DIY Desk for Bedroom – Farmhouse Style

Hey guys!

I hope you all had a great weekend!  I spent mine getting ready for the kids’ first day of school, and finishing up some things in my bedroom.

One thing I have been in need of  is a new desk.  I lost my old work space with the addition of a 5th baby last year, so I now use the sitting area in my bedroom as my office.  I was wanting a desk that was functional, but also pretty.  I love the look of my fancy farmhouse table I did with Ana White, so I asked her to help me draw up plans for a desk inspired by that style.

Want to see it?  I am in LOVE.

This was really so easy to build!  The base is made up of a few 2×4’s and all the angles are 45 degrees which really made it fast.

I will share a few pics and tips, and you can find the full set of plans over on Ana White’s site.

I started by making my bases…

For all of the steps above, I used finish nails and Gorilla Wood Glue.  The legs were super sturdy.

I did choose to use my Kreg Jig to make the  runners for under the table top.  I knew I wanted that part extra strong, and the Kreg Jig also makes it so much easier.  Plus, I was able to hide all of my pocket holes in the back.

Here is where I put my pocket holes on mine…

This is my board in the middle at the top of the desk.

And here is the back board on the top of the desk…

My bottom piece of wood…

For the table top I chose to use a 24×72″ pine project panel rather than planking with 2x’s.  I wanted a flat writing surface,  and knew this would work great.  I just used finish nails from the top, and filled them with stainable wood putty before I stained it.

I used Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Kona.  The finish matches perfect with the other pieces in my bedroom.

rust-oleum wood stain

I also finished the table top with Rust-Oleum Polyurethane.  This stuff is great!  You can’t even see where you have applied it, and  it protects the wood from water and kids 😉 !

best polyurethane

I added a few accessories and I was done!  What do you think??

I have done LOTS of new projects in my bedroom!  I will be sharing more of them over the next couple of weeks!  Thank you so much for stopping by!

Make sure to check out the full plans for this amazing desk over at Ana-White.com.  Thanks so much for working with me on this one Ana!  I love it!!

1. Kris on January 17, 2019 at 10:46 am

obsessed with this desk! This is our weekend project 🙂

2. Faith Julian on October 2, 2018 at 1:15 pm

LOVE IT! what are the measurements

3. Jennifer Cooper on April 25, 2016 at 10:51 am

If we don’t have a nail gun, will using a hammer with the finish nails cause any undo damage to the 2×4’s?

4. Jonathan Yanes on November 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I love this desk. I am wondering if you or anyone could help me out though. I want to make this a corner desk. Say one side 5 ft and the other 7 ft. My problem is how to join the two tables to make an L. The way the legs are. Anyone have any thoughts or a sketch that would help? Thanks

• amy on March 13, 2020 at 7:05 pm

i also love this desk but need a bit more space a L shaped would be amazing but i have no idea on how to make one any chance you lady’s could put plans out for this?
      thanks

5. Missie Taylor Byrd on November 10, 2014 at 7:41 am

Do you have any recommendations on how to use a kreg jig? I have never used one before. Do you predrill the main board and the connecting board or just the main board?

6. Jason Mueller on October 29, 2014 at 8:45 am

Late to the discussion but happy I found these plans on your site! I built this in roughly 4 hours yesterday not counting the time I had to run back to Lowes and grab some more wood due to rookie mistakes when it came to the 45 degree miter cuts for the cross support beams. Staining today and already I can tell that this piece will be the center of attention as we’ll be using it as a side table that will sit behind our couch in the living room. As a first project, I was surprised at just how easy this was to build. I’m now making excuses to build all kinds of things instead of spending the $$$ at other high end furniture stores…cough RH…

7. Justin Bamberg on October 21, 2014 at 9:58 am

Finished my desk. Added a handmade live edge effect. The only change I made was remove the back angle boards because it would cover my outlet. Just as strong and supported without them.

8. Kim on April 3, 2014 at 6:25 am

Do you do any big desks? Like a free standning desk for an office?

9. Dallas Pagach on November 23, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Started making this table today. It’s coming along nicely.

Question for the group who’s made this before; Anyone have trouble with the legs/base coming out square.

I assembled the legs together, and it is out of square by about 3/4″. The top rocks corner to corner.

Any suggestions. Using shims was my first though on a fix.

Thanks!

• Matt Masulis on November 29, 2013 at 8:19 pm

This may sound like a dumb question but since each of the small “feet” on the desk are 3/4″… are they all attached? I had no trouble with the legs coming out square and can’t really think of any other possibilities.

10. Matt Masulis on November 2, 2013 at 12:50 am

Hi Whitney!

I just completed this thanks to you and Ms. Ana White. Thank you so much! I wanted to share the finished product with you!

– Matt

11. valleegrl on September 18, 2013 at 8:45 am

Just finished making this last week. Let the poly cure for a week and brought it in yesterday. I stained the top panel and painted the legs(whole bottom) and off white.
    Everyone loves it!

12. Tanya on August 11, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Gorgeous!!! Your desk looks amazing and I love this space so much 🙂

13. Peggy Johnson Farley on August 11, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Great job!! Beautiful bedroom!! Makes me want redo mine!! Thanks for sharing!!

14. Tara Mckee on August 9, 2013 at 7:06 am

This is such a great idea that I thought I would attempt it for my 16 yr. old son. So materials are bought and we are ready to roll; however, quick question. The store only had 2″ PH screws, so I bought them. Can you tell me if these would work rather than the 2 1/2″ before I destroy something?! 🙂 BTW just love this table!

15. Kerri Taylor on July 13, 2013 at 10:37 am

Could you tell me what carpet you have in this room?

16. Danyell Heslip-Mantooth on March 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Love this! It a gorgeous piece! Where is the chair from, it compliments the desk so perfectly but I noticed you have a lot of metal chairs in you home as well as accent pieces, I love this!

• Andrea Dyck on April 5, 2014 at 10:45 am

I got some exactly the same yesterday that are from target!

• Liz Walker on September 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Is this chair comfortable? It is still at target, and I am thinking about getting it to go with this desk! I love the look in the photo 🙂 Any feedback would be great!

17. Darcy Gaines on February 9, 2013 at 4:17 pm

LOVE IT….GREAT JOB!!! Did you do anything special to the edges of the top of the desk…I think you refered to it as project plywood.

18. Kristin on January 25, 2013 at 7:40 am

Any tips for getting the stain smell out of the wood? I made this desk with the same exact stain you used and we let it air out for a few days outside but everytime we bring it in the whole house smells of the fumes…ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!!

• Matt Masulis on November 27, 2013 at 10:21 am

I haven’t had the stain smell problem but I bet a coat of poly would take care of it. If you don’t want the shine of the poly you can opt for a matte finish polyurethane instead.

19. Melanie Toutai on December 8, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Where did you get that metal chair? I love it!

• Andrea Dyck on April 5, 2014 at 10:45 am

I got some exactly the same from target yesterday 🙂