How to Build Easy DIY Floating Shelves!

Make your own Easy DIY Floating Shelves in about an hour! This simple woodworking project includes Free plans and a video tutorial.

This easy tutorial will show you how to build these easy DIY floating shelves. Just follow the free printable plans and how-to video by www.shanty-2-chic.com! I finally put use to a blank wall I have been staring at in my bathroom for far too long.  I am LOVING how it turned out! Check out our How to Build a Floating Shelf Video! Just click the play button below!

CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO THE FREE PRINTABLE PLANS
DIY Floating Shelf Tutorial
DIY Floating Shelves at Shanty2Chic

How fun are those??  I really wanted my shelves to be thick and beefy looking.  I also wanted them to be super sturdy in case a certain 2 year old decides to use them as a ladder.  It will happen.  This design does both!

Easy DIY Floating Shelves Tutorial and Plans

This is a great beginner project… Very simple cuts and assembly!  Let’s get started!

Supplies

Supply List for 3 Shelves

• 1 – 1″ x 10″ x 8′ pine boards or common boards
  • 2 – 2″ x 3″ x 8′ pine boards or common boards
  • 1/4″ hardwood plywood material – I bought a 4′ x 4′ sheet and had Home Depot rip mine into 9.25″ strips.
  • 3 – 1″ x 4″ x 6′ pine boards or common boards
  • brad nailer
  • Kreg Jig
  • 2.5″ pocket hole screws
  • 3.5″ torx or wood screws
  • Gorilla Wood Glue

Tools:

• Miter Saw
  • Drill
  • Kreg Jig

The cost of wood for all 3 shelves was around $45 making these bad boys $15 a piece for wood… Yup.  I love them even more now.

Step 1: Cut the Lumber

Start by making your cuts.  (Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE) Each shelf will have a frame that you will build first.  The back of the frame that is attached to your wall will be a 2×3 cut at 32″.  Then, each shelf will have 3 brackets that are each 7.75″ long.

Step 2: Drill Pocket Holes

Shelf Supports

I used my Kreg Jig pocket hole jig to add 1.5″ pocket holes on one end of each of the brackets.  This tool is the bomb.  It will make your projects so much easier to assemble and also make them much stronger.  If you are using the K3 or K4 model right now, I totally suggest checking out the K5.  I just upgraded to that one and LOVE every little thing about it!  Best thing ever.

Check it out HERE!

And watch our How to Use a Kreg Jig video HERE!

This is how I lined up the brackets to make the two pocket holes…

Kreg Jig

Step 3: Attach the Brackets

Next I attached my brackets using 2.5″ pocket hole screws.  I did add some Gorilla wood glue to each of the pieces of wood as well to make it extra sturdy.

Building a floating shelf

Step 4: Mounting the Shelf Support to the Wall

That’s it for the frames!  Now to bring them inside and attach them to your wall.  The first thing you will want to do is mark where your studs are.  The easiest way to do this is by using a stud finder.  This is the stud finder I use.
It’s a simple little tool that you run along the wall and it beeps when it finds a stud.

I held each frame up to the wall and marked on the frame where my studs would be.  Then I used my Ryobi drill to pre drill 2 holes where each stud lined up.  This keeps the wood from splitting when you attach it.

predrill floating shelf

You can use your drill on this next part, but I chose to use my impact driver.  Guys… This is like a drill that does all the work for you.  If you have a battery, the tool only costs $69 and you will be amazed at how often you use it over your drill for driving.

Ryobi Impact Driver

I chose to use 3 1/2″ torx screws to attach each of my frames.  You can also use wood screws.  Here it is after I attached it to the wall…

Floating Shelf How To

You can see where I drilled straight through the back of the frame and into the wall.

Mounting a floating shelf

Here they are all 3 up and ready to go!

Floating Shelves How to build

Step 5: Attaching the Top and Bottom Pieces

Next, I added my bottom 1/4″ hardwood plywood.  I had Home Depot rip my sheet down to 9.25″ strips and I cut each one at 32″.  I attached them to the base of the frame using wood glue and 1 1/4″ brad nails.  I used my cordless Ryobi AirStrike nailer on this part. Can I tell you how awesome cordless tools are… Especially for indoor projects like this one!  Saved me a ton of time and hassle.

Ryobi AirStrike Battery Nailer
Building the floating shelf

After adding that I moved to my top piece.  I used 1×10 board on this part.  Each one was cut 32″ long and I attached them using wood glue and 1 1/4″ brad nails with my nail gun.

