New Year… New Workbench Baby!

Happy New Year friends!

I am SOOO excited to share this latest build with you!  I decided to build a little something for myself this go around.  I figured it was time to get a lot of my projects off the garage floor and onto a workable space.  Check out my simple DIY workbench!

DIY Workbench Plans

Shanty2Chic DIY Workbench

Ahhh… Isn’t it perfect??  I love everything about it!  Ashley and I have been working with our friends at Ryobi Power Tools to create fun DIY videos for you guys.  They always have the BEST workbenches for our shoots, and I come home feeling super inspired to build one for myself.  Well… I finally did.  This is a large workbench, but it really is a very simple build!  I tried my best to break it down for you, but feel free to ask me anything!

Here we go!

Supply List

2 – 2x6x8

7 – 2x4x8

2 4×8 sheets of 3/4″ MDF

4 5″ locking rubber casters

2.5″ wood screws

Kreg Jig

I started by building my frames.  This workbench has two frames… A top frame, and a bottom shelf frame.  Here are the measurements of both.

How to build a workbench

How to build a workbench 2

I used 2×4’s for both frames.  I also used my crazy awesome Kreg Jig to put the whole thing together.  If you don’t have a Kreg Jig, you can also predrill and attach all the pieces with 2.5″ wood screws.  But, I totally suggest the Kreg Jig!  Makes this part a breeze and you won’t have screws showing on the outside.

I used 1 1/2″ pocket holes and 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws to attach all my pieces.  I did this because the width of the wood is 1.5″.

Kreg Jig corner of workbench

Kreg Jig Pocket Holes

Now for the legs!  Each leg is made from one 2×4 and one 2×6 piece.  These measure 26.5″ long each.  I attached the legs together first using my Kreg Jig.  You can see where I put my pocket holes into my 2×4 pieces.  I did 3 on each 2×4 piece.  Then, I used Gorilla Wood Glue and 2.5″ screws to attach the legs together.

Workbench Legs

Here is another shot of the legs…

Workbench Legs 2

Each leg will also have a 5″ 2×6 piece on the bottom of each leg.  These will hold the bottom shelf in place and hold the casters once it is all built.  I used wood glue and 2 1/2″ wood screws to attach these to the bottom of each leg.  Here it is after I attached the frames to it…

Workshop Leg Base

Once I had all the legs built, I attached them to my frames.  The legs will line up on the outside of the bottom shelf frame, and on the inside of the top frame.  I used heavy duty 2.5″ torx screws on this part.  You can see them on the inside of my top frame.  I also used my drill to pre drill before attaching.

Now for the shelves! This is the heavy part…So I got my hubby to help me lift them up.  I used 3/4″ MDF for each shelf.  I had the nice guys at Home Depot cut it down for me.

Here are those measurements…

Bottom Shelf – 30″ x 66″

Top Piece – 36″ x 72″

Workbench Leg 3

I used my Ryobi Airstrike Nailer to attach both pieces of MDF.  I didn’t use glue on this part, because I want to be able to easily change out these pieces when they get too worn.

Ryobi Cordless Brad Nailer

That’s it!  My final step was adding the casters which I found at Northern Tool.  These are 5″ rubber locking casters.  I also gave the my frames and legs one fast coat of white paint and used my Corner Cat sander to distress them a bit… Every good workbench should be cute too, right??

Here she is all finished up!

How to build a workbench

DIY Workbench Shanty2Chic

Shanty2Chic DIY Workbench

DIY Workbench Plans

DIY Workbench

Did I mention I totally love it??  Just checking!  I built the whole thing for under $130.

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I would LOVE for you to pin and share my new workbench with all your friends!  Let me know if you have any questions at all!

1. Terry on September 24, 2017 at 5:35 am

Looks great to me. I am going over measurements in my mind. I would have thought that the base would have been 4″ less at 29′ and not 27″ ?? I am going to have a go at this and see what eventuates. Like the ideas of the 2″ overhang and even a backboard to be added.

2. Sandra Sherman on September 23, 2017 at 11:14 am

My first “large” project. So excited about how it turned out! Your instructions were awesome!! Thank you so much!!

3. Michael Selby on September 4, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Found this blog post last week and built the table over the weekend. What a great design and so simple to build, and I am now a Kreg convert! Thanks for sharing!

