Free Printable – Letters & Numbers

Happy Friday!

I hope you are all having a great week!  Today I will be sharing a super easy project!  This one can be customized for any room in your house and I have done all the hard work for you!  I have been thinking of a fun way to do my son’s name for his room.  You guys know me… I wanted something cheap, easy and of course, so cute!  So… I created these great printable letters to get the job done.

Free Printable Letters Shanty2Chic

Free Printable Black and White Letters

And guess what?  You get them for free too!  Woohoo!  Who out there likes free?  Yah. Me too!

These are 8×10 prints that can be easily printed from home or a photo place (like Walmart, Walgreens, etc.).  Just click the letter you want to print below, and then press print from your browser bar up top.  Easy peasy.  Oh… And free. 😉  These are the 8×10 letters, and I will be posting everything in 5×7 as well later.

Letter A

Letter U

Letter V

Letter W

Letter X

Letter Y

Letter Z

And here are numbers 0-9, an ampersand and a heart…

Number 0

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Number 5

Number 6

Number 7

Number 8

Number 9

Ampersand

Heart

And don’t worry… If the project I am sharing with mine intimidates you, these can also be printed and put in an 8×10 frame just like this…

Free Printable Black and White Letters

Let me show you how I created my son’s letters for his room!  This is such an easy project.

I started with 1×12 whitewood or pine board.  You can get these in 4′ pieces at Lowe’s which makes them super easy to throw in the car.  They are right around $6 for a 4′ piece which will make 5 letters.  Here is a picture of my little helper assisting me with picking up our wood.   Come follow us on Instagram!

photo-2

For each letter you will cut a piece of your 1×12 at 9″ long.  His name has 6 letters, so I cut 6 pieces of 1×12 at 9″ long.  Here they are below.

Wood Letters

You can have the hardware store cut your wood for you, or you can use a cheap and easy hand saw like this one…

I used my Ryobi 10″ Compound Miter Saw for my cuts.  I had all of them cut in minutes.

Ryobi_Compound_Miter

Now for stain!  I used my favorite stain for mine…

rust-oleum-early-american

Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Early American

This stuff is the bomb.  It is a 1 coat application, and dries in under an hour.  LOVE.

While those were drying, I printed my letters I needed and used scissors to cut them out.  I like printing these on white cardstock.  You can also use plain printing paper, kraft paper or photo paper.  I just like the look of the cardstock best.

Printable Letters Free

Before attaching my letters, I sanded them down a bunch!  I made all the corners nice and round, and sanded away some of the stain to make them look distressed.  To do this I used my favorite tool in my collection…

Ryobi Corner Cat Finish Sander

I LOVE this tool.  It’s the best sander I have ever used, and always gives me the perfect finish that I am looking for.  Plus… It’s cheap!

Ryobi Corner Cat Sander

To attach my letters I used small silver furniture tacks that I found at the hardware store.  Just place one in each corner and use a hammer to lightly tap them into your wood.  Then, I put a small screw eye in the top of each board like this.

Wood Letters How To

Done.  How easy was that??

Next, I used twine to hang each one from a decorative hook.  Again… Easy!  I get asked all the time how I keep my frames and boards hanging so straight.  Here is a little ‘Shanty’ tip… Gorilla Tape.

Gorilla Tape White

You can find this at your hardware store.  I just tear a bit off, roll it up and stick it to the back of the board.  Then I stick it to the wall.  This tape is awesome… It stays sticking for a LONG time, and I never really have issues with it leaving mess behind or messing up my paint.

Gorilla Tape

So… Here they are all finished up!

Free Printable Alphabet Letters

Free Printables Letters

free printable letters

Free Printable Letters Shanty2Chic

And again… These can be framed in seconds as well!  Super easy… Super cute… Super cheap.  That is my kind of project! Woohoo!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I would love for you to share and PIN these letters below!  You guys rock!  🙂

Free Printable Letters s2c

1. Dennis Grimaldi Sr. on October 30, 2017 at 6:29 pm

I just down loaded the letters that I needed to my iMac to Pictures. Then I exported them to Photo. Edit each one, using the Crop Tool for a 5 x7. What I did was kept one for the 8 x 10.

2. Brandy Belmas on June 20, 2017 at 5:54 am

Did the 5×7 version of these ever make it on the site? I would LOVE to make these for my kids rooms at our new house!

3. MELISSA Dubbs on April 10, 2016 at 5:23 pm

is there a place to find the 5×7″s?