DIY Floating Shelves How To

Step 6: Adding Trim to the DIY Floating Shelf

Your final step will be trimming it all out!  I used 1 x 4″ select pine on this part, but you can also use whitewood.  I love using whitewood because it is cheaper, but I had a hard time finding enough straight ones that day, so I went for the select.

Start by cutting your side pieces.  Mine were each 9 1/4″ long.  I attached them using 1 1/4″ brad nails and glue.

Sides of floating shelves

And now for the front of the shelf!  You will want to measure for exact on yours, but it will be somewhere around 33.5″ long.  I attached mine the same way using glue and brad nails.

Building the floating shelves

Step 7: Finishing the Floating Shelves

Once I had all 3 done I taped them off with painter’s tape and used wood filler to fill all of my nail holes.

How to build floating shelves

I used this wood stain to stain mine.  You can find this at Home Depot and I love it!  1 hour dry time just like Rust-Oleum that is carried elsewhere.  I actually find that it dries even faster than that.

Here they are drying!

DIY Floating Shelves Tutorial

You can keep them like this or distress yours like I did!  I used my Ryobi Corner Cat sander with, 120-grit sandpaper, to go over all my edges and corners.  This gives it a fun, vintage look.  I followed up with one coat of polyurethane to protect the finish. I like to say they look ‘shanty’ 😉

Step 8: How to Decorate Floating Shelves

I found all the cute baskets, towels and decor at HomeGoods!  LOVE that place… I always walk in for one thing, and out with many more.

DIY Floating Shelves
DIY Floating Shelves at Shanty2Chic
DIY Floating Shelf
DIY Chunky Floating Shelves
DIY Floating Shelf Tutorial
Easy Floating Shelf Tutorial

What do you think??  I love them!  I may make some for every room now 😉

I would LOVE for you to pin these Easy DIY Floating Shelves and share them with all your friends!  You guys are awesome!

Thanks so much!

Check Out Our Other Free DIY Floating Shelf Plans!

We have a ton of free shelf project plans! Which one will you build next?

4.5 from 2 votes

DIY Floating Shelves

This easy tutorial will show you how to build these DIY floating shelves. Just follow the free printable plans and how-to video. You can click the link below to download and print the full set of plans!
Keyword: diy floating shelve, free plans

Supply List

• 1 1x10x8 Pine or Whitewood
  • 2 2x3x8 Framing Lumber
  • 1 4’x4’x1/4″ Hardwood Plywood
  • 3 1x4x6′ Pine or Whitewood
  • 1 1/4″ Brad Nails
  • 2 1/2″ Pocket Hole Screws
  • 3 1/2″ Wood Screws
  • Wood Glue

Instructions

• Cut List
  • Screw the three 7 3/4″ pieces to the back 32″ piece.
  • Locate your wall studs and transfer the locations to the back piece. Predrill two holes at each stud location and use 3 1/2″ wood screws to attach the shelf to the wall.
  • Add the bottom 1/4″ plywood. this piece and the rest of the project will be attached with wood glue and brad nails.
  • Attach the top 1×10 shelf.
  • Attach the side 1×4 trim.
  • Attach the 1×4 front trim. Now you’re ready to tape off the walls, sand and finish.

1. Vicki DeJongh on September 9, 2021 at 2:03 pm

I’d like to build floating shelves above my washer and dryer which would be about 57″ wide. What’s the deepest I could I make these shelves and still have good support for craft containers?. Unfortunately I don’t have side wide support that’s why I’m considering floating shelves.

2. Paul Gendron on February 28, 2021 at 9:52 am

Why not use a French Cleat? Start by ripping a piece of 1×3 or 1×4 at 45 degrees 3″ shorter than the box you are building. Mount one section with the 45 Degree angle to the wall with the longer edge facing up and away from the wall. Build your 4 sided box. Attach the second cleat to the inside back of the box flush with the edge of the box with the 45 Degree angle to the box with longer edge facing down and away from the box. Put your shelf up and your done. The cleats will interlock.
    Since the cleats are shorter than the box, you will h have 3″ to slide the box to find the center.
    Remember, a picture is worth 1,000 words. I don’t have pictures so I have 1000 words instead.

3. Mylan Ross on October 15, 2020 at 3:11 pm

I noticed the video and the tutorial is different – is there one way that’s better than the other for : 1. beginner level 2. longer length shelf

Thanks!