4. bob kelso on July 13, 2017 at 11:51 am

Just want to thank you for the inspiration of this workbench. Find a lot of good benches in the internet but this one seems to be the best for me. Had to modify the bench a bit since I got no Kreg jig and the dimensions of Lumber in Germany is not the same as in the USA. But finally, I got it and i already worked on it for month. Works perfekt! Greetings from Germany, Chris

5. Julia Moore on June 6, 2017 at 9:59 am

Is there a printable plan for this new workbench?

6. Amanda Fryar on April 22, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Just finished mine! I definitely recommend putting a 2 inch overhang on the mdf to add space for clamping. Also I added quite a few inches in the legs to make it a bit taller. I love it!

7. Kevin McGoo on March 30, 2017 at 9:58 pm

I know this is an older post, but can someone describe how they mounted the 5″ block at the bottom of the bench and how the legs were attached at the bottom? Kind of wondering where I should be putting screws for the sturdiest design. Would love to see the bottom to see how these got mounted. And do the bottoms of the legs mount straight through same as the top in the picture?

8. Fotografia Sérgio Salgueiro on March 21, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Hi Shanty2Chic girls! Portuguese fan here! =) I’ve been following your work for a while now and I want to build this workbench to start my home woodshop. The problem is converting the US measurements into our metric system (cm or m), because I always end up with not even numbers (1 inch = 2,54 cm and so on..) and these doesn’t match with commercialy available wood sizes. Could you help me get the right measurements for this plans? Thank you so much and keep up inspiring us with your awesome works!!

9. Mike Kenig on May 25, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Nice simple plans for a great workbench! I made mine a little taller to match my table saw and also added a 2″ overhang on three sides for clamping. The fourth side I left flush so it still fits in front of the truck in the garage 🙂

10. jimgwilliam on March 7, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I’m about to start building mine tonight. Just got the lumber and the tools I need. Drafted up a quick model last night to make sure I’m all set.

11. Lavon Gittens on November 26, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Trying to find where you can print a copy of the plans.

Lavon

12. Nick Davenport on September 11, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Thanks for the plans! I just finished my build today and can’t wait to use it for the long list of other projects I have to get finished. Unfortunately, adding height was an afterthought, but I just doubled up the 5″ 2×6 pieces before attaching the casters.

13. Jerry Shouse on August 24, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Found your post on Pinterest.
    I just finished my workbench yesterday!
    Do we have to worry about the entire board of MDF absorbing water? or just the edges?
    I’ve read to seal the board with an oil based primer, but I wanted to double check.

14. Matthew Boston on July 13, 2015 at 8:38 am

What kind of torx screw did you use to attach the legs to the frame? Do you have a link to Amazon (or other website) maybe?

15. James on May 16, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for the plans. Here is how my workbench turned out

• Shanty2Chic on May 17, 2015 at 7:39 am

Looks perfect James!!! Way to go!

• Julie Godward on July 19, 2017 at 7:10 pm

hi, what kind of wood you used on this bench?, thanks

16. Brian on May 10, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for the great instructions. I followed them but chose to not add casters. I also added a backsplash with outlets.

17. James on May 6, 2015 at 7:08 am

How much does this bench weigh? How much are the casters ? Everywhere I look they are expensive

• ldahl264 on December 31, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Not sure about the weight but the red casters you see in many of the pictures run about $10 a piece.

18. David Vige on April 23, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Finished mine last night! Only change I made was adding 5″ to the legs to accommodate my 6′ 3″ height. Thanks for the inspiration!

19. Jeffrey Kwasnaza on April 7, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Plan to be making this bench by the weekend so I can start the long list of projects my wife has for me. Having the bench on wheels is a great idea when working with little space.

20. Jeff MacInnis on February 19, 2015 at 10:53 pm

I just built one of these. I made many mistakes and learned quite a bit. Thank you for a great site, I have learned a lot from
    it!

21. Guest on February 19, 2015 at 10:48 pm

I just built one of these. I made many mistakes and learned quite a bit along the way. Thank you for a great site, I have learned a lot from it!

• Jeff MacInnis on February 19, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Sorry for the duplicate post, not sure what happened.

22. c69101 on November 17, 2014 at 10:26 am

Nice workbench!

23. Spencer Sampson on September 26, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Hey, I just finished making this. I am about to attach the casters and I was wondering what kind of hardware you used to attach them?

