s.

Here is the back of my frame…

I hot glued my flowers to the front after this step.  I also found this cute hook at Hobby Lobby.  I gave it a good coat of another Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch color…

Berry Pink… So cute!

I hung the hook on the wall, wrapped some twine around the top of the frame to hold it and I was done.  I used wood clothespins for the pictures.  Simple!

With the free frame I made this entire project for almost nothing!  And my girlies love it!  Of course in a few days it will be covered with lots of other goodies, but for now I added a few shots of the kids to share it with you!

Hope you like it as much as they do!  It’s a fun little addition to their room that cost me very little time and even less money… Woohoo!

I would love for you to Pin my memo frame below and share the love 😉

Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great night!!

1. Betsy Olenick on December 14, 2017 at 5:37 am

anyone have any ideas how to make this more unisex? other options instead of rosettes to decorate frame as i am hoping to make one of these but not sure if it will be for a boy or a girl??

2. Pam Westom on April 21, 2015 at 12:06 am

what size staples/staple gun did you use to staple the jute onto the wood?

3. Ashley B. on April 6, 2015 at 5:46 pm

I cant wait to start making this for my 4 y/o daughter 🙂

4. Susie on June 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I’m always taping memory verses, sight words and pics to the fridge or window in our kitchen… I have a wall that is screaamming for this!!! I too love summer squash yellow, my new accent color for our kitchen! Perfect weekend project, just need a long and lean frame to get started.

5. chloe on April 6, 2014 at 9:34 am

thank you so much! I made this for my 13 year old daughter and she loved it! we did have some problems hanging it though.

6. Valia Chatzipapa on March 4, 2013 at 2:51 am

Thats a really great idea. I’m searching a frame for my living room. But also i was inspired i made smaller frames as Christmas presents. If you want you can see them at my blog. Thanks for sharing.

7. Monica Nicole Miller on February 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Thank you— this is so cute!! I made my daughter one today.

8. beva on September 27, 2012 at 6:11 am

New reader……brilliant !!!!

9. Jennifer Roddy on August 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm

let me count the ways I love this!!!!!!

10. Melanie S. Gordon on August 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Love, love, love this project…..and I am going to get a couple of these items because they would make great Christmas gifts. What a great idea!!!!!! I have all kinds of notes taped to my computer desk…..and even some stacked under my keyboard. This would be a neat thing for me to have. Thank you!!!!!!

11. vintagegypsy on August 14, 2012 at 10:30 am

Love the frame…. But I love love love the night stand!!!!!!

12. Jeran www.oleanderandpalm.com on July 16, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Well done, I made a similar frame for displaying prints at a craft fair. But, yours is to die for with the cute little flowers.

• Shanty2Chic on July 17, 2012 at 5:29 am

That is great Jeran! I would love to see yours! I took a look at your blog and fell in LOVE with your dining room. So beautiful! I want that built in hutch soooo badly… Take care! 😉

13. Brenda Nickolaus on June 12, 2012 at 9:39 am

I was just in the garage looking at my frames! this is a great idea! love the jute backing…thanks for the idea!

14. Kaili on May 30, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I printed photos off of my cousin’s online album and made this for her housewarming gift. I loved it so much I immediatley dug through my old frames and made myself one. Thanks for the idea!

15. Sonya on May 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Too adorable! I can’t help but to put on my copycat list. I’ll be sure to share & mention your the genius behind my inspiration.

16. Heather on May 23, 2012 at 8:10 am

Where did you get their adorable quilts for their bedspreads? Did you make these?? Their room is beautiful!

17. northern cottage on May 23, 2012 at 6:48 am

love it – so funny that you mention the stapler – I just bought one YESTERDAY – my hub has one but I wanted MY OWN! two peas in a pod – totally on the hunt for a frame now to whip one of these babies up! thanks so much for the great inspiration! xo

18. Jenni Swenson on May 23, 2012 at 6:38 am

Cute idea… i’ve seen it with chicken wire… love the twine!

19. Sissie on May 23, 2012 at 4:47 am

This is a very cute memo board and so easy to make. I love it. I just might have to borrow this idea!

hugs
    Sissie

20. Mary on May 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I love this and just realized this evening that my yardsale find picture that has been hanging in my bedroom for years is too big to fit over my new bed and the frame is too fab to just let it go, I am thinking Christmas though. White or silver and adding rosettes or something in the shape of christmas trees then displaying all my cards on it. Thanks, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!

• Shanty2Chic on May 22, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Good thinking Mary!! I would love to see it when you get it finished! 🙂

• Holly on May 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Ooooo! I love that idea, too, for the Christmas tree in the frame for the cards!

Thanks for the fun tutorial! It’s very cute and totally doable in a short amount of time!

21. Jodi on May 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Cute! And you must share the secret to keeping the floor so clean! 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on May 22, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Haha Jodi… You only see the floor in the picture ;-)!!