DIY Restoration Hardware Dining Table!

Oh HEY guys!  For those of you that follow us on Instagram, you have seen the progress of this baby I am sharing today.  I am in LOVE… With a table.  Not ashamed.

I loved my old dining set, but have always wanted to build one myself for my fam.  With 5 kiddos under the age of 11, we live a casual lifestyle, and I avoid cushions if at all possible.  Casual doesn’t have to be simple and boring though!  So, I enlisted the help of my sweet, furniture planning guru, Miss Ana White to help me come up with this BEAUTIFUL and beefy DIY farmhouse dining table…

DIY Dining Table

Dining Table DIY

Isn’t is the bomb??  Too legit to quit!  Restoration Hardware wants $3000 for it… I made it for $100 in wood.

I am going to share lots of tips and tricks on building this right here, and you can see the full set of free plans for the table on Ana’s site!

Let’s get started!

I knew I wanted this table to be big and beefy, so I was immediately drawn to using 4×4’s for the base.  These are beautiful and cheap at the same time.  There are some things you need to remember though.  Because of their thickness, some saws won’t be able to cut them.  A 12″ miter saw should do the trick perfectly.

Table Base Wood

I was so excited to finally get to bust open my Kreg HD Jig!
I’ve actually had it staring at me in a box for months because I was too intimidated to open it up.  I avoid learning new things, and then once I see how easy they are, I want to hit myself for not doing them sooner.

So, basically the Kreg HD Jig is a larger version of the Kreg Jig.  It’s perfect for working with big projects like this one, since you won’t be able to fit these 4×4’s into the Kreg Jig.  Here is what it looks like and how I clamped it on to my boards.

Kreg HD Jig

Kreg Jig HD

I used my Ryobi 18V drill to make the pocket holes.  These pocket holes are bigger and thicker than the ones made with the regular Kreg Jig.

I took lots of photos of where I put my pocket holes on the base because sometimes figuring out the best places to put them is the biggest battle.  You have lots of options, but here is where I decided to put mine…

I also used Gorilla Wood Glue between all of my joints!

gorilla_wood_glue

Kreg Jig Dining Table

This is a shot of the top of the base turned upside down on the ground.  I put the pocket holes where they would stay very hidden.

Pocket Holes on Table BaseAnd this is the bottom of the base…

Wood Dining Table How to

That is a shot of the 2×4 runners that will go just beneath the table top.

Now for the diagonal pieces… Sometimes these can be a booger to clamp.  In fact, I spent a good 10 minutes trying to hold one in place and then I finally had a light bulb moment and pulled out my Gorilla Tape.  That stuff worked like a charm!  I know it’s not the most beautiful clamping job, but hey… It held those pieces perfectly and cost a whole lot less than all of my clamps.  We will call this part Shanty Clamping 😉

Clamp Wood with Gorilla Tape

On this part, I just used 3″ wood screws through the diagonal pieces and into the straight pieces.  You can see where my screws are in these pics…

Table Base DIY

I used 4″ screws on this part and went through the bottom runner and into the diagonal part.

Don’t clamp.  Use the tape.  Trust me.

How to build a Dining Table

And finally the table top.  Oh the darn table top.  This is actually a breeze to put together with a Kreg Jig IF you can find nice boards.  I seriously made 4 trips to different hardware stores to find boards straight enough to work with.  I actually ended up settling on 10 footers just to get good boards that would work.  Oh well!

You can see how I put pocket holes up and down the boards to connect them.  I clearly didn’t measure at all on this part… Just used the old eyeball method!

Pocket Holes for Table Top

Because my wood was acting up a bit, you can see where I used multiple pocket holes on the breadboard… I won.  It’s not going anywhere now.

Table Top Kreg Jig

I attached the base of the table to the top by using 2 1/2″ wood screws through the 2×4 runners.  I also used a few 4″ screws through the 4×4 base just for added strength.

And now for the finish!  Woohoo!

I decided to match the finish of the table to the Restoration Hardware sideboard and hutch I made for my dining room HERE.

I used Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut!  You can find it at Lowe’s, but do know that the packaging has changed a bit.

Rust-Oleum-Dark-Walnut

This stuff is so great!  It only requires 1 coat and it dries in under an hour.  I have used many stains, and this brand is BY FAR my very favorite!

Once it dried, I put 2 coats of Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane in Satin on it to protect the finish.  This goes on white and dries clear.  It doesn’t stink and it dries fast!

Rustoleum_Polyurethane

That’s it for the finish!

