$10 Wooden Blanket Ladder

Hey guys!  We are so excited to kick-off the first day of the 12 Days of Christmas!  To keep up with our latest projects follow us on Instagram! Our first post is a super easy and inexpensive DIY Blanket Ladder.

I love making my home feel comfortable but chic 😉 for the holidays, whether it be for my own family or our guests!  I’ve seen a lot of ladders for blankets in the past but, I wanted a specific “shanty” look!  My favorite part of this ladder is the 2×6’s!  They give it a solid, chunky look!

DIY-Wooden-Blanket-LadderI’m totally in love with it 🙂  It was so easy to build and only cost me about $10!!!

I will give you guys a full tutorial here, and you can also download and print the FREE PLANS by clicking HERE or the button below!

diy blanket ladder – free plans

DIY Blanket Ladder - Click For Free Plans

Here’s how I did it!

diy blanket ladder - measurements

diy blanket ladder – materials

I purchased 2 – 2×4’s @ 8′ and 1 2×6 @8′.  I cut 2 2×4’s @ 5ft. long and 4 2×6 @ 17″ long.  I just made up my own measurements and I love how big and chunky the ladder is. Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

diy blanket ladder - Kreg-Jig

diy blanket ladder – kreg jig

Next, I used my Kreg Jig to drill 1 1/2″ pocket holes into the ends of each 2×6. (You can find the Kreg Jig HERE on Amazon). If you do not own a Kreg Jig, you can pre drill from the sides of the 2×4’s into the 2×6’s and follow up with 2 1/2″ wood screws. Watch our How to Use a Kreg Jig video HERE!

diy blanket ladder - Pocket-Holes
You can see that I circled where I drilled my Kreg pocket holes.

diy blanket ladder - space-boards-12-inches-apart

diy blanket ladder – assembly

I set the 2×6 boards so that the front corner touched the front of the 2×4 and the back corner of the 2×6 touched the back of the 2×4.  I placed the top 3″ from the top of the 2×4 and spaced the others 12″ apart from each other.  I measured from the front corner of each 2×6.

diy blanket ladder - attach-with-pocket-hole-screws
Make sure your Kreg pocket holes are facing the back.  I used 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws to attach the 2×6 boards.

Next, just attach the other 2×4 to the other side of the 2×6’s the same way.

diy blanket ladder - Rustoleum_Dark_Walnut

diy blanket ladder – staining

To finish this cutie off, I used applied one-coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut with a foam brush. (You can find the Dark Walnut stain HERE on Amazon).  Wait about 5 minutes and then blend the stain with a clean cloth.

diy blanket ladder - How-to-Distress-Wood
To give it the worn look that we love so much, I used my Ryobi Corner Cat Sander to distress the wood all over.  This sander is perfect for sanding this piece because of all of the angles.

Once it was dry, I added a few cute and soft blankets!

diy blanket ladder - DIY-Quilt-Ladder

diy blanket ladder - DIY-Wooden-Ladder
I can’t decide where to put it in my house 😉  I love it everywhere!

diy blanket ladder - Quilt-Rack-DIY

DIY-Wooden-Blanket-Ladder
I just love getting my home ready for Christmas!  We have so much more to come over the next 11 days!  This is just the beginning!  We always appreciate your pins and shares 🙂

Remember you can check out the full set of FREE printable plans by clicking HERE!!!

Here are a few projects that we have recently done to help you get your home holiday ready!

DIY-Rectangle-WreathDIY Rectangle Wreath

diy-bar-cartDIY Bar Cart

Free-Printable-Banner-500x750Free Printable Merry Christmas Banner

DIY-Wood-Christmas-Tree-Stands-500x723DIY Christmas Tree Stands

Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

~Ashley

1. Tyler Lamb on January 1, 2015 at 5:04 pm

I made one of these for my wife and i was wondering what is the angle that u cut the bottom of the legs to so that it has a clean look while leaned up against the wall.

• Shanty2Chic on January 1, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Hi Tyler,
      There are no angle cuts on the bottom of the ladder. You can add them if you like but if you have a smooth floor, like wood, it may slip.

• Lauren Joseph Anlauf on February 17, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Or you can add soft non slip pads on the bottom, that also works wonders

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 4, 2018 at 11:53 pm

I built my own blanket ladder using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

www. EasyWoodwork.org

2. Aimee on December 4, 2014 at 4:14 pm

love this!!! Where did you get the blankets??? they look soo comfy!!!!!

3. SoontobeNatalieN on November 10, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Yay, just made my first one this weekend!

4. Jessica on November 2, 2014 at 8:04 am

do you find that the ladder slips at all? i want to make one for my livingroom but we have hardwood floors and i worry the weight of the blankets will make it slip forward. any suggestions?

• Shanty2Chic on November 2, 2014 at 8:49 am

Hey Jessica!
      I have had mine on wood floors and it hasn’t slipped. If you are worried you could put rubber pads under the legs:)

5. christy on June 12, 2014 at 8:52 am

where did you get basket with pinecones and yes!im copying your house style:)

• Shanty2Chic on June 12, 2014 at 9:00 am

Lol! Go for it 🙂 basket is from Homegoods and the pine comes are from Hobby Lobby 🙂

6. Andrew on April 9, 2014 at 9:06 am

I made one to hold all the bath towels that get used when we bathe our dogs. It was so simple and worked so well that I made a couple more. They’re in my daughters rooms. We could never get them to stop leaving their clothes on the floor, but these ladders work great for that too!

