Hanging Basket Wood Stand

Hey hey!  Happy FRIDAY!

Have I mentioned that I am kind of on an outdoor kick at the moment?  Yup… I want to plant something almost daily.  It’s a sickness.  I LOVE hanging baskets.  I think they are so pretty and add so much character to the spaces they are displayed.  I really don’t have any space on the actual outside of my house to hang them, so I thought it would be fun to create a stand to hold it for me.  This is such a simple project!  Here is how it turned out…

Hanging Basket Stand

This is so easy!

Let’s get started…

You will need 3 pieces of wood.

2 – 2x4x8

1 – 2x8x8 at least 24″ long

This is a great scrap pile project for you hoarders like myself!

Here are my cuts for the 2×4…

How to build a basket hanger

I used my Kreg Jig to make the pocket holes on the longer boards.  Then, just attach them like this…

Kreg Jig Porch Swing

Are you wondering what the heck a Kreg Jig is?  Just check out our video here!  We have tried to explain it in very simple terms!

Now for your 2×8… This will need to be 24″ long and I attached it using wood screws from the base into my rectangle like this…

Base of Basket Hanger

Now for the hook… I found these great 50lb utility hooks at Lowe’s on the hardware aisle.  Just drill a small hole in the center of the top of your rectangle…

Drill Hole for Basket Hanger

And twist your hook in!

Hook for Basket Hanger

I used a finial from Lowe’s to fancy up the top a bit… I think it’s the perfect touch!

Top of plant hanger

And a really bad full shot…

Plant Hanger from Wood

I filled my pocket holes with wood putty like this…

Putty for pocket hole

Finally, I gave everything a coat of Rust-Oleum black spray paint and let her dry!  I used a sander to rough my edges up a bit after!  So shanty!

I found the basket at Lowe’s along with the Creeping Fig and Coleus.  I filled the basket and hung it up!  That’s it!

What do you think??

Hanging Pot Stand

Plant Stand from Wood

Hanging Plant Stand

Distress Paint

Wood Finial

Hanging Basket Stand

Thanks so much for stopping by!

I would love for you to share this and PIN it with your peeps below!

Have an AWESOME weekend!

1. disqus_HalgOWFrpr on May 31, 2016 at 3:57 pm

HI! LOVE this. one question though… Does this end up being wobbly or tipping in the wind at all? thanks! 🙂

2. Shakhar on April 17, 2016 at 7:41 am

I’m making this today! My mom’s birthday is coming up, and what do you buy for the woman who has EVERYTHING??? You don’t! You make her something! I’m very excited. Actually, I’m making 2 one for her and one for me. Might as well, right? I got my kreg jig ready to roll. woot woot

3. Adriana on April 10, 2016 at 4:28 am

I’m making this for mothers day. My mother is going to love it!!! 🙂

4. Robyn Wasem on March 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Thank you so much for the plans. I found this on pinterest and it was perfect. The only thing I did different was I added a 4×4 to bottom to add the words welcome and also give it more strength with the wind. It added weight to the bottom. I also added two eye screws to it , to add interchangeable signs for each month instead of a plant. Thank you again!

5. Shakhar on January 10, 2016 at 7:12 pm

I love this idea! You can hang wind chimes from it too 🙂 or even a hanging candle holder for outside at night. 🙂

6. wendy on September 23, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Love! this is perfect for someone like me who lives in an apartment building. I can’t hang anything heavy from the balcony… this would sit nicely on the floor instead! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

7. Karen Thompson on September 12, 2015 at 11:15 am

what is the length of the long 2×4’s

8. Charles Veale on May 13, 2015 at 9:06 am

Great idea and simple to make! I made two of these for Mother’s day and it was the perfect gift.

I did make a few small changes that might or might not be your cup of tea:

I made a small 1/2″ circular cut about 1/4″ into the wood on either side of the vertical board to insert a copper rod which I cut to fit the width between the boards (plus the hole cut depth). The copper rod was just a standard plumbing copper rod that I got at HD 1/2″ diameter. I thought the look was a bit better than just the hook at the top. Also, I used cedar boards for the frame and pressure treated wood for the base. The reason I chose pressure treated wood for the base was because it is MUCH heavier than cedar and has a similar resistance to the elements. This made the stand bottom heavy because cedar is so light and added to the stability of the stand.