4. charles on February 18, 2020 at 11:58 am

Why are the instructions different from the video? Also, the cut list is very hard to read when you enlarge it.

5. Chris on January 5, 2020 at 9:55 am

4 stars
    Really cool project. But the instructions do not match the video. Would be helpful to match these things up!!

6. Maddie on October 23, 2019 at 8:08 pm

5 stars
    This is AMAZING!!! These are perfect for my very 1st project WOOT. I just got my Kreg Jig and even tried it out today (success!). I’m pretty much going to be glued to your building plans for like the next decade cause I pretty much want to make everything. Wish me luck, going to purchase my lumber for these bad boys tomorrow!

7. Lynda on October 6, 2019 at 6:27 pm

How much weight do you think these would support? I’m thinking kitchen, cook books, vitamix storage, etc…

8. Sarah on April 5, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Hello, this post is a bit old so I don’t know if you’ll see this or not, but is there a reason you stained the wood after putting it up? Wouldn’t it be easier to stain it before?

9. Andy C on February 23, 2019 at 1:18 pm

While the idea of attaching all the boards and pieces to the frame seems plausible, it is not. This design method turned out to be very unrealistic. It causes endless gaps and fitting issues all over! Like all the other shelf projects from Shanty 2 Chic and elsewhere on the net, next time I’ll build the box first and slide over the frame. Great project overall but needs to be updated to fix this problem.

10. Kita on February 13, 2019 at 6:52 pm

This is awesome, girls! But I’m going right over to Amazon and buy these bad boys!! LOL!!!

11. Bev on February 2, 2019 at 7:47 am

Hi there,
    In your video for the floating shelves, one completed shelf shows a large decorative nail head on the front ends. Where do you find those?
    Thanks!

12. J Sned on December 2, 2018 at 2:21 pm

I LOVE these shelves!! I’m going to make my first ones these this week! But I only have 1 stud to attach to. My shelves will be over a toilet so not a lot of weight being put on the shelves. Is 1 stud enough or should I put anchors where there are no studs.

13. Zeek on October 23, 2018 at 9:24 am

Would the 1/4″ plywood for the bottom of the shelf not also need to be cut to 9.5″, like the 1×10’s come? Why 9.25? Great idea but curious on that part….

14. Amy E Luckett on September 12, 2018 at 6:27 pm

I love this idea! I am hoping to get started on this project soon. On a separate note, can you tell me where you got your curtains that are in this photo? The cream ones with the cute skirt at the bottom? Or are you also a master seamstress and made them too? 🙂 Thank you!

15. Joe on April 16, 2018 at 6:26 am

Beautiful job on these! I will definitely be making them since my wife wants some in our family room and half bath. One question, where did you get those awesome accessories to attach to the front of the shelves in your photos? I would like to add a custom touch like that. Thanks for posting the video and keep’em coming!

16. brendan on March 16, 2018 at 10:07 am

For the bottom of each shelf I would screw that piece of wood instead of nails and glue- that way you can easily rwmove the bottom of each shelf to access the screws to remove the shelves in case you want to paint/redecorate.

17. Renate on January 4, 2018 at 9:17 am

Some times its a pain in the ass to read what blog owners wrote but this site is
    very user genial!

18. Kenzi Foley on October 5, 2017 at 2:02 pm

So this plan makes 3, 3 foot shelves?

19. Emily on August 19, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I’m planning on building these bad boys this weekend, but had a couple questions. At no point did I read sanding (I might have missed it). Is there really no sanding involved in this? (I’d be excited!) And second, thank you for the recommendation on the stain – love how yours turned out, btw, but did you add any poly or anything over the stain?
    Thanks!

20. RSAB72 on June 16, 2016 at 8:52 am

I made these and they are great. I modified the plans by building the shelves completely less the bottom panel so I could sand and finish in my garage. Then I attached to the wall. I brad nailed the finished bottoms to the shelves after they were mounted to the wall and that’s that. I did not want to tape and finish in my bathroom so I could avoid any messes I was bound to make. Thanks for the plans. Only problem is now I have to build them for my parents / inlaws cuase they like them so much!

21. Amber on June 13, 2016 at 3:27 pm

It looks like the bottom will not be flush in the pic where you attached the finishing 1×4 boards to sides. Is is not supposed to be flush on bottom of shelves?

22. Kathy on May 1, 2016 at 10:34 am

What is the color of the stain you used on these?

