Pottery Barn Inspired DIY Dresser

Hey friends! I am SO excited to share my latest build!  This next one has been a long time coming.  This has been where my son’s tv has been resting for the last few months…

I know… Pretty shanty, right?? 😉

I have been avoiding tackling  a dresser for sometime, because I thought it might be too hard.  Well I am happy to report that it did not kill me, and it really wasn’t too difficult at all!  The best part??  His tv and clothes now have a new home!  Here it is!  Ana gave me a great set of easy plans to follow and you can see them HERE!

DIY Pottery Barn Dresser

I will say that the Kreg Jig® is a MUST for this build.  If you need another excuse to finally go and buy one, just check our last 10-15 furniture projects.  You need one… I promise!

I will show you a few tips here, and you can get the full set of plans for my Pottery Barn Inspired Dresser HERE on Ana White’s site!

I used my Kreg Jig® on lots of parts!

The sides…

Kreg Jig Pocket Holes

pocket hole jig

The base…

pocket holes in base

The base looks like this after it is attached…

This is a picture of the top before I attached it to the dresser.

Kreg Jig

I used Gorilla Wood Glue on ALL of my joints!  LOVE!  It never fails, and it is our very favorite glue!

For this piece I was finally able to try out some PureBond Hardwood Plywood.  I have heard lots about it, and it certainly lived up to it’s hype for me!  I used 3/4″ birch from Home Depot and had the nice man at Home Depot cut it into 15 3/4″ strips as Ana calls for in the plans.  This saved me lots of time, and made it much easier to carry home!

I will be sharing later a more specific tutorial on working with metal drawer slides, but Ash gives a few tips HERE on her Pottery Barn inspired coffee table!

Here it is all finished up and ready for a good coat of stain!

DIY Wood Dresser

I used the same stain on this piece that I used on the other pieces I made for his room.  This stain is the BOMB.  It dries in less than an hour, and only requires 1 coat.  As a mommy with lots to do, this makes me super happy!

Rust-Oleum Wood Stain

Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut

For my hardware I matched what I used previously.  These sash pulls can be found at Lowe’s for cheapo!

My hubby helped me move it into his room and I took a few more pictures for you guys!

DIY Pottery Barn Dresser

Hope you LOVE it!  I do!  Sure beats the old clothes basket… just sayin!

I would love for you to share this and Pin it below!

You can also check out the other pieces I have made for his room!

DIY Nightstand

DIY Restoration Hardware Nightstand

DIY Bookcase

DIY Bookcase

DIY Platform Bed

DIY Pottery Barn Platform Bed

DIY Wood Shelves

$20 Easy Shelves!!

Thanks so much for stopping by guys!  Make sure to check Ana’s site for the full set of plans on this great DIY dresser!

1. Natalie on January 16, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hey guys! I LOVE this dresser and I think it’s just what I’m looking for… for a bathroom vanity! Do you think it would work for this?? We would run the pipes through the wall and come in the back, and put white vessel sinks on top. We’d seal the top of the dresser so it doesn’t get affected by the water (any suggestions on a product?). My husband and I are both tall, but I’m worried about the dresser+vessel sink being too high – what do you think? Anything else I should be considering if I were to use this as a rustic vanity? Thanks!! You guys are amazingly inspiring!

• shannon on January 23, 2014 at 11:20 pm

A marine varnish or some sort would seal the top. Do a search for a high quality sealer in water areas. How tall are you? 36″ Vanity is now becoming the norm so it should work. Wherever you put the sink or sinks you would just use a false drawer or a door instead of a drawer. There is also an option of making a u shaped drawer to go around the plumbing.

2. Stephanie Craven on January 2, 2014 at 10:28 am

Hey, I love the stain color! I’ve recently started building with Ana White plans, and I’m about to stain a piece, but wondered if you used pre-conditioner, or just went for it with the stain? Thanks! That dresser is gorgeous, it’s now on my forever-long “to do list”. 😉

3. Linda Crandall on July 28, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Finished the dresser! Wow, what a project – stretched my our minds on this one! Picture attached

• Ellie on February 22, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Sorry to sort of repeat my question from above- but could you please explain when/how you attached the drawer slides with these plans? I am confused as to how they work. Maybe I should not be attempting a dresser quite yet!!! I saw the plans call for the bottom mount drawer slides, but as i look online it seems like there are more simple styles of slides available?! Thanks for any insight!!!!!!!!

4. D Davis on May 1, 2013 at 6:22 am

You are absolutely incredible…to be able to make this with little to no help. I’ve always wanted to make and furniture pieces, but also way too scared. it doesn’t sound impossible at all, but I’m still hesitant. This may have been the boost I needed.

5. Ericka on April 7, 2013 at 4:04 pm

would you mind letting me know exactly which Kreg Jig is the one you own?? I really am interested in doing th dresser for my room!.. Its amazing!

