DIY Wall Art ~ $15 Wooden Frames

Hey there!  Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I got busy building these cuties!

How_To_Make_a_Picture_FrameThey were quick, easy and only $15 each!  They are HUGE and a lot of BANG for your Buck;)

Here’s how you can build your own!  (My purchases and cuts are based on 3 frames).  ***I suggest measuring as you go, especially on the moulding cuts.  Boards tend to vary.)

Ryobi_Compound_MiterI purchased 2 – 1×6″ white wood boards and cut 9 @ 16 1/4″ with my Ryobi 10′ Compound Miter.  This saw is so smooth and perfect for smaller projects like this!

If you don’t have a Compound Miter saw, no worries!  This is a very simple miter-job that can be done with this inexpensive hand saw and miter box!

Next, I used my Kreg Jig Pocket Hole System to drill pocket holes into 6 of the 1×6 boards.

Pocket_HolesI drilled my 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws from each end of a 1×6 without pocket holes forming a pallet of 3 – 1×6 boards.

Miter_CutI purchased 3 – 1×2″ @ 8 ft. Select Pine boards for the outside trim.  I made 12 – 45 degree miter cuts at 18″ long point to long point.  (If you are not familiar with long point to long point, it refers to the measurement from the longest point on one end of the board to the longest point on the opposite end).  The ends will not be parallel, meaning that you will have to slide your miter from right to left to make your cuts on each board.

Ryobi_Battery_NailerI used my Ryobi 18-Volt Battery Brad Nailer to attache the 1×2 trim to the pallet.  (I also ran a thin line of Gorilla Glue wood glue at each joint for added strength)!

Moulding_CutsNow for some fun:)  I purchased 17 ft. of Quarter Round and made 12 – 45 degree miter cuts at 16 1/4″ (long point to long point).  I also purchased 10ft. of Cove Moulding and made 12 – 45 degree miter cuts at 9 1/2″ (long point to long point).

Miter_Cut_Quarter_Round***When cutting your moulding pieces, you will need to cut both ends of the board.  You can not finish one piece and use the mitered edge of the scrap piece.  You need to make a fresh cut and then cut the other end.***

Gorilla_GlueApply Gorilla Glue Wood Glue along the edges where the 1×2 trim and pallet meet and then lay your quarter round moulding down.

Install_Quarter_RoundAfter installing quarter round.

Install_Cove_Moulding

Now, apply a thin line of Gorilla Glue wood glue to the back of each cove moulding piece and arrange them in the center of the pallet forming a square frame.

Gorilla_Glue_Wood_GlueLet it dry:)

Rust-Oleum-Dark-WalnutOnce the glue dried, I applied one coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut stain to each frame.  I used a foam brush to apply, let it dry for about 5-10 minutes and then wiped it with a clean cloth.  You do not need to remove all of the excess stain when wiping.  Just use the cloth to blend it well.

Hot_Glue_Bull_Clip

Add_Bull_Clip

I purchased these super cute bull clips at Hobby Lobby and hot glued one in the center of each square frame.

Add_a_PictureAnd added a cute picture to each frame:)  And, that’s it!!!

Do_it_Yourself_Picture_Frame

diy_Picture_Frames

How_To_Make_a_Picture_FrameI used sawtooth hangers to hang the frames and used anchors to secure them to the wall!  I am so in LOVE with these cuties!  At only $15 each and about a day of work, you can’t lose!  I want them all over my house now;)

If you love my DIY Wooden Frames, I would love your pins!  Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Erica on October 13, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Hi! Thank you for this wonderful idea. I have a few questions. This is my first project and am new to measurements. I don’t have the tools you used either. If I go to Home Depot what are the measurements I tell them. Once again I apologize but I am new to this DIY. I am very excited to try this though.

• Erica on October 13, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Also I am a little confused with the part that you made holes and not sure what to do after. Thank you ????

2. Sandra Swayze on October 2, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I absolutely love these frames! I have 4 copper-glazed craftsman style tiles that would look so awesome them. They are 8″x8″. Would they fit?

3. Claudia sanchez on March 6, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I love this project, it was my first. Here is how they turn out

4. Choo Chiaw Ting on February 12, 2015 at 1:47 am

excellent

5. Dria @ DioHomeImprovements.com on August 9, 2013 at 8:18 am

I love these so much! They look like something you would find at a high end store!

6. corina trujillo on August 6, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Is there a printer friendly version of this?

• Shanty2Chic on August 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’m sorry there isn’t! I will see what I can do to make that happen in the future:)

7. Linda Crandall on July 22, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Thank you for another great weekend project! I has so much scrap wood left – I was able to make 4 frames instead of 3! Bravo for great instructions as well.

8. Tammy Hancock on July 21, 2013 at 4:22 am

I would love to make these. I have a Kreg Jig and it is awesome!!!!!! Very well worth the money spent to purchase it and so many uses for it. I would love to make these frames with glass in the inner frame and a beveled mat but not sure how to go about it. Any ideas?

• Lis West on August 7, 2013 at 5:45 pm

You would have to leave the inner frame open…no back at all. Then, with your Dremel with a router bit or a router with the correct bit to make the inner lip for your picture and glass to rest on. You could also keep the inner frame open as before but attach your cove molding (inner frame) about 1/4 inch over your back edge to make that lip needed for your picture and glass.

