DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case

I am just slightly excited about this DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case I am sharing today.  Ok, just kidding.  I’m giddy!  I shared a little sneak peek on INSTAGRAM last week, and I am so happy to finally reveal the whole thing!  I have imagined it in my head, and the results are even better than I was hoping.  I have always wanted a full length mirror.  It makes checking out the final outfit before heading out the door so much easier than using the reflection of my glass shower door or my blank computer screen 😉  I thought it would be so great to add some function to this new mirror.  May as well kill two birds with one stone! I decided to build a big storage case behind the mirror to hold all my goodies and I am LOVING the results!  Here is how it turned out!

DIY Bathroom Storage Cabinet

DIY Bathroom Organization

How fun is that guys?  Who doesn’t love a some beautiful function in their bathroom?? I DO!  I will walk you through the entire build below, and you can also download the FREE printable plans HERE or by clicking the button below!

DIY Bathroom Storage Cabinet Free Plans

Let’s get started!

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – Supply List

2 – 1 x 6 x 8 pine or whitewood boards

4 – 1 x 4 x 8 pine or whitewood boards

1/4″ hardwood plywood cut to 19″ x 63″

Full Length beveled mirror (found at Home Depot)

3M Stainable Wood Filler

ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

3M Advanced Abrasives 120 grit sanding paper

3m safety glasses

4 decorative hinges

1 pull or knob

magnet closures

wood stain of your color choice

I bought all the supplies and wood for this project for under $100.

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – mirror door

I started by building out the mirrored door.  I used this great mirror I found at Home Depot for $25.  I love it because it is beveled and it’s also a great quality mirror.  It won’t give you the whole clown house distorted view when you look into it as some of the cheaper full length mirrors will.  This project is done off the specs of this mirror.  If you choose to use a different one, you will need to fix your measurements to fit it.

Home Depot Full Length Mirror

I started with my 1×4 hardwood plywood back.  I had the nice guys at Home Depot cut mine down for me.

How to make a bathroom organizer

Next, I cut my wood for the frame.  I used 1×4 pine boards for this part.  You can also use whitewood to save money, but make sure it is straight! Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

3m safety gear

Wood Bathroom Mirror

Next, I used my Kreg Jig to make 3/4″ pocket holes in each end of my 16″ pieces.

Kreg Jig K5

Wood Mirror Measurements

Check out our How to Use a Kreg Jig Video HERE

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – Sanding

Before attaching all of my pieces I like to use a sanding pad to quickly remove the splinters on the edges.  This paper works great because I can keep it in my pocket and pull it out as I need it quickly… Perfect before attaching your boards!

3m abrasives sand paper

3m sanding paper

I attached my 16″ pieces to my 67″ pieces using 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

pocket hole screws for Kreg Jig

After attaching both ends, my frame looked like this…

Measurements for DIY Mirror Bathroom Case

Next, I added some wood glue to the frame and attached it down on my 1/4″ hardwood plywood.

How to add trim to mirror

I used my Ryobi cordless stapler to attach it from the back.

Ryobi AirStrike Stapler

After building out the door, I moved onto the frame of the case.

For this part, I used 1×6 pine boards.  I cut two pieces at  23 1/8″ and two pieces at 68 3/4″.  Again, I added 3/4″ pocket holes to my shorter boards.

frame measurements

I used my Kreg Right Angle Clamp to hold everything together while I attached it using 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

Kreg Right Angle Clamp

building a bathroom cabinet

Next, I added my top and bottom braces.   These were the same length as my shelf pieces, so I cut seven 1×4 pieces at 23 1/8″ each.

shelf pieces

These will be used to attach the cabinet to the wall.  You can see here where I added pocket holes to these boards before I attached them.  This is a shot of the back.  These brace pieces will sit flush with the back of the cabinet.

back of bathroom cabinet

Now, it should look a bit like this…

Bathroom cabinet frame

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – Time for the shelves!

I added 3/4″ pocket holes to each piece.  You can attach yours wherever you would like, but here is where I attached mine for your reference.

Shelf Placement

Before moving on, I filled all of my pocket holes with wood filler.

3M-Wood-Filler

I filled each hole and then used a scraper to flatten it out.

Scraper for Wood Putty

This wood filler is stainable, and I prefer using it over the plugs on holes like these.  This covers them well enough, and it’s also very easy to do.  Once the putty dries, I use the sanding pad to go back over it again.

Putty for pocket hole

That’s it for the build!

I stopped here and stained everything using Varathane stain from Home Depot in Dark Walnut.  I love this stuff!

After the stain completely dried, I attached my mirror to the door.  I used this mirror adhesive I found at Home Depot to attach it.  I just ran a thin bead on the back side of the mirror all around.  Then, I laid it on the door and used tape to hold everything in place.

Frame out a mirror

My final step was attaching it to the wall.  I used a stud finder to find my studs in the wall and marked on my frame where the studs would be.  I then used 3″ torx or wood screws to go through my braces and into the wall attaching to the stud.  I did pre drill before going through the brace pieces to keep the wood from splitting.

Hanging a bathroom shelf

I also added 2 to the bottom brace piece.

Hanging the bathroom shelf

I made sure everything was level before attaching the door…

Hanging the bathroom cabinet

To attach my door, I used two clamps to hold the door in place while I added my hinges.  I attached the hinges to the door first and then the frame.

clamp the mirror

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case  – Hinges

How cute are these hinges I found at Home Depot!

Cute furniture hinge from Home Depot

My final step was adding some magnet closures and my pull to the front.  These just screw into place… Super easy!

magnet closure

pulls from home depot

And here she is all finished up!

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case

A little shot of the goodness inside…

Organize your rubberbands

I used 3m Command strip hooks to hold my rubber bands and also for my curling and flat iron below.

DIY Bathroom Organizer

And these are those great SnapWare containers I use in my pantry for this shelf!  These are great because they won’t break if they ever do get dropped.  5 kids… It could happen 😉

Bathroom Organizer

What do you think??

DIY Bathroom Storage

DIY Bathroom Storage Cabinet

I personally LOVE everything about it!  I finally have a full length mirror, and a ton of storage at the same time.  Can’t beat it!  I would LOVE for you to share and PIN my storage case with all your friends!

Happy Building!

1. Claudia Rivera on July 14, 2016 at 3:18 pm

This is what I was wanting to do!!!! Thanks for the awesome plans! Mine will be for a mirror I already have that is 34×24.

2. Fraise on April 3, 2016 at 9:49 am

un projet qui peut s’adapter dans toutes les pièces de la maison. très sympa cette armoire murale. merci.

3. Namrata Arora on January 19, 2016 at 5:42 pm

where did u buy the transparent boxes with white lids (that contain Bobby pins, Q tips)

4. Chelsea @ The Johnsons Plus Do on January 9, 2016 at 1:27 am

I’ve always loved this project of yours! I would love to feature it on a blog post I’m planning on Small Bathroom Ideas. Do you mind if I use a photo and link back to think post? Let me know.

5. Morgen Emmaleigh Griess on November 10, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Ok… big problem with the measurement on the door. The sides should be at least an inch longer for the size of mirror suggested. So instead of being 67 (on the pattern) It should be 68 inches.

6. Jaidenne Verratti-Winchester on September 23, 2015 at 10:03 am

I am working on adding a bathroom downstairs in my home and I chose not to add a door but found clear organizers that I could fit between the studs (I actually bought those before I built the cubby) I backed my cubby with pretty tiles and it is right beside the sink in this small bathroom so it works nicely to store essentials. Thanks for the inspiration that you give us all!

7. andrewfinnestad on August 27, 2015 at 9:11 am

Wow, great instructions. It’s nice that 3m cares enough to give you items to try as well as sponsoring real people.

8. Marianne on August 18, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I am in the process of making this cabinet! I am just waiting on the mirror to be delivered because all the Home Depots in my area are sold out of it. I want to make the shelf too… do you have the plans for how you made that?

9. NisseL1 on June 3, 2015 at 1:34 am

Great jobb, thanks for sharing!

10. Jen on May 12, 2015 at 10:01 am

Where do you get the snapware?

11. Jeff Randall on April 16, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for the awesome instructions! Just hung mine last night. My tiny bathroom is all done in weathered barn wood decor from families 100+ year old farm, so i attempted to artificially age/weather the wood using the vinegar/steel wool technique over top of a dry brushed white coat. pretty happy with results!

12. Guest on April 16, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for the awesome instructions! Just hung mine last night. My tiny bathroom is all weathered barn wood decor from families 100+ year old farm, so i attempted to artificially age/weather the wood using the vinegar/steel wool technique over top of a dry brushed white coat.

13. Susie on February 23, 2015 at 9:06 am

Hello, where did you get the mirrors? Are the precut? What size did you get?
    Thank you for sharing! Such a great idea!

14. Marianne on February 18, 2015 at 1:25 am

I would love to have one of these made for me by someone who is more handy than I am :(. I live in Northern California so if anyone is near and wants to make this please contact me at mianno@yahoo.com.

15. Kelly Selvage Park on February 16, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Hi. I’d love to make this but I’m a little confused about the measurements. Is the door 24″ wide? Two 4″ pieces on either side at 16″ horizontal piece, top and bottom? If this is correct, shouldn’t the top and bottom of the frame, the back support pieces and all the shelves be 24″ as well? I think I’m missing something. Thank you!

• Kelly Selvage Park on February 16, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Actually just answered my own question. A 1 x 4 is actually a 3/4 x 3 1/2. Thanks.

16. Keri Beth on February 15, 2015 at 11:30 am

Thanks for the plans! I used them with slight mods to make this mirrored cabinet with jewelry storage for my bedroom. I’d been wanting a full-length mirror in there for years, and this is perfect!

• Luciana Marques on June 8, 2016 at 8:04 am

Hello, love yours. Wich color and wood did you use? I want to make a similiar one. Thanks!

17. Brandy S. on February 10, 2015 at 12:55 am

I’ve always wanted to learn how to build stuff. I do have a little bravery to go for things, but carpentry is where I’m clueless at. I really feel like you explained things so well that I could tackle this. Thank you so much!!!! I love it so much!

18. Anita Bellefeuille on February 5, 2015 at 4:53 am

I really need something like this in my bathroom, but I have no wall space. Could this be mounted on the bathroom door? Or would it be to heavy? Is there someway to attach it on a hollow door?

19. Jessi Kean on January 4, 2015 at 3:20 am

This is awesome! I wish I could find something like this from our bathroom. Unfortunately we are renting an apartment, so no major hole in the walls. We could really use more space like this in our bathroom. Any ideas that won’t damage the walls?

20. Bryan on December 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

Great project! But could you tell me more about the mirror (in hopes I didn’t accidentally miss the instructions). Was there a frame on the mirror to begin with when purchased? And if so, did you remove the frame before putting it into your homemade frame?