I am in the middle of making the cutest benches to match this table.  I LOVE a dining table with benches for my family.  The kids can’t ruin them, and they are rustic and beautiful at the same time.  I knew I wanted to dress the table up a bit with some end chairs, so I went to my very favorite store to find those!

homegoods-logo2

HomeGoods Dining Chairs

I love them!  Ironically, they match my window panels I made perfectly.  It was a match made in dining room heaven… Or Homegoods!  Aren’t they perfect??

And here are a few more shots!

DIY Dining Table

Dining Table Wood

Pottery Barn Dining Table

Dining Table DIY

I hope you love it as much as I do!!

I would LOVE for you to share this and PIN it with your peeps below!

Thank you so much for stopping by, and let me know if you have any questions at all.  Thanks again 🙂

1. Jimmy Dean on September 30, 2017 at 10:42 am

I’m using 10 footers for each end. Those are 120″ long and only 114″ is required. That leaves me with 6 inches to play with. Story of my life.

2. Kat on February 11, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Ana! I’ve had this table pinned forever. You have an awesome, beautiful table design. What I’d like to know is the table measurement and how many you’d recommed it seats. I’d like a table that can seat 10. I’d love a reply whenever you can find some time, thanks Kathy

3. Rhonda Williamson on April 30, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I love this table and would like to try it as my first “major” build. I live in the Dallas area and was wondering how the table has held up for you? I was concerned reading through the comments about if it would hold up well secondary to humidity, etc. Also what size pocket holes and pocket screws did you use? Love your site! Thanks!

4. Scott Gilbert on April 19, 2016 at 3:23 am

I’m trying to make this for our kitchen table but need it to be 5 feet long. Any help with what measurements and/or angles need to change in order to accomplish this? Thanks!

5. Stacie Boyle on April 15, 2016 at 2:43 pm

So quick question, if I use a tongue and groove joint for the breadboards and also use the pocket hole joints for the other parts of the table would that allow my table to last a little longer?

6. Amy Nicole White on February 16, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Can anyone tell me exactly how I would make this into a 6 foot table?

7. txcajn on December 8, 2015 at 9:55 am

So, my question is… has it held up? I’m in Texas and the humidity levels in south Texas are ridiculous, I know it will affect the wood ultimately.

8. Chris Carden on November 25, 2015 at 1:16 pm

is the top of the table durable enough to be used as dining and possibly to write on?

9. Ten2ndRule on October 28, 2015 at 6:02 am

I put a 10 degree angle on my top 4×4 and left off the angle 4x4s, but other than that it’s the same.

10. Delaine on September 23, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I am almost finished with my table… now i need to sand and stain. Before i start that process i was curious if you could help me with one thing. I have 4 little kiddos and lets be frank, they are gross!!! LOL! I dont want crumbs, food, milk etc getting stuck in the table top crevasses …. any suggestions of a filler that would still look nice ?

11. Sally Bender on June 1, 2015 at 1:46 pm

at what angle or degree did you cut your table legs and your bench legs?

12. Steve Jones on May 31, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Love the Table, i’m building it for a friend, but she wants it 45 wide and 12 feet long, if i widden the base and extend it to 9.5 to 10 ft between the to legs do you think it will be sturdy enough. also i’m not going to do a breadboard end, i’m just going to use 45’s on the outside boards. what do you think

13. Dubaree on May 30, 2015 at 8:30 am

This goes out to all of the critics !! I’m not quite sure why anyone would get on here and talk trash about Shanty2chic pocket hole techniques . I have built plenty of stuff using this method and its solid as a rock.. If you are so great at doing woodwork ‘CRITICS’ ,spend hours on in making you a blog to help everyone out!! Shanty you guys do a great job and do not let someone convince you otherwise.. My advice to anyone hating, build before you knock it. Much Love!!!

14. Matt Hardin on April 23, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Did you apply any wood conditioner prior to staining?

15. Caitlin on March 25, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Hi! So I am in search for a new table because I painted mine and sealed the top with polyurethane and am not happy with it. It is just funky, even though I followed all the steps. Food get’s stuck to it so easily and it’s just not what I had imagined with little kids. So, here’s my question, have you found this table and chairs easy to clean? Or will I just have the same problem with mine now? Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on March 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Caitlin, what brand poly did you use? Our tables are very smooth after we poly and we wipe with winded and a cloth to clean…

16. Morgan on February 27, 2015 at 3:55 pm

What’s the size of the table top?

17. Frank Alberta on February 16, 2015 at 9:20 am

Love the table. Its just what I was looking for. I plan on making a concrete top for it though and making it a little longer. Any suggestions on going longer or adding an additional support in the middle?

18. Randy Lifferth on January 5, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I want to do this project, but I am wondering what type of wood did you use. I have been looking at hardwood and it is no where near your $100 price range.

