Pottery Barn Inspired DIY Dresser

Hey friends! I am SO excited to share my latest build!  This next one has been a long time coming.  This has been where my son’s tv has been resting for the last few months…

I know… Pretty shanty, right?? 😉

I have been avoiding tackling  a dresser for sometime, because I thought it might be too hard.  Well I am happy to report that it did not kill me, and it really wasn’t too difficult at all!  The best part??  His tv and clothes now have a new home!  Here it is!  Ana gave me a great set of easy plans to follow and you can see them HERE!

DIY Pottery Barn Dresser

I will say that the Kreg Jig® is a MUST for this build.  If you need another excuse to finally go and buy one, just check our last 10-15 furniture projects.  You need one… I promise!

I will show you a few tips here, and you can get the full set of plans for my Pottery Barn Inspired Dresser HERE on Ana White’s site!

I used my Kreg Jig® on lots of parts!

The sides…

Kreg Jig Pocket Holes

pocket hole jig

The base…

pocket holes in base

The base looks like this after it is attached…

This is a picture of the top before I attached it to the dresser.

Kreg Jig

I used Gorilla Wood Glue on ALL of my joints!  LOVE!  It never fails, and it is our very favorite glue!

For this piece I was finally able to try out some PureBond Hardwood Plywood.  I have heard lots about it, and it certainly lived up to it’s hype for me!  I used 3/4″ birch from Home Depot and had the nice man at Home Depot cut it into 15 3/4″ strips as Ana calls for in the plans.  This saved me lots of time, and made it much easier to carry home!

I will be sharing later a more specific tutorial on working with metal drawer slides, but Ash gives a few tips HERE on her Pottery Barn inspired coffee table!

Here it is all finished up and ready for a good coat of stain!

DIY Wood Dresser

I used the same stain on this piece that I used on the other pieces I made for his room.  This stain is the BOMB.  It dries in less than an hour, and only requires 1 coat.  As a mommy with lots to do, this makes me super happy!

Rust-Oleum Wood Stain

Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut

For my hardware I matched what I used previously.  These sash pulls can be found at Lowe’s for cheapo!

My hubby helped me move it into his room and I took a few more pictures for you guys!

DIY Pottery Barn Dresser

Hope you LOVE it!  I do!  Sure beats the old clothes basket… just sayin!

I would love for you to share this and Pin it below!

You can also check out the other pieces I have made for his room!

DIY Nightstand

DIY Restoration Hardware Nightstand

DIY Bookcase

DIY Bookcase

DIY Platform Bed

DIY Pottery Barn Platform Bed

DIY Wood Shelves

$20 Easy Shelves!!

Thanks so much for stopping by guys!  Make sure to check Ana’s site for the full set of plans on this great DIY dresser!

1. Steve on July 3, 2019 at 8:46 am

great job ladies! I’m gonna try this so wish me luck. Question for you – how did you attach the top to the cabinet? finish nails from the top or did you come up from below so no nail holes on top? Thanks so much and again great job!

2. Laura on August 4, 2018 at 8:51 am

If pinterest had speed dial you would be programed at #1!!! I have discovered the pocket hole thanks to you and I have made lots of your projects. Thanks for the inspiration girls!

3. Amanda on April 11, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Can you give an estimated cost for this project?

4. Sàn Gỗ/Bàn Ghế Ngoài Trời on December 15, 2017 at 4:00 am

Wowww, Very good

5. Marisa Braungart on August 1, 2016 at 9:51 am

Hi! Thinking about making this for my room. Is it possible to swap out that plywood top and create a planked top? Do you have any tips on just how to do that or what pieces of pine I should get in order to achieve the planked look? Thanks!!

6. Ellie on February 22, 2015 at 10:20 pm

I am terribly confused as to where/when to attach the drawer slides!? In Ana’s plans it isn’t quite clear- I’m confused because the plans say you ‘may’ want to add “a 1×2 blocking” in the illustration listed under step #7, but aren’t these required if you’re adding the drawer slides (in order for them to be attached to something?) Sorry for the confusing question I just have all the lumber ready and am stuck at this point in the plans and don’t want to start building til I get a clearer image/idea as to how to do this!! Maybe it is simple and I am missing something!! Thanks ladies, love all your plans/tips/ideas!!!! ~Ellie

7. JenWoodhouse.com on October 27, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hey lady!
    I’m about to build this dresser for my son’s room and was wondering how it’s been holding up after a couple years, drawer slides and all?

8. Miranda Mueters on July 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Finished this dresser!! But after staining it with the same stain you use, it looks a lot different! Why?! I love the look you have! Not sure what to do now!

9. JT on May 13, 2014 at 5:16 pm

This is great. I’m a little late to the game – maybe you can still help. Did you use nails like Ana’s plans say or all screws? Also, did you just put the drawers in as is or did you use drawer slides?

10. Sarah Shulenberger on March 31, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Amazing job! About how long did it take you to make each piece?

11. Brittney Adams-Vivian on February 13, 2014 at 2:45 pm

What colours of paints do you have on the walls? I love the contrast.

• Brittney Adams-Vivian on February 13, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I saw the blue was Valspars Blue twilight but what shade is the top and trim colour?