DIY Restoration Hardware Dining Table!

Oh HEY guys!  For those of you that follow us on Instagram, you have seen the progress of this baby I am sharing today.  I am in LOVE… With a table.  Not ashamed.

I loved my old dining set, but have always wanted to build one myself for my fam.  With 5 kiddos under the age of 11, we live a casual lifestyle, and I avoid cushions if at all possible.  Casual doesn’t have to be simple and boring though!  So, I enlisted the help of my sweet, furniture planning guru, Miss Ana White to help me come up with this BEAUTIFUL and beefy DIY farmhouse dining table…

DIY Dining Table

Dining Table DIY

Isn’t is the bomb??  Too legit to quit!  Restoration Hardware wants $3000 for it… I made it for $100 in wood.

I am going to share lots of tips and tricks on building this right here, and you can see the full set of free plans for the table on Ana’s site!

Let’s get started!

I knew I wanted this table to be big and beefy, so I was immediately drawn to using 4×4’s for the base.  These are beautiful and cheap at the same time.  There are some things you need to remember though.  Because of their thickness, some saws won’t be able to cut them.  A 12″ miter saw should do the trick perfectly.

Table Base Wood

I was so excited to finally get to bust open my Kreg HD Jig!
I’ve actually had it staring at me in a box for months because I was too intimidated to open it up.  I avoid learning new things, and then once I see how easy they are, I want to hit myself for not doing them sooner.

So, basically the Kreg HD Jig is a larger version of the Kreg Jig.  It’s perfect for working with big projects like this one, since you won’t be able to fit these 4×4’s into the Kreg Jig.  Here is what it looks like and how I clamped it on to my boards.

Kreg HD Jig

Kreg Jig HD

I used my Ryobi 18V drill to make the pocket holes.  These pocket holes are bigger and thicker than the ones made with the regular Kreg Jig.

I took lots of photos of where I put my pocket holes on the base because sometimes figuring out the best places to put them is the biggest battle.  You have lots of options, but here is where I decided to put mine…

I also used Gorilla Wood Glue between all of my joints!

gorilla_wood_glue

Kreg Jig Dining Table

This is a shot of the top of the base turned upside down on the ground.  I put the pocket holes where they would stay very hidden.

Pocket Holes on Table BaseAnd this is the bottom of the base…

Wood Dining Table How to

That is a shot of the 2×4 runners that will go just beneath the table top.

Now for the diagonal pieces… Sometimes these can be a booger to clamp.  In fact, I spent a good 10 minutes trying to hold one in place and then I finally had a light bulb moment and pulled out my Gorilla Tape.  That stuff worked like a charm!  I know it’s not the most beautiful clamping job, but hey… It held those pieces perfectly and cost a whole lot less than all of my clamps.  We will call this part Shanty Clamping 😉

Clamp Wood with Gorilla Tape

On this part, I just used 3″ wood screws through the diagonal pieces and into the straight pieces.  You can see where my screws are in these pics…

Table Base DIY

I used 4″ screws on this part and went through the bottom runner and into the diagonal part.

Don’t clamp.  Use the tape.  Trust me.

How to build a Dining Table

And finally the table top.  Oh the darn table top.  This is actually a breeze to put together with a Kreg Jig IF you can find nice boards.  I seriously made 4 trips to different hardware stores to find boards straight enough to work with.  I actually ended up settling on 10 footers just to get good boards that would work.  Oh well!

You can see how I put pocket holes up and down the boards to connect them.  I clearly didn’t measure at all on this part… Just used the old eyeball method!

Pocket Holes for Table Top

Because my wood was acting up a bit, you can see where I used multiple pocket holes on the breadboard… I won.  It’s not going anywhere now.

Table Top Kreg Jig

I attached the base of the table to the top by using 2 1/2″ wood screws through the 2×4 runners.  I also used a few 4″ screws through the 4×4 base just for added strength.

And now for the finish!  Woohoo!

I decided to match the finish of the table to the Restoration Hardware sideboard and hutch I made for my dining room HERE.

I used Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut!  You can find it at Lowe’s, but do know that the packaging has changed a bit.

Rust-Oleum-Dark-Walnut

This stuff is so great!  It only requires 1 coat and it dries in under an hour.  I have used many stains, and this brand is BY FAR my very favorite!

