Shanty Hall Tree Bench

Happy Monday guys!!

We have such a fun plan to share with you guys today!

Last week Ashley and I teamed up to build this amazing hall tree!

How cute is that??

Ashley and I teamed up withPureBond Plywood to not only build this piece, but also video the entire process… From buying the wood to moving the finished piece into the house.  So fun!

We will be sharing those videos soon, and we hope they will inspire all of you to get your hands on some power tools and get to work!

We wanted to build a piece that would showcase the amazing PureBond Plywood, and I think we hit the nail on the head with this one ;-)!

The thought of building beautiful furniture with plywood may sound a bit strange.  It did to us as well!  That was until we learned about PureBond Plywood.

PureBond Plywood can be found at any Home Depot.

What sold us on PureBond

~ It uses Formaldehyde-free glue (scary to think we have been breathing in harmful chemicals until now)

~ It’s made in AMERICA… Whoop!!!

~ It’s made with wood from sustainable forests

~ It’s extremely easy to work with

~ Biggest selling point for us… It’s BEAUTIFUL!  You get the look of real hard wood for a fraction of the cost.  Home Depot stocks birch and oak.  You can also order hickory, maple, you name it and have it delivered to your store… Love that!

So after learning the benefits of PureBond Plywood, we will never go back.  It’s such an obvious choice and it fits quite nicely in our shanty budgets!

Let’s talk about the math on this one…

We found a similar hall tree online that sold for close to $1400.  Wowzers.  No thanks!  So… Of course we enlisted the help of our sweet friend Ana to make us some plans to create our own at a fraction of the cost.

Our total cost for this build… $120!  Yah.  I think that makes the hall tree even prettier 😉

Just a few quick tips…

~We chose to use PureBond Oak

~We chose to use 1×3 for the bottom trim, and we used 1×4 and 1×3 for the top trim.  We love the rustic look, and we love that it saved even more money.

Here are just a few more photos of this great hall tree!

Hope you love it as much as we do!  We are super excited to share the video tutorials with you soon!

Make sure to check out the full plans for this great hall tree over at Ana-White.com!!

1. Nichole on May 7, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Every time I click on the building plans it sends me to a Anti-Virus Company/Mackeeper. Am I missing something?

2. Larry on April 5, 2018 at 5:09 am

Did you replace all the wood with the purebond plywood??? If so what sizes did you get ? The same sizes as in the plans?

3. sellskd on August 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm

how wide is the base?

4. Kara Victoria Moss on March 25, 2017 at 10:08 am

What stain/finish did you use? Or did you say somewhere and I am just missing it?! I love the finish in the picture!

5. Melanie on August 19, 2016 at 5:56 pm

This post appears to be 4 yrs old. Where is the tutorial?

Hope you love it as much as we do! We are super excited to share the video tutorials with you soon!

6. JFranklin on December 21, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for the plans .

7. JFranklin on December 5, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I’m just about done. The only thing that isn’t complete are the wings on the side. I have a jigsaw (but I’ve never used it before). How do I stencil the side wings?

8. Jeremías Chajtur Jordan on August 5, 2015 at 8:05 am

Just discovered your site thru pinterest.
    I’m deffinetely gonna do some of your designs, starting from your kids bed, and finishing with this one. Some alterations are obviously considered but you’ve been a great isnpiration, thank you for that.

Cheers!

9. Trucker4life6688 on June 3, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Can you please email me the plans for this, I would love to build this as a gift for my ex and her new husbands house

10. Brian Anderson on January 8, 2015 at 11:51 am

I just finished building this for my wife and I must say for my first true woodworking project it turned out great. It was also my first time using the Kreg jig and I’m hooked for life! Thanks for providing such great plans for the community and keep it up!

11. Kellar Nelson on August 20, 2013 at 1:10 pm

My dad helped me make this as a suprise wedding gift for my fiance (we’re getting married August 31st!) I enjoyed the time I got to spend with my dad making it and LOVE how it turned out. It will look great in the entryway of our new house. I can’t wait to see my hubby’s face when he finally realizes what we’ve been up to! 🙂

12. nicole on April 20, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I don’t see a vifeo or a link then I am def interested to building this

13. Laura McDaniel on January 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I just finished my hall tree and I couldn’t be happier! Check it out on my blog:
    laurabethmcd.blogspot.com

14. Jennifer Pickering on December 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Is the video attached yet? I don’t see it on here. Getting ready to start this project and would love to see your captured process first.

15. DAN on October 24, 2012 at 10:35 am

You said you used PureBond Plywood …but for the trim and 1 bys did you use pure oak or the plywood? Also how did you connect the top part? With the kreg jig?

Thanks

• DAN on November 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Any help?

• Shanty2Chic on November 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

We actually used white wood and pine boards to save money. They stain similar and we like the rustic look it achieves. To connect the top part we used wood screws from the back and went into the base. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Shanty2Chic on November 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Hey Dan,
        Sorry for the delay. We used furring strips for the 1x’s to save money and we connected the top with gorilla glue wood glue and finishing nails. Hope this helps!

16. AmberMcGuire on October 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Did you ever post the video? I’m not seeing it.

17. SCollings on October 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

I am working on this now and I have the storage area built. I have a few questions. On the plans, they call for 3/4″ PHs and 1 1/4 PH screws. I understand the 1 1/4 screws, but what is the 3/4″ PHs they are talking about? Also, for the top frame, how are all of the pieces attached together? I just can’t figure it out. 🙂 I am soooo excited to have this in my home, it is beautiful! One more thing… The plan calls for 2 1X4s but you actually need 3 to get all of the cuts. Nothing another trip to Home Depot didn’t fix. 🙂

• mchipser on January 9, 2013 at 1:39 pm

PH = Pocket Holes

18. Amanda on October 12, 2012 at 12:49 am

Do you think metal roof shingles could go in the squares to make a magnetic back?

• Bobbi Derkson on November 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

I don’t know about roof shinlges, but I know that you can get magnetic paint that is an under coat and paint whatever colour you want on top it of including some of the ones that look like hammered metal. (My sister used the hammered copper look paint to do an ugly bulk head that ran through her kitchen and it turned out fantastic.)