23. Laura on April 27, 2016 at 10:44 am

Has anyone successfully anchored these to metal studs? If so, please let me know what type of anchors/screws you used. I am planning on using these for books…lots of books.

24. Jill on March 26, 2016 at 9:02 am

I have major question I hope you can answer very soon!!!!! I have my frames up with top and bottom on and have my side pieces cut and now realize I can’t fit my nailer between the wall and the shelf so I’m wondering how I’m going to attach the sides!!!! I see that your shelves were super close to that window so how did you do those sides? Or did you skip them?

25. Claudia sanchez on March 13, 2016 at 9:05 am

Turn out nice!

26. Claudia sanchez on March 13, 2016 at 9:03 am

Here are mine ????

27. Kim on March 2, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Love these shelves…can I ask how much room there is between the shelves??? the measurement between the bottom of one shelf to the top of the other?? Thanks so much!!!!

28. Ashley Lee Suhajda on January 20, 2016 at 7:30 am

Love love love all your projects. But I would love to know where you got the curtains?
    Thanks
    Ashley

29. Michelle Harmond on November 27, 2015 at 11:39 am

Another option is to stop construction at this point — with some modifictions… Have the 2x4s on the ends extend the whole way back to wall and back 2×4 butt into them. Put nice pine on top and botton and you have an open floating shelf great for under a TV for remote controls or magazines or use 2x6s and place components in open cavities. Thanks for ideas.

30. Martha Torres-Santiago on November 12, 2015 at 10:18 am

Hi, after visiting this site, I wanted to do something extreme and because of this, this is the outcome, before and after and I just love it. thank you.

31. Ben Kelchner on October 28, 2015 at 2:38 pm

How strong do you think this is? I am planning on storing books on the shelf and am wondering if I should add some metal L brackets inside to prevent them from sagging and weakening over time.

Thanks

32. Kristen Core White on October 23, 2015 at 11:59 am

Love them! Not sure if you’ll reply as this is an old post, but how much weight to they support? I’d like to put a small microwave on them, but I don’t know if I would need additional support. Thanks!

33. Myrthe on October 19, 2015 at 6:27 pm

I love love love love them!! Used the plan to make 10ft shelves in my study. Everyone is impressed. Thank you so much !

• Ben Kelchner on October 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm

did you store books on them? I am also making 10ft shelves in my study and would love any tips.

• Myrthe on October 28, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Hi!

Yeah so i decided to alter it a little, since they’re 10ft long I wanted them to be a little wider so I can store large folders on there. I used a 10ft 2×4 for the frame (wall + support ) and I used 7 of these (20 inch apart from each other) and attached the frame to the studs. Then used a thicker plywood for the top and a thinner one for the bottom (since this is only to cover the frame and the top simply needs to hold more weight). I used a 1by 5 for the front and this fits perfectly hides the frame + 2 layers of plywood.

I hope this makes sense at all.
        Couple things
        – mark on your 10ft 2×4 where the studs are in the wall to ensure you’re not placing a support on that exact spot. So attach the 10ft 2×4 to as many studs as you can to make sure it will hold the weight of the books.
        – since mine ran from wall to wall I didn’t need the boards on the side since this didn’t need to look nice (because you’re not able to see it, druggy captain obvious)

Let me know if you have any questions

• Myrthe on October 28, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Here is a picture with the frame + the top attached

• Myrthe on October 28, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Here it is with top, bottom and front

• Myrthe on October 28, 2015 at 6:10 pm

And the finished product !

34. David McNulty on August 2, 2015 at 7:20 am

Terrific idea but how about using reclaimed lumber? It costs a little more but the material has old character and reduces landfill You don’t have to stain it either. The natural patina of the aged material offers a variety of colors. Apply a small amount of satin polyurethane to seal the wood and you’re done! Always a beautiful look. Here is a mantle and some kitchen shelving I created using reclaimed wood.

• Shanty2Chic on August 2, 2015 at 7:22 am

That’s awesome! We would totally use reclaimed lumber if it were easy to come by where we live. We have 8 kids between us so it’s faster to go the hardware store. All of our projects can be built with reclaimed lumber! Thanks!

35. Erin Simoneaux on July 7, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I love these. What is the distance between each shelf? Thanks!

36. Mischka Fridman on May 20, 2015 at 6:46 am

Hey, I love the idea and I would totally try to make this a long shelf under my TV. Is it possible for you to convert the measurements to cm? As I’m in Germany it’ll be quite a challenge to get these measurements right in the store 🙂
    That would be great!

