DIY Restoration Hardware Dining Table!

Oh HEY guys!  For those of you that follow us on Instagram, you have seen the progress of this baby I am sharing today.  I am in LOVE… With a table.  Not ashamed.

I loved my old dining set, but have always wanted to build one myself for my fam.  With 5 kiddos under the age of 11, we live a casual lifestyle, and I avoid cushions if at all possible.  Casual doesn’t have to be simple and boring though!  So, I enlisted the help of my sweet, furniture planning guru, Miss Ana White to help me come up with this BEAUTIFUL and beefy DIY farmhouse dining table…

DIY Dining Table

Dining Table DIY

Isn’t is the bomb??  Too legit to quit!  Restoration Hardware wants $3000 for it… I made it for $100 in wood.

I am going to share lots of tips and tricks on building this right here, and you can see the full set of free plans for the table on Ana’s site!

Let’s get started!

I knew I wanted this table to be big and beefy, so I was immediately drawn to using 4×4’s for the base.  These are beautiful and cheap at the same time.  There are some things you need to remember though.  Because of their thickness, some saws won’t be able to cut them.  A 12″ miter saw should do the trick perfectly.

Table Base Wood

I was so excited to finally get to bust open my Kreg HD JigDIY Restoration Hardware Dining Table!
I’ve actually had it staring at me in a box for months because I was too intimidated to open it up.  I avoid learning new things, and then once I see how easy they are, I want to hit myself for not doing them sooner.

So, basically the Kreg HD JigDIY Restoration Hardware Dining Table is a larger version of the Kreg Jig.  It’s perfect for working with big projects like this one, since you won’t be able to fit these 4×4’s into the Kreg Jig.  Here is what it looks like and how I clamped it on to my boards.

Kreg HD Jig

Kreg Jig HD

I used my Ryobi 18V drill to make the pocket holes.  These pocket holes are bigger and thicker than the ones made with the regular Kreg Jig.

I took lots of photos of where I put my pocket holes on the base because sometimes figuring out the best places to put them is the biggest battle.  You have lots of options, but here is where I decided to put mine…

I also used Gorilla Wood Glue between all of my joints!

gorilla_wood_glue

Kreg Jig Dining Table

This is a shot of the top of the base turned upside down on the ground.  I put the pocket holes where they would stay very hidden.

Pocket Holes on Table BaseAnd this is the bottom of the base…

Wood Dining Table How to

That is a shot of the 2×4 runners that will go just beneath the table top.

Now for the diagonal pieces… Sometimes these can be a booger to clamp.  In fact, I spent a good 10 minutes trying to hold one in place and then I finally had a light bulb moment and pulled out my Gorilla Tape.  That stuff worked like a charm!  I know it’s not the most beautiful clamping job, but hey… It held those pieces perfectly and cost a whole lot less than all of my clamps.  We will call this part Shanty Clamping 😉

Clamp Wood with Gorilla Tape

On this part, I just used 3″ wood screws through the diagonal pieces and into the straight pieces.  You can see where my screws are in these pics…

Table Base DIY

I used 4″ screws on this part and went through the bottom runner and into the diagonal part.

Don’t clamp.  Use the tape.  Trust me.

How to build a Dining Table

And finally the table top.  Oh the darn table top.  This is actually a breeze to put together with a Kreg Jig IF you can find nice boards.  I seriously made 4 trips to different hardware stores to find boards straight enough to work with.  I actually ended up settling on 10 footers just to get good boards that would work.  Oh well!

You can see how I put pocket holes up and down the boards to connect them.  I clearly didn’t measure at all on this part… Just used the old eyeball method!

Pocket Holes for Table Top

Because my wood was acting up a bit, you can see where I used multiple pocket holes on the breadboard… I won.  It’s not going anywhere now.

Table Top Kreg Jig

I attached the base of the table to the top by using 2 1/2″ wood screws through the 2×4 runners.  I also used a few 4″ screws through the 4×4 base just for added strength.

And now for the finish!  Woohoo!

I decided to match the finish of the table to the Restoration Hardware sideboard and hutch I made for my dining room HERE.

I used Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut!  You can find it at Lowe’s, but do know that the packaging has changed a bit.

Rust-Oleum-Dark-Walnut

This stuff is so great!  It only requires 1 coat and it dries in under an hour.  I have used many stains, and this brand is BY FAR my very favorite!

Once it dried, I put 2 coats of Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane in Satin on it to protect the finish.  This goes on white and dries clear.  It doesn’t stink and it dries fast!

Rustoleum_Polyurethane

That’s it for the finish!

I am in the middle of making the cutest benches to match this table.  I LOVE a dining table with benches for my family.  The kids can’t ruin them, and they are rustic and beautiful at the same time.  I knew I wanted to dress the table up a bit with some end chairs, so I went to my very favorite store to find those!

homegoods-logo2

HomeGoods Dining Chairs

I love them!  Ironically, they match my window panels I made perfectly.  It was a match made in dining room heaven… Or Homegoods!  Aren’t they perfect??