9. Allison R on May 2, 2015 at 9:07 pm

My husband and I made two for our mothers. We couldn’t find finials (no Lowes here) so we ended up using little birdhouses. We’re not at all handy, but we were pretty proud of the result!

10. Joe Bechtel on May 2, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Just finished making one of your plant hangers. I changed one thing, I did not put a finial on top. I found an inexpensive watering can, put a little saying on it with my wife’s silhouette and mounted a plate on top for the can to sit on.

11. Brandy on March 14, 2015 at 9:31 am

I loved this so much… I actually tackled this project!! Well, with the help of my husband, of course!! We gave it to my mom for her January birthday to help beat the winter-time blues by bringing on the Spring! She loved it!! I love your projects and look forward to taking on another one soon!

12. Guest on February 27, 2015 at 9:04 am

What is the stain you used on that? I think I’d like to use it in the future on the farmhouse table I am going to build.

13. Darlene on April 23, 2014 at 1:49 pm

what size is the planter that you are using in the photo?

14. Emily Leach Kinzle on March 30, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Where did you get your finial? My husband made a couple stands for me today. Going to give them out for Mother’s Day. I just need to rough them up & add the hooks & finials. Thanks for such a great idea. 🙂

• Beth Minch Dover on August 18, 2014 at 6:55 pm

The only place I’ve been able to find them is Lowes – they come in packs of 2 for about $3.

15. Eugene Rasmussen on July 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I live in the Midwest, northern plains, and right off I can see the base isn’t going to withstand the gusts of wind here. A wider base, in such cases, would help.

16. Sherry Cole Maye on July 8, 2013 at 5:32 am

I love this! I have a feeling my husband will add this to his many projects, but I think maybe I can do it! Such a clever idea! Thank you! So Pinning this!

• Shanty2Chic on July 8, 2013 at 8:47 am

Thank you so much Sherry! Happy to grow your list 😉

17. Kim on July 6, 2013 at 5:16 pm

So pretty. I don’t have a covered porch here. Would it be okay to have this uncovered to the weather elements? Rain won’t ruin the stand or anything?

• Sherry Cole Maye on July 8, 2013 at 5:33 am

You should probably use treated wood if you want to use it in the elements…. it would last longer 🙂

18. Jeanne W. on July 6, 2013 at 10:49 am

This is SO dang pretty. I really love it. But I think I’d need it to be more stable at the base, I live in Florida and we have strong winds and rains a lot. I thinking of adding some type of stabilizer feet….

19. Dee Ellis on July 6, 2013 at 4:18 am

Great idea & looks so nice.

20. Linda Crandall on July 5, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Love this! If you did some tall and some shorter you could make a divider between villa homes or apartment patios for privacy!

21. Marjie on July 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This is such a neat idea! I love it. Now if I just had something besides a hammer and a hand saw (did you hear the words “power tool” there?) it would make me think it might actually happen here. Anyway, it’s a cute idea and you can stick it anywhere…here a day, there a day…

• Shanty2Chic on July 6, 2013 at 5:07 am

You can totally do this without the power tools! They make it easier, but a hand saw works like a charm too 😉

• Sweetsarebear on April 22, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I lack the Kreg Jig. Any tips?

22. Amanda Green Bottoms on July 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

Love it!! Love your outdoor kick!! 🙂

23. Terri Betz on July 5, 2013 at 8:42 am

Love this! Great for renting decorators! Thanks for sharing!

24. Theresa Cochrane Lenz on July 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

This is awesome, I also have a huge scrap pile, this is the perfect project for it!

• Shanty2Chic on July 6, 2013 at 5:08 am

Yeah! You have to love a good scrap pile project!! 😉

25. astrollthrulife on July 5, 2013 at 8:21 am

I love it what a great idea and so creative. Hugs, Marty

26. Christine Lalonde on July 5, 2013 at 8:18 am

I love this idea, I will have to try this.

• Shanty2Chic on July 6, 2013 at 5:09 am

Yeah! Send some pics on Facebook if you get it done! 😉

27. Corinna Henderson on July 5, 2013 at 8:00 am

You are SO RIGHT! I DO need one of these! SO Easy, I will be trying this!

• Shanty2Chic on July 6, 2013 at 5:09 am

Yeah! Maybe you need 2 😉 Thanks!!

28. Gail on July 5, 2013 at 7:58 am

Love this so much! Thanks Girls! Pinned!

29. Lori Nicholas on July 5, 2013 at 7:20 am