24. Abby Cook on June 19, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Sat on my garage floor to build this workbench. Thanks! Love it! Now I’m a Kreg-for-Lifer

25. Jim Fink on May 23, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I am going to make two of these. One for my welding room and wrap the top and sides with metal so the work will be grounded and wood is cheaper (most times) than metal. I can get more working space and I really need to organize my scape metal pieces I use for my “Art Welding” pieces. The other will be used in the garage and used for projects only – no storage nothing but the current working project. I have 3 tables now all the same size you have if not larger and I have crap on all of them – even my metal work table I made in my ALC (Adult Learning Center). The other table was to be used for painting and stains…ha! It has car crap, fishing stuff, 5 gallon pales, 3 battery testing terminals – mostly all liquid stuff and is always in the corner with my motorcycle – mower – 2 tool chests – planer, jointer and table saw and 15 gallon vacuum – car lifts (drive up on racks) etc. I have a 30 X 30 garage and I can’t find a place to work in it. So another promise…to use these as IN PROGRESS working surfaces – no bags, boxes or ….You might think I am talking to my 5 guys crew…nope – I am talking to myself. Many arguments are handled wrestling in the yard – I don’t win most of the time. Thanks Shanty Ladies!!!!

26. Mel Mac on May 17, 2014 at 6:32 pm

It has finally warmed up here in the Toronto area, and this project was #1 on my spring to do list.

Thanks for the plans, they were perfect.

27. Mike Abney on April 27, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Terrific workbench. I found it on this site about 10 days ago when I was looking for a workbench plan and built it today. The plans are easy to use: A picture with dimensions and a few words of wisdom. I bought a Ryobi Airstrike as well for the top and some trim work that I am doing for my entertainment room. Very nice tool. I am a Dewalt guy usually. Their equivalent was more than $100 more and not as nice.

I looked at the suggestions and went with Melamine for the top and bottom shelf and added a pair of magnetic strips. The neighbors stopped by as I was finishing it up and were impressed. Thank you for posting the plans. I look forward to doing more of your projects.

• Shanty2Chic on April 27, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Thanks so much Mike for your awesome comment! It totally made my day reading it! Happy you are pleased… We would love to see a picture of yours if you ever want to send one along 🙂

28. Jennifer B on April 10, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Great simple design & tutorial. I wish I had read the comments, or thought about customizing first. At 5″10″ this bench is too short for my standing comfort. Going back to the lumber store so I can build up the bottom & put the wheels back on.

29. steve Z on March 28, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Thanks for the plans. They are great benches!!! I built two. One for my girlfriend and one for me. Hers I made to your specs, Mine I made larger and added home made Bench Dogs and a vise

30. steve Z on February 14, 2014 at 12:45 pm

what did you use to attach to the base in order to attach the casters to the bench. Did you use actual Kreg screws or another brand?

31. Paul Bennett on January 23, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I built your bench and then added drawers on both ends now ihave more work and storage space. thanks for the great plans and jut to let you know the Kreg Jig is the best gift ever.

• Shanty2Chic on January 23, 2014 at 8:34 pm

That is so awesome Paul!! Loved this message! And yes… The Kreg Jig is AMAZING! Enjoy your new table!

• Mike on March 3, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Hey Paul… How did you add the drawers? I was thinking of doing the same!

32. Lauren Halagarda on January 21, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Thanks for sharing! I am in the planning process on a miter saw cart (just got a Ryobi 10″ sliding compound miter saw!) and I’m waffling over the height, which will affect a subsequent workbench build.

What height do you ladies find comfortable (and how tall are you)? Or better yet, what is the tabletop even with on you? wrists? belt? etc.
    Gosh, that sounds so personal…

• TBJWebmaster on January 22, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I don’t know if it is different for females, but most recommendations for wood work bench height suggest the top should be about level with your wrist when standing. This certainly works well for me.

• Lauren Halagarda on January 23, 2014 at 5:39 am

Thanks, TBJWebmaster! 32″ seems way too low…nervous about building something all wrong 🙂 Will try to set up a temporary table to work from at that height to test it out.
        Thanks again!

• Shanty2Chic on January 23, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Hi Lauren I am just seeing these so sorry! With casters this stands 35″ which is almost the exact height as my miter saw bench. I personally love the height. I’m 5′ 2″. We have had several people that have made this table just as I did and are very pleased with it. And I am totally able to clamp to it… I do it all the time. Hope this helps!

33. Gregory Young on January 12, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for the kick in the pants. I’ve needed to make a new bench for a while. Love your site!