And here are a few more shots!

DIY Dining Table

Dining Table Wood

Pottery Barn Dining Table

Dining Table DIY

I hope you love it as much as I do!!

I would LOVE for you to share this and PIN it with your peeps below!

Thank you so much for stopping by, and let me know if you have any questions at all.  Thanks again 🙂

1. Norma on May 31, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Are the plans no longer available? I keep getting an error

2. KB on May 29, 2018 at 9:07 am

I cannot find the plans on the Ana White site. Any chance there’s an updated link?

3. A.Huerta on May 26, 2018 at 10:50 am

The complete plans for the table on Anna White are no longer available… Help!

4. Tim Wieczorek on May 22, 2018 at 5:53 am

Hi the plans are no longer on Anna white some type of error. Any chance you can send me a PDF version asap trying to build for a gift

5. Jimmy Dean on September 30, 2017 at 10:42 am

I’m using 10 footers for each end. Those are 120″ long and only 114″ is required. That leaves me with 6 inches to play with. Story of my life.

6. Kat on February 11, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Ana! I’ve had this table pinned forever. You have an awesome, beautiful table design. What I’d like to know is the table measurement and how many you’d recommed it seats. I’d like a table that can seat 10. I’d love a reply whenever you can find some time, thanks Kathy

7. Rhonda Williamson on April 30, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I love this table and would like to try it as my first “major” build. I live in the Dallas area and was wondering how the table has held up for you? I was concerned reading through the comments about if it would hold up well secondary to humidity, etc. Also what size pocket holes and pocket screws did you use? Love your site! Thanks!

• Serena on February 21, 2018 at 12:10 pm

For 2x__ boards, you’d use the 1-1/2″ setting on your kreg jig and 2-1/2″ screws. 🙂

8. Scott Gilbert on April 19, 2016 at 3:23 am

I’m trying to make this for our kitchen table but need it to be 5 feet long. Any help with what measurements and/or angles need to change in order to accomplish this? Thanks!

9. Stacie Boyle on April 15, 2016 at 2:43 pm

So quick question, if I use a tongue and groove joint for the breadboards and also use the pocket hole joints for the other parts of the table would that allow my table to last a little longer?

10. Amy Nicole White on February 16, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Can anyone tell me exactly how I would make this into a 6 foot table?

11. txcajn on December 8, 2015 at 9:55 am

So, my question is… has it held up? I’m in Texas and the humidity levels in south Texas are ridiculous, I know it will affect the wood ultimately.

12. Chris Carden on November 25, 2015 at 1:16 pm

is the top of the table durable enough to be used as dining and possibly to write on?

13. Ten2ndRule on October 28, 2015 at 6:02 am

I put a 10 degree angle on my top 4×4 and left off the angle 4x4s, but other than that it’s the same.

14. Delaine on September 23, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I am almost finished with my table… now i need to sand and stain. Before i start that process i was curious if you could help me with one thing. I have 4 little kiddos and lets be frank, they are gross!!! LOL! I dont want crumbs, food, milk etc getting stuck in the table top crevasses …. any suggestions of a filler that would still look nice ?

15. Sally Bender on June 1, 2015 at 1:46 pm

at what angle or degree did you cut your table legs and your bench legs?

16. Steve Jones on May 31, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Love the Table, i’m building it for a friend, but she wants it 45 wide and 12 feet long, if i widden the base and extend it to 9.5 to 10 ft between the to legs do you think it will be sturdy enough. also i’m not going to do a breadboard end, i’m just going to use 45’s on the outside boards. what do you think

• Serena on February 21, 2018 at 12:18 pm

You could always add a third “leg” base to the center of the table if you feel it needs added support.

17. Dubaree on May 30, 2015 at 8:30 am

This goes out to all of the critics !! I’m not quite sure why anyone would get on here and talk trash about Shanty2chic pocket hole techniques . I have built plenty of stuff using this method and its solid as a rock.. If you are so great at doing woodwork ‘CRITICS’ ,spend hours on in making you a blog to help everyone out!! Shanty you guys do a great job and do not let someone convince you otherwise.. My advice to anyone hating, build before you knock it. Much Love!!!

18. Matt Hardin on April 23, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Did you apply any wood conditioner prior to staining?

19. Caitlin on March 25, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Hi! So I am in search for a new table because I painted mine and sealed the top with polyurethane and am not happy with it. It is just funky, even though I followed all the steps. Food get’s stuck to it so easily and it’s just not what I had imagined with little kids. So, here’s my question, have you found this table and chairs easy to clean? Or will I just have the same problem with mine now? Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on March 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Caitlin, what brand poly did you use? Our tables are very smooth after we poly and we wipe with winded and a cloth to clean…

20. Morgan on February 27, 2015 at 3:55 pm

What’s the size of the table top?