• Jen on March 14, 2015 at 10:21 pm

she used pine…awful but very economical choice. In walnut, cherry or soft maple, this would run anywhere from $250 to $400 in our area, depending on the week I check prices

• Adam on September 29, 2015 at 2:27 pm

The whole idea of the blog is to be frugal. If you have any wood to pick from pine is obviously not your first choice, but you don’t need to be so derisive in your comments. Enjoy the blog for what it is.

• Jen on September 29, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I guess I didn’t feel like I was being derisive. I’ve never dissed the author, big fan of their work. I didn’t say the author was awful, I said PINE is awful. The poster didn’t see how she could get away with $100 budget, I let her know about a better choice and what it would cost. Lighten up 🙂

• NonaMuss on May 21, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Jen, appreciate the knowledge you have shared here. Went through the entire thread to view all of your comments. Tried clicking on your profile so I could follow your comments but it is private. Anyway you could share? Thanks.

• Jen on May 22, 2016 at 7:34 am

I maintain a private profile, but I mostly comment on scientific articles, for woodworking talk, find me on LumberJocks (screen name is Jenine)

19. Jessica on December 29, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Hello, did you make a specific bench to go with this table? Is there a link you could provide? It looks beautiful!

20. Matt on November 24, 2014 at 3:11 pm

What grit of sandpaper did you use to remove the stamp from the lumber company? I ran over it with 60 and it only faded it a bit. Any thoughts?

21. J Fairbaugh on November 16, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Hey! I’m curious about your Kreg Jig-ing. I have the smaller R3 Kreg Jig, up to 1 1/2 inches. I’m sure that will work for the table top, but any thoughts about the frame? I don’t have access to a Kreg HD…

22. Christy on November 9, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Hello. We are planning on building this table and we are having a hard time locating the wood that is needed for the table. We have been to a few lumber yards and they both said this lumber is very difficult to come by. Is this true? If so is there other wood that you would suggest? Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on November 9, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’m sorry about that. We are in Texas and have learned this is true based on location. I would stack 2×4 in place of 4×4. It will give you the chunky look. Just attach them together her with wood screws and glue. Hope this helps!

• Michael Fallon on November 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

I live in NJ, and could only find untreated 2×4 and 4×4 in Douglas Fir. I was able to find a place to custom mill the pine into 2×4, and they glued it to make 4×4. It tripled the cost of wood for me, but it was worth it. You could glue 1x4s together if you are careful.

• Shanty2Chic on November 10, 2014 at 10:36 am

2×4 here runs about $3.50 for an 8 ft board. 4×4 runs $13 for an 8 ft board so depending on location you could save money using 2×4.

• The Rugged Rooster on January 8, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Wow, wood is so cheap there! In Canada we pay 23.00 + 12% tax for one 4×4 8′ ft Length.

23. Liberty with Vengeance on October 28, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Is the 25 3/8″ dimension for the leg correct? Comparing the picture of the completed project and the picture of the cut legs, it seems the finished legs are quite a bit longer. I ask because I am doing this project now. Lined the legs up with a 4×4 and 2×4 on top. Seems like a really short table.

24. Emily on October 3, 2014 at 11:33 am

Hi, I would really like to build this table but I live in a rural town in the northeast about 3 hours from a HD or lowes. My local lumber yards carry all the wood in Douglas fur – do you think this would work? I know some people used fur for the 4×4’s but what about for the table top? Any ideas?

25. Greg Goodall on September 23, 2014 at 9:36 am

I made an “art studio” version of this table for my wife. 30″ tall by 30″ deep by 60″ wide. All supplies where available at Lowes in Palm Bay Florida. We used Minwax Weathered Oak stain. Other than buying a Kreg R3 Junior for about $40, the material costs where about $120.

26. Carrie on August 17, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Hi, I was wondering what kind of poly you used? In your description you said you used Satin but in the picture of the poly it says matte. I love the table, my husband and I just built one and I am getting ready to go buy the stain and finish! Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on August 17, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Hi Carrie,
      I’m sorry for the mistake! I used matte 🙂

27. Matt on August 5, 2014 at 1:12 pm

For those of you thinking of copying this table, DON’T DO IT. As an
    experienced woodworker I can say 100% that whomever build this has no
    idea what they are doing. Literally everything done here is wrong.
    This table may look good now, but it will most definitely not last. You
    can copy the looks, but not the construction methods used here.