• Shanty2Chic on January 12, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Oh that’s awesome Gregory!! Thanks so much for the nice words!!

34. Candiece Barnthouse on January 9, 2014 at 11:02 am

I love the size of this and totally love that my hubby or I can take it out to the drive way for big jobs or just to work in nice weather! Thank you so much for sharing. SO ready to get this project going.

35. Lisa on January 6, 2014 at 8:00 am

I love the idea of the magnetic strip! I am always searching for my boxes of bits, and this takes away that issue — just grab what you need from the strip. I’m going to look for a way to add one of these in my garage work space. Thank you for the inspiration!

36. Tara Hayes Carrasco on January 4, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Once I opened my Kreg Jig just now I answered my own question about the pocket hole screws! Happy they included some because I’m making a couple of your blanket ladders right now! 🙂

37. Tara Hayes Carrasco on January 4, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Do you think it would work for me to use 2×3’s for this? I just have a ton of them so it would be cheaper for me but I don’t want to if it won’t be durable enough. I just got a Kreg jig so this will be my first project with it! Yay! But one question, are pocket hole screws much different than regular screws because no one at Home Depot had any idea what I was talking about! Thanks!!! 🙂

• Lauren Halagarda on January 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hi Tara,
      Re: HD and pocket hole screws: I had a similar problem with no one knowing what I’m talking about. Make sure you talk to the tool expert- the Kreg screws are usually with the Kreg tools, and they would know.

• TBJWebmaster on January 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

You can get Kreg screws on Amazon or at Lowes (if you have one nearby).

They have fine ones for hardwood and coarser ones for softwood. They take a #2 square bit (much better than crosspoint) and the heads are shaped to fit the hole left by the Kreg bit. They are also self tapping.

I find I have to be careful when using them near end grain (screwing into the undrilled section), and often use a size 1/4″ less than they say (or adjust the jig) to avoid the point sticking out.

That said, they are excellent, much better than stock shelf crosspoints.

• Matt Masulis on January 22, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Hi Tara,

If you don’t want to get the Kreg Screws or your HD doesn’t carry them, you can find pocket hole screws in bags down the screw isle. They will be under the premium wood screws section.

• Tara Hayes Carrasco on January 23, 2014 at 12:28 am

Thank you all so much! Apparently the tool expert on duty at my HD wasn’t such a tool expert after all! I have a Lowe’s and a HD catty-corner from each other so that makes things convenient! 🙂 I’ll check again!

• Shanty2Chic on January 23, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Glad they helped you Tara! I like ordering on amazon too… I can always find what I need there. Hope you got it all worked out!

38. Myeloman on January 4, 2014 at 12:44 am

Just a thought, I use melamine for my workbench tops, cleans up a lot easier and is nice for drawing out full size drawings of projects. I’ve used it commercially for years and it’s tough and durable. Even wood glue that drips onto it comes off easily with a scraper of after a short soak with a wet rag. I’d also second Matt’s suggestion that an overhang be left around the edges for clamping. Great tutorial though!

39. Mel Mac on January 3, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Awesome! Thank you for sharing how you built this. I am not clear (or I’m dense) on how you attached the bits to the legs to support the bottom shelf. Can you expand on that, please?
    A smaller version will be perfect for my single car garage, and can be easily wheeled out to the driveway when working on projects. LOVE IT.

40. Denise Johnston Waghorn on January 3, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Looks like you permanently attached your Kreg jig, right? And is that a magnetic strip? Also wondering about the clamping question from Matt. Great build though. Might be my first project with my jig!

41. Linda Crandall on January 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

I feel a new bench coming on for our garage! Thanks for sharing ya’ll – Happy New Year!

42. Matt Masulis on January 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

Whitney,

This bench is great and thanks for the tutorial. I am just about to be in need of a new one myself and this will be perfect. Thank you for all that you share!

– Matt

• TBJWebmaster on January 22, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I’d certainly want an overhanging edge for clamping. I would reinforce the edge with 2.5″ (or wider) x 3/4″ timber glued underneath (to give total thickness of 1.5″) to prevent damage from the clamps and a little more stability. I would also consider an edging piece around as I don’t like seeing the edge of MDF.

• Shanty2Chic on January 23, 2014 at 8:38 pm

I haven’t had a hard time clamping to the table at all. I use the 2×4 that runs just under the top. And you can certainly finish it however you like… I don’t mind the look of that MDF, but an edge banding would be an easy fix. Thanks!