Shanty Hall Tree Bench

Happy Monday guys!!

We have such a fun plan to share with you guys today!

Last week Ashley and I teamed up to build this amazing hall tree!

How cute is that??

Ashley and I teamed up withPureBond Plywood to not only build this piece, but also video the entire process… From buying the wood to moving the finished piece into the house.  So fun!

We will be sharing those videos soon, and we hope they will inspire all of you to get your hands on some power tools and get to work!

We wanted to build a piece that would showcase the amazing PureBond Plywood, and I think we hit the nail on the head with this one ;-)!

The thought of building beautiful furniture with plywood may sound a bit strange.  It did to us as well!  That was until we learned about PureBond Plywood.

PureBond Plywood can be found at any Home Depot.

What sold us on PureBond

~ It uses Formaldehyde-free glue (scary to think we have been breathing in harmful chemicals until now)

~ It’s made in AMERICA… Whoop!!!

~ It’s made with wood from sustainable forests

~ It’s extremely easy to work with

~ Biggest selling point for us… It’s BEAUTIFUL!  You get the look of real hard wood for a fraction of the cost.  Home Depot stocks birch and oak.  You can also order hickory, maple, you name it and have it delivered to your store… Love that!

So after learning the benefits of PureBond Plywood, we will never go back.  It’s such an obvious choice and it fits quite nicely in our shanty budgets!

Let’s talk about the math on this one…

We found a similar hall tree online that sold for close to $1400.  Wowzers.  No thanks!  So… Of course we enlisted the help of our sweet friend Ana to make us some plans to create our own at a fraction of the cost.

Our total cost for this build… $120!  Yah.  I think that makes the hall tree even prettier 😉

Just a few quick tips…

~We chose to use PureBond Oak

~We chose to use 1×3 for the bottom trim, and we used 1×4 and 1×3 for the top trim.  We love the rustic look, and we love that it saved even more money.

Here are just a few more photos of this great hall tree!

Hope you love it as much as we do!  We are super excited to share the video tutorials with you soon!

Make sure to check out the full plans for this great hall tree over at Ana-White.com!!

1. Andres Hernandez on September 1, 2017 at 11:08 pm
  2. sellskd on August 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm

how wide is the base?

3. Kara Victoria Moss on March 25, 2017 at 10:08 am

What stain/finish did you use? Or did you say somewhere and I am just missing it?! I love the finish in the picture!

4. Kris on January 4, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Any chance you have ideas/pla https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/7b0d3259dd606b776cde565476f3c007c0a3431aa4a111ce11b6ff41f4822009.png ns for making this not as high backed (about half) and one cubbies longer? Also, would it look ok chalk painted or would that defeat the point of the special wood? And could we use regular wood for the back? Obviously newbie diy in the building from scratch area, but looking at buying one of these for over $425! (I sent you a pic from Facebook messenger.) Thank you so much for al your help!!!
    Kris
    P.S. I’ve Made 4 of your projects in the past 6 months and am obsessed! Thank you!!!!

5. Ben Grisinger on November 24, 2016 at 11:15 pm

I see this is an old thread though I just built this Hall Tree. Came out really pretty (not stained yet)

Overall a pretty simple build which can be done in just a few hours. This one ran me $137.00 (includes sand paper, glue, screws, stain, and poly). Adding hooks will take the cost to about $155

6. Melanie on August 19, 2016 at 5:56 pm

This post appears to be 4 yrs old. Where is the tutorial?

Hope you love it as much as we do! We are super excited to share the video tutorials with you soon!

7. JFranklin on December 21, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for the plans .

8. JFranklin on December 5, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I’m just about done. The only thing that isn’t complete are the wings on the side. I have a jigsaw (but I’ve never used it before). How do I stencil the side wings?

9. Jeremías Chajtur Jordan on August 5, 2015 at 8:05 am

Just discovered your site thru pinterest.
    I’m deffinetely gonna do some of your designs, starting from your kids bed, and finishing with this one. Some alterations are obviously considered but you’ve been a great isnpiration, thank you for that.

Cheers!

10. Trucker4life6688 on June 3, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Can you please email me the plans for this, I would love to build this as a gift for my ex and her new husbands house

11. Brian Anderson on January 8, 2015 at 11:51 am

I just finished building this for my wife and I must say for my first true woodworking project it turned out great. It was also my first time using the Kreg jig and I’m hooked for life! Thanks for providing such great plans for the community and keep it up!

12. disqus_IE2EwJBtWa on September 13, 2014 at 3:42 pm

where can you find the plans to build this??

13. Kellar Nelson on August 20, 2013 at 1:10 pm

My dad helped me make this as a suprise wedding gift for my fiance (we’re getting married August 31st!) I enjoyed the time I got to spend with my dad making it and LOVE how it turned out. It will look great in the entryway of our new house. I can’t wait to see my hubby’s face when he finally realizes what we’ve been up to! 🙂

14. nicole on April 20, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I don’t see a vifeo or a link then I am def interested to building this

15. Laura McDaniel on January 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I just finished my hall tree and I couldn’t be happier! Check it out on my blog:
    laurabethmcd.blogspot.com

16. Jennifer Pickering on December 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Is the video attached yet? I don’t see it on here. Getting ready to start this project and would love to see your captured process first.

17. DAN on October 24, 2012 at 10:35 am

You said you used PureBond Plywood …but for the trim and 1 bys did you use pure oak or the plywood? Also how did you connect the top part? With the kreg jig?

Thanks

• DAN on November 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Any help?