– Pocket screws and butt joints are not appropriate joinery for a table
    of this size. They are way too weak. Glue on endgrain is absolutely
    useless and adds no structural value. The table will fall apart
    eventually. Mortise and tenon joinery is what should have been used
    instead. It’s not difficult but it will take a lot more time than
    pocket screws.
    – Wood moves with seasonal changes in humidity, on a
    flat sawn board that’s mostly across the width. You have to allow for
    it otherwise you will have issues. With the breadboard ends you have a
    cross-grain situation, the top will move, the bread boards will not. By
    screwing the beardboards on like what was done you’d constricted the
    wood from moving which will result in cracking/warping etc. Breadboards
    exist to prevent the top from warping. The proper way to add them is
    tongue and groove, with glue in a few inches in the middle and elongated
    screw holes/screws the rest of the way.
    – Pine is one of the the
    worst woods out there for finishing. It you just build this and slap
    some stain on it it will look terrible as it absorbs stain unevenly and
    blotches. You can’t sand that out, it’s in the wood. Two coats of poly
    is not enough. There are several better options for coloring and
    finishing pine, do your homework first.

• Shanty2Chic on August 13, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for your expertise Matt! We have been building furniture for years now and can tell you that they do hold up very well. But, you are also entitled to your opinion and you are free to build as you choose 🙂 We will continue to build the way we do, save money, time and have pretty furniture to show for it 🙂 Have a great day!

• Scott on October 16, 2014 at 9:12 am

Not to dredge up old comments, but Matt is right here. I have a table that my grandfather made using some of these techniques, and where they were used the table is falling apart. Of course, the table is also about 40 years old! Realistically, you’ll probably see this falling apart in 10-20 years, but for $100 that’s still pretty good!

• dfb on January 16, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Thanks for sharing your project details. Now that it’s been a year, how is your table faring? Did Matt ‘s prediction already come true or is your table still doing well? I’m considering my options.

• Jim on March 8, 2015 at 9:26 am

Mine cracked after 3 months.

• Jamie on November 24, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Sweet. Can you teach us how to do it better? This blog IS us doing our homework. What should we do differently while not breaking the budget?

• Joe on January 2, 2015 at 7:02 am

I built this table in June/July 2014. As stated by Matt, my wood has moved (I used Douglass Fir). The breadboards, which were even with the width of the table, now protrude out on both sides. Its as if the length of the breadboard increased while the table width remained the same. How can I fix this? I’m afraid if I cut it off, the wood will shrink back and then have a smaller width than the table on the breadboards.

• Jim on March 8, 2015 at 9:30 am

I have the same issue, as well as one of the long boards splitting along the whole length. Would love to do this a better way because we love the look of the breadboard ends.

• Jen on March 14, 2015 at 10:16 pm

bummer, yeah, she really needs to let people know about this problem in the plans. The more humidity in your area, the bigger the problem will be. You can reduce the expansion and contraction of the wood by finishing both sides of the top VERY well, but it won’t solve the problem. The best way to do it is to use a tongue and groove joint for the breadboards.

• Jen on March 14, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Joe, the breadboards didn’t get longer, the main table top is contracting. Wood always expands and contracts across the grain (so, width wise). Right now, it has contracted (because it is winter). The main table top will start to expand as soon as the weather warms up and the humidity rises. At that point, it may expand so much, it will rip apart because it is not allowed to move past the point where it is “locked” into the breadboard.

Did you finish both sides with several coats of polyurethane? Finishing both sides will help reduce movement by as much as possible, because it will reduce the amount of moisture the wood is taking in and releasing… but it won’t solve the problem permanently. To do that, you will need to unscrew the breadboards, remove them, cut a tongue and groove and reinstall them correctly.

You know the time has come to remove the breadboards when you see the main table top is even slightly wider than the breadboards. I mean, even 1/16″ of an inch beyond them is a big red flag that they are pulling HARD and they will keep going until something gives (either a board cracks or a joint opens up).

• Joe on March 15, 2015 at 8:07 am

Jen, thank you so much for the reply. I will make the tongue and groove joint between the breadboard and main table. How long do you recommend the tongue be? 1 inch?

Also, do I need to fix the joints between the four planks making up the table top as well? Or can I leave them joined with pocket screws? I’m assuming I can leave them since as you said, the wood contracts and expands across the grain.

• Jen on March 16, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Hm, I left you a long reply yesterday but it isn’t showing up yet, hopefully soon!

• Frank Alberta on February 16, 2015 at 10:03 am

I want to use this frame for a concrete table top I am making and I was nervous about the screw and glue construction. I love the look. Any suggestions on a jig to cut the mortise and tenon joints for a first time table maker?

• Jen on March 14, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Do you own a router, Frank? I used a router to cut many mortise and tenon joints before finally purchasing a mortising machine. Happy to walk you through the process if you like.

