Restoration Hardware Inspired Sideboard

Hey hey!!

To say that I am excited to share this next project would be a huge understatement… Almost as huge as the piece itself!  I have been drooling over Restoration Hardware’s sideboards for years.  I love everything about them… Minus that $3-4,000 price tag.  Ouch.

I knew this would be the perfect piece of furniture to team up with Ana White to build, and that’s just what we did!  Today I will be sharing the sideboard plans, and the hutch plans will follow soon!

So… Here is how it turned out!

Awwww… LOVE it.  This is my biggest and most favorite piece of furniture I have built so far.  Don’t be intimidated by her size though!  It was a basic build with no funny angles.  I finished the whole thing in a weekend.  I will share a few tips with you here, and you can get the full set of plans over at Ana-White.com.

I knew I wanted to stain this piece, so I immediately chose to use PureBond plywood.  I LOVE this stuff.  Basically… You get the look of real hard wood at a fraction of the cost!

You can buy it in 4×8′ sheets at Home Depot and have it ripped down for free!  Here are the nice guys at Home Depot ripping mine down for me…

PureBond is formaldehyde-free and made in the USA which makes it an obvious choice when using hardwood plywood!

PureBond is actually compensating bloggers for using their plywood!  You can get your hands on this great product for FREE!  To get more info just click the button below!

I was lucky enough to have my hubby to load mine for me… This is what we did on our quick ‘date night’… Quite romantic, I know!

I wouldn’t even consider making this without using a Kreg Jig®.  It made the build so much easier and sturdier!  Ash and I use the K4 model.

I used 3/4″ pocket holes and 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws for the whole build.

Here are a few progress shots, and you can see where I chose to put my pocket holes.

This was also my first build using my new Ryobi 18-Volt Lithium Drill.

Holy shmoly.  This was such a great change from my usual.  I have been using an electric drill up until this point.  I love everything about this drill.  Ladies… This would be a great tool to ask Santa for this year! 😉

A few more pocket holes…

I also opted to add a few 2×6 scraps as braces on the base in the center.  I plan on filling this baby up, and I wanted to make sure that it was sturdy enough.

Here are a few shots of my trim work.  I chose to go with a really cheap casing rather than base moulding.  I had a hard time finding the right sizes, and I loved the way this looked just as much!  Plus, it was cheap! Win win.

My final step was finishing it!  These are the products I used to finish mine…

I also used a 4″ foam roller.  I like to roll on as much as I can, and then cut in the corners and places I missed with a chip brush like the one above.

Just work in small sections at a time, and wipe off a few minutes after applying the stain to get an even finish.

For my hardware I chose to use cheap metal hinges from Lowe’s, and I spray painted them to match my pulls.

I LOVE my pulls I used on the sideboard.  I recently found them when searching for new knobs and pulls for a project I will be sharing really soon.  They are 5″ pulls called Savoy I found at a GREAT price.  I think they are a perfect blend of modern and traditional!

I bought mine off of a site called designerknobsandpulls.com.

I ordered them and received them in just a couple days… Can’t beat that!!

Whew… That was a lot of info!

Want to see a few more pics??

The cost of the sideboard was around $250.  I love putting that number right next to the $3,000 that RH is asking for their’s!  Makes the DIY version even prettier in my opinion!

I love this piece.  I hope to pass it down to one of my kiddos one day.  And if they are anything like their mother they will probably spray paint it or distress it with Vaseline… Who knows? 😉

I hope you love it too!  I would love for you to share it and pin it below!  Remember you can get the full set of plans over at Ana-White.com!

1. Amanda on October 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I’m looking all over for the hutch building plans without any luck. Are they hidden somewhere on your site or Ana White’s site? Thanks!

2. Korrie@RedHenHome on October 2, 2013 at 6:47 am

VERY pretty! It sets of your white dishes beautifully.

3. christina watkins on April 2, 2013 at 9:29 am

Wow! Thank You for sharing the info! This looks amazing and even better that you can say you made it! I can’t wait to build one!!!!

4. Rhonda Unruh on October 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

This is amazing, as are you! I can’t believe I haven’t been following you and now that I am, I can’t stop reading! Fabulous…

Where did you get all of those fantastic white dishes? *swoon*

5. Lynn on September 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Wow! What a project! It is beautiful! By the way, ther is a Macy’s banner ad that is blocking the body of the post while I am scrolling through. I tried to open and then close it, but it just popped back up. Is it supposed to do that??

6. Mindi Carwin on September 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

So Beautiful Whitney! I wish I had space for something like this. You should feel very proud!

7. Amy on September 21, 2012 at 7:48 am

STUNNING! I clicked on the purebond logo and couldn’t find anything on how to try for free? Can you please fill me in on what I must be doing wrong?…lol ..THXS!

8. Angie Overton on September 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm

That is simply amazing. You did that in a weekend? I love it. It is gorgeous. I would love to take over the garage one weekend and make something like this. My husband would then be completely amazed and would definitly be more supportive of my woodworking. Thanks for sharing.

9. Estelle on September 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

We do the same thing on our “date nights” but my husband loves going to home depot so it works 🙂

10. I Play Outside The Box on September 20, 2012 at 9:01 am

Beautiful!!!

11. Jennifer Kirk on September 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

This is AWESOME, Whitney!!!

12. Debbie on September 20, 2012 at 7:17 am

WOW!! That is pretty awesome!! I am so blown away that you can make all of this amazing furniture!!! Would love to see a video of you in action!!

13. TRINITY BAINS on September 20, 2012 at 6:29 am

You are some kind of talented! I love reading all about your fabulous projects and am living the DIY crafty life vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing-love love love this!

14. Casssiandra on September 20, 2012 at 6:08 am

So how much did all the materials cost (approximately)??

15. Julie on September 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

you are simply amazing!! Can you share a link to the RH sideboard??

16. nicole on September 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm

are you freaking kidding!!!! you made that.

i need tools. and help!!!!

17. Brook on September 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Amazing!!! You did a beautiful job and it looks fabulous!

18. brittany on September 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

what a beautiful piece of furniture! Great job! I love that you bought cheap pulls and spray painted them too!

• Shanty2Chic on September 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Thanks so much Brittany!! I appreciate it!

19. Ana White on September 19, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Oh my word girl!!! You are just to amazing for words! Thanks for working with me on this project – especially love how the rustic wood stain you choose compliments your white dining set!

• Shanty2Chic on September 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thank you ma’am! I think that is my favorite part too! I love the combo… Thanks for the perfect plans! 😉

20. Aisha on September 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Beautiful as usual! You truly are an inspiration, I just wish I had a spot in my house for something like this!