Cheap and Easy Way to Update a Bathroom!

Hey there!  I know there are so many of us that have these boring, builder-grade mirrors hanging in their bathrooms!

Builder-Grade-MirrorOur little sister, Leasha, moved into her new home this year and she decided she wanted to spruce up her bathroom mirrors a bit!  This is by far one of the easiest ways to fancy-up your boring mirrors and the best part about this project is that it won’t damage your mirror and it’s not permanent so you can change them in and out as your taste changes.  This is also perfect for those who are renting!

Here is the after – after about 45 minutes of work and about $15 😉

DIY-Mirror-FrameCan you believe the difference!  Here’s how we did it!

Leasha’s mirror was 42″x28″.  We added an inch to each side so our frame would be 43″x29″.  (We purchased 2 1×4 pine boards for this mirror.  Pine is the most affordable route). These measurements will be long point to long point.  You can use a handsaw and miter box or a miter saw to make these cuts.

Miter-Cuts

How-to-make-a-Miter-CutI used my miter saw.  You will make a 45 degree cut on one side, mark the measurement, swing the arm to the opposite side and make another 45 degree cut!  EASY 🙂

How-to-Kreg-Jig-Miter-CutsI used my Kreg Jig to make pocket holes in the short boards.  Just place the board in with the angle flush against the base of the Jig.  I drilled 2 holes on each end.

We want these frames to look very smooth and clean because they are going to be mirror frames.  I used pine boards to save money but we need to use a little elbow grease to clean them up before we stain them!

3M-Mask

I started by using a 3M Sandblaster sanding pad to sand all of the edges and the top of the boards.  3M has a great line of 3M Advanced Abrasives to choose from!

I started by using a 3M Sandblaster sanding pad to sand all of the edges and the top of the boards.  These are great because they are flexible and they last a long time!I always use 3M TEKK Protection when I work!

3M-Wood-Filler

Wood-PuttyNow, go back and fill any gouges and scratches that your boards have with 3M Wood Filler .  If you are staining, make sure to get the stainable wood filler!

DIY-MirrorNow for the finish!  I stained the boards with Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut stain and attached them with 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws.

Now for the big SECRET!

Command-StripsWe are going to hang this beauty with 3M Command Strips!  They are perfect for this project because they will not leave a residue on the mirror when you take it down!

***I removed all of her mirror clips so that the frame fit.  Leasha’s mirrors are very secure but if you are concerned about removing yours, you can buy very thin plastic mirror clips at your local hardware store to replace them.  The frame will fit over the thinner style clips:)***

DIY-Mirror-FrameThat was IT!  This project just makes me giddy!  You just get so much bang for your buck and it really does change the entire look of the bathroom!  What’s even better is that when you decide to revamp your bathroom again, you can just pop it off, pull the 3M Command Strips off and make another!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  If you love this project, we would LOVE your pins 🙂

~ Ashley

This post is a collaboration with 3M DIY. To keep up-to-date on projects, products and sampling visit 3MDIY.com and be sure to follow all of their social media sites!

3M DIY Facebook Page

3M DIY Twitter Page

3M DIY YouTube Page

1. Lora on January 11, 2018 at 10:02 pm

So you just use the sticky part of the strips, not the hooks? It stick yo the wood ok?

2. Grace on November 1, 2016 at 11:56 am

Did you put any sort of sealant on your frame after staining it? If not, have you found that your frame has warped at all from the moisture?

• Jessica Ann Soldevila on February 19, 2017 at 6:53 pm

i have the same ? I was told i HAVE to use one at HD bc of the moisture in the bathroom??

3. alixa on February 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Yes, how do you make the mirror stay on the wall after you remove the plastic brackets holding it to the wall? You had to remove them to make the frame lay flat, right?

4. Darr247 on August 9, 2014 at 1:15 am

Wait… if you removed the clips so the frame would fit flush, what holds it all up after you stick the frame to the mirror?

• Kellie Kent on June 9, 2015 at 10:36 am

When we did our remodel and removed the clips there was so much construction adhesive on them that the clips were more of a “back up”. I had to replace the sheetrock.

• Jeff on March 31, 2016 at 11:51 am

Apparently 3M command strips…

5. Judy on June 4, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Very Pretty! We live in an apartment and this would definitely give our bathroom an extra nice added touch! 🙂

6. Beth Shay on August 21, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I cannot BELIEVE I didn’t think to use Command Strips! I have been a CS junkie since they FIRST came out! I am going to have to think about how I can make two frames fit. I have a mirror over a double sink..It may take me awhile, but I will figure it out! thanks Thanks THANKS for the idea!

7. Jules on August 21, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Love this!! Such a great idea. I’ve been wanting to do this in my master bath forever but didn’t want to pay for one of those pre-fab ones that cost a fortune!

8. CityGirlCountryBloke on August 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Very cleaver trick with the 3M command strips! I never would’ve thought about that!

9. Two It Yourself on August 21, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I am battling a builder grader mirror too, only mine is oval and I am having a terrible time trying to figure out how to “customize” it. Any ideas??!!!

• A Dalley on July 23, 2016 at 8:40 am

I have seen oval frames at art supply stores. Unfinished frames were not too costly. Good luck.

10. Tanya on August 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

What a gorgeous update! All of my mirrors are lacking frames, I LOVE this idea!! xo – Tanya

11. Brenda Tylke on August 21, 2013 at 8:49 am

I’ve seen these put on with Velcro as well. It looks so much nicer with a frame than just the plain mirror. Going to have to do this one day!

12. astrollthrulife on August 21, 2013 at 7:39 am

Love it and the command strips is genius. Great project and it looks amazing. Hugs, Marty