• Ryan on July 4, 2016 at 9:05 am

Hi Jen,
          I’m building this table and want to make sure I’m doing all of the joinery the right way. I have a router and want to cut mortise and tenon joints – could you go through the process? I’ve done a good bit of research, but some advice as it pertains to this specific project would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

• Jen on March 14, 2015 at 10:03 pm

I also agree with Matt…I was just looking at this (absolutely GORGEOUS) table and as I glanced through the photos, I was cringing at most (ok, all) of the construction methods. However (and, this is a BIG however), this blog isn’t written for those with fine woodworking skills. If the author needed to go from store to store to buy straight lumber instead of milling her own using a jointer and planer, then she probably isn’t a contributing member at FWW. So, I would say she is doing just fine for her followers 🙂

A through mortise and tenon for the trestle would be worlds better than two kreg screws, sure! That said, your average DIYer doesn’t know what a through mortise and tenon is, let alone how to cut one (I have been woodworking for many, many years, and mine still need work!).

All that said, there are a few tips that those building this table can follow to at least help them along, without asking them to become professional woodworkers to get there.

To everyone who wants to know if she used treated lumber – DO NOT USE TREATED LUMBER, the author didn’t and neither should you! Treated lumber is for OUTSIDE only, and should only be used for projects your skin and food won’t be touching. It stands up well to the elements, but it is 100% toxic!

A breadboard end that is SCREWED on (someone fix the hole in my heart) will absolutely fail for the reasons other people stated. You would be better off not doing the breadboards so the top can expand and contract. This will lead to many fewer cracks in your table top…or worse…straight up broken joints with screws showing.

If you love the look of breadboards (who doesn’t!?) research methods for joining them in a way that won’t cause the top of the table to crack. You can cut a tongue and groove joint with a router and edge guide…or you can just make the breadboards aesthetic by attaching them with dowels. They won’t do what they are designed to do like that, but neither will these, so it’s a wash and at least you won’t be actively causing problems.

Tape is not a clamp. Not ever. You are not getting enough clamping force with them. Not. Even. Close. Lots of good ideas on the internet for clamping crazy angles though 🙂

Try to avoid using wood with a cathedral grain pattern (her second from the right in the photo that has the “wood acting up” caption). Cathedral grain = the board is going to cup like CRAZY (google “wood grain board stability” and “cathedral grain face grain cupping”). So, that coupled with poor joinery = joint/board failure for sure.

Pine does accept stain poorly…use a pre-stain conditioner first to help eliminate that problem as best as you can.

28. Peter Dallman on May 23, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I’m going to be building two of these tables and benches in the next couple weeks, my question is about the wood. I live in the Pacific Northwest and can access all the wood at pretty inexpensive prices. But the $100-150 price tag has me scratching my head a bit. I can get all the lumber at that price, with the exception of the 4×4 IF they need to be kiln dried. Kiln dried 4×4 are going for over $3.00 a liniar foot.
    So..Round about question. Is everyone who builds these using green lumber? My concern about that is that when it dries it could twist and crack.
    All the other lumber is readily available kiln dried and inexpensive…Except for the 4×4’s.

• Jen on March 14, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Do NOT use green wood!!!! You NEED kiln dried! For the reasons you stated 🙂 It will check, crack, warp, twist and go all kinds of crazy on you!

29. Ashley on May 1, 2014 at 8:03 am

Quick question – did you use Rustoleum Ultimate polyurethane in SATIN or MATTE? You said you used satin but the picture you show is matte. Just want to make sure I get it right as we are finishing up this weekend! Thanks!!

30. Corey on April 14, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I just built this and stained the table using the exact same stain.. however, I think I left the stain on far too long and now my table looks horrible. Is there any way to remedy the mistake? Can i completely re-sand the project and start over or will the stain penetrate the wood too far to sand? Thanks!

• Jen on March 14, 2015 at 10:18 pm

you can sand and start over! use a pre-stain conditioner before staining pine…you might not have done anything wrong. pine takes stain horribly, can turn out very blotchy!

31. RL on March 7, 2014 at 7:35 am

Awesome job on the table! Can’t wait to build one! one thing I find works for clamping odd angles, is to use a few scrap wood blocks and hot glue them to the pieces I need to clamp, and then put the clamps on the blocks or next to them. Once done the blocks can be knocked off with a hammer and the glue scraped off with a chisel. Also, you can clamp using a rope and the blocks. Wrap the rope around the boards and then twist the rope with a strong dowel, etc.

32. Liz Jones on March 1, 2014 at 8:49 am

Hello!

