New Year… New Workbench Baby!

Happy New Year friends!

I am SOOO excited to share this latest build with you!  I decided to build a little something for myself this go around.  I figured it was time to get a lot of my projects off the garage floor and onto a workable space.  Check out my simple DIY workbench!

DIY Workbench Plans

Shanty2Chic DIY Workbench

Ahhh… Isn’t it perfect??  I love everything about it!  Ashley and I have been working with our friends at Ryobi Power Tools to create fun DIY videos for you guys.  They always have the BEST workbenches for our shoots, and I come home feeling super inspired to build one for myself.  Well… I finally did.  This is a large workbench, but it really is a very simple build!  I tried my best to break it down for you, but feel free to ask me anything!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FREE PRINTABLE PLANS!!!!!

Here we go!

New Workbench Supply List

2 – 2x6x8

7 – 2x4x8

2 4×8 sheets of 3/4″ MDF

4 5″ locking rubber casters

2.5″ wood screws

Kreg Jig

I started by building my frames.  This workbench has two frames… A top frame, and a bottom shelf frame.  Here are the measurements of both.

How to build a workbench

How to build a workbench 2

I used 2×4’s for both frames.  I also used my crazy awesome Kreg Jig to put the whole thing together.  If you don’t have a Kreg Jig, you can also predrill and attach all the pieces with 2.5″ wood screws.  But, I totally suggest the Kreg Jig!  Makes this part a breeze and you won’t have screws showing on the outside.

I used 1 1/2″ pocket holes and 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws to attach all my pieces.  I did this because the width of the wood is 1.5″.

Kreg Jig corner of workbench

Kreg Jig Pocket Holes

Now for the legs!  Each leg is made from one 2×4 and one 2×6 piece.  These measure 26.5″ long each.  I attached the legs together first using my Kreg Jig.  You can see where I put my pocket holes into my 2×4 pieces.  I did 3 on each 2×4 piece.  Then, I used Gorilla Wood Glue and 2.5″ screws to attach the legs together.

Workbench Legs

Here is another shot of the legs…

Workbench Legs 2

Each leg will also have a 5″ 2×6 piece on the bottom of each leg.  These will hold the bottom shelf in place and hold the casters once it is all built.  I used wood glue and 2 1/2″ wood screws to attach these to the bottom of each leg.  Here it is after I attached the frames to it…

Workshop Leg Base

Once I had all the legs built, I attached them to my frames.  The legs will line up on the outside of the bottom shelf frame, and on the inside of the top frame.  I used heavy duty 2.5″ torx screws on this part.  You can see them on the inside of my top frame.  I also used my drill to pre drill before attaching.

Now for the shelves! This is the heavy part…So I got my hubby to help me lift them up.  I used 3/4″ MDF for each shelf.  I had the nice guys at Home Depot cut it down for me.

Here are those measurements…

Bottom Shelf – 30″ x 66″

Top Piece – 36″ x 72″

Workbench Leg 3

I used my Ryobi Airstrike Nailer to attach both pieces of MDF.  I didn’t use glue on this part, because I want to be able to easily change out these pieces when they get too worn.

Ryobi Cordless Brad Nailer

That’s it!  My final step was adding the casters which I found at Northern Tool.  These are 5″ rubber locking casters.  I also gave the my frames and legs one fast coat of white paint and used my Corner Cat sander to distress them a bit… Every good workbench should be cute too, right??

Here’s the New Workbench all finished up!

How to build a workbench

DIY Workbench Shanty2Chic

Shanty2Chic DIY Workbench

DIY Workbench Plans

DIY Workbench

Did I mention I totally love it??  Just checking!  I built the whole thing for under $130.

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I would LOVE for you to pin and share my new workbench with all your friends!  Let me know if you have any questions at all!

1. Clifford B Samson on February 9, 2018 at 8:08 am

It would be handy if you could down load the plans, so you could take out to the shop with you .

• Kevin L. on March 1, 2018 at 8:40 am

You can download them from this page. That’s what I did.