• Shanty2Chic on May 20, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Thank you! You should be able to use a conversion calculator online!

37. Carol on May 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Made three shelves, modifying the sizes to fit our kitchen….and they turned out fantastic! Love them. Thanks so much.

38. Katelin Sabbah on March 30, 2015 at 5:43 pm

How would I take them down if I wanted them in my new home? And also, am I limited to short shelves or can I make them longer? Like 7-8′? Would they be ok still?

• Brian Trezise on November 23, 2015 at 9:58 am

They’re so easy to make, leave them and build new ones to fit the new location. They’ll add value to the house you’re selling, too

39. Zoe Creane on February 20, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I want to make floating shelves that aren’t so thick, and also possibly slightly more simple. Any tips?

• Brian Trezise on November 23, 2015 at 9:59 am

Not going to get much simpler than this. You could use thinner wood but you’re going to reduce the strength so you wouldn’t want to make the shelves as deep to compensate

40. Angela L on February 19, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Did you use a polyurethane? If so, what kind? We just finished these, and I love the way they look. I fear a poly will put too much shine on them. Then again, do I need to better protect the wood since it’s in the bathroom?

• Angela L on February 19, 2015 at 10:03 pm

I finally found your answer. Since quite a bit of time has passed. How have they held up without a poly?

41. Ais on February 6, 2015 at 10:19 am

Lately I have an obsession with floating shelves. I really would love a set in my bathroom. Thanks for sharing 🙂

42. Holly Frey Haas on February 4, 2015 at 12:06 pm

How far apart are these shelves frames set?

43. Holly Frey Haas on January 31, 2015 at 11:12 am

I have the same question as Amanda Christianson about the measurements.???

• Shanty2Chic on January 31, 2015 at 11:21 am

The actual width of a 1×10 is 9.25″. They are called 1×10 but they are not actually 10″ wide. Hope this helps.

• Holly Frey Haas on January 31, 2015 at 11:35 am

Yes it does. Thank you so much!!

44. Amanda Christensen on January 30, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I love these shelves but I have a few questions. I notice you said the bottom panel was 9.25″ but the top was 10″, how does that match up? Also, what is the total depth of the shelf, I’m guessing the width is 33.5″? Is it 11″ d? Thank you so much for your help

• Holly Frey Haas on January 31, 2015 at 11:28 am

Hi Amanda, I was wondering the same thing about the bottom and the side trim only being 9.25″ and the top board being 10″. It shows the front trim board being flush with the whole shelf and not sitting under the10″ top board. Did you ever get a response ? I don’t see one.?

• Amanda Christensen on February 1, 2015 at 6:26 pm

So I figured out when I went to Home Depot today! So the 1×10 isn’t truly 10 inches when you buy it in the store so 9.25 is pretty close to matching the 1×10. However, I just had the guy at Home Depot measure the 1×10 and get the plywood to measure whatever the 1×10 was so I would have adequate depths. It all worked out!

45. Monica on January 1, 2015 at 9:12 am

I stumbled upon this page when I was searching pintrest for bathroom ideas. I realize the post is over a year old, but may I ask where you got your curtains? The curtains and shelves would be perfect for my bathroom. Looks fantastic!

46. Machelle on December 13, 2014 at 10:05 am

I have scoured your blog to try to find the paint color of this bathroom and can’t find it anywhere. Could you please let me know? Thanks 🙂

47. Machelle on December 13, 2014 at 9:59 am

48. Kelly on November 19, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Hello, I am a New but faithful follower! Love your stuff! I was wondering if you made your bathroom curtains or did you buy them? Adorable!!!

49. Bren on October 22, 2014 at 5:58 am

Love the shelves and the whole room. Are your walls paneling or are they textured? It all blends together so well. 🙂

50. Bren on October 19, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Love it! Great job. Will have to try making them this week. I have to ask about your walls. lol I’m in the middle of fixing old drywall that has to be textured painted, and wondered if yours are paned or textured with spackle, etc…? It would save me from “finishing” this drywall.

• Cameron Miller on February 13, 2015 at 12:26 am

It’s venetian plaster. A drywall finishing technique.

51. Jenn on September 19, 2014 at 5:49 am

Love the look of your bathroom. I couldn’t find a reply to the questions about the paint color and curtains. Did you make those curtains? What is the name of the paint color?

52. Mccorygal on August 8, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Could you tell me the name if the paint on your wall? I love it

53. Mccorygal on August 7, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Love your entire bathroom! Can you tell me what color your walls are?