I love this table! I will be attempting to make it soon. It’s so cute! On another note, I LOVE the paint color in this room. Would you mind sharing what it is? 🙂

33. Francoise on February 24, 2014 at 11:17 am

Would be an awesome desk for my new office. You did an amazing job. Any chance you post a list of materials? That would be awesome. Thanks so much.

34. Molly Maple on January 2, 2014 at 4:41 pm

We just made the table, but the hub decided to widen and slightly lengthen the plans. We couldn’t find 4x4s down here in SC out of pine, but Berlin G Myers (for anyone in the Charleston area) had other (more expensive) wood. We chose poplar, which is very porous and so I treated it twice with wood conditioner before staining. It looks phenomenal! Thank you so much for posting this – we love our new table!!!

• tony on January 17, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I like the size of your table. Whats the size?

• Shanty2Chic on August 13, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I just saw this Molly!! LOVE!!!

• Jeremy Savoy on September 7, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Wow this is beautiful!! Just curious — did you have the wood milled, it looks very precise which usually means custom milled by yourself or a mill, versus buying dimensional lumber from a big box store. Second — I’ve made some furniture using poplar but always have to either just clear coat it (after a shellac-ing), or paint it — I’ve tried 9 ways to Sunday to stain poplar from Lowes and it just doesn’t take the stain. Tried conditioners, gels, etc but it just looks splotchy. I’m wondering what your exact process was here, and wondering how your table is holding up 3 years in.

35. Ardi Bradlee on December 9, 2013 at 2:12 am

Simply adorable. I wonder if I made it myself. Choosing a best quality material is essential and you would make it more innovative by adding your own creative ideas. Thanks Shanty 2 chic. Just a lovable post.

36. Christina Newkirk on November 12, 2013 at 11:45 am

this table is beautiful! and i am sying to make it. like, this weekend. lol BUT i need to know what type of wood you used?! treated, untreated?? pine, cedar? we have looked all over for untreated and no one has it! 🙁 is this something we MUST use?? please reply! im making this so we can have a thanksgiving dinner at our new home. 🙂

• Stephen Carpi on March 28, 2016 at 8:22 am

Hi Christina, never use treated wood for projects that will come into contact with food. In fact, I don’t use treated wood for anything that will remain indoors. Though they stopped using arsenic years ago, there are still harsh chemicals that they pressure treat the wood with that you wouldn’t want to be breathing in on a daily basis. Leave the treated wood for decks and patios.

A table of this size should be made of something semi-hard. You don’t have to go all the way to oak, but pine would certainly be the softest I would use. Ash, cedar, etc. may be a bit too soft to bear the day to day abuse a table like this would get.

• Bill Hardin on December 6, 2017 at 9:19 pm

depending on where you live, its hard to find untreated pine, and pine will warp for you, cedar is a good choice, it will be darker than the pine table top. douglass fur, it more than cedar, it will stain up the same color as your pine table top, ideal is western cedar, good look, look up jamison rogue engineer, he made a kitchen table out of western cedar. if you live near a place that cells cypress is a pretty look. i live in knoxville tenn, i am boing to go with douglass fur, my 4×4 will cost me 50.00 each, but it will look good. hope this will help you.

37. Alysse Ragle on November 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Cannot find 4X4 in untreated pine. I finally have my husband’s help making this, and no Home Depot or Lowes has them! :((((( I am in Dallas, TX

• Guest on November 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Maybe she used the untreated Cedar 4×4’s from Lowes or Home Depot. You can tell in the pictures the 4x4s compared to the pine 2x’s look red and all her table top pictures look yellow pine where all her table leg pictures look red like the untreated cedar 4x4s you would get at Lowes or Home Depot. You have to go to a specialty lumber shop to get untreated pine 4x4s. No big box shop carries untreated pine 4x4s because 4×4 are usually used for exterior projects. However, her pictures with the finished stained dark walnut seem to cover up and blend the pine with the cedar quite well. Here in St. Louis the Lowes and HomeDepot don’t carry the untreated pine 4x4s either. We just got a Menards though I might check with them.

• Julia Goss on March 18, 2014 at 8:34 pm

The Home Depot here in McKinney north of Dallas had the 4×4’s in Douglas Fir. It is soft like the pine and they look good together. I am about half way finished with the table I will start on the top tomorrow. Would like to know about the screws in the table top. I have both Kreg Jigs, does anyone know if the holes are Regular or HD?

• Chris Carden on November 25, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Hey how did the table come out? Could you email me? I have a few questions. cbc1128@gmail.com Thanks!