2. Hardrock on January 30, 2018 at 6:54 am

I have made a few similar work benches. One I made the top and bottom hinged and used 2×6 in the framework. That way I had tons of storage for hardware like screws, nails and other items. In another bench I drilled a couple of 3 inch holes with a hole saw in strategic places in the top surface, so I could use wood clamps down through the top. I always include the mounting of at least one 2 foot long magnetic holder for some tools and a good quality power bar. On one bench I bought some plastic self contained drawer storage units that I mounted under the top giving me drawer space. The things you add help make it a total work center.

3. Cindy M on January 23, 2018 at 2:30 pm

I have built two smaller versions of the work bench and love them, now I am going to build this size for an assembly table.

4. Terry on September 24, 2017 at 5:35 am

Looks great to me. I am going over measurements in my mind. I would have thought that the base would have been 4″ less at 29′ and not 27″ ?? I am going to have a go at this and see what eventuates. Like the ideas of the 2″ overhang and even a backboard to be added.

5. Julia Moore on June 6, 2017 at 9:59 am

Is there a printable plan for this new workbench?

• Courtney on January 21, 2018 at 9:44 am

I have been looking for it too! If someone knows where we can get the PDF for this project please let me know.

6. Kevin McGoo on March 30, 2017 at 9:58 pm

I know this is an older post, but can someone describe how they mounted the 5″ block at the bottom of the bench and how the legs were attached at the bottom? Kind of wondering where I should be putting screws for the sturdiest design. Would love to see the bottom to see how these got mounted. And do the bottoms of the legs mount straight through same as the top in the picture?

7. Fotografia Sérgio Salgueiro on March 21, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Hi Shanty2Chic girls! Portuguese fan here! =) I’ve been following your work for a while now and I want to build this workbench to start my home woodshop. The problem is converting the US measurements into our metric system (cm or m), because I always end up with not even numbers (1 inch = 2,54 cm and so on..) and these doesn’t match with commercialy available wood sizes. Could you help me get the right measurements for this plans? Thank you so much and keep up inspiring us with your awesome works!!

8. Mike Kenig on May 25, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Nice simple plans for a great workbench! I made mine a little taller to match my table saw and also added a 2″ overhang on three sides for clamping. The fourth side I left flush so it still fits in front of the truck in the garage 🙂

9. jimgwilliam on March 7, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I’m about to start building mine tonight. Just got the lumber and the tools I need. Drafted up a quick model last night to make sure I’m all set.

10. Lavon Gittens on November 26, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Trying to find where you can print a copy of the plans.

Lavon

11. Nick Davenport on September 11, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Thanks for the plans! I just finished my build today and can’t wait to use it for the long list of other projects I have to get finished. Unfortunately, adding height was an afterthought, but I just doubled up the 5″ 2×6 pieces before attaching the casters.

12. Jerry Shouse on August 24, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Found your post on Pinterest.
    I just finished my workbench yesterday!
    Do we have to worry about the entire board of MDF absorbing water? or just the edges?
    I’ve read to seal the board with an oil based primer, but I wanted to double check.

13. Matthew Boston on July 13, 2015 at 8:38 am

What kind of torx screw did you use to attach the legs to the frame? Do you have a link to Amazon (or other website) maybe?

14. James on May 16, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for the plans. Here is how my workbench turned out

• Shanty2Chic on May 17, 2015 at 7:39 am

Looks perfect James!!! Way to go!

• Julie Godward on July 19, 2017 at 7:10 pm

hi, what kind of wood you used on this bench?, thanks

15. Brian on May 10, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for the great instructions. I followed them but chose to not add casters. I also added a backsplash with outlets.

16. James on May 6, 2015 at 7:08 am

How much does this bench weigh? How much are the casters ? Everywhere I look they are expensive

• ldahl264 on December 31, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Not sure about the weight but the red casters you see in many of the pictures run about $10 a piece.

17. David Vige on April 23, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Finished mine last night! Only change I made was adding 5″ to the legs to accommodate my 6′ 3″ height. Thanks for the inspiration!

18. Jeffrey Kwasnaza on April 7, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Plan to be making this bench by the weekend so I can start the long list of projects my wife has for me. Having the bench on wheels is a great idea when working with little space.

19. Jeff MacInnis on February 19, 2015 at 10:53 pm

I just built one of these. I made many mistakes and learned quite a bit. Thank you for a great site, I have learned a lot from
    it!