DIY Square Coffee Table

Hey guys!  I am LOVING my latest knock off piece!  I fell in love with the inspiration piece in a popular home decor catalog and had to have something like it!!  I enlisted the help of our sweet and talented friend, Ana White, on this project and boy did she deliver!

Square-Dining-Table-DIYAhhhh I am so in LOVE and I LOVE the legs, they just make the table!  Don’t let them intimidate you though, I didn’t make them 😉  An awesome company, Osborne Wood Products designed them for me based on Ana’s plans!  This table is unbelievably easy to build and I was able to do so for under $200!!  I’ll show you how I did it!

Coffee-Table-LegsI started with four of these GORGEOUS legs from Osborne, you may have seen a sneak peak picture of them on our Instagram 🙂  They are custom legs BUT they are offering them to our readers for the price of a stock leg making them half-off, Heck yah!!!  Click the box below to purchase the legs!

Drill-Kreg-Pocket-HolesFirst step is to attach the sides of the table to the legs.  This is super easy, I just drilled pocket holes in the boards with my Kreg Jig.

pocket-holes-in-apronsHere’s a picture of the sides of the table and where I drilled my pocket holes!

attach-first-boardsI used Gorilla Glue wood glue and my Ryboi 18V Lithium Drill to attach the boards to the legs.

attach-bottom-aprons

top-and-bottom-apronsWell, that was EASY!  On to the bottom shelf!

cut-spots-for-legsI used my Ryobi Jigsaw to cut notches out of my Purebond Plywood so that it will fit between the table legs.  We always use Purebond Plywood where we can because it is gorgeous, formaldehyde-free and it’s made with wood from sustainable forests.  You can learn more about why we have taken the Purebond Pledge HERE!

Kreg-JigAfter I cut the notches out, I used my Kreg Jig to drill pocket holes on all four sides.

attach-bottomTo attach it to the bottom apron, I just laid the table on it’s side and worked my way around, making sure to keep the plywood flush with the top of the boards, as I went.

planked-top-with-pocket-holesOnce the bottom was attached, it was time to build the planked top.  You can see that I circled where I drilled all of my pocket holes.

how-to-build-a-coffee-tableFinally, it was time to attach the top.  The pocket holes that I drilled in the side pieces made this part so easy and I don’t have any nail holes to cover!

Whoop! Time to stain 🙂
Rustoleum_Dark_WalnutI applied one coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut stain with a foam brush.  I let it sit for 5 minutes and then wiped the stain with a clean cloth.  Don’t wipe the stain away, the purpose of wiping is to blend the stain so that it is even all over the piece.

Rustoleum_PolyurethaneAnd, because this is a coffee table and it will see lots of ware and tear, I applied two coats of Rust-Oleum Polyurethane in Matte finish.

That was it!

DIY-Dining-TableThanks to Ana’s plans and Osborne’s gorgeous legs, I have a beautiful, DIY, square coffee table for under $200!!!!  It’s so much fun to decorate with the large base at the bottom!  I’m going to be busy year-round with this beauty 😉

DIY-Square-Coffee-Table

DIY-Furniture-Coffee-Table

Square-Dining-Table-DIYI hope you love this coffee table as much as I do!  Go check out all of the wood working products that Osborne has to offer!  I was so inspired to build different pieces of furniture just looking through their selections!!

We always appreciate your shares and pins!

Thanks for stopping by!

Ashley

1. Follower on January 21, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I love this. Do you mind sharing where the sofa is from? It is SO nice!

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 3:57 am

Yay! I love mine so much!! I used the plans at EasyWoodwork.org to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Go to www. EasyWoodwork.org – click the red link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

• Karen on May 17, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Would you please update box for coffee table legs discount. Is not working.

2. Angelie on January 13, 2014 at 8:13 am

I love this little table! One of my favorites! What is the measurements for everything? I would love to make a table of the same size!
    Thank you!

3. Tyi Duncan-Whitcomb on January 8, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I am so excited. I just ordered my legs. I see a new table in my living room shortly.

4. An Inkling Design on January 7, 2014 at 9:54 am

I am definitely adding this to the list of things to build this winter! Where did you get the rug?? I love that too!

5. Caye Marcy on December 17, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Love this table!! Do you use wood conditioner before you stain or just apply the stain to the bare wood?

6. Michelle Sicilia on December 2, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I can’t wait to do this! I’ve only ever painted furniture I’ve never stained but I want to make this piece just as you did. I’ve been watching some videos on how to stain and they all say to apply the stain, wait 5 minutes and then wipe away the excess stain. However, you instructed us not to wipe away the excess stain but just to blend in. Can you clarify, thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on December 2, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Yes Michelle! You never want to wipe the stain away. This is incorrect. The purpose of wiping it with a cloth is to blend it so that the stain is even all over. You will wipe some stain up in the process but do not wipe if clean. It should still be wet;)

• Val Beighley on December 7, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Actually, it depends on the type of stain. Gel stains do tell you to wipe away the excess after a certain number of minutes.

• Shanty2Chic on December 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Thanks Val, we are referring to the Rust-oleum stain.

• Michelle Sicilia on December 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm

would love to see you do a tutorial video on staining sometime! love all the videos you do, they’re so helpful!