6. Caren Henderson Freeman on March 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Love it! I just bought a Kreg Jig day before yesterday so I can start making some of these wood projects. My husband is a bit surprised! LOL! Thanks, I love your site.

7. Sharon Berry on January 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm

That is FABULOUS! I’m seriously inspired by everything you do. I just found your blog a month or so ago and am loving it. Really wonderful!

Sharon @ http://www.lilikoijoy.com

8. Charlie Ries on October 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Did you achieve that rustic look with just one solid coat of the stain you showed? It’s inconsistent and “rugged looking” by nature?

9. orangesugar on October 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Where does one find high grade 2×2’s? I have only ever seen hobby stock that is max 36″ tall and cheap furring strips that are full of knots and most if not all are twisted/warped etc..

10. Nina Hibbler on October 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

How awesome. I wish I were are great working with wood as I am with my other projects. Working with wood will have to be my next step… I’ll need some power tools first outside of my drill.

11. Eva on September 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I really need a new dresser for my bedroom and can’t find anything anywhere that I love AND can afford. I’m a beginner builder and have only tackled some small projects BUT just got a miter saw for my anniversary, yay!! So excited.
    My question would be: instead of the open bottom, could I add two more dressers? If yes, would I still need the bottom?
    Silly questions, I know. I’m really kinda scared of attempting to make a dresser, I’ve had some issues building square….oops, not good when dealing with drawers.
    So, if you guys have any tips of keeping things square..that would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Love your blog, you guys are incredibly inspiring.
    Eva

• shannon on January 23, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Make sure you make all of your cuts precise especially the ones that are the same size. Use a square when putting together corners to check for square. You can also pull a tape diagonally across to check for square by making sure that the number you get on both is the same. Being square is about taking the time and making the cuts right. When the back goes on it too will help square up the dresser as long at that too is square.

12. carinb on September 18, 2012 at 8:01 am

Starting this dresser and have a few ?’s about purchasing the wood. What type of wood did you use for the 1×2, 1×6, 1×8, 2×2 strips? We found the birch plywood, but can’t get birch in these sizes? Did you use a different species or am I missing something?

• Shanty2Chic on September 18, 2012 at 8:24 am

I used pine for all the boards… It stains the same as the plywood and it’s the cheapest. I also like that you can see the wood grain. Hope this helps!

13. confused on July 31, 2012 at 10:18 am

working on building the dresser and the plans call to mark out all PH’s and drill 3/4H’s… what is a PH and the H???? sorry I don’t know but this will be the first thing I ever attempt to build!

14. csterndster on July 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

Hey! I love the blue in your room, can you tell me what paint color it is?

• Shanty2Chic on July 22, 2012 at 6:07 am

The blue is a Valspar color called Blue Twilight. Hope this helps!!

15. l.fightmaster. on July 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

I just love all of your work!!! My husband and I are planning on building this entire set! LOVE IT!!!

• Shanty2Chic on July 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

That is so awesome!! I can’t wait to see pics!

16. Felicia Smith on July 9, 2012 at 9:01 am

Love, love, love all your projects! Just trying to get the plans for the dresser and the website is down. Does this happen often or will it be back up again shortly? I can’t wait to make something:)

• Shanty2Chic on July 10, 2012 at 5:36 am

It does happen sometimes, but usually only for a few hours! Print them next time you are on there in case it happens again! Good luck!

17. Emma on June 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm

You are amazing! All the furniture is beautiful.

18. JenWoodhouse.com on June 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Seriously impressed here. I love the build, but love the finish even more! Great job! I’m putting this on my to-do list and will come back and share once I get ‘er done!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm

We would love to see it!! Thank you Jen :-)!!

• JenWoodhouse.com on June 29, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Quick question… for your Kentwood nightstand and bookcase: did you use pine? And for this wide dresser project, you used birch?

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I did use pine for those. I just recently learned about PureBond plywood and it’s benefits. The birch stains almost exactly the same as pine boards do, which is why I went that direction with the dresser. You can get the PureBond at HD. Let me know if you have any other ?’s! 🙂

• JenWoodhouse.com on June 30, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thanks for the replies! I’m excited to get started, I’m so inspired. And next, methinks a how-to post about your finishing techniques is in high demand, judging from all the questions!

• Shanty2Chic on July 1, 2012 at 5:24 am

Good call Jen… I’m on it! Send some pics of the pieces you build when you get them finished 🙂

19. Mary Bradley Fritz on June 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm

My son and I are very excited (well, I’m excited but he’s willing) to tackle some of these projects over the summer! He doesn’t know that my goal is to give him a college student worthy room. I have been researching the Kreg Jig and, while it’s spendy, I know that it will go a long way. Which model/setup do you most recommend?

20. Anne Davis on June 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

You are freaking amazing! This looks like something I would buy in a store… new follower – found you on Pinterest 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm