Choosing my battles… And a paint color

Good morning guys!

I’m so excited to share my kitchen makeover with you today!  The kitchen cabinets are painted gray, and I could not be more happy!

Here are a few shots of how things are looking now…

Now for the confession…

Before sharing this, did I mention that I have 5 kids under the age of 9?  Just making sure ;-)…

So… I pride myself in being a DIY girl.  I think many of you know that about me.  I love doing things by myself.  I find it rewarding and exciting… And cheap!  I have been mulling over the idea of painting my cabinets for sometime.  When we built the house 3 years ago, I had every cabinet in the house painted an off-white color and glazed.  After 3 years the glaze started looking more like dirt to me.  I would wipe the cabinets down, and still feel like they were dirty when I was all done.  Here is a very small shot of what it looked like…

It was time for a change!  I knew I could paint cabinets.  I painted my laundry room cabinets with great success.  They have stood the test of time.  But…. The kitchen is a different story.  I thought I might have a week or so over the Summer without the kids home when I could knock them out.  Summer came and went, and that never happened.  I knew I couldn’t tackle these during nap time and bedtime like I do everything else.  If you knew my 2 year old, you would totally understand ;-).  The thought of trying to keep her out of the kitchen for a week was enough to keep me from getting started every time.

Then, a sweet friend of mine said the magic words… ‘I know a great painter.’

That was all it took.

I decided to have Lalo the painter come give me a bid.  I was SHOCKED.  He gave me his quote, and I immediately scheduled a start date with him.  I couldn’t believe how low his price was.

For you local Dallas/Ft. Worth people…

His company’s name is Lalo’s Painting.  They did BEYOND an amazing job.  You all know I am cheap, and his price fit my budget perfectly!  I asked him if I could share his phone number,  and he said yes (although I did get a blank stare when I tried to tell him I had a blog ;-))…

817-405-8491

I knew I had made the right decision very early on.  I left when they arrived to buy one more bucket of paint.  I came back about 45 minutes later, and they had already rolled the ceiling and the walls!  SOLD!

I do consider this a DIY job.  What exactly did I do myself???

~ I knew when to call in the big dogs for some help!  This came in the form of 2 very nice men who had the job done perfectly in less than 48 hours!

~ I picked a paint color!

I originally planned on using Valspar for my paint.  I picked a beautiful color that I LOVE.  It was called Coastal Villa.  For me it was the perfect ‘greige’!  I have a creamy white as my trim color and Santa Cecilia granite.  I had to find a color that pulled everything together.  This one did the trick!

I knew I wanted to do an oil-base satin on the kitchen cabinets. It wears super well and chips the very least.  I went to buy it at Lowe’s, and Valspar only carried it in semi-gloss and gloss.  So, I took my paint chip over to my local Sherwin-Williams store and had them match it.  This is my first time buying from Sherwin-Williams.  My favorite part was their receipts.  They actually have all your paint codes printed on the receipt.  You can also call the store and order more off of your receipt.  This keeps you from waiting in line  at the hardware store to have a mixed… Definitely a plus with 5 kiddos!

So… Here is a picture of the code for my cabinet color…

And here is a picture of the code for my walls and ceiling…

And a few more pics of my new kitchen…

Hope you love it as much as I do!

I feel like I have a brand new kitchen.  A little paint goes a LONG way!

Let me know if you have any questions at all!  And of course… I would love some pins and shares below!  Have a great Wednesday!

P.S.  My floors are stained concrete.  😉

1. kate on July 31, 2019 at 8:29 pm

Do you have the name of the stain and the name of the stain color for the floor? Everything looks great!

2. Heather on February 17, 2019 at 3:57 pm

It’s been years since you had them painted. Have they held up? Do you still recommend an oil-based paint for cabinets AND my biggest question… Did your painters remove all the cabinet doors?! That’s the part I dread most!!

3. Julie on October 16, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Hi. I know this is a very old post so I hope you read these. What is the name of the lighter cabinets throughout the kitchen? It’s just the cabinet around the oven that is Coastal Villa, right?

4. Leslie on September 10, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Hey there!

I am looking to rip out the carpet in our living room. It is the only room on a slab. Every other room is hardwood on a raised foundation. Did you polish the concrete yourself? I am thinking that is a big job and probably better to have a pro do it?

5. amanda on August 20, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Did you stain the floors yourself!? we are building now and my kitchen looks very similar to your colors! we are also staining the floors and i cant find many reviews for what the best brand is, can you share what brand you used!?
    color too if u know
    thanks!

6. Jill Rosenberg on July 6, 2017 at 8:17 am

I’m having st ceclila granite installed and have been imagining my kitch until I saw it IN YOUR BLOG! My dream on fleekkk! Just love. To clarify, the two colors of paint fr Sherwin Williams are what you used for 1) cabinet 2) walls, ceiling and trim. Is that correct? Thanks and hope you’re still loving it…Jill

7. Justme on April 3, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Love the Santa Cecelia granite. Who did your countertop? I’m in Fort Worth – my cabinets are almost completed and this pattern has a real wow factor….

8. Shelly Bartell Sade on July 11, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I see cement floors. I am thinking about cement floors in our basement. I am concerned that it will look and feel to cold and unfinished. Our house has allot of trim and wainscoting like yours. We plan on having a large area rug to help. How do you like your floor? Do you have any prose and cons to help with the decision? Thanks

9. Yvonne lacasse on October 6, 2015 at 7:49 am

i have chosen the color moody grey for my cabinets what color would be best on the walls and counter top

• Yvonne lacasse on October 6, 2015 at 7:50 am

it is from behr paints

10. Krystal Lynne Chism on July 14, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Are the cabinets over you stove top and the cabinets over your fridge the same color? They look different from the different angles.

• Shanty2Chic on July 14, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Same color… It’s the lighting 🙂

11. Timi Roper on April 14, 2015 at 6:06 pm

What color stain did you use on the concrete floors?

12. Emily on December 3, 2014 at 10:01 pm

What type/color of sink do you have? We are looking at painting our cabinets this color and want to upgrade our sink as well but I’m not sure what color/material to use.

13. Cherri on October 30, 2014 at 8:15 am

Could you share the name of the wall/ceiling color? Having trouble getting Home Depot to match it via the code . . . they want a name to look up in the computer!

14. Lori on August 12, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Whitney, you have my exact taste!! i am wrestling with a few ideas for cabinet colors and thought it would be hard with my St. Cecelia granite. i love the colors you have chosen. is your hood a different color than the cabinet color or is it just the lighting?

15. Laura Ferentz-Hile on June 27, 2014 at 4:53 am

I adore your kitchen! Is the same color on all your cabinets? It looks lighter on the wall ones. I wasn’t sure if it was just the lighting or a dfferemt color. If it is different could you share the name? Thanks so much! Awesome job!!!

16. Sherilan Young on December 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Hi, this may post 2 times,if so sorry. I found your cabinets while I was searching Pinterest. Love them. How has the paint held up since it has been over a year? Thanks

17. Mallorie on December 9, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I have a question…what color is on the bar height wall in between the taller barstools and the sink? Thanks!!

18. Elisha Overby Finnegan on November 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Was the kitchen wall color also a vaslpar paint? I really want to paint my cabinets gray but I don’t want the room to look dark. I think your creamy off white looks great! Thanks for sharing!

• Sandra Cummins on May 4, 2017 at 9:03 am

Love the colors. If you were to buy the wall and trim paint from Valspar, what is the color’s name?

19. Grit + Gold on September 13, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Is Lalo still around? I tried googling him and find nothing and I tried the number you listed and no return call. ??

20. postsfromkaty on August 9, 2013 at 8:04 am