54. Lisa on July 23, 2014 at 10:47 am

Thank you for your tutorial, I love these shelves and would like to build them. I was wondering if the cuts you stated are accurate before I start on this project. If the top of the shelve is 1x10x32 and the bottom shelf is 1/4×9.25×32 won’t there be an extra .75″ hanging from the top shelf…since the top shelf is 10 inches in width and the bottom shelve is 9.25 inches in width I would think they wouldn’t be flush when applying the front trim. Does it somehow work out with these measurements? Or is the top shelf ripped to 9.25″ instead of 10″?

• Cari on July 27, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Lisa, a 1×10 is actually only 9 1/4 inches wide. Just as a 1×4 is
      actually only 3 1/2 inches wide. If you google “lumber dimensions”
      you’ll be able to find several charts that will give you the Nominal and Actual thicknesses and widths of lumber. So for this project, the 1 x 10 on the top and the board ripped at 9 1/4 on the bottom, are a perfect match! Build away!

• Lisa on July 28, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Can you tell this is my first building project. I am very excited to build these and had no idea about the actual lumbar thickness, I wanted to make sure it would all work out before buying the lumbar and making the cuts. thank you for you help, wish me luck 😉

55. Usher on July 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Hi I Love the shelves- how do I go about making a 41.5 inches wide shelves instead. I m not a handyman and my wife wants me to make them for her. Thank you.

56. Creya on June 25, 2014 at 9:54 am

Is there a way to remove them without having to destroy them?

• JB on June 27, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I was wondering the same thing….Id rather attach the bottom with small head countersunk screws to be able to more easily remove the bottom to take them down or move them.

• Stephanie on June 23, 2017 at 9:24 am

After screwing the base piece with its supports to the wall, the rest of the shelf should be built as one piece and slid over the supports. I built myself a similar shelf but with crown moulding and it just covers and sits on the wall supports.

I really don’t think it’s a good idea to build the entire piece to the wall. It should be easily removable without destroying the piece or the wall. It looks beautiful though and I’ll be using this as a template to make my own.

57. Meg on June 1, 2014 at 8:42 am

I really want to do something like this in my kitchen. I have a huge, long blank wall, and very little storage. My problem is I don’t have all these tools. Does anyone know how much of this can be done by Lowe’s/Home Depot? I have a drill, but no Jig and no staple gun.

58. cdcd33 on May 6, 2014 at 3:06 am

Love what you’ve done and it’s inspired me to do something similar in my closets. My question is how did you deal with seams and nail/screw holes? I’ve been testing with various “stainable” wood filers and the results have been pretty “meh.” Would love to know what worked for you.

59. mikenice on March 31, 2014 at 6:41 am

How much weight do you think these can hold? I modified the design a bit and instead of doing the toe screwing I countersunk some holes and put 3 inch long deck screws through the backing that attaches to the wall.

60. Brittney Adams-Vivian on February 17, 2014 at 7:56 am

Could you do this with 2×2’s and 3/4 plywood. I have a hard time finding 2×3’s and was thinking of doing a narrower profile for the shelf?

• mikenice on March 31, 2014 at 6:42 am

same here, however you can find regular old 2×3 framing studs for 1.50 at home depot. biggest problem i had was finding some that were in good condition. 2×2 are a good idea too. was going to try that. that will allow a thicker bottom to be attached too.

61. JessB on February 16, 2014 at 3:37 am

I don’t want to attach it directly to the wall so I might try using a french cleat system. Thanks for the great ideas!

62. Niki Kriete on February 10, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Ack! Just built these and got to the part where I put the trim pieces on and realized you used 2×3’s and I used 2×4’s…didn’t read the plans close enough… Now I have to figure out how to finish them since nobody makes 1×5’s and I hate ripping wood… Any suggestions? Is there some kind of trim I could add to fill in the extra space? I had planned on doing. A vinegar/steel wool finish on them, but now I don’t know what to do..

63. Niki Kriete on February 10, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Ack! Loved these, but started building them before reading the instructions closely. I assumed you used 2×4’s for the frame, not 2×3’s. I don’t even think I have ever seen 2×3’s anywhere around here… I got to the part where you attach the trim on the edge and realized my trim was too small… Hope I can find some 1×5’s around here somewhere so I can finish this 🙁 might just finish with some pallet wood…

64. Brittany Meek on February 8, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I loved the shelves and knew I needed some for myself! I ripped out some ugly, old cabinets in my laundry room and built these (in 14* temps with snow on the workbench)! I absolutely love them and they are so much prettier than what I had before. Thanks for the great plans!

