Hose Holder for the Garden DIY

Good Morning!

I hope you all had a great weekend!  We had some beautiful weather here, so I tackled a few projects that have been on my list.  Yesterday I threw together a hose holder for the back patio!  Here is how it turned out…

Garden Hose Holder DIY

How cute is that?  And guess what?  The whole thing cost me $15.  Makes it even cuter… I know.

Let me first start by saying why I tackled this project…

I got some new pots for my back patio last week.  I shared them HERE on Instagram for those of you that follow us!  Here is what they look like…

Container Garden

I love them.  I knew these bad boys had about a 2% chance of survival if I didn’t have a quick and easy way to water them.  It has to be quick and easy or I just flat don’t do it.

So… Along came cute water hose holder.

This took me about 20 minutes to throw together.  It is super easy to do!

You will start with a 4x4x8′ pine board from the hardware store.  I bought mine at Lowe’s for around $9.  I would have Lowe’s cut it in half for you.  Now you will have enough post to make 2 of these.  You can tag up with a friend and build them together, or you can make 2 for yourself!

4x4 wood for hose holder

Now you will need 2 pieces of wood.  You can skip this part and jump straight to the finial, but I like how the wood pieces beef the top up a bit!  I was able to pull mine from my scrap pile.  You might be able to do the same.  You will only need 2 small pieces.

This piece will go first…

Wood for garden hose holder

Then this piece on top of that…

Wood for Hose Holder

I just used Gorilla Wood glue between each piece….

gorilla_wood_glue

and my Ryobi AirStrike Battery Nailer to attach the pieces.  LOVE this nailer!!  It is super easy to use.  My kids even like using it to “build” with me!

Ryobi AirStrike Battery Nailer

Now, just drill a hole for the wood finial.

Ryobi Drill

I use these finials from Lowe’s.  I know some of you have mentioned that your Lowe’s doesn’t carry them.  You can also find lots of different ones here on Amazon!

Wood Finials from Lowes

Here it is screwed into the top!

Wood Finial for Hose Holder

For the water hose holder I found this wall mount holder for $5 at Walmart.  You can also find them at Home Depot for $9.

hose holder from home depot

I used some exterior wood screws to attach it to my post like this…

Attach Hose Holder to post

That’s it!  My final step was painting it!  I gave mine 2 good coats of Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in semi-gloss black.

Screen shot 2013-06-03 at 5.36.54 AM

Now… this is how I put mine in the ground.  I am lucky enough to have a 7 year old who loves dirt and digging in it.  So, I put him to work digging me an 18″ hole where I wanted to post to go.

Dig hole for hose holder

They do come in handy sometimes, huh? Hehe 🙂

Then, I just put my hose holder into the hole, added a few rocks to help stabilize it and filled the dirt back in.  I put mulch over all of that to make it pretty again.  Simple!

Here are a few more pics!

Hose Holder for the Garden

Hose Holder for the Water Hose

Garden Hose Holder

Garden Hose Holder DIY

DIY Garden Hose Holder

Hope you love it!  I do and I am pretty sure my pots will too 😉

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Make sure to check out my new outdoor dining table I made for $85 too!

DIY Table Pottery Barn Inspired

I would love for you to share and PIN this project below!  You guys are great!

Thanks so much!

1. Crystal Dela Cruz Andon on April 11, 2017 at 11:56 am

What size did you use for the wooden exterior screws?

2. Lauren on September 5, 2016 at 8:10 am

Did you use a pressure treated post? I’ve heard that it’s hard to paint wood that has been pressure treated so I just wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing!

3. wizzzzzzzz on March 30, 2016 at 3:42 pm

love this idea very much, Im going to adapt it to my own needs, thank you

4. Kristi Marie on July 1, 2015 at 11:49 am

It says to use a 4x4x8 to begin with. Did you use an 8′ post and bury it 18″, or did you in fact use a 4′ post and bury it 18″? Might be a silly question, but 4′ buried that deep seems a little short. What length did you all use?

5. Samantha on October 1, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I am making this!!!!! Yes!

6. Krista Mott on September 17, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Picture didn’t seem to load on last post. Sorry

7. Krista Mott on September 17, 2014 at 6:37 pm

This is mine- thanks for the great idea!

8. pam reynolds on May 24, 2014 at 4:43 pm

ok i think i got it to work this time lol

• Shanty2Chic on May 24, 2014 at 10:08 pm

This looks great Pam!! Way to go!!! 🙂

9. pam reynolds on May 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm

trying to get the pic to upload so i can share with you guys

10. pam reynolds on May 24, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Made mine today Thanks for the plans!!!

11. Linda Lowe on November 11, 2013 at 10:31 am

With the other half of the post left over from the water hose project, I made a holiday sign holder. Instead of hanging a water hose holder from it, attached a hook to it, and I intend to hang holiday signs, wreaths, whatever I might make for each particular month, from it. In the months that I don’t make a special sign, I have a “Welcome Friends” sign I can hang.

