DIY Dining Table ~ Triple Pedestal Farmhouse

***I have completed the matching benches to this table and you can get the plans for the benches HERE!***

Happy Friday!  Holy moly, I am so excited to share my latest build with you!  I had to take a break from all the Christmas posts to share my new farmhouse table because I just couldn’t wait!

I got the inspiration from a beautiful table that I saw while I was out shopping.  There is no way I could have a $1,000 (plus shipping and tax) dining table in our home with 2 boys and a toddlerWinking smile  So, as always, I enlisted the help of our very sweet and talented friend, Ana White!  She nailed it and after her awesome plans and my elbow grease, I now have a ridiculously gorgeous, expensive-looking, grand dining table and it only cost me $125!  I know, insane!

I have shared the steps I took and the tips I learned as I went.  This was not challenging at all and it took me about 10 hours of work from cutting the wood to applying the finish!

Find Ana’s plans HERE!

Let’s start with the legs:

assembling legsgorilla glue wood glue

A little Gorilla Glue Wood Glue goes a long way!

Easy enoughWinking smile  Now let’s build the bases:

I used my Kobalt sliding compound miter to make the mitered cuts.

compound miterhow to miter cut

Time to put these babies together!

attaching the legsmeasuring

how to make a tableassembling table legs

how to build a table

Adding the decorative arcs:

how to cut with a jig sawsanding arcsattaching arcs

I love my cordless 18-volt Ryobi jig saw.  This step may seem intimidating but it is very simple!  Just draw an arc on each piece and follow with the jig saw.  I use my Ryobi cordless sander to sand away any jagged cuts.

Now for the table top:

building table topcontructing table top

table top frametable top

table top finished

I constructed the entire table top with my Kreg Jig®, Gorilla Glue and my cordless Ryobi brad nailer.

On to the finish:

Rust-Oleum Early American

I picked my favorite, Rust-Oleum Early American stain, to stain this table.  I applied one-coat with a bristle brush and wiped away after 5 minutes.  Tip: because this table is so big, I worked small areas at a time…i.e. legs first, one side of table top, etc.  I also stained the legs, runner and table top separately before attaching.

ROWC_Int_UltimatePoly_Gal_Gloss_L

I applied one-coat of Rust-oleum Ultimate Polyurethane (in Satin), with a bristle brush, to protect the finish.

***This table is 9 ft. and heavy (not a bad thingWinking smile)!  After the stain was dry, I brought the pieces in the house to assemble the table.  I chose to attach the table top to the legs before pushing the runner through and this worked great for us.  I also did not use wood glue to attach the table top to the legs (just wood screws) so that it can be disassembled and moved easily.***

That’s it!

DIY Farmhouse Table

dining table diy

build a dining table

dining table how to

how to make a table

DIY wood table

diy wooden dining table

DIY wooden table

pedestal style farmhouse table

diy farmhouse style table

diy farm table

long pinterest

Who would have thought 2×4’s and pine boards could be so fancyWinking smile

Click HERE for the matching Bench Plans!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

I have added links to purchase items/tools I used in this post for your convenience!

Kreg Pocket Hole System

Ryobi Cordless Jig Saw

Ryobi Jig Saw

Kobalt Compound Sliding Miter Saw

Kobalt Sliding Miter

Gorilla Glue Wood Glue

Ryobi 18-Volt Drill

Ryobi Brad Nailer

1. Skape on July 3, 2017 at 6:04 am

Started buying materials this weekend to do this. Hit up Lowes and Home Depot, had an awful time finding any good lumber at either. HD’s was moldy and full of bugs, Lowes had a bunch but it looked like they had dropped it off the truck a few miles away and drug it to the store. I spent almost 2 hours at lowes picking through lumber and have about half of what I need.

2. Peter Sailhamer on March 11, 2017 at 4:58 pm

What do you think one of these would sell for?

3. Derick Passmore on June 27, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Build this great table for my wife for mothers Day. It turned out pretty nice. The plans were not correct however in the lumber count. Grab a couple extra 10′ 2×6’s.

4. Danno_the-Manno on April 18, 2016 at 9:30 am

This table design was the spring-board for the one I just built. Mine is 64″x40″ to fit our dining room nook perfectly. The 1-13/16″ thk Red Oak was from a local Michigan sawmill (~$350) including planing & truing 1-side, the top is an off-the-shelf 1-3/4″ thk Baltic Birch butcher block island top from Lowe’s (~$250), and chairs are from the “At Home” store ($89ea). Required a joiner, planar, 3HP table saw, clamps, and a drill press. The poly-urethane is high build clear gloss and there are 7 coats on the top and 3 coats on the base. The legs are 3-pieces and held together with 8qty 3/8×5″ long hex screws (counter-bored). Top is held on with 4qty 3/8×3″ long hex screws (counter-bored). My total cost was around $1k for the whole set, DIY of course. This was my first time building a piece of furniture and first time working with real oak. I plan to build a 50″ bench for one side of the table eventually (as the family grows).

Thanks again for the inspiration!!

Dan A.
    NW Ohio

5. myhreaa on April 3, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Turned out really nice. Not too difficult of a build.

• Nelson Jimenez on June 1, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Can you please tell me the name of the stains you use on your beautiful table you made

• myhreaa on June 1, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Minwax Wood Stain and the color is Provincial 211. The construction grade 2X4 take the stain darker than the Pine top giving it the two tone color. I also used a high gloss polyurethane finish with 5+ coats of coverage.

