DIY Dining Table ~ Triple Pedestal Farmhouse

***I have completed the matching benches to this table and you can get the plans for the benches HERE!***

Happy Friday!  Holy moly, I am so excited to share my latest build with you!  I had to take a break from all the Christmas posts to share my new farmhouse table because I just couldn’t wait!

I got the inspiration from a beautiful table that I saw while I was out shopping.  There is no way I could have a $1,000 (plus shipping and tax) dining table in our home with 2 boys and a toddlerWinking smile  So, as always, I enlisted the help of our very sweet and talented friend, Ana White!  She nailed it and after her awesome plans and my elbow grease, I now have a ridiculously gorgeous, expensive-looking, grand dining table and it only cost me $125!  I know, insane!

I have shared the steps I took and the tips I learned as I went.  This was not challenging at all and it took me about 10 hours of work from cutting the wood to applying the finish!

Find Ana’s plans HERE!

Let’s start with the legs:

assembling legsgorilla glue wood glue

A little Gorilla Glue Wood Glue goes a long way!

Easy enoughWinking smile  Now let’s build the bases:

I used my Kobalt sliding compound miter to make the mitered cuts.

compound miterhow to miter cut

Time to put these babies together!

attaching the legsmeasuring

how to make a tableassembling table legs

how to build a table

Adding the decorative arcs:

how to cut with a jig sawsanding arcsattaching arcs

I love my cordless 18-volt Ryobi jig saw.  This step may seem intimidating but it is very simple!  Just draw an arc on each piece and follow with the jig saw.  I use my Ryobi cordless sander to sand away any jagged cuts.

Now for the table top:

building table topcontructing table top

table top frametable top

table top finished

I constructed the entire table top with my Kreg Jig®, Gorilla Glue and my cordless Ryobi brad nailer.

On to the finish:

Rust-Oleum Early American

I picked my favorite, Rust-Oleum Early American stain, to stain this table.  I applied one-coat with a bristle brush and wiped away after 5 minutes.  Tip: because this table is so big, I worked small areas at a time…i.e. legs first, one side of table top, etc.  I also stained the legs, runner and table top separately before attaching.

ROWC_Int_UltimatePoly_Gal_Gloss_L

I applied one-coat of Rust-oleum Ultimate Polyurethane (in Satin), with a bristle brush, to protect the finish.

***This table is 9 ft. and heavy (not a bad thingWinking smile)!  After the stain was dry, I brought the pieces in the house to assemble the table.  I chose to attach the table top to the legs before pushing the runner through and this worked great for us.  I also did not use wood glue to attach the table top to the legs (just wood screws) so that it can be disassembled and moved easily.***

That’s it!

DIY Farmhouse Table

dining table diy

build a dining table

dining table how to

how to make a table

DIY wood table

diy wooden dining table

DIY wooden table

pedestal style farmhouse table

diy farmhouse style table

diy farm table

long pinterest

Who would have thought 2×4’s and pine boards could be so fancyWinking smile

Click HERE for the matching Bench Plans!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

I have added links to purchase items/tools I used in this post for your convenience!

Kreg Pocket Hole System

Ryobi Cordless Jig Saw

Ryobi Jig Saw

Kobalt Compound Sliding Miter Saw

Kobalt Sliding Miter

Gorilla Glue Wood Glue

Ryobi 18-Volt Drill

Ryobi Brad Nailer

1. Kelli Burns on November 11, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’m a beginner & a couple of questions – When attaching the tabletop to the legs, do you screw from the top or underside, and should the kreg jig be used as well? We just bought our wood and Kreg jig today…so excited for this project!

2. PLONG on November 2, 2013 at 3:12 pm

How many people does this table seat?

• Shanty2Chic on November 4, 2013 at 7:28 am

I’d say 8 average adult very comfortably. You could add chairs at each end as well

3. darrenmotto on October 15, 2013 at 5:53 am

There are so many different materials dining tables in the market and you can see different pictures on web. Every day you can watch different pictures and get best ideas.

4. Danny Beilfuss on August 22, 2013 at 10:15 am

Where can I get the blue prints for this table and bench?