65. Donna Hurst on February 3, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I was inspired. This is the first actual building project I have done. It was extremely trying as our house is over 60 years old and was moved from one lot to another. Plumb, level and square are not really on the menu around here. LOL!

• Marie Roxanne on September 20, 2014 at 10:18 am

That looks awesome! Great job!

66. Caitlin on January 29, 2014 at 3:05 pm

This is great! I was looking for something just like this, a simple, DIY floating shelve idea. The price is great too! Thanks!

• Angela on October 17, 2020 at 1:44 pm

I am putting some floating shelves up for someone that has a bay square window from kitchen to living. Should I put up shelves to surround on both sides or should I do shelves like yours on one side and then something else like pictures on the other. The couches will sit below the left side of the window. Please help. Thank you. Love all you guys do!

67. Paige Bean on January 14, 2014 at 10:41 am

I LOVE these shelves. They are perfect for the space above the jacuzzi in my bathroom. Unlike your bathroom however, my shower is on the other side of my jacuzzi separated by a small wall. Am I in danger of hitting any pipes for the shower if I attempt to put these on that wall?
    Thanks!

• Cameron Miller on February 13, 2015 at 12:28 am

How would any of us know?

• sis2 on August 18, 2016 at 11:07 am

Depends. You are anchoring these into studs. If you have plumbing that runs through the studs, then I guess you could hit a pipe. However, I don’t know how often plumbing runs through studs it at all.

68. Chelsie on January 12, 2014 at 10:08 am

I absolutely love this room! Can I ask if you homeade your curtains or if you purchased them at a store?

• Marcia Brzezinski on January 19, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Great to see that woodprix has new instructions to save my money and energy to build it.

• Dwayne Johnson Instagram on September 27, 2017 at 7:26 pm

I agree with you.

69. Jana on January 11, 2014 at 6:57 pm

THANK you so much for this! This is exactly what I have been looking for! I just bought the Kreg Jig and can’t wait to get started. This will be my first project and if all goes well the Pottery Barn inspired console is next! My husband thinks I’m crazy!

• Shanty2Chic on January 12, 2014 at 6:27 am

Haha! Mine did too at first… Now he knows better! He doesn’t complain that I am saving him a ton of money now 😉 Send pics when you get it all done!

70. Barbara Moore on January 9, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Love the shelves! Now….what’s on the opposite wall? I also have two empty walls on either side of the tub with the big window across the back. I love the look of the shelves on the left so much, but don’t know what to do on the opposite wall, if anything. I’m a bit obsessive about the symmetry thing…..

• Shanty2Chic on January 12, 2014 at 6:28 am

Hey Barbera! It’s actually the glass wall of my shower… So, I don’t have the same issue as you. If you go with shelves on one wall, I would stick to something big and as flat as possible on the other. Like wall art, maybe a pallet sign. Just thinking out loud… Hope this helps!

71. Leslie Stewart on January 9, 2014 at 6:28 am

They are awesome! Thanks for the great tutorial too. Maybe I could even do that…
    Leslie
    House on the Way

• Shanty2Chic on January 12, 2014 at 6:29 am

You totally can Leslie! Thanks for the sweet message!

72. Kate on January 9, 2014 at 4:47 am

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    If I can pick your brain for a sec? I am looking at getting a Kreg Jig in the next month or two and didnt even know they had a new one out … What are the main differences between the K4 and the K5? Do you think the K4 would be enough for a relative beginner like me?
    {I’m in Australia and can’t find one here so would be getting one shipped over 🙂 }

• eesh on January 9, 2014 at 10:35 am

I have the K4 but I would recommend you get the K5 especially if you’re getting it shipped from so far. It’s an update to the K4 and has space on the sides of the unit to store your screws (which also help to keep wider stock level with the unit as you’re drilling into the wood) it also has an easier way of clamping to the workbench and clamping your wood to the unit. I think you’d be much happier with these features as they really are designed to make it even easier to use.

• Kate on January 11, 2014 at 2:18 am

Thank you eesh!
        I have since found a K4 stockist here in Oz … but they dont have the K5.
        So now I need to toss up whether the extra $ for shipping is worth it! …decisions, decisions lol 😉

• eesh on January 11, 2014 at 11:30 am

If you really don’t want to pay extra shipping then I say go ahead and get the K4. You won’t know what you’re missing with the upgrades! Also keep in mind that many of the great things that have been built by the lovely Shanty sisters and Ana White were built using the K4 or lower systems. Hope that helps!