4. Karen on November 28, 2014 at 12:38 am

Thank you! This will help with a Christmas present I am planning.

5. Ashley Schultz on January 16, 2014 at 12:14 am

Love these. Thank you so much for sharing!

6. Jamie & Morgan on January 5, 2014 at 9:40 am

Love, Love, Love!!

7. Anne Hedrick on January 3, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! I found what I thought was a simple idea for some wall art and have been having a terrible time finding stencils or letters large enough (without paying an arm and a leg that is)! I truly appreciate your generosity and work!

8. dakacee on November 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I just found your site…and LOVE it!!! Thanks so very much for sharing your creativity 🙂 Has the 5 x7 versions been posted yet? Thx again 🙂

• Jen Creque on February 19, 2015 at 10:45 am

I need the 5×7 too

9. Danita Courtney on October 24, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thank you soooo much for sharing! I pinned you as a DIY and hope you get all the credit you deserve! I have been looking for something like this for over a year!!! I only needed an ampersand, but YOU had it!!!! Thank you again! Best wishes in all your new projects!
    Danita

10. McMitzi on September 7, 2013 at 9:20 am

5×7’s please!

11. Stacy Tils on August 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Hi there! I would love to use these for a bridal shower I am throwing. have you posted the 5×7 anywhere?

12. patty virginia on August 19, 2013 at 6:46 am

awesome! I’ve been looking for letters and numbers for a long time.Thanks for sharing.

13. Keri on July 30, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Is there a way to change the color of the letters? We are doing a babies room in yellow and green. Thanks.

14. Katie Horst on July 11, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Oops, my email address is katie@mattandkatie.info! Thank you!!

15. Katie Horst on July 11, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Hi there! I just found your blog and I love it!!! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity and inspiring me!!! I adore these letters and would really love to use the 5×7 version – would you be willing to email a few of them to me in the 5×7 size? I would like to have the letters H, M, R, and the ampersand. I would be so grateful!

16. Paige on July 8, 2013 at 9:11 am

I am trying to upload the V to spell LOVE and it will only print a black sheet? Is there anyway this could be fixed? Thank you!

17. Taylor on June 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Here’s my attempt! Thank you!!! Already feels so much more like home :). Can’t wait to make some more shanty2chic stuff!

• Shanty2Chic on June 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Oh I LOVE it! I love where you put it too! You are so sweet for sharing it with us… Thank you!!

• Paige on July 8, 2013 at 9:09 am

I am in LOVE with your blog, but I am trying to do my own little project with your letters and the V will not print for me? It just prints a black sheet. Is there anyway this could be fixed? Thank you so much!

• Wendy on September 3, 2013 at 9:20 am

Oh wow!!! great work. They look G-R-E-A-T!

18. Jenny Cardenas on June 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I love how detailed you are in your blog. Thank you for sharing!

19. Jenna on May 30, 2013 at 8:13 am

Hello! Have you posted the 5×7 sized letters anywhere?

20. Becki Malloy on May 8, 2013 at 9:01 am

I have a question. Everywhere I’ve looked to print these (I’d like to send them out since it seems like it would take a lot of black ink) won’t print PDF files. I’ve looked at Walgreens, Walmart, and Target. Is there something I’m doing wrong, or a way to save these into a jpeg format?
    Thanks!

• jroberts on May 20, 2013 at 11:53 am

Do a right click and save…go into that saved document, copy and then paste into Paint. From there you can “save as” a JPEG, bitmap, etc.

21. Ed & Joni Louwerse on May 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Hi, I’m trying to find the 5×7. Have they been posted? Thanks! jONI

22. Lyubov on April 25, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Thank you for this project! I was wondering, would the print outs on the regular document format paper look good nailed to the board or am I missing something? What sort of paper did you use, did the letters come out printed on the hard surface or were they just like your everyday white printing paper? Excuse my ignorance 🙁

23. Kerstin on April 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Have you had a chance to post the 5x7s? I am excited to use these, but need smaller ones. Thanks so much!

24. Rebecca Cook on March 28, 2013 at 11:58 am

How very kind to share these as free! Your project looks wonderful and I look forward to using the letters!
    Rebecca

25. Tiffany Marshall on March 28, 2013 at 11:20 am

Absolutely adore everything about this project! You are so creative & I love your website. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with all of us!!!