• Nelson Jimenez on June 3, 2017 at 6:12 am

6. Rick B on November 24, 2015 at 11:57 am

Loved this plan and it was a breeze to build thanks to the easy to follow instructions. I tweaked the dimensions a bit to better fit the space… 95″ long x 44″ wide. Finished it in a dark Jacobean Stain with 3 coats of Satin Poly and it came out great. Next up will be a sideboard to match!

• archimede5 on April 14, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Looks great Rick! Did you still use 3 pedestals or did you only use 2? I’m going to build it about the same size as you did.

• Rick B on April 16, 2016 at 8:02 am

I stayed with 3 and it worked well. Thanks and good luck!

• tasha on April 15, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Hi Rick – Where did you find the plans to assemble the top of the table? i’ve only come across the photos and nothing is listed on Ana’s site. Thanks

7. B. Laird on August 19, 2015 at 11:11 am

Just finished this for my fiance as our very first dining table in our new home. With the cost of good dining tables at $2k+, we were not going to be getting one any time soon! This was my first woodworking project and I am officially hooked and already planning my next furniture builds. I look forward to using your website in the future! Thanks!

• NoNameRequired on September 28, 2015 at 9:49 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!

• Rebekah Thomas on October 23, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Gorgeous! Where did you purchase your chandelier?

8. Rob B. on July 3, 2015 at 6:44 pm

My father and I are currently building this table at my wife’s request. He and I are amazed at how well it is going. Where can I send pictures if it looks as good when it is finished?

9. Greg Hindle on April 2, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Beautiful table. I have tons of 3x6x20ft real verticle grain old growth. redwood. I think it would be magnificent. I am thinking of making it 10ft by 46 in wide. Should be easy enough to adapt the plans Will be great on a patio.

Wonderful design.
    Greg Hindle.

10. Cristal Merryman on March 17, 2015 at 1:22 am

Where are the measurements ?

• Chris Tincher on April 26, 2015 at 5:28 am

Did you ever build the triple pedastal table?

11. Thomas Watson on January 9, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Thanks so much for the info and instructions. It looks amazing!

12. Chris Goodloe on August 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm

We’re in the process of making this table with the top out of walnut and the base out of white pine. We have most of the top done except for the trim where the plans call for us to nail and glue the 1x2s to the underside and then countersink 3″ screws through the 2×2 below it. Are we countersinking them all the way through to the table top itself or just into the 1×2?

Just curious since we want to make this as sturdy as possible and I assume this is where people would lift this table. We’re military so it will be moved quite a few times over its lifespan.

13. Nicole Reynolds on July 17, 2014 at 9:30 am

thanks for the free plans. i followed your plans for the legs and the overall frame. instead of staining the studs, i covered them in reclaimed lath i got for free on craigslist. it was way more tedious, but i’m happy with how it turned out. i also decided to make it a dining room table that can have a removable top to double as a shuffle board table. i haven’t made the table top yet. the shuffleboard playing board is not a true professional butcher block, but it’s working just fine for me. i joined pine boards, made a stud frame underneath, used a wood burner for the numbers, and then poured a couple of coats of epoxy on. the lath is lightly sanded with water based poly. thanks again

14. Laura Pearce on June 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

We made this table for a friend who really wanted it for her counter height chairs. Here is what it turned out like….i think I like it better as a “normal” height table 🙂 We are making one for ourselves now

15. Jeannette Tetz on June 14, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I want to make this table sooooooooo badly. Now to convince hubby >.<

16. Laura Pearce on June 7, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I am trying to build this table and I think of myself as a pretty good DIYer and follow directions pretty well. But I must admit this table top has got me stumped. The legs went together beautifully, however I am just not understanding the table top. My top is so weak in the middle. The 2×4 in the middle is just not holding it together. I guess I am lost on where the long 1×3’s go and the long 2×4’s go. In one picture it looks like the frame is made from the 2×4’s laying all the same (flat) and in another the picture it looks like the 2×4’s on the ends and sides are actually connected sitting up???? Can you offer any help here.
    Desperate

• Shanty2Chic on June 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm

The table top frame is 2×4’s laying flat sandwiching 2×2. There are measurements in the plans that tell you where to place the 1×3’s.

17. Kris on April 13, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I want this table! So beautiful. Can you please tell me how the poly process works? This seems to be a problem for me. It usually comes out bumpy and not smooth and glossy like it is supposed to.

18. Terri Sheppard on January 23, 2014 at 10:39 am

I have been trying to read and see how you attached the table top to the legs. Did you use the Kreg Jig or did you just screw it through the legs to the top??? I can’t use the apron on the table because of my son and was hoping that I could eliminate it.. Thanks..

19. Steve on January 19, 2014 at 8:11 am

I built this table at my wife’s request. First DIY attempt, and I think it went pretty well: http://stephenrcase.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/be-thou-the-unseen-guest-at-every-meal/ Thanks for the plans.

• Shanty2Chic on January 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

Wow Steve!!! This is SO GREAT! Lucky lady! Can’t believe it’s your first DIY…

20. lupitag89 on November 21, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Recently I was really, really low on money and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money on the internet! I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I’ve been far more able to pay my bills! I’m so glad, I did this!! – t7es