5. Sarah Krouse on July 11, 2013 at 5:00 pm

ashley, i found your blog through a link sent me from alexandra at hometalk. i was so excited to see this! i’ve been looking for this exact farm table for over a year now; but the antiques weren’t large enough + the new tables were outrageously expensive. so perfect! yours turned out beautifully. let’s hope mine looks as good 😉

6. Linda Crandall on July 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I made this table a couple week ends ago. We love it. We did it in 90″ instead of 106″ due to size of our room. I have handed out the plans like crazy! Thank you and Ana for sharing.

• me21900 on July 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I am thinking of making mine 96″ but debating if I should use three pedestals or two. What did you use?

• Linda Crandall on July 12, 2013 at 11:32 am

I used three and it worked out wonderful on 90″ – I tried two, but it just felt like something was missing.

7. Brooke on July 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

I love this table and plan on having my hubby build me one. We had a friend build a farmhouse table though and after a few months their planks shrank from drying out the rest of the way and it caused gaps in the table that food can fall into and get stuck. I really don’t want this to happen with my table. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

• Shanty2Chic on July 1, 2013 at 11:24 am

Brooke, you should not have that problem if he uses the Kreg Jig! I actually have built several table tops and I haven’t had that problem yet! Hope this helps:)

• Brooke on July 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

Ok awesome! Thank you so much!

8. Table Pads on June 4, 2013 at 6:50 am

Stunning Triple Pedestal Table. I really like it. I suggest you to please use table pad that give extra care of your table and protect from scratch and dirty stuffs.

9. Nicky on April 2, 2013 at 11:33 am

kj

10. Maria Suarez on March 14, 2013 at 7:23 pm

How many people does this table seat? I like the idea of having a bench on one side, and then chairs on the other. Would you recommend a chair design that goes well with this table please.

11. Debi W on February 8, 2013 at 9:55 am

I’m so excited to make this table. All I need to get is the brad nailer.. but we have to wait until we move so I can make it to fit our dining room.. I’m *im*patiently waiting for that day.. 🙂

• Debi W on February 8, 2013 at 9:56 am

I also love that you give detailed images of the processes you use! makes it so much easier to visualize the building process..

12. Michelle on January 27, 2013 at 3:07 am

I think the best way to keep food and liquid spills out of the cracks of this table is to put a piece of plexi-glass or glass. You can measure the table and go to a place that cuts these products to size. I love this table! =)

13. Lisa N Joel Phair on January 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Did you (or any other reader who has built this awesome table) rip down the sides of the boards to get flush edges? Just an idea I’m toying with but haven’t decided if it’s truly a “good” idea!

• Shanty2Chic on January 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Hi Lisa,
      I didn’t alter boards at all. I like the look as-is but I think it’s a matter of preference. The top is 1x’s so they are not rounded on the edges. Hope this helps!

14. maryannbaro on January 12, 2013 at 9:55 am

This is flippin’ amazing! A girl after my own heart with the power tools. I love my tools. I wish I didn’t have a table just so I could make this!!!! Super AWESOME!

15. Rustic Ruffles on January 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I love this table! I’m starting construction next week on one of my very own. I can’t wait to see the bench you create to compliment this table. Are you still planning to post one soon?

• Shanty2Chic on January 9, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Awesome:)). Yes, planned for next week!

16. sara on January 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Thank you so much for the plans! My husband is finishing up this table right now! Looks fantastic! Plans for a bench real soon?

• Shanty2Chic on January 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Awesome Sara! Please send us pics:). I am about to finish up the benches so expect plans within a week or two!

17. Dave Wilhoit on December 29, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Hello, I was wondering if you think that these plans would be modifiable for a smaller dining area?

18. Traci on December 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

Love all your projects! What kind of chairs will you use? or bench seats?

19. Jen Mefford on December 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I like yours better than the one you linked to from World Market 🙂

20. Jennie Staton on December 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Gorgeous table. We’re making the other farmhouse table this week. We’ll let ya know how it turns out and post pictures. Question though….what color of stain did you use on this table? I love it and would like to use the same.

• Shanty2Chic on December 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thank you! Rust-oleum Early American:)

Sent from my iPad