DIY Barn Door Headboard

Thanks so much for stopping by! Follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to keep up with out most recent projects and sneak peeks 🙂

Hey there!  I’m back to share this super cute full-sized headboard that I built for our sons platform bed!

DIY-Barn-Door-HeadboardIf you missed the tutorial for the platform bed on wheels, you can check it out HERE! You can find the bedding HERE at Pottery Barn!

I wanted a rustic looking headboard for his room so I started searching for a barn door style headboard and of course, I found Ana’s awesome plans HERE!  I modified this headboard to give it a chunkier look, brought the height down to work with the platform frame and altered the measurements to fit a full.

This is a very easy and quick build so it’s great for beginners as well! Total cost in lumber is about $60!!!  Here’s how I made it!

ridgid-sawThis is one of my first projects to do in my new work shop, eeeek!!!  It’s still a work in progress but it’s nice to have space for my saw and shop vac 🙂

post-measurmentsI started by cutting 2 2×6 boards @53″.  These will be the end posts of the headboard.

1x4-plank-measurmentsThen, I cut 14 1×4’s at 30 1/4″

planked-headboardand drilled 3/4″ Kreg Jig pocket holes down the length of each board and one at each end of the boards, facing out (so they can drill into the 2×6 and 2×4 frame).  I clamped the joints together and attached them with 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws.

join-frameNext, I cut 2 2×4’s at 49 1/2″ (cut this measurement to fit the length of your planked 1×4’s).  These will the be the top and bottom trim around the planks. I started by attaching the top piece to one 2×6 board using my Kreg Jig and 3/4″ pocket holes that I drilled into the 1×4’s and secured with 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws.  Make this piece flush with the top of the 2×6.

attach-planks-to-frameTo make the planks easy to attach to the frame, I laid scrap 1×4 boards down and placed the planks on top of them.  This will help keep the planks flush with the back of the frame.

pocket-holesOnce you attach the planks to the side and top pieces of the frame, add the bottom 2×4 and side 2×6.  You can see my pocket holes above.  Notice the holes around the perimeter of the planks.  I should have thought ahead and drilled those holes into the planks before assembling the piece but live and learn.  It’s easier to drill into 1 board than a huge planked piece 😉

adding-barn-door-piecesNow for the barn door trim 🙂  I cut 1 1×4 piece at 30 1/4″  and 2 pieces at 35 1/4″ long point to short point, not parallel and both ends cut at a 31.6 degree angle.  (This is the hard stop measurement set on the miter saws for a 90 degree crown molding.  To attach them, I used wood glue and Ryobi Airstrike nailer.  I placed the straight board down the center of the headboard and the other two pieces will fit corner to corner.

trim-measurmentsFor the final pieces on the headboard, I cut 1 1×3″ 62 1/4″ and 1 2×4@ 64 1/4″.

nail-trimI used wood glue and my Ryobi Airstrike nailer to attach the 1×3 board to the frame, leaving a 1″ overhang on both ends and flush with the back of the frame.  I then added the 2×4 with 2 1/2″ wood screws and wood glue.

diy-headboardWahoo!!!!  Time to stain 🙂

Rustoleum_Dark_WalnutFor the finish, I used Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut stain!

finished-headboardJust apply one coat, let it dry for about 5 minutes and wipe it with a clean cloth to even the stain throughout.

DIY-Platform-Bed-on-WheelsTo attach it to the platform frame, I used 3 1/s” wood screws and drove them from the back of the headboard into the frame.  Super EASY!!!

Barn-Door-Headboard-DIY

DIY-Barn-Door-HeadboardI am soooo thrilled with the way this bed turned out 🙂  I can’t wait to get started on the rest of his bedroom furniture but, I need to get busy on the other kiddos beds first 😉 You can find the bedding HERE at Pottery Barn!

What do you think?  Love it?  We always appreciate your social shares when you love our pieces!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Melissa Wheeler on October 26, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Do you have the plans and material list for a queen size headboard?