• Kate on January 12, 2014 at 8:33 am

Thanks so much for all your help eesh 🙂
            I looked into it a bit more today and the decision has been taken out of my hands as I can’t find anyone in the US who will ship the K5 to me haha
            … So K4 from local stockist it is then 🙂 Thanks again!

• eesh on January 12, 2014 at 7:17 pm

No problem! You won’t regret it! (I built that TV stand in my avatar with the K4 and it’s still my favorite piece)

• Shanty2Chic on January 12, 2014 at 6:29 am

I second all of eesh’s replies! Took the words out of my mouth! 🙂

• Kate on January 12, 2014 at 8:34 am

Thanks heaps! I appreciate the replies from both of you 🙂

73. Greisy Wardsworth on January 8, 2014 at 10:32 pm

WOW WOW WOW I LOVE

74. Shanty2Chic on January 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Super cute! Thanks for sharing!

75. Jennifer Leible on January 8, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I LOVE these shelves!! Do you use a polyacrylic/polyurethane or finishing paste wax on it to give it a protective finish? Or just the stain and distressing?

• Shanty2Chic on January 8, 2014 at 8:48 pm

It really depends on the project Jennifer… If I am doing a table or a desk, or a surface that my kids may touch I like to finish with Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane. These are so high and already distressed, so I chose not to. Hope this helps! 🙂

• Jennifer Leible on January 9, 2014 at 8:39 am

Thank you! That definitely helps! Not “finishing” a wood surface is a little scary for me but I love the look it gives! Thanks, love your blog and your projects!

76. Terry McMullen on January 8, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Love you shelves!! They look wonderful in your bathroom! Perfect finish to match your tiles. You did great!

77. Lisa on January 8, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Floating shelves like this are nothing new, but I really like the way you built them. Putting the pieces to the frame one at a time is great. Usually you make a four-sided sleeve to fit over the frame. I like your way better because you can do exact measurements for every step.

• Shanty2Chic on January 8, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Thanks Lisa… I was going for the ‘easy and cheap’ way like I usually do 🙂 !

78. Karen May on January 8, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I love those shelves! So cute but so sturdy. I also love, love your molding on the door and window AND your cute curtains! Such a pretty bathroom. Can I ask did you do your molding yourself? If so, was it all one piece or did you use multiple pieces? Thanks and you are amazing!

79. Kim on January 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Love these shelves,and I love your curtains and tile.

80. SIMONE PLACE on January 8, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Gorgeous! You are amazing!

• Shanty2Chic on January 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Aww thanks… Made me smile! 🙂

81. Sarah Yeager on January 8, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I love your style of decor and diy!! I’m building a new house right now, and am stalking your blog with ideas to decorate! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

• Shanty2Chic on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Oh yeah!! So fun! We love getting messages like this… Congrats on your new house and thanks so much!!

82. Linda Crandall on January 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Love them! I did these in our wine room a few months back! Great job.

• Shanty2Chic on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Fun Linda!! I like the sound of a wine room 😉

83. Caitlin @ Desert Domicile on January 8, 2014 at 11:47 am

I love your shelves! I did something similar if you want to check it out! http://www.desertdomicile.com/2013/04/diy-chunky-wooden-floating-shelves.html

84. eesh on January 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

Wonderful! I was just thinking to make these removable you could also nail the trim and the top together first. Then slide it on to the support and counter sink some screws along the back and sides of the top board to screw into the supports, if that makes sense.

• Shanty2Chic on January 8, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Good thought! Mine are totally removable… Just won’t stay in tact when I do 🙂

85. [email protected] on January 8, 2014 at 9:30 am

LOVE THESE!! My husband and I have built a lot of what you all have posted and are always so excited to see what ideas you come up with next! We will definitely have to find a place for these! (Maybe in our office!) Where do you get those flowers on the top shelf? I see them a lot in your decor! Thanks!!!

• Shanty2Chic on January 8, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Thank you so much! What a sweet message 🙂 I got those flowers at Michael’s… They are part of their Ashland Fall collection. Hope this helps and thanks again!

• photos on May 27, 2017 at 4:38 pm

I have a full tutorial here, and we also have FREE plans that you can download or print by clicking the button below!