• Joe Cyprowski on October 22, 2014 at 3:42 pm

you can watch videos all you want but it a HANDS on training that teaches you the most. gather up some lengths of scraps buy a small can of stain, some rubber gloves & old tee shirts or sock for your applicator and wiping rags.

• Ruby Rigdon on March 3, 2015 at 11:36 am

What are the leg dimensions, if you don’t mind me asking?

• Joe Cyprowski on October 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm

So true of gel stains, as these begin to dry and you wipe you may remove to bare wood and never get that area to match the rest

• Joe Cyprowski on October 22, 2014 at 3:36 pm

When I stain I always apply the stain with a rag and apply in a circular pattern (such as waxing a car, aka wax on wax off karate kid ) also I keep Mineral spirits on hand as I can blend/wipe semi dried areas to my liking.

7. Amanda Sue Kaney on November 27, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I am IN LOVE with your blog and I just love this coffee table! Wandering if you have any plans to do matching end tables in the near future? I’d love to do the coffee table for my own home & do matching end tables. 🙂

8. gerardmaphail on November 26, 2013 at 2:02 am

Hi Ashley. You are just superb and full of talent. I knew square coffee table DIY is easier than round table. But it also needs very much focus on right calculation of size & measurement. Love the way you complete it. Furnish the table top with table pads.

9. Kathy Benca on November 26, 2013 at 12:46 am

I love ALL the pieces that you’ve built off Ana’s site!

I too have built a few pieces. Fortunately, I am lucky enough to have a fiancée that’s in the building materials business so he can get me any species of wood materials AT COST! Every once in a while I have gone to HD and Lowes to buy my 2x’s if I just want pine because I am very impatient and don’t want to wait for their weekly deliveries. 🙂 BUT when I do, I have a HUGE problem with warping, shrinking and twisting of the pine 2x’s that I buy! Since all the wood from my fiancée is kiln dried, there’s never a problem. I never buy the “green” boards, so I know that’s not the problem. Actually 6 weeks ago I built a mantle out of pine 2×8’s. About 2 weeks after it was built (stored in my house) I was finally able to stain and poly the piece. 2 weeks later I went to load it up to install it at my friend’s house and 2 of the once perfect corners had bowed and twisted about 1/8 of an inch! I was SO upset! I ended up scrapping the whole thing and rebuilding out of knotty alder! Ends up that I LOVE the knotty alder more, but it’s just the point…

Anyway…the point of all that was to ask whether or not you’ve had “problems” building with pine similar to the ones that I’ve encountered?

Love your site and can’t wait to build this table!

• Joe Cyprowski on October 22, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Big box stores get seconds on lumber to keep their prices down (it is Kiln dried also) They move lumber faster and the way it is stored within the store usually under over head heaters…. Also remember IT”S FRAMING LUMBER (2x’s) not furniture grade = FRAMING LUMBER to build house.

10. Leslie Stewart on November 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! You are so talented!

11. carlibee on November 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Gorgeous!!

12. Angela Kempf on November 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I used the site you gave to get the knotty pine legs and they are in my cart at $116.00. How does the discount get applied?

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

The discount is already applied. These are custom legs made for our table plans. Custom legs this size are $60 each.

13. Karen May on November 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I absolutely LOVE this table! If we EVER get a house, I am so going to make this! Also, I love your sofas with the table. Such a pretty and comfy looking room! Can you share your source for your sofas? I am thinking about leather and I really like yours. It’s either leather or slipcover and I think leather would be more practical. Thanks for this!

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Thank you Karen! The sectional is from Ashley Furniture.
      I purchased it in 2009 and it has really held up well! I love how transitional it is too:)

14. Michelle on November 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Again, you wow my socks off! I LOVE this!

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Lol! Thank you so much Michelle:)

15. Kenly Packer on November 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Before you finished the table, did you sand it down much?

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I just sanded the rough/uneven areas but not a lot at all:)

16. Aaron Schwartz on November 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Very Nice. Do you stain and poly the underside of all of your furniture, or do you leave it unfinished?

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Hi Aaron! We actually don’t finish anything you can’t see. Saves precious time and stain 😉

• Joe Cyprowski on October 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I always stain and at least one coat of clear coat on the underside of the furniture I build it seals the wood from taking on moisture and warping & twisting

17. Alyssa Krauss on November 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm

What species of wood did you use for the legs? This came out fantastic!!

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Thank you Alyssa! I used knotty pine:)

18. Amanda Jones on November 25, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Which wood did you purchase from Osborne? Is the price listed what we would pay with the discount?

Beautiful table and a must have in my home!

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Hi Amanda! I purchased knotty pine. The price listed is with the discount. Custom knotty pine for this size leg will run $60 but they are $30 each!

19. Amanda DeWitt-Rink on November 25, 2013 at 11:51 am

That table is beautiful and I love your sectional! Would you mind sharing where you bought the couch? thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 11:52 am

Thank you Amanda! I bought it at Ashley Furniture in 2009 🙂

20. eesh on November 25, 2013 at 11:28 am

Beautiful! Too bad I live in Canada so with shipping alone those legs would be over $200! Boo! It’s still a lovely table though I might have to look for something cheaper closer to home! Definitely on the top of my ‘Pin’ list 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on November 25, 2013 at 11:53 am

Bummer!!! I’m sure you can find something local:))