• seth.erwin on March 10, 2014 at 5:03 pm

The HD in Grand Prairie off of carrier has the untreated 4×4 in both pine and cedar. i was just there this past weekend

• Shawn Sanseverino on March 10, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Well after calling about 20 different lumberyards in the DFW I finally found 4 x 4 x 8 untreated pine!!! The business is called “Mid South lumber” 2506 W E Roberts Dr
      Grand Prairie, TX 75051-1038

38. Vonda Witherspoon on October 31, 2013 at 12:45 pm

My husband and I built a 5 foot version of this table for our beach cottage. Our dining space has wooden vaulted ceilings and exposed beams. This table’s design suits the space well, and is large enough to meet our needs. Thanks for the plans and construction advice. We had no problems converting them to the size we needed and enjoyed using the Kreg HD jig.

• Trish on April 9, 2014 at 11:32 am

Do you have the measurements and plans for your 5 footer?! Thats more the size i’m looking for, i’m a little building (Special) so any help is appreciated!

39. mark on October 23, 2013 at 8:03 am

Hi, when building the table top are you using the Kreg HD to make the pocket holes or do you need the smaller Kreg jig? Also, are using regular 2 1/2 inch wood screws not the HD screws, correct? Thanks!

• derek on October 23, 2014 at 4:14 pm

What did you end up doing? I just bought the HD.

• Fawn Stender on April 8, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I really like the kreg5….Id defiantly use this for the table top!

40. Jennifer Leible on October 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for talking about your new HD Kreg Jig! I have the regular KJ and now I think I need this one too! Beautiful table!!

41. Kelly Nugen on September 28, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I love love love this beautiful table! I have to know where you found the white ceramic pitchers, though!! *I don’t have any questions about the table because you already answered all of them. 🙂 This table is going on my list of projects for sure! Thank you!!

42. MikieSmith on September 25, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I really love the table ….. Looking forward to making one for our new house. I also like your chandelier, would you share with me where you got it?

43. Vanessa Juarez on September 24, 2013 at 2:03 am

I absolutely love this gonna try to make this. How long did it take to make?

44. Angie on September 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm

What kind of wood did you use?

45. Jessica Christian on September 17, 2013 at 3:02 am

Stunning transformation it is ! Love the DIY dining table that you have done. It is the kind of table where I would love to host a lunch or coffee with my family :* … This DIY is on the top of my list now. Thanks for sharing it up here <3

Love & hugs
    Jessica x

46. Deidre Reinhart on September 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm

WOW…AWESOME table!!!! Amazing job!

47. Kristy Bateson on September 15, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Do you have any suggestions about using this as an outdoor table. I would use pressure treated wood. My concern is how to attach the table top pieces with a small space between each 2 x 10.(I would increase the length of the breadboard to account for the small gaps.) That takes out the options of using the Kreg, but I also do not want to have exposed screws on the top to attach it to the base. Anyone have ideas for me?

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:28 am

Your 4×4 runners under the table do run the width of the table, but there is nothing to keep the center down and keep it from bowing. YOu can do 4 1/2″ screws from below on the 4×4’s, but I think you will want to add additional pieces in the center to keep the wood from bowing up on you. Hope this helps!

• Justin on June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am

Can I use the K4 for this project?

48. Anna Orman Botz on September 15, 2013 at 11:29 am

Love this! Just what we’re looking for with our family of 6. Any ideas on what bench plans would go with it?

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:29 am

I’m working on them now, and should have the plans up next week!

• Jenna Kalleberg on March 9, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Can you post a link here, if you have them? Thx!

49. Marion on September 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Where did you find your 4×4 boards? The only ones we have here are treated. I’ve also built a ton of furniture for our home, but always end up laminating 2 2/4’s together for chunky legs. Did you order them?

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:29 am

All of my Lowe’s and HD’s carry them in untreated pine. Not sure about your location though! Sorry!

50. Lauren Brooke Conlin on September 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Question! For the poly finish, how do you both apply (on larger projects like this of course)? I am SO afraid for this part of the table we built because I don’t want to mess it up. The table is so big, I don’t want to get half of it done and then it dry and look terrible. Any suggestions? Good thing I called Dad because I was about to put it in the spray gun and call it a wonderful day!

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm

In my experience spraying it on will get you the best finish and will be by far faster. However, I’ve brushed on poly a ton of times on table tops. As long as it isn’t super hot in your space you should have plenty of time to finish the table before it dries. Just don’t go back over where you started once you get to the end.

PS if you choose to spray it makes a mess so be prepared.

