DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case

I am just slightly excited about this DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case I am sharing today.  Ok, just kidding.  I’m giddy!  I shared a little sneak peek on INSTAGRAM last week, and I am so happy to finally reveal the whole thing!  I have imagined it in my head, and the results are even better than I was hoping.  I have always wanted a full length mirror.  It makes checking out the final outfit before heading out the door so much easier than using the reflection of my glass shower door or my blank computer screen 😉  I thought it would be so great to add some function to this new mirror.  May as well kill two birds with one stone! I decided to build a big storage case behind the mirror to hold all my goodies and I am LOVING the results!  Here is how it turned out!

DIY Bathroom Storage Cabinet

DIY Bathroom Organization

How fun is that guys?  Who doesn’t love a some beautiful function in their bathroom?? I DO!  I will walk you through the entire build below, and you can also download the FREE printable plans HERE or by clicking the button below!

DIY Bathroom Storage Cabinet Free Plans

Let’s get started!

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – Supply List

2 – 1 x 6 x 8 pine or whitewood boards

4 – 1 x 4 x 8 pine or whitewood boards

1/4″ hardwood plywood cut to 19″ x 63″

Full Length beveled mirror (found at Home Depot)

3M Stainable Wood Filler

ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

3M Advanced Abrasives 120 grit sanding paper

3m safety glasses

4 decorative hinges

1 pull or knob

magnet closures

wood stain of your color choice

I bought all the supplies and wood for this project for under $100.

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – mirror door

I started by building out the mirrored door.  I used this great mirror I found at Home Depot for $25.  I love it because it is beveled and it’s also a great quality mirror.  It won’t give you the whole clown house distorted view when you look into it as some of the cheaper full length mirrors will.  This project is done off the specs of this mirror.  If you choose to use a different one, you will need to fix your measurements to fit it.

Home Depot Full Length Mirror

I started with my 1×4 hardwood plywood back.  I had the nice guys at Home Depot cut mine down for me.

How to make a bathroom organizer

Next, I cut my wood for the frame.  I used 1×4 pine boards for this part.  You can also use whitewood to save money, but make sure it is straight! Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

3m safety gear

Wood Bathroom Mirror

Next, I used my Kreg Jig to make 3/4″ pocket holes in each end of my 16″ pieces.

Kreg Jig K5

Wood Mirror Measurements

Check out our How to Use a Kreg Jig Video HERE

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – Sanding

Before attaching all of my pieces I like to use a sanding pad to quickly remove the splinters on the edges.  This paper works great because I can keep it in my pocket and pull it out as I need it quickly… Perfect before attaching your boards!

3m abrasives sand paper

3m sanding paper

I attached my 16″ pieces to my 67″ pieces using 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

pocket hole screws for Kreg Jig

After attaching both ends, my frame looked like this…

Measurements for DIY Mirror Bathroom Case

Next, I added some wood glue to the frame and attached it down on my 1/4″ hardwood plywood.

How to add trim to mirror

I used my Ryobi cordless stapler to attach it from the back.

Ryobi AirStrike Stapler

After building out the door, I moved onto the frame of the case.

For this part, I used 1×6 pine boards.  I cut two pieces at  23 1/8″ and two pieces at 68 3/4″.  Again, I added 3/4″ pocket holes to my shorter boards.

frame measurements

I used my Kreg Right Angle Clamp to hold everything together while I attached it using 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

Kreg Right Angle Clamp

building a bathroom cabinet

Next, I added my top and bottom braces.   These were the same length as my shelf pieces, so I cut seven 1×4 pieces at 23 1/8″ each.

shelf pieces

These will be used to attach the cabinet to the wall.  You can see here where I added pocket holes to these boards before I attached them.  This is a shot of the back.  These brace pieces will sit flush with the back of the cabinet.

back of bathroom cabinet

Now, it should look a bit like this…

Bathroom cabinet frame

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – Time for the shelves!

I added 3/4″ pocket holes to each piece.  You can attach yours wherever you would like, but here is where I attached mine for your reference.

Shelf Placement

Before moving on, I filled all of my pocket holes with wood filler.

3M-Wood-Filler

I filled each hole and then used a scraper to flatten it out.

Scraper for Wood Putty

This wood filler is stainable, and I prefer using it over the plugs on holes like these.  This covers them well enough, and it’s also very easy to do.  Once the putty dries, I use the sanding pad to go back over it again.

Putty for pocket hole

That’s it for the build!

I stopped here and stained everything using Varathane stain from Home Depot in Dark Walnut.  I love this stuff!

After the stain completely dried, I attached my mirror to the door.  I used this mirror adhesive I found at Home Depot to attach it.  I just ran a thin bead on the back side of the mirror all around.  Then, I laid it on the door and used tape to hold everything in place.

Frame out a mirror

My final step was attaching it to the wall.  I used a stud finder to find my studs in the wall and marked on my frame where the studs would be.  I then used 3″ torx or wood screws to go through my braces and into the wall attaching to the stud.  I did pre drill before going through the brace pieces to keep the wood from splitting.

Hanging a bathroom shelf

I also added 2 to the bottom brace piece.

Hanging the bathroom shelf

I made sure everything was level before attaching the door…

Hanging the bathroom cabinet

To attach my door, I used two clamps to hold the door in place while I added my hinges.  I attached the hinges to the door first and then the frame.

clamp the mirror

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – Hinges

How cute are these hinges I found at Home Depot!

Cute furniture hinge from Home Depot

My final step was adding some magnet closures and my pull to the front.  These just screw into place… Super easy!

magnet closure

pulls from home depot

And here she is all finished up!

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case

A little shot of the goodness inside…

Organize your rubberbands

I used 3m Command strip hooks to hold my rubber bands and also for my curling and flat iron below.

DIY Bathroom Organizer

And these are those great SnapWare containers I use in my pantry for this shelf!  These are great because they won’t break if they ever do get dropped.  5 kids… It could happen 😉

Bathroom Organizer

What do you think??

DIY Bathroom Storage

DIY Bathroom Storage Cabinet

I personally LOVE everything about it!  I finally have a full length mirror, and a ton of storage at the same time.  Can’t beat it!  I would LOVE for you to share and PIN my storage case with all your friends!

Happy Building!

1. Shelly Ayers on November 18, 2014 at 11:42 am

Excellent instructions – Thanks for the site, love it!! Mine is only 42″ x 23″ though to accommodate where I needed to put it, we don’t have a full length wall to put a bigger one. This held everything from our old cabinet, plus everything under the sink!

• Cindy Laramee StGermain on January 3, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Shelly, I love your cabinet. The size is perfect, that is exactly what I am looking for. The door looks textured, what did you use for your door? Thanks

• Shelly Ayers on January 4, 2015 at 12:17 am

It’s not textured, but I used a piece of beadboard instead of the mirror.

• Cindy Laramee StGermain on January 4, 2015 at 11:28 am

ok, thanks. I think I might try to save this pic and make this one. You did a great job.

2. Adrienne Legath Livingston on November 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Do you have to use the kreg jig for this or can you just make regular holes and use wood filler to cover them? I can’t wait to get started!

• Larry Hare on March 10, 2017 at 8:30 am

Since it’s an ad for Kregg, no.

3. wood butcher on August 23, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Making one for my daughter. You did great! Your instructions were perfect. I did a rabbit on my door to inset the mirror then added picture clips to hold it in place. If the mirror ever gets broke its easy replace. You did a very nice job.

• Shanty2Chic on August 23, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Thanks so much! That’s a great idea… So happy the plans worked well for you!

4. Jennifer on July 22, 2014 at 10:35 pm

What tools do I need for this project in particular and what is a good list of tools to have for most shanty2chic projects? I am a DIY beginner. Thanks.

5. slmkenn on July 21, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Love it! My daughter and I are excited …. thinking of adding screws beneath the shelves for necklaces/bracelets – more to the inside of door for scarves/headbands … cute little bowls/boxes on the shelves for earrings, rings, pins, etc. Still plenty of room for makeup, perfumes, lotions & hair products! Genius! No more counter clutter!

6. Kara on July 21, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I LOVE this!!! This would offer the perfect solution in my master bathroom!! Did you have to lose access to the drawer that is right next to it or are you still able to pull it out?

• Kali Amen on May 14, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I was wondering about that myself. It appears that the drawer can’t open fully.

7. jacki owens on June 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I was thinking about doing this using an old door with frame.

8. ingram1225 on May 28, 2014 at 1:05 pm

also, can you list all the tools you used? I’ve been interested in a KREG system for a while now, wanting to build shelves for my living room so I am familiar with the product.

9. ingram1225 on May 28, 2014 at 1:02 pm

well done… and thank you for making a comment on that “other” diy site that took your idea (and pictures)… if it wasnt for your comment, I would not have found this page.

What prevented you from putting the new cabinet inside the wall? I like designs that flow evenly with everything else, and having a shelf like this sticking out is an eye sore. Although, putting it horizontally may actually add value to the room but you lose out on the full length mirror… thus going back to a flush mounted cabinet to make things work. Thoughts?

10. Genene on April 19, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I live in an apartment but I could really use something like this, do you think it would be stable enough to place on the floor vs it being wall mounted?

• KenH on January 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm

If I were to use this as a free standing cabinet, I would attach an L shaped metal strip to the top of the cabinet and to the wall at a wall stud.

11. mschmidt48 on April 16, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Impressive! Great easy to understand fabricating instructions.

12. Samantha Velez on April 14, 2014 at 4:37 pm

This DIY project looks fantastic. I can’t believe it’s homemade. I’m always looking for ways to increase storage space in the bathroom. This really looks store bought; great work. I bet the mirror makes the room feel bigger as well.

13. Ali on March 30, 2014 at 10:32 pm

What about on an unused metal door? We practically never use it and it’s really the only space we have however I’m not sure it would hold properly

14. Amber on March 30, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for the awesome instructions! Just finished tonight! Perfect for the license plates!

• Carr Cheryl Beavers on April 16, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Love it

• Shanty2Chic on August 3, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I just saw this… AWESOME!!!

• Creek Tilghman on July 2, 2017 at 10:03 am

If you want you can learn from woodprix woodworking plans how to make it yourself.

15. James R. on March 26, 2014 at 4:38 am

you did Great!! Looks awesome!! hubby should be proud. 🙂

16. Meagan Kyle on March 16, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I love this and the jewelry organizer…and all of your other projects! 😉 I am a renter so my question is how easy would this be to move? Thanks ladies!

17. Nicole King on March 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I don’t understand this. I can see the mirror on the door, but where is the storage for the mirrors?

• Jen on March 15, 2014 at 11:45 pm

it was mounted to the `1/4″ backer board earlier on, then she used a finish nailer to attach it to the frame.

• Jason Peres on October 16, 2014 at 8:50 am

Actually Jen , the mirror was the last thing she attached to the door with adhesive.

• Jen on October 16, 2014 at 9:04 am

I was talking about the “storage” for the mirrors like she asked, not the actual mirror part 🙂 I understood “storage for mirror” to be referencing the backer board that that she attached with the glue and finish nailer. 🙂 I could be wrong about what the question was referencing though

18. Katie @ Addicted 2 DIY on March 4, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I absolutely love this! I have been wanting a full-length mirror, but I desperately need extra bathroom storage as well. We seriously have not a single closet in our house except bedroom closets. This is on my list of projects when we gut our master bathroom and remodel it!

19. denise designed on February 18, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Love this. I have had a vision on what I wanted, but now I can see what it the end result would look like and have the tutorial to help.

20. Earl Patterson on February 17, 2014 at 9:16 am

I think it will make great gift for my mother. I remember she whine about not have enough storage in bathroom