DIY Bench – Farmhouse Style

Happy Monday!!

I am so excited to finally be sharing these benches with you guys today!

Ana and I worked together on my Fancy X Farmhouse Table a few months back and it has been a hit!  It’s such a great table for the money, and is so versatile too.  I made mine for my back patio, but it would also make an amazing indoor dining table.

Since then the temperatures have been well over 10o, and I have had no desire to sit outside!  When I heard the weatherman say they were dropping, I immediately told Ana I was ready!  Now the perfect table has some perfect matching benches!

I will share a few tips from my build here, and you can see the full set of plans for this great bench on Ana White’s site!

These are really easy instructions!  Basically… You build three ‘X’ bases for each bench, and then you attach them.  The base construction is very simple.  All cuts are straight or 45 degrees.

I used Gorilla Wood Glue and finish nails for all of my joints on the bases!

Once you have done those, you attach them with your 1×3’s.  I opted to go a bit smaller and have mine push fully under the table.  I will be adding metal chairs to the ends of the table, and I wanted to leave lots of room on each end.  If you want your benches longer or shorter, you would modify the length of these pieces.  I attached mine with my Kreg Jig®.  I made sure to keep all of my pocket holes on one side of the bench.  That will be the side of the bench that faces the table, so I didn’t have to worry about filling my pocket holes.

Now for the top planks!

Again… If you want the bench a different size, you would modify the length of these as well!  I decided that I wanted to attach these with my Kreg Jig® as well.  Once I constructed each ‘X’ base, I put 3 pocket holes on the top end of one side of each base like this.

That is a picture of the bases connected to the seat planks using Kreg Jig® using pocket hole screws.  If you don’t own a Kreg Jig® (you should;-)), you can countersink wood screws from the top of the bench into the base, and fill with wood putty before finishing.

One more detail shot..

My final step before staining was adding the small support pieces on the bottom.  I used wood screws on this part.

That’s it!  For my stain, I used the same stain I used on the table.  It is an outdoor semi-transparent stain that is tinted to espresso.  I found it at Lowe’s.  You just paint the stuff on, and you are done!

Now the math!  Total cost for lumber on each bench… Under $35 a bench!  Woohooooo!  That makes the cost for the table and both benches under $140 all together.  Now that fits my shanty budget quite well!

How great would this bench be in an entry way or dining room?  LOVE.

Hope you love it as much as I do!!  There will be LOTS of dinners and fun at these benches.  Thanks so much Ana White for working with me on these!  Can you tell I am pleased??

Remember to check out the full set of plans for these easy DIY benches over at Ana-White.com!

You can also check out my Fancy X Farmhouse Table right HERE!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Final Note…

Thank you, thank you to all of our sweet readers who continue to vote Shanty2Chic as best Craft Blog over at Country Living Magazine!! You can continue voting each day through the 17th, and we would so appreciate you voting and sharing with your friends!  It has been such an honor to be nominated, and we thank you guys SO much!  You can vote by clicking the button below! Thanks again!!!

1. Andy Murphy on September 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Looks great! Great directions!

2. Julie on June 27, 2013 at 8:34 am

I couldn’t find the plans for the bench on Anna’s site, only the table. My husband and I want to make these this weekend. Could you email me the bench plans?

3. Meredith Owens on May 16, 2013 at 11:51 am

Having my husband start making the farmhouse table and bench tomorrow! Love the stain you used…. what was it? I need the exact one!

4. aleshia on March 8, 2013 at 1:54 am

Hello, I was wondering where I could find the plans for the bench? because I am not able to find them.

5. Jessica on November 14, 2012 at 7:00 am

Hi, we made the table already and its so awesome! I would love to make the benches, but i dont know the supply list and the cut list like what you had for the table, can you help? Thanks!

6. Luella Alcorn on October 17, 2012 at 8:40 am

The link for the bench goes to a desk…is there another link?

7. Bstory on October 13, 2012 at 1:52 pm

What stain is used? I love the color

8. Kent on October 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Did you pre stain any of the piece since some of the spots are tight ?

• Shanty2Chic on October 1, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I didn’t… It was a bit tight on some spots, but it all worked. Hope this helps!

9. Melissa on September 13, 2012 at 1:04 am

I love this bench and really want to make one for my porch. I have a super novice question…What is the best way to make the 45 degree cuts without any large power tools…can it be done? Thanks!

10. Ira Morse on September 11, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I totally agree with you shanty and with this bench
    of yours, lovers surely love to stay on this bench and make lots of memory…

11. Robin Gorton on September 11, 2012 at 5:06 am

Just have to tell you sweet ladies that as I have been following your blog, I have become truly inspired. I’ve always dreamed of making my own furniture but was paralyzed by my fear of tools/lack of know how. WELL, I have just enrolled in a woodworking class at our local adult. cont. ed. and the first 4 classes are all about tools, use, and safety. I am so looking forward to the project I will be making (when I choose it). Thank you both for sharing talent and ideas which have given me that push to go for it!

• Shanty2Chic on September 11, 2012 at 5:08 am

Robin… This is so great! Totally made my day! I think you will be surprised at how ‘not scary’ it all is! Can’t wait to see your first project, and thank you so much for your sweet message!

12. DeDe@DesignedDecor on September 11, 2012 at 4:53 am

This is a beautiful table, almost to pretty to be outside! Great job!

13. Holly May Bruce on September 11, 2012 at 12:44 am

Wow! It looks SO much simpler when broken down into step by step images. Thank you for your inspiringness!!

• Shanty2Chic on September 11, 2012 at 5:09 am

Good Holly! It really is easier than assembling box furniture from a store in my opinion! Thanks for your message! 😉

14. Aya on September 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm

So beautiful!!

15. Loubna on September 10, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I LOVE this! I am trying to have my husband make the table for inside our home. What would you suggest for indoor chairs. I love your aesthetic and my husband won’t start this project until I find six chairs that compliment the table. TIA!

16. Laura C on September 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Amazing! I’m going to have to do this

• Shanty2Chic on September 11, 2012 at 5:12 am

Good Laura!! Good luck and thanks! 😉

17. Tristan Lawler on September 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Looks amazing!

18. Michelle on September 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Beautiful!!! Did you put any kind of protective clear coat on the table or benches? I really need to make this picnic set!!!

• Shanty2Chic on September 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Michelle! I didn’t…. The stain said stain and finish all in one, so I took it at its word ;-)) Good luck making yours!

19. Heather on September 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I’m getting married Oct 27th and we desperately need a table. This is perfect because we will be moving to his father’s ranch to manage the farming of avocados and this table is exactly the style I was looking for. This will be our first project 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on September 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Woohoo!! Congrats on getting married and the fun move! Good luck on the table!! 😉

20. Mindi Carwin on September 10, 2012 at 11:58 am

You are my Hero! They look so good with the table! Amazing as usual!

• Shanty2Chic on September 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Hahaha! Thanks Mindi!! 😉

• Iuliana Blakely on September 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Really, she talks about you ALL the time and builds stuff just like you. Every time I go to her house, she has something new to show me that she built or refinished.

• Shanty2Chic on September 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Oh wow…. That makes my day! You girls are sweet!!! 😉

• Teresa on February 19, 2015 at 3:59 pm

I love this look! Amazing job! Will you please email me the plans/ dimensions to the table and bench since Ana White’s site is unavailable? Thank you!