• Marion on September 13, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I always brush it on and it’s great – very smooth. Go in thin layers, no bubbles or drips, and lightly hand sand with fine grit sandpaper in between in coat but not after the last coat. I usually do 2-3 coats on a table for extra durability, but you can do more or less depending on the look and shine you want. Don’t be scared! It will be beautiful! 🙂

51. astrollthrulife on September 13, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Love it, how pretty and such a great tutorial too. Hugs, Marty

52. Alissa T. on September 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Love the look, it’s gorgeous. We have 5 kiddos aged 11 and down also… I’m wondering, what do you do with the crumbs that inevitably end up in the cracks between the wood on the table top? We built your outdoor table and benches for our covered deck (loving It, by the way!), but I’m finding it difficult to keep the cracks between the boards clean. Do you caulk before applying the poly? Or just run a toothpick every week or so 🙂

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

If you have or have access to a table saw it would be easy to cut of the rounded sides of the top planks then glue, screw, and clamp and sand the top, preferably with a belt sander. You could even have them make the cuts at Lowes or wherever you buy the wood.

I suppose you could also use stainable wood filler but that would be pretty tedious.

Good Luck!!

• Giggling Gerty on September 15, 2013 at 7:10 am

Was thinking exactly the same thing. How do u stop or clean the crumbs.

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:31 am

I like to use the suction tube of my vacuum… Works like a charm 🙂

53. Jeff Wright on September 13, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Very nice. I built a modified version of the original farmhouse table, but have been considering changing the base to something similar to this. I didn’t use wood glue between the base and the top for that very reason; easy to change out! My table is currently stained Early American, but thinking I may do an old world/chippy look on the new base.

As always, great work.

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:32 am

Thank you Jeff! I would love to see yours when you get it done! Sounds beautiful 🙂

54. Linda Crandall on September 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for sharing

55. Kristie on September 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Always look forward to your posts in my email. Your home is beautiful. I have a random question. What type of flooring am I always seeing in these gorgeous shots? Thanks

• JennKay on September 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Stained concrete! I’m very jealous of your floors. VERY.

• Kristie on September 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm

OK, thanks! Got any ideas or information on the ability or expense to put down this kind of flooring after tearing out carpeting?

• JennKay on September 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

My husband and I contemplated trying to do it ourselves, but it’s pretty complicated unless you have clean/new/chip-free concrete. We had glue and chunks missing from the carpet tack strips when we removed the carpet. Didn’t even try to tackle. I’ve read it’s about $4/ft professional, but never got an estimate. One day maybe. And in my next house.

• Kristie on September 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Well, Shucks! We’re here to stay, so I guess that option might be out! Thanks, JennKay!

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:35 am

I agree… It was easier for us because we had the subs cover the floor and protect it when we built the house. Most concrete in existing homes will be covered with all kinds of goodness, some stains they won’t be able to remove. If it makes you feel any better, I am currently looking at new flooring to cover mine because these have been such a booger to keep clean. I feel like they are always dirty! Hope this helps!

56. Katie on September 13, 2013 at 11:49 am

I LOVE this table! This is exactly what I want my husband to build. The problem we’ve come across is that we can’t find untreated 4x4s….where did you get yours?

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 12:16 pm

You can find them at Lowes, Homedepot, sutherlands, pretty much every box store that sells wood. IF they sell treated 4×4’s they will almost always sell untreated. Sometimes they are douglas fir instead of pine though. But fir seems to stain better then pine anyway.

• Jeff Wright on September 13, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Lowes and HD neither one sell untreated 4x4s in my area. I have heard of one local lumber supply that does, but haven’t went by and checked yet.

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

what area do you live in?

• Jeff Wright on September 13, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Central NC. At one time, both website’s showed that they carried them in store here, but when I went by, both told me that haven’t carried them in a while and actually recommended that other lumber supply.

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

That’s crazy a 4×4 post is a pretty standard piece of wood. Thats like them saying they no longer carry 2×4’s or screws.

• Jeff Wright on September 13, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Agreed. They always have tons of treated 4x’s. Just no untreated.

• Marion on September 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm

We don’t have them where I live in the lowcountry of SC either. I had that question, too. Maybe it’s the region we’re in. But, whenever I need a 4×4, I just have to laminate 2-2×4’s together. It still looks very good, but I’d love to have that single piece of 4×4.

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:37 am

I’ve done that before on a previous table, but I do like the look of a solid piece of wood. That’s a bummer that your stores don’t carry them!

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:36 am

Agreed! Here in Texas they stock them like all of the other lumber. I can always find them, and ours are always very straight too.

• Alysse Ragle on November 2, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I am in TX and they only have treated pine, or cedar. That’s it!

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:37 am

That’s a bummer… I have had a few people mention that they can’t get them. Like Nathan said, our stores always carry them. Bummer!