DIY $15 Outdoor Bench!

Hey guys!

I have been taking advantage of our crazy weather here in Texas over the last couple weeks!  Last week we hit 80 degrees, and within a couple days we were hit by an ice storm and my kids were kept out of school for 3 days… Bonkers.  That’s Texas.

But, I did enjoy that 80 degrees!  I was able to tackle a project I have been wanting to do for sometime.

I thought it would be fun to build a bench to sit right next to our trampoline.  I love to sit out there and watch them, and it also gives them a place to sit while they are taking turns… Win, win.  Plus, it only cost me $15 to build!  Love it even more.

DIY Bench

This is one of my favorite benches.  It’s a great plan by Miss Ana White!  I think it’s perfect outdoors, or for any room in your house!

This was a very simple build.  I used 2 – 2×4’s and 3 – 2×6’s to build the entire thing!

I also used my Kreg Jig® to assemble it.  Here are a few tips on where I put my pocket holes.

This is the bottom inside of the legs….

And the top of the legs…

I also used the Kreg Jig® to plank the top of the bench before attaching it to the base.

This is the back of each of my diagonal pieces.  I wasn’t worried about covering the pocket holes because I knew they would be facing the wall.

And my bottom piece was attached like this…

I used 1 1/4″ screws through the bottom into the planks to attach the top.  I also used Gorilla Wood Glue for all of my joints.

After building it, I used one of my favorite paint methods to distress it.  I started by staining the whole thing with Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut…

Rust-Oleum-Dark-Walnut

After letting that dry for an hour, I did my Vaseline technique.  You can read about it here!  My final coat is a new Pantone color called String.  It’s a Valspar paint.  I just painted it on, let it dry, and then distressed!

I finished everything with 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Spar Varnish since this guy will be sitting outside.

RustOleum-Spar-Varnish

I love it out by the trampoline.   It’s so cute and did I mention it was $15?? Yah.  That definitely fits my budget!  Here are just a few more pics…

DIY Bench

DIY Wood Bench

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I would love for you to share my bench and PIN it below!

Thanks friends!

1. www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 4, 2018 at 3:31 pm

I built my own bench using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

2. Andrew Neil on May 4, 2018 at 3:15 pm

I built my own bench using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork .org – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

3. Andrew Neil on May 4, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Thanks for such a great blog by the way!

4. Amy on June 5, 2014 at 8:17 am

Could you give the measurements of it, please?

5. Pam on April 21, 2014 at 6:01 am

Are there measurements for this?? My dad is making it and asked for them.

6. Rebecca Giordano on April 9, 2014 at 12:35 pm

HI! Could you possibly give the measurements you used to make the entire bench? Thanks!

7. Jill Marr Griffin on January 23, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I had a snow day on Tuesday, this is what I made!

8. Brooke on January 12, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Do you happen to have the measurements for the cuts? I’m interested in making this! Thanks so much

• Lauren O'Meal on June 13, 2017 at 6:53 am

Hi, does anyone have the measurements for the cuts?

• Megan Groah on October 19, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Check out the Ana white link she tagged. That’s where you’ll find all the cut list and details.

9. Rachelle Slee on January 7, 2014 at 7:13 am

I was wondering if you had any measurements?

10. Krissy Buck on December 22, 2013 at 9:52 am

My mom is getting this bench for Christmas!!

11. TinaShaw on December 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Wherever you are, you’re close! We’re in Fort Worth and we were out of school for a few days, too…I thought my 16yo was going to lose it but the 8yo LOVED every last second of it! LOL! Love the bench! and I have a Kreg Jig but am so scared to use it!

12. CBFrank on December 16, 2013 at 8:45 am

that’s one sturdy bench!

13. Giggling Gerty on December 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Our friends have a spring free and it truly is awesome! I am going to put of these bad boys to have outside at my front door…. if I use exterior paint, would I need to put the exterior varnish on????

14. Jami Bingham on December 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

I am wanting to get a Kreg Jig for Christmas. Can you tell me if I should go with the K4 or the newer K5 Jig? I have read reviews on both and am not sure if the K5 is better just because it is newer or just stick with the K4. Can you help me out in deciding? Thanks

• Shanty2Chic on December 14, 2013 at 11:06 am

Jami… I LOVE my new K5… It really is much more user friendly, even though the K4 is awesome as well. I would spend a bit more and get the K5… It’s amazing!

• Jami Bingham on December 14, 2013 at 11:16 am

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I am really excited to get one! I really love your blog! It completely inspires me :)!

• Krystle C. on December 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I had the same question. Does the K5 come w/ everything the K4 does? Thanks so much!!

(: Krystle C.