9. AJ on April 29, 2013 at 11:05 am

The measures are wrong! They are 16 1/4 in one side and 18 on the other. If you cut 3 planks of 1×6 @ 16 1/4, you will have 16 1/4 in length but when you add tree in a row they will make up 18. So the borders that will be cut are not all the same because it’s not a square. If you measure the final pictures of this project on this page with a white paper against the screen you can judge by yourself.
    The material right measures are as follows:
    – 1×6″ White wood boards cut 9 @ 16 1/4″
    – 1×2″ Pine boards for the outside trim. 6 – 45 degree miter cuts at 18″ short point to short point.
    – 1×2″ Pine boards for the outside trim. 6 – 45 degree miter cuts at 16 1/4″ short point to short point.
    – Quarter Round 6 – 45 degree miter cuts at 16 1/4″ (long point to long point).
    – Quarter Round 6 – 45 degree miter cuts at 18″ (long point to long point).
    – Cove Moulding 6 – 45 degree miter cuts at 9 1/2″ (long point to long point).
    – Cove Moulding 6 – 45 degree miter cuts at 10 1/2″ (long point to long point).

• Shanty2Chic on April 29, 2013 at 11:28 am

Hi AJ,
      I always appreciate when I am corrected on my measurement typos! However, what you are saying is not accurate. A 1×6 board is not 6″ wide (it will vary from about 5 1/4 to 5 3/4). This is true for all board measurements. So no, 3 1×6’s will not equal 18″. I suggested at the beginning of my post to measure as you go because board sizes vary quite a bit! In my case, the measurements I gave were correct. I went back and measured mine on my wall and there were no typos in this post. I do appreciate your time and the heads-up!

• AJ on April 29, 2013 at 12:09 pm

No problem, I was just trying to help. I did the project yesterday and ran into this problem. The 1×6 boards here where 1 inch by 6 inches. Making a total of three boards put together 18 inches in height.

10. Silvia on March 19, 2013 at 7:13 am

Your frame looks is fantastic so great. absolutely nice looks in home your frame. such wonderful your work and great job. thanks for sharing your great idea.

11. Kristin huds on March 15, 2013 at 5:48 am

This really a great idea, i want to say thanks for sharing this easy DIY wooden frame. I will try whenever i feel free. 🙂

12. Debbie Borthwick on March 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm

These are gorgeous!!! I love them, wonder if I can talk my husband into helping me create something similar?
    Debbie 🙂

13. Erma Butts on March 13, 2013 at 1:36 am

Super like it!!!! It’s so artistic of you to think of this. 🙂 Great job! -http://www.wallums.com/

14. Melissa Boyce on March 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Super freaking great idea! I love this!

15. Mindi Carwin on March 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Sooo Beautiful! I really really love these Ashley! I am pinning!

16. Tuesday Lemon on March 12, 2013 at 11:34 am

I would love to make these but don’t have that heavy duty machinery!lol Are there any alternatives that one could do if you don’t have the right equipment?

• Shanty2Chic on March 12, 2013 at 11:37 am

It can be done with a miter box and hand saw. It’s very inexpensive. I shared a link to one under the first picture of my saw 😉

• Tina Marinella on July 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

I fall into the same problem. I also don’t have the tool to make the holes in the back. I would love to make it otherwise.

• Arik on August 22, 2013 at 8:00 am

I’m going to try to peg it (drill a hole in two spots insert pegs in
        each with some glue). The idea came to me after putting together
        pre-made furniture. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• Arik on August 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Instead of the kreg jig, I used a drill. I drilled three holes in each side and put a 1/4 wooden peg in. Add in wood glue and let dry. I also tried staple gun and wood glue. Both worked just fine.

Instead of the nail gun, I used a hammer and nails. I used three finishing nails 1 1/2 inches long. Holds together beautifully.

Instead of the machine saw, I just used a hand saw. I had to make some adjustments, but the wood isn’t too thick that it was difficult to make the adjustments.

17. Dedriann Oberg on March 12, 2013 at 7:30 am

Love,love love! Really I love all your stuff. I finally did my first DIY wood project the $10 shelves. ??? I am using the same dark walnut stain but it doesn’t look as nice and dark like yours even after 3 coats …it still looks more honey colored. Any thoughts? Thank you for sharing all your wonerful posts!

• Shanty2Chic on March 12, 2013 at 7:34 am

Thank you Dedriann! Are you shaking the can before you stain? The color tends to settle at the bottom. ….

• Dedriann Oberg on March 12, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Not sure if the hubby shook or stired it..he did the staining for me I will have to check with him. My be I’ll give it another go. Thanks again for all the wonerful project tutorials

18. Giggling Gerty on March 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Amazing ashley! How did you hang them on the wall?

• Shanty2Chic on March 11, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Thank you Juanita:). I just used saw tooth hangers and anchors;). Dummy proof which is great for me;)

19. jill b on March 11, 2013 at 6:08 pm

What is the finished size? And what size picture did ya use? I just showed my husband and told him how much I wanna make these…

• Shanty2Chic on March 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm

They are 18×18″ each and I made my pictures 7×7″:)

Sent from my iPad

20. jill b on March 11, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I love these! And now I need them…

21. Michelle Minner on March 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Those are really cute! I love chunky frames!

• Shanty2Chic on March 11, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Thank you Michelle:)) Totally agree on the chunky frames;)

22. Korrie Bergman Bastian on March 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm

These look amazing! Way to go.