I love your projects and enthusiasm. Very infectious! Thanks!!

7. Justin George on April 2, 2014 at 8:04 pm

how do you make sure the ends of the ladders (rails) line up exactly before screwing the rungs in?

• Shanty2Chic on April 2, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I measured on both rails where to put the rungs.

8. Darlene on March 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Is there a way to print out instructions for your projects without all of the other stuff that is on the page? I would love to try some of them, but I work better with something laid out in front of me to follow!!
    Thanks

• Shanty2Chic on March 16, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Hi Darlene! We are working to have PDF’s available for all of our plans:) this specific plan should be available this week:)

9. Michelle Pierce on January 1, 2014 at 11:59 am

So so happy I found your blog! I will be busy this weekend!

10. mab on December 28, 2013 at 6:00 pm

My blanket ladder! Project #2 done! It took a few re-assembly efforts to get it straight. The first attempt was pretty crooked. It still isn’t perfect, but passable…

• Shanty2Chic on December 28, 2013 at 6:08 pm

We love it:) thank you so much for sharing!!!!

• Jamila on November 10, 2015 at 9:40 pm

I know this is a long shot but why was it crooked? I am having the same issue.

• Fawn Stender on August 9, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Make sure your getting your measurements right…each side has to be the same measurement…I build my first side..then measure and make the second “top” side to measure exactly…the top is 3″…but it might be slightly less or more depending how you placed it…measure then copy it for the second side. My first one was totally crooked too!

• Zac Surant on August 16, 2016 at 5:02 am

To make it as easy as possible clamp your 2x4s together and make your cut 1 time to assure they are the exact same size. Also, just for simple house keeping, make sure your 2×6 boards are not warped. That will make it very crooked very fast. Also make sure that they are screwed flush against the 2x4s. Hopefully this helps folks having the same issue in the future ????

• Keri Shoemaker on December 16, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Thanks, Zac!

11. Loretta on December 4, 2013 at 8:36 am

I love all of the things you make.
    would you suggest wood glue (with screws) if you do not have the jig? I am HOPING that the hubs got the many hits of that on my list 😉
    It’s a beautiful project, and I am making 2. Perfect gifts!

• Shanty2Chic on December 28, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Yes that is exactly how you would do it. You can use wood putty to fill the holes on the sides 🙂

12. Tara on December 3, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I love these, just like everything else! My only question is: Do you know why my Rustoleum Dark Walnut stain looks so much lighter than what your projects look like? I love the color I see in your pictures but when I use the same exact stuff it’s super light! Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on December 3, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Tara! You need to make sure that you shake the can before you use it and I suggest using a paint stick to get the color mixed really well. Sometimes the color settled to the bottom of the can when it has sat on the shelf. Hope this helps!

13. Michael Wurm, Jr on December 2, 2013 at 11:10 am

What a fabulous project! I can think of SO many uses for this! Fabulous ladies!

xo Michael

14. Runt on December 2, 2013 at 10:23 am

I loooove the blanket ladder. I have been wanting one FOREVER!

15. Angel Debbie on December 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Have a question…do you find that the stain wears off onto the fabric of the quilts? My hubby made me a quilt hanging rack for the wall and I did not use stain on it for that reason. Has anyone had this problem or “fear” of it ruining their quilt?

• Janet on December 1, 2013 at 8:07 pm

You could put a satin poly over the stain after you sand it.

• Shanty2Chic on December 1, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Yes!! Janet is right. Just put a coat of poly and you won’t have a problem!

• Angel Debbie on December 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Thank you! I had not thought of doing that. Have a great upcoming week!

• Angel Debbie on December 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Thank you ladies!! I had not thought of doing that! I wish you a great upcoming week! Thanks again!

16. Kim on December 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Love this, I have three antique quilts from the early 1900’s, I could just make it a bit wider, but still keep it a ladder. Thanks so,so much!! They’re in a drawer where no one can see them. Great idea!

• Shanty2Chic on December 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Thank you Kim!!

• Susan Ramsay on May 26, 2018 at 11:47 am

Yes, quilt were the first thing I thought of when I saw the plain ladder.

17. Kim on December 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Love this. Would be great to hold extra towels in the bath too. Is there any way to secure it to the wall to keep curious little ones safe?

• Shanty2Chic on December 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Thank you Kim! To secure it, I would us some type of “L” bracket and anchors!

18. Funky Junk Interiors on December 1, 2013 at 11:47 am

My blankets sure don’t look this beautiful in my home… I guess I need a ladder! 🙂 This project is gorgeous! And yeah… I need a kreg tool STAT.

19. Eileen Murray on December 1, 2013 at 10:26 am

Beautiful! Just one question….it looks like the side rails are cut at an angle on the bottom…if so, did you cut at 10 degrees or some other angle?
    Love this, so simple but a gift anyone would love!

• Shanty2Chic on December 1, 2013 at 10:31 am

Thank you! They aren’t cut at an angle:) just a plain straight cut! I just lean it against the wall.

• Katie Weber on January 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I just made finished my adorable ladder, and I went ahead and cut the bottom at 15 degree angles. It leans perfectly for what I was envisioning. 🙂

20. Msongbird on December 1, 2013 at 8:38 am

Oh, I love this. I have room in my home for more ladders. I’d better start and make me some!