Once it dried, I put 2 coats of Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane in Satin on it to protect the finish.  This goes on white and dries clear.  It doesn’t stink and it dries fast!

Rustoleum_Polyurethane

That’s it for the finish!

I am in the middle of making the cutest benches to match this table.  I LOVE a dining table with benches for my family.  The kids can’t ruin them, and they are rustic and beautiful at the same time.  I knew I wanted to dress the table up a bit with some end chairs, so I went to my very favorite store to find those!

homegoods-logo2

HomeGoods Dining Chairs

I love them!  Ironically, they match my window panels I made perfectly.  It was a match made in dining room heaven… Or Homegoods!  Aren’t they perfect??

And here are a few more shots!

DIY Dining Table

Dining Table Wood

Pottery Barn Dining Table

Dining Table DIY

I hope you love it as much as I do!!

I would LOVE for you to share this and PIN it with your peeps below!

Thank you so much for stopping by, and let me know if you have any questions at all.  Thanks again 🙂

1. Alysse Ragle on November 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Cannot find 4X4 in untreated pine. I finally have my husband’s help making this, and no Home Depot or Lowes has them! :((((( I am in Dallas, TX

• Guest on November 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Maybe she used the untreated Cedar 4×4’s from Lowes or Home Depot. You can tell in the pictures the 4x4s compared to the pine 2x’s look red and all her table top pictures look yellow pine where all her table leg pictures look red like the untreated cedar 4x4s you would get at Lowes or Home Depot. You have to go to a specialty lumber shop to get untreated pine 4x4s. No big box shop carries untreated pine 4x4s because 4×4 are usually used for exterior projects. However, her pictures with the finished stained dark walnut seem to cover up and blend the pine with the cedar quite well. Here in St. Louis the Lowes and HomeDepot don’t carry the untreated pine 4x4s either. We just got a Menards though I might check with them.

• Julia Goss on March 18, 2014 at 8:34 pm

The Home Depot here in McKinney north of Dallas had the 4×4’s in Douglas Fir. It is soft like the pine and they look good together. I am about half way finished with the table I will start on the top tomorrow. Would like to know about the screws in the table top. I have both Kreg Jigs, does anyone know if the holes are Regular or HD?

• Chris Carden on November 25, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Hey how did the table come out? Could you email me? I have a few questions. cbc1128@gmail.com Thanks!

• seth.erwin on March 10, 2014 at 5:03 pm

The HD in Grand Prairie off of carrier has the untreated 4×4 in both pine and cedar. i was just there this past weekend

• Shawn Sanseverino on March 10, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Well after calling about 20 different lumberyards in the DFW I finally found 4 x 4 x 8 untreated pine!!! The business is called “Mid South lumber” 2506 W E Roberts Dr
      Grand Prairie, TX 75051-1038

• ⁣✨🌟🌟✨🌟✨✨✨✨✨🌟✨
      ✨✨✨🌙🌟✨✨🌟🌟✨🌟✨
      ✨✨✨✨⁣✨🌟🌟✨✨🌟🌟✨
      __________💃🏃__________

✨✨ I built my own dining table using the plans at www. WoodworkPlans.info – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Want a better dining table design? Head over to www. WoodworkPlans.info – check it out for a better dining table DIY plan 🙂

2. Vonda Witherspoon on October 31, 2013 at 12:45 pm

My husband and I built a 5 foot version of this table for our beach cottage. Our dining space has wooden vaulted ceilings and exposed beams. This table’s design suits the space well, and is large enough to meet our needs. Thanks for the plans and construction advice. We had no problems converting them to the size we needed and enjoyed using the Kreg HD jig.

• Trish on April 9, 2014 at 11:32 am

Do you have the measurements and plans for your 5 footer?! Thats more the size i’m looking for, i’m a little building (Special) so any help is appreciated!

• 🔨🔨🔨🔨 I built my own using the plans at www. WoodworkPlans.info – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Head on over to www. WoodworkPlans.info if you want to learn more – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures! ✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌

⁣☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁
      ☁☁💗💗☁💗💗☁☁
      ☁💗💗💗💗💗💗💗☁
      ☁💗💗💗💗💗💗💗☁
      ☁💗💗💗💗💗💗💗☁⁣
      ☁☁💗💗💗💗💗☁☁
      ☁☁☁💗💗💗☁☁☁
      ☁☁☁☁💗☁☁☁☁
      ☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁

3. mark on October 23, 2013 at 8:03 am

Hi, when building the table top are you using the Kreg HD to make the pocket holes or do you need the smaller Kreg jig? Also, are using regular 2 1/2 inch wood screws not the HD screws, correct? Thanks!