26. Jessica Fox on March 27, 2013 at 8:42 am

LOVE THIS IDEA! I have all of the materials bought — just waiting on the 5″ x 7″ letters. I have a thick grey and white striped wall as the focal point when you walk in our front door, so I am making this in our last name for everyone to see right when they walk in out home! Would you be so kind and post them please? Thank you 🙂

27. Erika Rogers on March 26, 2013 at 7:25 am

Thank you for the printables I am excited to use the letters in my own home.

28. danajone@aol.com on March 24, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I love your site. You are so creative with a budget friendly mind. So many ideas. I would love to do something like this in 5×7 letters. Are you still gonna do the free printables for 5×7? Again I love your site.

29. Wendy Tureson Smullin on March 22, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I love this project! Moving into a new home and loving the ideas!!

30. craftivitydesigns on March 22, 2013 at 9:26 am

Love these letters! I featured you today on my Kick-Off Friday post! http://craftivitydesigns.blogspot.com/2013/03/kick-off-friday_22.html

31. Sunshine Raye on March 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Thank you so much for these. I love them and have so many places I want to use them.

32. Kathleen Bell on March 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm

You guys are the best. I love a new Shanty project!

33. Erin S of Forney, TX on March 16, 2013 at 9:14 am

Thank you SOOO much for all that you ladies do on this blog. I have you to thank for my new need for power tools. My first was a compound miter saw… I used my husbands pneumatic tools to do the rest. Well we split and I was left with no other tools.. So I had to restock.. got a great deal on a porter cable set. Each with an 18v lithium battery. It came with a 10″ cordless circular saw & cordless drill. Both with a bag and charger for only 89.00!!!! I also got a sander like yours.. 26.00! It didnt come with a battery, but I already have 2 and you can only charge one at a time, or only need to with the quick charger. I am going today to get a kreg jig system and dremel trio. My husband kept those too. They are definitely necessary to have in your tool kit.

Before I found your blog, the last thing I would have cared about would be power tools. But times, they – are – a – changin’. Now Nana needs her power tools!! So thank you so much for all of the work you put in on this blog. It is really nice! And to have you guys in my own backyard, even better! I just wish I could have gotten a way to go see you guys at your thing at Home Depot. I am not able to drive due to Lupus causing me to have seizures so I had to find a ride and it was during the week and a good ways from my home even if we are in the same D/FW area… Hopefully you will do another thing at a store closer to me! That would be so great! Fingers crossed!

Erin S aka Nanasrcool

34. Hadas De-Vir on March 16, 2013 at 8:03 am

thank you soooo much!!!! i love it!!

35. Kim on March 16, 2013 at 6:32 am

Seriously! I’m so excited about this!! I’m making these today with the letters P, R, O, M, 2, 0, 1, 3 for group prom photos. I had a vision of what I wanted, then while on FB I saw this. Perfect! I love your style and great ideas! Thank you.

• Shanty2Chic on March 16, 2013 at 6:42 am

Yeah Kim!! So happy you love them! What a fun idea using them in photos! Thanks so much for your sweet message! 🙂

36. Stephanie Lewsey on March 16, 2013 at 2:09 am

Love this project, and can see many uses for the graphics. I have downloaded all but ‘&’ it doesn’t download, can you fix the problem?

• Shanty2Chic on March 16, 2013 at 6:36 am

Done! Problem solved… I had saved it under a bad file name. Oops! Thanks for catching it for me!! Have a good one!

37. Melissa Boyce on March 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Another great idea!

38. Scherree Murray on March 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

You have a wonderful God given talent, keep up the great work. I love everything you post. May the Lord continue to bless you. LOVE LOVE THE POST………..

• Shanty2Chic on March 15, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Thank you SO much for your message Scherree… This made my day 🙂

39. Amy Sillery Carter on March 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm

This is great and thanks for sharing. I love all of your ideas.

40. Nicole on March 15, 2013 at 11:27 am

This is a great project! I love your blog! I love the gorilla tape tip. I was also wondering if you had a good tip on how to get those hooks perfectly spaced and level? I am horrible at hanging more than two pictures in a row and always mess it up. Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on March 15, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Haha! I hear you! I did hang my first one and measured it. I hung all the rest after that one off of those measurements. I also started with a penciled line along the wall where the bottom of the boards should sit. That gave me something to go off of… Hope this helps!! 🙂

• Nicole on March 18, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Thanks!

41. Debbie Borthwick on March 15, 2013 at 11:07 am

This is an awesome project! I love how it turned out. I have a couple of grandsons, now with their own rooms in a new home. This would be perfect for them. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Debbie 🙂