2. Sarah Holick on April 24, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Did you ever put a polyurethane coat over the stain?

3. Ragan on December 22, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Does anyone know what kind of wood (pine, cedar, etc) was used for this? Recommendations? I want to do this, but keep hearing about lumbers warping in shape.

• deden on January 7, 2016 at 10:18 am

I am definitely not an expert, but looks to me like it’s probably pine. I don’t know much about warping, but maybe try the better lumber at the store (ex: Lowes has regular and Top Choice and the TC is supposed to be better cuts with fewer knots, bends, etc).

4. Jer on August 6, 2015 at 10:10 am

Could you send me the plans for the frame please! I think I might try this for my son’e double bed. Also do you have plans for a dresser and night table?

5. Kimberly Bartlow Wolter on July 8, 2015 at 8:01 am

Love this bed! What color are the walls? I love how this all goes together nicely!

6. amy on June 10, 2015 at 9:22 am

I love the way this turned out SO much! As always, thank you for the plans!

• Gaby Hallon on July 6, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Hi Amy,
      your bed looks amazing!! i want to build this bed for my teenager son. what kind of wood did you use? and once you set your mattress on top: is it above the bed frame or is the mattress gets a little inside the platform frame?
      Thanks in advance,
      Gaby

• amy on July 7, 2016 at 1:38 am

Hey Gaby! I actually just used whitewood (pine) from HD. Stained with Minwax’s dark walnut. As for the frame, since I already had my boxspring, I just built it around it, and my mattress sits on top 🙂 So it has that “floating” look to it- but I didn’t have the need to build slats. Thank you for the compliment!! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Gaby Hallon on July 7, 2016 at 9:25 am

thank you for your answer!! does the frame covers the whole boxspring or half? I will not use a boxspring but I do want the mattress to be at leas 1/3 inside the frame

7. Jessica Sanford Martinez on May 31, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Hi, is it possible to get a plan for a twin sized bed? Thank you so much!

8. Libby on January 27, 2015 at 11:20 am

I am really curious where you got your wood for $60?? we priced everything according to the sizes and cuts and it was over $100 at both Lowes and Home depot =(

9. Heather on October 24, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Do you have measurements for a king size headboard and platform? If so, could you please email them to me at coozkey83@yahoo.com

10. Nicole Jamerson Edgar on July 14, 2014 at 10:11 am

How did you make the platoform piece, with the wheels?? Love this whole look and would love it for my son!

• Shanty2Chic on July 14, 2014 at 10:16 am

Thanks Nicole. There is a link to the platform plans.
      Thanks!

11. Jennett on July 8, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Is there a plan for king size?

• David S on September 8, 2015 at 9:48 am

Yes, I need plans for a King size also…did you find any?

12. Nancy Adams-Parsons on June 1, 2014 at 6:30 am

Love it and adore it. We think you guys are awesome and are so glad we found your site; 2 years ago. Cant wait to transform the kids rooms. HIS Best ! T & N

13. Becky on April 12, 2014 at 11:25 am

Where did you get the stain?

14. Morgan on April 11, 2014 at 11:28 am

How did you attach the headboard to the frame? I want to do something that’s not permanent. Something that’ll be more assemble/disassemble friendly. I think I’m going to do this in a king.

• Shanty2Chic on April 11, 2014 at 11:31 am

I just used 3 1/2″ wood screws from the back of the headboard into the platform bed 🙂

15. Renae Johansen on April 10, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Can you email me? I’m having trouble. I’m trying to join the top 2×4 to the 2×6. I thought I cut my pocket holes correctly but something is wrong. Can you tell me how you set your KJ on the 2×4 and depth of the holes? Also it says you used 1 1/4 screws but that’s not working either so I’ve got something wrong. So excited to finish this project and attach it to the platform bed I built for my son. Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on April 10, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Hi Renae!
      The top 2×4 is simply glued to the 1×3 under it and I used 2 1/2″ wood screws from the very top into the 1×3. Hope this helps!