• derek on October 23, 2014 at 4:14 pm

What did you end up doing? I just bought the HD.

• Fawn Stender on April 8, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I really like the kreg5….Id defiantly use this for the table top!

• www.WoodworkPlans.info on July 29, 2018 at 10:58 am

🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨
      🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨
      🔨🔨🔨
      I used the plans at www. WoodworkPlans.info for this project because they are much better – highly recommended you check those out too – it’s just a much better plan. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha
      🔨
      🔨🔨🔨
      🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨
      🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨

4. Jennifer Leible on October 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for talking about your new HD Kreg Jig! I have the regular KJ and now I think I need this one too! Beautiful table!!

5. Kelly Nugen on September 28, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I love love love this beautiful table! I have to know where you found the white ceramic pitchers, though!! *I don’t have any questions about the table because you already answered all of them. 🙂 This table is going on my list of projects for sure! Thank you!!

6. MikieSmith on September 25, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I really love the table ….. Looking forward to making one for our new house. I also like your chandelier, would you share with me where you got it?

7. Vanessa Juarez on September 24, 2013 at 2:03 am

I absolutely love this gonna try to make this. How long did it take to make?

8. Angie on September 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm

What kind of wood did you use?

9. Jessica Christian on September 17, 2013 at 3:02 am

Stunning transformation it is ! Love the DIY dining table that you have done. It is the kind of table where I would love to host a lunch or coffee with my family :* … This DIY is on the top of my list now. Thanks for sharing it up here <3

Love & hugs
    Jessica x

10. Deidre Reinhart on September 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm

WOW…AWESOME table!!!! Amazing job!

11. Kristy Bateson on September 15, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Do you have any suggestions about using this as an outdoor table. I would use pressure treated wood. My concern is how to attach the table top pieces with a small space between each 2 x 10.(I would increase the length of the breadboard to account for the small gaps.) That takes out the options of using the Kreg, but I also do not want to have exposed screws on the top to attach it to the base. Anyone have ideas for me?

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:28 am

Your 4×4 runners under the table do run the width of the table, but there is nothing to keep the center down and keep it from bowing. YOu can do 4 1/2″ screws from below on the 4×4’s, but I think you will want to add additional pieces in the center to keep the wood from bowing up on you. Hope this helps!

• Justin on June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am

Can I use the K4 for this project?

12. Anna Orman Botz on September 15, 2013 at 11:29 am

Love this! Just what we’re looking for with our family of 6. Any ideas on what bench plans would go with it?

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:29 am

I’m working on them now, and should have the plans up next week!

• Jenna Kalleberg on March 9, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Can you post a link here, if you have them? Thx!

13. Marion on September 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Where did you find your 4×4 boards? The only ones we have here are treated. I’ve also built a ton of furniture for our home, but always end up laminating 2 2/4’s together for chunky legs. Did you order them?

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:29 am

All of my Lowe’s and HD’s carry them in untreated pine. Not sure about your location though! Sorry!

14. Lauren Brooke Conlin on September 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Question! For the poly finish, how do you both apply (on larger projects like this of course)? I am SO afraid for this part of the table we built because I don’t want to mess it up. The table is so big, I don’t want to get half of it done and then it dry and look terrible. Any suggestions? Good thing I called Dad because I was about to put it in the spray gun and call it a wonderful day!

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm

In my experience spraying it on will get you the best finish and will be by far faster. However, I’ve brushed on poly a ton of times on table tops. As long as it isn’t super hot in your space you should have plenty of time to finish the table before it dries. Just don’t go back over where you started once you get to the end.

PS if you choose to spray it makes a mess so be prepared.

• Marion on September 13, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I always brush it on and it’s great – very smooth. Go in thin layers, no bubbles or drips, and lightly hand sand with fine grit sandpaper in between in coat but not after the last coat. I usually do 2-3 coats on a table for extra durability, but you can do more or less depending on the look and shine you want. Don’t be scared! It will be beautiful! 🙂

15. astrollthrulife on September 13, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Love it, how pretty and such a great tutorial too. Hugs, Marty

16. Alissa T. on September 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Love the look, it’s gorgeous. We have 5 kiddos aged 11 and down also… I’m wondering, what do you do with the crumbs that inevitably end up in the cracks between the wood on the table top? We built your outdoor table and benches for our covered deck (loving It, by the way!), but I’m finding it difficult to keep the cracks between the boards clean. Do you caulk before applying the poly? Or just run a toothpick every week or so 🙂

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

If you have or have access to a table saw it would be easy to cut of the rounded sides of the top planks then glue, screw, and clamp and sand the top, preferably with a belt sander. You could even have them make the cuts at Lowes or wherever you buy the wood.

I suppose you could also use stainable wood filler but that would be pretty tedious.

Good Luck!!

• Giggling Gerty on September 15, 2013 at 7:10 am

Was thinking exactly the same thing. How do u stop or clean the crumbs.

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:31 am

I like to use the suction tube of my vacuum… Works like a charm 🙂

17. Jeff Wright on September 13, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Very nice. I built a modified version of the original farmhouse table, but have been considering changing the base to something similar to this. I didn’t use wood glue between the base and the top for that very reason; easy to change out! My table is currently stained Early American, but thinking I may do an old world/chippy look on the new base.

As always, great work.

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:32 am

Thank you Jeff! I would love to see yours when you get it done! Sounds beautiful 🙂

18. Linda Crandall on September 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for sharing

19. Kristie on September 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Always look forward to your posts in my email. Your home is beautiful. I have a random question. What type of flooring am I always seeing in these gorgeous shots? Thanks

• JennKay on September 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Stained concrete! I’m very jealous of your floors. VERY.

• Kristie on September 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm

OK, thanks! Got any ideas or information on the ability or expense to put down this kind of flooring after tearing out carpeting?

• JennKay on September 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

My husband and I contemplated trying to do it ourselves, but it’s pretty complicated unless you have clean/new/chip-free concrete. We had glue and chunks missing from the carpet tack strips when we removed the carpet. Didn’t even try to tackle. I’ve read it’s about $4/ft professional, but never got an estimate. One day maybe. And in my next house.

• Kristie on September 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Well, Shucks! We’re here to stay, so I guess that option might be out! Thanks, JennKay!

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:35 am

I agree… It was easier for us because we had the subs cover the floor and protect it when we built the house. Most concrete in existing homes will be covered with all kinds of goodness, some stains they won’t be able to remove. If it makes you feel any better, I am currently looking at new flooring to cover mine because these have been such a booger to keep clean. I feel like they are always dirty! Hope this helps!

20. Katie on September 13, 2013 at 11:49 am

I LOVE this table! This is exactly what I want my husband to build. The problem we’ve come across is that we can’t find untreated 4x4s….where did you get yours?

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 12:16 pm

You can find them at Lowes, Homedepot, sutherlands, pretty much every box store that sells wood. IF they sell treated 4×4’s they will almost always sell untreated. Sometimes they are douglas fir instead of pine though. But fir seems to stain better then pine anyway.

• Jeff Wright on September 13, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Lowes and HD neither one sell untreated 4x4s in my area. I have heard of one local lumber supply that does, but haven’t went by and checked yet.

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

what area do you live in?

• Jeff Wright on September 13, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Central NC. At one time, both website’s showed that they carried them in store here, but when I went by, both told me that haven’t carried them in a while and actually recommended that other lumber supply.

• nathan on September 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

That’s crazy a 4×4 post is a pretty standard piece of wood. Thats like them saying they no longer carry 2×4’s or screws.

• Jeff Wright on September 13, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Agreed. They always have tons of treated 4x’s. Just no untreated.

• Marion on September 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm

We don’t have them where I live in the lowcountry of SC either. I had that question, too. Maybe it’s the region we’re in. But, whenever I need a 4×4, I just have to laminate 2-2×4’s together. It still looks very good, but I’d love to have that single piece of 4×4.

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:37 am

I’ve done that before on a previous table, but I do like the look of a solid piece of wood. That’s a bummer that your stores don’t carry them!

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:36 am

Agreed! Here in Texas they stock them like all of the other lumber. I can always find them, and ours are always very straight too.

• Alysse Ragle on November 2, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I am in TX and they only have treated pine, or cedar. That’s it!

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2013 at 4:37 am

That’s a bummer… I have had a few people mention that they can’t get them. Like Nathan said, our stores always carry them. Bummer!