12. Linda Lowe on November 11, 2013 at 10:27 am

I went to Lowe’s this weekend to buy the post and needed help picking out a nice one, and I explained to the two guys helping me that I wanted it to be a nice piece, because I was making a water hose post and it would be out for everyone to see. One of them asked, “Did you see the project on the internet?”. I said “yes.” He asked, “Shanty Chic”? I laughed and said “yes” again. Even the men at Lowe’s know you now!

13. Anne on July 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Just a quick mention to those of you making this adorable and functional holder – because it is pine, being buried in the ground will deteriorate the wood. To avoid this, use a pressure treated post or redwood.

• wizzzzzzzz on March 30, 2016 at 3:45 pm

yes also I put pressure treated 2 feet into the ground and 4 ft above to make it very sturdy great idea

14. Jackie Toye on July 21, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Love it!!! I can do that, too. and Thanks for the battery operated nailer. didn’t know they exist. I want one!! 🙂 Thanks

15. Melanie on July 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I just posted about my hose holder on my blog. Thanks so much for the inspiration!! 🙂

16. Laura Pearce on June 19, 2013 at 11:05 am

I fell in love with Garden hose holder the moment I saw and knew I had to make one for myself. I absolutely love Shanty2Chic’s site. I am on it everyday. Thank you guys for such an inspirational place to get some beautiful and fun ideas. I have enclosed a picture of the garden hose holder we made. I improvised a bit as I really needed it to be totally free for me to make. I used all scraps and things I had around my craft area. Here is what I came up with…

17. Chrissy Dolezal on June 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

I pinned this and just got a notice from Pinterest that you asked them
    not to let it be pinned due to copyright infringement? I’m confused
    since it says in your post to pin it?

• Shanty2Chic on June 5, 2013 at 11:17 am

You probably repinned a photo that looked like it went to our site but was directing to a different page. You can still pin it directly from our page. Unfortunately, people steal content and do this often. Sorry for the trouble!

• Chrissy Dolezal on June 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

I did pin it from your page.

• Shanty2Chic on June 5, 2013 at 11:24 am

Not sure then Chrissy! I never requested for a pin leading directly to our site to be removed. Sorry!

• Brenda Miller DePue on June 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

same thing just happened to me! — I re-pinned it again .. we’ll see if they remove it again. Fantastic idea – think I will be making this over the weekend!

• rachel on June 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm

same here! pinterest keeps deleting it and i got an email saying they have a copywright complaint from whitney gainer?? …

• rachel on June 5, 2013 at 12:24 pm

and i repinned it 2x from your site

• Melanie @ Whimsical Creations on June 5, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Same thing just happened to me. I actually pinned it directly from your page also.

• Shanty2Chic on June 5, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I’m really not sure what the issue is guys… I have contacted Pinterest though. Thanks for the heads up!

• Melanie @ Whimsical Creations on June 6, 2013 at 7:01 am

Yep, Pinned it again right after I posted the comment. (using my pin it button going directly to this post- I checked it) and this morning it was removed again. 🙁

• Shanty2Chic on June 6, 2013 at 7:03 am

I have emailed Pinterest. Not sure what’s going on. Sorry for the trouble! 🙂

• Tracie Lavering Black on July 2, 2014 at 10:41 am

Try right clicking it and save the picture.

18. Bea on June 5, 2013 at 11:09 am

Absolutely love this idea. So simple and functional.

19. Tia on June 3, 2013 at 11:03 pm

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! Sooo simple too 🙂 Only thing is, where I need to put it is all concrete so I can’t bury it… Any thoughts on a base for a freestanding one? Would it be sturdy enough or too top heavy with the hose on it?

• bobby parnell on June 3, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Why not use something like a simpson strong tie (home depot has them) It would anchor the post to the concrete. You could always wrap the bottom of the post with some trim to hide the strong tie.

20. Hillary @ The Friendly Home on June 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I’ve been contemplating making this same thing! Except I need four of them for our school garden and don’t really feel like digging four 18″ holes…I might have to find a shovel guy of my own. 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on June 5, 2013 at 4:53 am

Haha! Good call… That was really the only part I wasn’t looking forward to messing with 🙂 Good thing I put him to work! I am building 2 more today so he will be a busy boy!

21. ArteAnneMarie on June 3, 2013 at 8:33 pm

nice!!! I can do this one yeeeeiiii kisses from Chile

22. Marian Kerekgyarto on June 3, 2013 at 7:54 am

Love it! One of those things you say “so simple – why didn’t I think of it”!!

23. Leslie Stewart on June 3, 2013 at 6:59 am

Love it! You are one talented lady! Thanks for sharing.

24. Melissa Moore on June 3, 2013 at 6:53 am

I will be making this for sure! Thanks for sharing!

• Shanty2Chic on June 5, 2013 at 4:54 am

Great Melissa! Send pics when you get it done! Thanks so much!!