How to make a Hanging Bathroom Shelf for only $10!

Hey guys!

I hope you all had an awesome weekend!   For those of you that follow us on Instagram, you may have seen this project my little guy helped me put together!  This is my new hanging bathroom shelf!

Bathroom-Shelf

Hanging-Bathroom-Shelf-Tutorial

How fun is that?  I have struggled with this blank wall over the toilet in my very small powder bath for sometime.  My original plan was to make some built in shelves.  I thought it would be great to come up with something that anyone could hang on their wall though, and really move it to any wall of their house as well.  So… For the renters out there, this guy is for you too!  Woohoo 🙂

Let’s get started!

The tutorial is below.  Ash and I also teamed up with Ryobi Tools to bring you this how-to video on the hanging shelf.  This will show you how to assemble it if you don’t own a Kreg Jig!

Supply List

1 – 2x4x8 whitewood or pine board

1 – 2x6x8 whitewood or pine board

Kreg Jig (optional)

wood screws

Gorilla Wood Glue

Sisal Rope from your local hardware store

Cute hook (cute is not optional ;-))

Your first step will be making your cuts.  I used my Ryobi 10″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw for this.  We love this saw.  We get asked all the time which saw we use and this is it!  We did a small how-to video on it HERE.  You can also get the guys at the hardware store to cut your boards for you.

Ryobi_Sliding_Compound_Miter_Saw

Here is the cut list…

2×4 board

2 cuts at 40″ long

2×6 board

3 cuts at 21″ long

DIY-wood-shelf

Wood-Bathroom-Shlef

Once you have made your cuts you are ready for Step 2!

Step2

Click below to purchase a Kreg Jig Master System!

1. Brett Locey on July 4, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Had the everything to make this .. I did change it up a little. I cut the 2×6 to fit flush around the 2×4 ..
    Turned out great !!!

• www.WoodworkPlans.info on July 29, 2018 at 11:08 am

⁣💙💙💙💙❤❤❤❤❤❤
      💙💙💙💙❤❤❤❤❤❤
      💙💙💙💙❤❤❤❤❤❤
      💙💙💙💙❤❤❤❤❤❤⁣
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

❤ I built my own using the plans at www. WoodworkPlans.info – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

❤ Head on over to www. WoodworkPlans.info if you want to learn more – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨

2. abanana on March 14, 2016 at 12:30 am

Love it. The perfect solution for my bathroom and the kitchen, too. Wonder how it can look painted. Thanks for posting this

3. amy on June 10, 2015 at 9:20 am

modified this to make a spice rack for in my kitchen! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

4. Don Heth on January 25, 2015 at 10:08 am

Had the wood, had the rope, and had the stain. Total cost $0.00, and it looks great

5. Rachel on July 28, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Love your projects! I’ve completed several so far, this one is coming up! I love the framed “G”. Did you print that from somewhere?

• abanana on March 14, 2016 at 12:36 am

I believe you can make this on Word. Or buy on Etsy

• Laura Ganser on November 13, 2016 at 8:40 pm

I have looked all over Etsy for this. Has anyone found it?

6. Mrs Major Hoff (Sara) on June 29, 2014 at 11:28 am

Love it! You girls are always so clever!

7. Tara on March 11, 2014 at 8:49 pm

How can I hang this without having a stud in the center of the wall?

• abanana on March 14, 2016 at 12:34 am

I wonder if the plastic anchors would help. It all depends on your walls.

8. Hannah on January 24, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Great project! Where did you get those jars?

9. Kris on January 14, 2014 at 11:23 am

How much weight does this structure support?

10. Rachal on September 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I finally made this shelf last week. I have been stalking (I mean following) you two for a couple months. I have also made wall decor, curtains, and serving trays all inspired by y’all My hubby bought me a miter saw for our anniversary, and a kreg jig for my birthday! I am unstoppable now, and a little scary. 🙂 Thanks for sharing all your great ideas.

11. TexasDrew on August 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm

This idea is cool indeed.I just added it to my honey do list for my wife.

12. Tess on August 6, 2013 at 5:55 pm

That is beautiful!!

13. Laura Strack on August 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I need shelving above 2 of toilets and this is perfect. Cute hook 😉

14. Adriana Hernandez on August 4, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Looks amazing!!! This will be my next project. You girls are a huge inspiration. I do have a question. Since i dont have the pocket hole machine and you mention is optional. What can I do to make it work? Thank You!!

• Miss O on August 5, 2013 at 6:23 am

She doesn’t mention it here, but on page 2 she has instructions on how to affix the wood screws if you don’t have a pocket hole drill. Hope this helps!

• Adriana Hernandez on August 5, 2013 at 6:33 am