DIY Shelves

Happy Monday!  So, this is not a new project and I’m sure many of you have seen it before, but I love it so much that I want to share!

how_to_build_shelves

If they look familiar, you probably saw Whitney’s version HERE!  She made them for her little boys room and I LOVE them so much that I decided to make my own for an empty hallway wall upstairs.  They only took about 30 minutes to make and I spent $17 for two!!  Incredible:)

I followed Whit’s directions to a “T”.  I purchased 2 – white wood 1×4’s @8ft and 1 – select pine 1×2 @ 8ft.  I cut all my boards at 47″. If you do not have a saw, this hand saw is the PERFECT tool for this project and you will get lots of use from it!

diy_shelvesI LOVE the look my new shelves give my once boring hallway wall!  They are so fun to decorate and SO versatile!  I want some for every room in my house now;)

If you are ready to try your hand at building, this is the perfect project to start with!  Very easy, cheap and quick!  Where would you like to see these in your home?

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Katie Sommer on January 28, 2013 at 11:49 am

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but you should really credit Ana White for these. Not yourself or your sister. They turned out very nice.

• Shanty2Chic on January 28, 2013 at 11:52 am

Whitney does credit Ana in her post. She changed them up herself and I copied hers. We always give credit;) thanks!

• Katie Sommer on January 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm

That’s cool–I see where Ana is credited in the other project. I was talking specifically about *this* post, though. I don’t want to get all crazy with semantics, but you write “Whitney’s directions,” etc., and really they are Ana’s directions. There is no meaningful difference in the project directions. Sorry if I’m being annoying, but Ana is always so good about proper credit and I think it’s important for everyone to do the same. Again, nice job on the shelves. I enjoy your blog.

• Shanty2Chic on January 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Katie, we are friends with Ana and work directly with her. Whitney worked close with her on the alterations. No one is cheating anyone here. If the way this post is written directly offends you or if you feel like you have been cheated in some way I am sorry. Thanks again:)
          Sent from my iPad

2. JuneA** on January 26, 2013 at 10:54 am

Gorgeous! I love how they look. I must make some for my “portrait gallery” aka family pictures in the hall! 😉

3. Kelly Friedman on January 22, 2013 at 11:30 am

I love these shelves! I was wondering what colors you used on the walls? We’re starting to plan a re-do of my son’s room and I really like these colors.

4. Jen on January 22, 2013 at 8:28 am

love your version. I’m sharing a pix of mine, made them for blank wall in my dining room.

• Jen on January 22, 2013 at 8:35 am

never mind, it’s having trouble uploading. maybe another time! 🙁

5. Stacia Freeman on January 22, 2013 at 6:57 am

Great shelves! and I have that wood flower frame that is on a stand – Pier 1!

6. Barbara King Curtis on January 22, 2013 at 4:46 am

They are lovely. I have never done any DIY project and this was sure to be my first. Only thing is … Where are the directions? How do you put them together, hang them, sand them, paint them?

7. kathleen ward on January 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I saw the tutorial of the ones in the other post a few months ago and have wanted to put them in my living room. After seeing them again I know I will surely do it now. Thanks for having such a great blog!

8. naomi roberts on January 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

hey they look great! what did u use to hang them on the wall?

• Shanty2Chic on January 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

Thank you Naomi! I actually used wood screws and anchored them into studs! You can’t see the screws 🙂