Anthropologie For Less!

Hey there!  I’m so excited to share my new Anthropologie Inspired Printers Cabinet!

Vintage CabinetI was smitten with the Anthropologie original I spotted but at a whopping $1,698.00, I knew that I needed to enlist the help of our very talented friend, Ana White to design something similar!

Here are the steps I took to build this baby, with Purebond Plywood, for $200 ~ INCLUDING hinges and pulls!

Purebond Plywood

Frame constructed.  I chose a sheet of 3/4″ Purebond in Birch for the entire frame.  I had the nice guys at Home Depot rip the boards down for me which made it much easier to fit into my SUV and cut once I got them home!  We shared why we have pledged to build with Purebond HERE.

Purebond

Face on the frame.

Pocket Hole System

Of course, Kreg made a huge appearance in this post!  From the frame to the trim, every screw is hidden thanks to my Kreg Jig!

Planked top

Doors

cabinet door hinges

I LOVE these hinges!  I also installed them in my Pottery Barn Inspired Media Console.  You can get them at Home Depot for $3 per set.  They are very strong and easy to install!

Rust-Oleum Stain

This is the stain I used on this piece! Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Early American.

The color is a new Shanty favorite!  You can find it at Lowe’s.  We also used it on our Shanty Hall Tree Bench!

anthropologie copycat

I found these great pulls on Amazon for $2.38 each!  I also got a discounted shipping rate for purchasing 12 ~ whoop!!

diy furniture

printers cabinet

vintage cabinet

how to build a dresser

pullsAhhhh I am loving this cabinet under our TV in our bedroom!  It has great storage, I love the stain color and it was only $200!!!  Thanks again to Ana for her awesome FREE DIY Vintage Printers Cabinet plans!

And, because I love to give good recommendations when I have them, I am so happy to share with all of you DFW locals, PGAV Audio Video Solutions.   Patrick is a close family friend of ours and he did a phenomenal job hiding all of our ugly cords behind our walls!  He has over 20 years of experience in the Audio Video Industry!   If you are interested in having a flat screen mounted, a home theater installed…anthing Audio/Video Related, email him for an estimate at [email protected] and tell him the Shanty Sisters sent you:)

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Ashley

1. Edward on November 1, 2015 at 9:42 am

Beautiful work! Working through it now… One question: your wood looks wonderfully distressed. What wood did you buy? Common board pine? Something else?
    Trying with common board now, just curious and it seems like a great project with reclaimed wood too.

• Shanty2Chic on November 1, 2015 at 9:52 am

Thank you! Yes, common board pine 🙂 it is perfect for a reclaimed wood project!

2. Charity Scott on March 4, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Why does this stain look so different from the stain used on the Pottery Barn inspired island y’all did in Early American by Rust-Oleum? I’m guessing it’s the lighting?

3. Crissie Hardy McDowell on October 15, 2014 at 1:28 pm

LOVE!!! Just saw this on your instagram post. We don’t have PUREBOND in Boise…will regular ol’ plywood be ok or is it going to look like junk?

4. Jeni Eligh on November 23, 2013 at 7:41 am

Good morning – I’m wondering how many coats of stain you applied, and if the pictures reflect it’s true finished color.
    Thank you Ashley!

• Shanty2Chic on November 23, 2013 at 8:40 am

Hi Jeni,
      I applied 1 and yes! I did not alter the color of the photo so this is true to color. Thanks!
      Ashley

5. Patsy Gork on October 8, 2013 at 4:56 pm

How did you attach the faux drawer 1×4 and 1×2’s together? Do they just attach to the 1×3’s and thats it? No nailing or gluing each other?

6. Sharon on August 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Wow! You knocked it out of the ballpark. Your printer’s cabinet is beautiful.

• Shanty2Chic on August 6, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thanks so much Sharon;)

7. Charlotte Smith on August 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm

OMG, almost had a heart attack when I thought of you making all those tiny little drawers and am SO pleased to see the false fronts! (Nothing good ever fits in those shallow drawers!) SO bummed to miss you at Haven, but planning to know all about your for next year! Gorgeous piece! xx Charlotte @ Ciburbanity

8. Carly Lynn Bergman on June 29, 2013 at 12:25 pm

You ladies have inspired me so much to make this myself! From the time I saw it I knew it was perfect for my living room! Thank you so much for making all your projects to easy to understand and thank you to the amazing Ana White!!! On to the next project!!!

• Clare Golemon on August 6, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Wow! That’s really beautiful! I wish I could get my husband to clean out our garage so I would have room to “play.”

• Shanty2Chic on August 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm

LOL! Thank you Clare:)

9. Eat.Style.Play on March 21, 2013 at 1:59 pm

i’ve been searching online all day for a stain like this. I’m getting a dresser from ikea thats untreated and I plan on staining everything before i put it together. Also your piece came out perfectly!

10. Bonnie Moore on February 2, 2013 at 9:05 am

wow, this is incredible!!!

11. DeborahAldridge on December 1, 2012 at 8:09 am

Another awesome project. Shared your blog on my FB page. Love this! I’m determined to learn to build furniture.

12. Naomi on October 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

I found your blog through Ana White because I am building her Media Console. She uses the hinges you describe, but I am having a hard time finding them. My Home Depot says “we don’t sell them” but, quite honestly, I am sure they do. Do you have a link or a name for the hinges so I can find them? Thank you for your help! The cabinet looks fabulous; I may have to add to my Build List!

13. Claire on October 12, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Do you have to sand before staining this material?

14. Christa on September 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

Awesome job! I think it looks better than anthropologie’s.

15. Katie on September 14, 2012 at 5:53 pm

This is amazing! Where did you learn to build furniture!?! Jealous.

I love the stain I plan on using it to refinish this sofa table from craigslist. Did you only use the stain? Varnish or any other finish? Is a finish necessary?

I just LOVE what you did. It’s amazing.

16. Davidfe on September 6, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Ashley,
    Quote:
    “I love the stain color and it was only $200!!!”

Did you really pay $ 200.00 for the finish?

• Shanty2Chic on September 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I wrote “It has great storage, I love the stain color and it was only $200.” “It” was referring to the cabinet in the beginning of the sentence. I again referred to “it” (the cabinet) at the end of the sentence. Thank you for the grammatical critique:). Now on to building;)
      Sent from my iPad