• Shanty2Chic on November 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

We actually used white wood and pine boards to save money. They stain similar and we like the rustic look it achieves. To connect the top part we used wood screws from the back and went into the base. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Shanty2Chic on November 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Hey Dan,
        Sorry for the delay. We used furring strips for the 1x’s to save money and we connected the top with gorilla glue wood glue and finishing nails. Hope this helps!

18. AmberMcGuire on October 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Did you ever post the video? I’m not seeing it.

19. SCollings on October 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

I am working on this now and I have the storage area built. I have a few questions. On the plans, they call for 3/4″ PHs and 1 1/4 PH screws. I understand the 1 1/4 screws, but what is the 3/4″ PHs they are talking about? Also, for the top frame, how are all of the pieces attached together? I just can’t figure it out. 🙂 I am soooo excited to have this in my home, it is beautiful! One more thing… The plan calls for 2 1X4s but you actually need 3 to get all of the cuts. Nothing another trip to Home Depot didn’t fix. 🙂

• mchipser on January 9, 2013 at 1:39 pm

PH = Pocket Holes

20. Amanda on October 12, 2012 at 12:49 am

Do you think metal roof shingles could go in the squares to make a magnetic back?

• Bobbi Derkson on November 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

I don’t know about roof shinlges, but I know that you can get magnetic paint that is an under coat and paint whatever colour you want on top it of including some of the ones that look like hammered metal. (My sister used the hammered copper look paint to do an ugly bulk head that ran through her kitchen and it turned out fantastic.)

21. Janet Ditello on September 22, 2012 at 9:35 pm

how wide and how tall is it?

22. Jennifer on September 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

thank you thank you thank you… ;o) I am WAY excited… I didn’t see the link!! :o)

23. Joni on September 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This is a really nice piece of furniture that looks antique! It is so neat to have something you’ve made on your own.

I would like to start making some of my own furniture. I need a hall tree, book shelves, shelves/table for guinea pig cages (3), armoire, etc. My husband says it will be more expensive to make the things we need because we would need to buy tools. What tools do you need? What tools did you use to make the hall tree?

God Bless!

24. Jennifer on September 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Love this…would you share where the plans are for this piece??? :o) WOW…y’all did an awesome job!!!

• Shanty2Chic on September 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Thank you Jennifer! There is a link in the post to the plans:)

25. Beverly Ledford on August 20, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Wow. Thats pretty nice and anything that is cutting the price in half is what I like. Im new to blogging please check out my blog at http://beverlyledford.blogspot.com/

26. Laura on August 16, 2012 at 8:09 am

you guys are so talented! I need to get my wood working skills up to par! But I LOVE that pillow! where is it from?!

27. comeca on August 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Perfection ladies!

28. Josey Lyne Payne on August 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hi there – did you get the hooks from Home Depot, too?

29. Lynn on August 14, 2012 at 11:36 pm

This is gorgeous! LOVE it!!

30. Jody on August 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Amazing! You guys have such talent and you use power tools too! ; )

31. vintagegypsy on August 14, 2012 at 10:08 am

REally sharp!!!!! Love youe designs and your style!! Keep up the great ideas…..

• Shanty2Chic on August 16, 2012 at 5:40 am

Thank you so much!! We are trying 😉

32. Laurie on August 14, 2012 at 8:27 am

Love this project! Thank you for sharing. My mind is reeling with ideas to do!

• Shanty2Chic on August 16, 2012 at 5:41 am

That’s awesome Laurie!! Thanks so much! 😉

33. debbie_mann on August 14, 2012 at 7:34 am

omg i love this,, i really really really want one. Cant wait to see the video.

• Shanty2Chic on August 16, 2012 at 5:41 am

Thank you Debbie!! We are excited to share it with you!!

34. Terri Dodd on August 14, 2012 at 7:01 am

Love it…I can’t wait to see the video! I am a visual learner and I think it will be very helpful! TFS!

• Shanty2Chic on August 16, 2012 at 5:42 am

Great Terri! I am the same way! We are hoping it will helps lots of you!! 🙂

35. GigglingGerty on August 14, 2012 at 2:03 am

Love, love, love this!!! I can’t wait for the video… i am still too “scared” to start anything that needs power tools 😉 & I’m still saving for my kreg, the shipping to oz is ridiculous, altho a seller on ebay did have it for $5, but obviously wised up on his typo and it is back to $55. & a change in stain colour…. i hope dark walnut is ok with that!! Anywho i luv it!!!!! Juanita.
    P.s. can anyone tell me what the equivalent to PureBond would be in Australia, or arecommend something to use for this type of project. Thank you!!!

• Shanty2Chic on August 16, 2012 at 5:39 am

Thanks so much Juanita!! I will check on the PureBond question for you!!

36. Judy@In His Grip Sturman on August 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

This is awesome. I just took everything out of my enter way for a redo. This would be a great start.

• Shanty2Chic on August 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Agreed Judy!! Good luck! Thanks so much! 😉

37. Perry on August 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Love the finish! I want to use this type of finish on a headboard. Can you tell us how you did it?

• Shanty2Chic on August 13, 2012 at 9:09 pm

We used Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Early American. You can find it at Lowe’s! Let me know if you have any other questions! 🙂

38. crystal woolever on August 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Love it!!

39. Traci on August 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm

What a beautiful piece! You guys did an amazing job! I have been wanting a hall tree for my entry way and this would be perfect! I was just wondering what color of stain you used?

• Shanty2Chic on August 13, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Thanks Traci!

We use Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Early American… I think it’s a new fav 😉 You can get it at Lowe’s!

40. Cheryl on August 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm