How I paint walls!!!

Happy Monday guys!  Have you all thawed out?  I hope so! To keep up with all of our projects from start to finish, be sure to follow us on Instagram!

Many of you know I recently started redoing my baby son’s room.   I have been debating his wall color for a few weeks.  His room has been a very light blue color that I did when we first moved in our house for his big sister.  I have no touchup paint, and couldn’t remember the name of the color, so repainting the whole thing was my solution.  I went to Ashley’s new house last week and fell in LOVE with some of the wall colors.  My favorite was called Seine by Valspar, and I immediately knew I wanted it for Brooks’ room.

So, I sent the kids off to school last Tuesday and got to work.  I didn’t start taping off until around noon, and I had the whole thing painted and put back together by 8:00 that evening.  That included picking the kids up and cooking dinner.  For those of you that are intimidated by painting walls and the time it may take, hopefully I can help you out!

Here are some tips that help me get it done quickly!

First, here is a before shot of the room.  Don’t be fooled.   That is a pretty blue color, but what you don’t see are the  multiple dings and doodles (thank you children) on the wall.  It was time for a change!

DIY Twin Bed

Cute bed, huh?  I made it. 🙂  HERE is the tutorial and link to the free plans!

How I paint walls

I start by moving everything away from the wall, and taping it all off.  Now, if you have ever been down the painter’s tape aisle at the hardware store, you have probably seen the 4,579,223 tape options offered to help you achieve those straight lines.  I haven’t tried them all, but I have put many to the test.  I have had the best luck with this stuff.

Best tape to paint walls and trim

It’s Scotch Blue with Edge-Lock.  The Edge-Lock did cost a dollar or two more, but I feel like I really see the difference in the lines once I pull it off the wall.  I start in small sections like this and work my way around the entire room.

3M painters tape

Next, I fill all of my nail holes on the wall.  My favorite product to use for this is 3M’s Patch and Primer.  I LOVE this stuff!

0005114195264_500X500

You just use a small putty knife or scraping tool like this one to go over your hole and that’s it.  Let it dry for a bit and you are ready for paint.  Works perfect for me every time.

How to easily fill nail holes in wall

I also remove all of my switch plates from the wall.  If you are uncomfortable doing this you can just tape them off, but I find this much easier.  It does expose the wiring, so be careful not to touch anything inside the holes.  I cover each switch with tape like this…

painting walls tips

I also use a piece of tape to hold the screws on the plate so I don’t lose them!

paint a wall

My first step is always cutting in… Or at least that’s what I call it!  I use my very favorite roller for this part, and I had this part done in under 20 minutes!  It’s the Wooster Jumbo Koter and it works with the pole I show you below.

Wooster Shergrip Paint Roller

I also used my Wooster PelicanHow I paint walls
bucket to hold the paint on this part.  I shared this tool on Instagram, and I think you guys love it as much as I do.  I love that it has removable trays to keep me from cleaning anything up… Probably my favorite thing about it!  It also holds your roller to keep it from going into the paint.  So smart and so awesome.  You can find it on Amazon HEREHow I paint walls!

Wooster Pelican

Here are some progress shots of my cutting in!

Painting Trim

Tips for painting walls

How to paint walls

Now, I will always have some really small spaces where my roller won’t get.  They look a bit like this…

Painting tips

I just use a small brush like this one to get all of those small spaces before rolling the rest of the wall.

Best Paint Brush

I like to put these in a small plastic baggie and put them in the freezer after I am done painting.  They are great to go back and do small touch ups once you get the room put back together.  The freezer keeps the paint from drying out.  The fridge works too, but I can keep mine longer in the freezer!

Now to roll the big part!  This was my first time using this type of roller and OMG.  It’s amazing to me that there can be such a difference in rollers.   This one is called the Wooster SherlockHow I paint walls
and I used the 2-4′ pole since I was only painting 8′ walls.

Wooster Paint Rollers

My favorite thing about the SherlockHow I paint walls
system is how it attaches to the pole!  Normally, with other brands, you have to spin the roller onto the pole.  These always break for me over time, and they are a pain in the rear to get on.  This one just clicks on with the press of a button.  Genius!  This was a huge plus when I was finished and needed to take the roller off.

Wooster Paint Pole

The tray I used was also a huge time saver.  It has great plastic liners that stick in place and again… NO MESS after you are done!

Wooster Paint Tray

My final step was rolling all of the unpainted walls.  I used two coats of paint on the walls.  I bought 2 gallons of paint, but only ended up using about 2/3 of one.  Love that!  Now I need to find something else to paint Seine…. 😉

Here are a few finished shots of the great color!

Boys Room

How to build a nightstand

DIY Nightstand

Isn’t it such a great color??  I love how it makes the trim pop!  And again guys… With the right tools you can have a job done so much faster.  It’s just like power tools….

I hope I have convinced you to overcome your painting fears!  Be sure to ask me any questions here that you may have!

