Chippy Wooden Picture Frame

Hey guys!  You may have seen my little sneak peak of this project on Instagram a few days ago!

DIY-Picture-FrameI made three of these super, chippy, wooden frames for about $7 each and they are SOOOOO easy 🙂

Here’s how!

measurementsI purchased 3 – 1×4’s @8ft and 1 – 1×3 @8ft.  For each frame, I cut 4 – 1×4’s @17 1/4″ and 2 – 1×3’s @ 14″ (to make certain your 1×3’s fit your frame right, measure the width of all 4 1×4’s together and cut the 1×3’s at that measurement.  Wood width varies quite a bit).

If you don’t have a saw, this hand saw is a great starter for a project like this!

Gorilla-Glue-Wood-GlueI laid the 1×4’s side-by-side and attached the 1×3’s on top.  I placed mine 2″ from the top and 2″ from the bottom.  To attach them, I just put a generous amount of wood glue on the 1×3

Ryobi-Airstrike-Nailerand followed up with 1 1/4″ brad nails.  I used my Ryobi Airstrike nailer for this but you could also use finishing nails and a hammer.  I shot my nails through the front of the frame because we are going for an old, worn look.

Super-Glue-GelI then used Gorilla Glue Super Glue Gel to attach a small wooden clothespin in the center of each frame.  I found my clothespins at Hobby Lobby!

Rustoleum_Dark_WalnutNow for the chippy finish!  This is sooooo easy!  I applied one coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut to the frame.

One-coat-of-stainJust wipe it on with a foam brush, wait about 5 minutes and then wipe the stain with a clean cloth.  Don’t wipe the stain off, just blend it.

Rustoleum_Heirloom_White_edited-1Once the stain dried, I sprayed one coat of Rust-Oleum Heirloom White spray paint over the stain.

one-coat-of-paintIt doesn’t have to be perfect because we are basically going to sand it off 😉

make-wood-look-oldSee! I used my Ryobi Corner Cat sander with an 80-grit sanding pad to sand the white spray paint off.  You can go heavy on this or light. I sanded them down pretty good and paid special attention to all of the corners.

Picture-FrameThat was IT!  If you want to hang these on the wall, just use a sawtooth hanger on the back of each frame.  I chose to prop mine on my DIY shelves!

DIY-Picture-Frame

distressed-wood

Distressed-Picture-FrameI’m totally in love with the finish on these and I have another DIY Christmas gift to add to the list!

If you love these Chippy Wooden Frames, we would love your pins and shares!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Ashley 🙂

1. Jennifer Epps on December 5, 2016 at 5:24 pm

I bought the corner cat and this is how mine turned out. This is my first DIY so bear with me. What did I do wrong sanding? It came with 60grit so I used that. The sander kept trying to go backwards. you can tell from the center it only sanded down from the center of the sander and not the top.

• ⁣💙💙💙💙❤❤❤❤❤❤
      💙💙💙💙❤❤❤❤❤❤
      💙💙💙💙❤❤❤❤❤❤
      💙💙💙💙❤❤❤❤❤❤⁣
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

❤ I built my own using the plans at www. WoodworkPlans.info – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Head on over to www. WoodworkPlans.info if you want to learn more – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

💕❤💕❤❤
      ⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨⭐🔨❤

2. Laura on August 4, 2016 at 11:43 am

Do you happen to have the measurements for a 8×10 picture?

3. Krista Johnson on October 10, 2015 at 10:37 am

I love these! I am just wondering if you stained the back too or just left the wood plain.

4. PoojaDhiman on August 31, 2015 at 2:26 pm

hi there – I love these frames, this tutorial was so inspiring. I bought the raw material today and wanted to make these frames, but bought oil based stain by mistake instead of a water based stain. How long should i wait for the stain to dry before spraying it with the white spray paint?

5. Lauren on June 5, 2015 at 7:59 am

if there are four 171/4″ 1 by 4’s across wouldn’t the cross brace 1×3 pieces need to be 16″ to make it all the way across all four of them like they do in the pics?? maybe I am missing something

• Lauren on June 5, 2015 at 8:01 am

oh I see tht you suggested to measure the width of them all together

• Jesse Leiker on December 26, 2015 at 1:39 pm

All milled lumber is dimensional to the same proportions…keeping this in mind for future projects will save you headaches and maintain your sanity (not to mention limited waste). As an example:

1×3 – actual 3/4″x2.5″
        1×4 – actual 3/4″x3.5″
        2×4 – actual 1.5″x3.5″
        4×4 – actual 3.5″x3.5″
        And so on…

• Krista Johnson on October 10, 2015 at 10:39 am

Also I just found out that a 1X3 is actually only 2 1/2″ wide so the 1×4 are probably like 3″. That is why the measurements are different because I was thinking the same thing 🙂

6. alpbap . on February 1, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I love these so much! I don’t have a sander like that – do you think it would work just by using sand paper?

• Mike Hernandez on February 7, 2015 at 10:38 am

Yes but it will be a lot of work you can get one for about &25-$30 at Wally-World

• Jesse Leiker on December 26, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I would use 40- or 60- grit with a sanding block. DeWalt makes a suburb palm sander that can be had for $40…probably $10 on Craigslist. The work is worth the reward on a project like this as far as I’m concerned. Plus; you don’t have to support the most evil corporation on earth by buying it at Wal-Mart.

• Barbara Hyatt on June 9, 2016 at 12:01 am

You are right about Wal-Mart. Hobby Lobby is also mentioned; I won’t shop there either.

7. Gildy González on March 11, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I feel like I would have to make every single one of you DIY projects. You are my all time absolute favorite. I have a small wall where I want to put a hook for bags, keys and that kind of stuff and these frames gave the inspiration I needed. Thanks for sharing !!!

8. Amanda Glidewell on December 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

How long do you usually wait for your stain to dry?

9. Shari Sell-Bakker on October 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Love this! Am going to try it this weekend…what size picture fits in this?

• Shanty2Chic on October 29, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Thank you Shari! I have 5×7’s shown!

10. Leslie Stewart on October 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

These frames are so cute! Thanks for the tutorial. I think I’d like to try these.
    Leslie
    House on the Way

11. tobosbunny on October 25, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Love the frames! Love the color and they are on my to-do list! 🙂