Thanks so much for stopping by…  Can’t wait to show you guys some other fun projects I am doing in here!

1. Jennifer on June 21, 2019 at 6:41 am

I’ve had several homes with rooms where the slanted part of the ceiling wasn’t painted and when I painted I went all the way up the the flat ceiling. It looks so much better and makes the ceiling look taller.

2. Kate on June 3, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Thank you for the demos and product reviews. I didn’t notice any drop cloths in the pics. How do you avoid paint drops? Not sure if it the type of roller or my technique, but I end with paint drops all over the floor and me. Thanks for any tips.

3. Tammy on November 29, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Seems not so much like a “how to” but way more of a products(s) advertisement. Amazing that so many commenters found it helpful. I am not nearly enjoying Pinterest as much anymore since it sooooo often leads to glorified advertising like this.

4. Handy Squad on November 21, 2018 at 8:29 am

Great job, and the color turned out fantastic as well.

5. Penny on September 15, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Use the right edging brush and no need to waste all that time taping ceilings and the tops of trim… $5 at Lowe’s Wooster…

6. JD on August 26, 2018 at 10:25 am

Sorry, but there are no tips on how to paint walls at all in here. This is just an advertisement for different products used in painting. As such, you should change the title of this article.

7. Wj Dewar on January 22, 2017 at 6:34 pm

We are redoing our dining, the paint is peeling off the wall in some places but not in other place. Question How can we patch the wall where the paint is removed?

• Katy on February 19, 2017 at 11:37 am

There is primer specifically for peeling paint – it helps to seal the wall and prepare for new paint. What I would do is scrape the wall to get any loose paint off, and then sand the edges to help feather the lines. Any huge gauges can be filled with patching compound or drywall mud (joint compound). Then use the peeling paint primer and paint away!

8. NoNameRequired on November 25, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I would discourage storing your brush in the freezer, as this will cause your paint to separate – this is why paint cans say NOT to let the paint freeze or to keep it stored between certain temps. Wrap the brush snugly with plastic/Saran wrap and it will keep for a day or two in the fridge, or even at room temp without the worry.

9. Renee on August 11, 2015 at 12:42 pm

My husband and I are opposites when it comes to home projects – he is willing bc he loves me and he’s good at them but hates doing it and would rather pay someone. I’m eager to learn anything new when it comes to power tools and home reno, love the creative and hard labor process, and would rather save the $$ and do it myself. Haha. He JUST asked me this week when we buy a house (we rent right now) – would I rather us paint all the rooms or hire it out? You make it sound so easy! Maybe I can convince him … 🙂 Thanks for all the tips and the product tips!

• Brad Bradley on January 6, 2018 at 7:37 am

Hi, I just saw this great little article on pin and will tell you a coupla things. My dad was a pro painter from Chicago and attended the notable Washburn trade school and later took color theory at the Art Institute. So, I have an edge on this even though I instead became a carpenter. Painting isn’t a walk in the park but to me, it’s ver satisfying when you get the knack of it. The author of the article is ver thorough and cites great products that appear to bring the paint job into the 21st century, lotttsa great tips. If you and your husband launch into doing this, go slow, try a simple project and don’t be offended but try a closet first. Make all your first mistakes there and then move onto bigger jobs. I went back to school at 28 years old to become an Architect and payed a lot of my school costs painting for some really nice families in the foothills in Tucson. I learned to really love painting. But but but…decades later, I hire a pro now, it’s just beyond me and my wife to do this work now. I encourage you to try. Be patient, learn from mistakes and don’t be afraid to do over if things don’t come clean for you. Good luck!! Brad

10. Susan Strode on May 15, 2015 at 8:47 am

This is a great tutorial. I have done a lot of painting in my life. To me, as the other ladies said, it is packing up the room, even if it is neat that is time consuming. I was wondering. Do you always take the mattress off your bed before painting? I would just cover it all?? How much time do you calculate in for disassembling the room before painting. And how did you decide to use all Wooster products? Was it a recommendation?

11. TMartinez on May 10, 2015 at 8:24 am

Great info! What paint did you use and whats the color? Loved it!

12. Pat Leonard on May 8, 2015 at 10:19 am

Great tips! Do you just toss the tray liners?

13. Stephanie Batista on April 20, 2015 at 9:49 pm

what color is this? I love it.

14. Maureen Reese on February 28, 2015 at 3:17 pm

I really love these warm neutral colors. I would love to use the door and trim color in my basement. Can you tell me what color it is? Great painting tips!

• Susan Strode on May 15, 2015 at 8:40 am

She said in the blog the paint is called Siene by Valspar

15. Heather H on February 28, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for the tips on which brushes you use — I have been using a brush to cut in for years and it takes FOREVER!!!!!

16. Kay Sykes on February 19, 2015 at 9:27 am

Approx how much is the bucket and roller as already got an old set but really inspired as my two bug bears are one the roller slipping into the paint and then cleaning the tray which no-one but me ever ever does.