• Renae Johansen on April 10, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Sorry. I meant in one of the first steps when building the frame. The top and bottom 2x4s that trim the planks are the ones I’m struggling with. Can you let me know how you set your KG and drill bit? I obviously did something wrong, the 1 1/4 screws were too short and 2 1/2 would be way too long. TIA!

• Shanty2Chic on April 10, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Oh my goodness! That’s a typo! So sorry! You do use 2 1/2″ screws and set the Kreg Jig at 1 1/2″!

16. chispitacarreras on April 10, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Beautiful! Would you share your paint color for this room? It is lovely.

17. Jaime on March 28, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Hi! I love your site! I’m about to apply stain to my headboard (dark walnut gel stain) and I’m wondering if you applied any poly or top coat to yours? I also build the farmhouse bedside tables and will be staining them this weekend, so excited:)

• Shanty2Chic on March 28, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Awesome:))) I didn’t just because I’m not worried about the finish getting ruined but definitely do if you are concerned.

18. Breeanne on March 26, 2014 at 4:13 am

Love this look!!! Do you have detentions that would be for a queen bed and or even a twin bed? Also love the bedding. Where did you find this at?

• Shanty2Chic on March 26, 2014 at 4:41 am

Thank you! For the queen size, you would need an additional 2 1×4’s on the planked part. A queen mattress is 6 inches wider than a full. For the twin you would subtract 15” so I would take away 4 of the 1×4’s on the panel part 🙂

19. Katie @ Addicted 2 DIY on March 25, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Love it! This would be perfect for my boys!

20. Krista Ray on March 25, 2014 at 5:55 am

I love it!! Thank you so much for sharing the “how to”, I was wondering if you would share how you did the bed frame?

• Shanty2Chic on March 26, 2014 at 4:42 am

Hi Krista! Thanks so much! I shared a link to the bed frame at the top of this post 🙂

• Krista Ray on March 26, 2014 at 7:37 am

Thank you!

21. Fox and Finch on March 24, 2014 at 7:06 pm

This bed is so attractive. I would like it painted white, also. It won’t be long and you will be starting your own line. I hope you do.

• Shanty2Chic on March 26, 2014 at 4:42 am

Thank you 🙂 Wouldn’t that be so much fun :))))

22. Cassie Thompson on March 24, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Beautiful! Any mod’s for a King size? I’d love this with my pretty white and ruffled bedding!

• Shanty2Chic on March 26, 2014 at 4:44 am

Thank you Cassie! For a king, you would need to add 22” to fit the mattress, so you could at 6 1×4’s to the paneled part! The angled cuts on the decorative part will change but you can cut them to fit!

23. Katlyn Grow on March 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I always love your projects! Im new with my Kreg Jig, so is it necessary to screw each planked piece to the top and bottom pieces with them all being screwed together? And if you don’t mind me asking, how much did all of the supplies cost for this? Thanks again for your inspiration!

• Shanty2Chic on March 26, 2014 at 4:45 am

Hi Katlyn! The headboard was about $60 for lumber. And yes, the more pocket holes on this the better 😉

24. astrollthrulife on March 24, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Oh I love it. How cute and it is so perfect withthe platform. Great job.

25. Stacie Warhurst on March 24, 2014 at 1:57 pm

It’s beautiful. I would love to make one of these for our king bed!

26. Karen May on March 24, 2014 at 1:01 pm

The bed is adorable! It looks so boyish too. I also love the bedding. Would love to know where you found it. Everything is darling.

• Shanty2Chic on March 26, 2014 at 4:46 am

Thank so much Karen! It’s from Pottery Barn Teen! I added the name of it to the bed frame post that I linked to at the top of this post 🙂

27. ashley on March 24, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Love it…where did you find the bedding?

• Shanty2Chic on March 26, 2014 at 11:49 am

Thank you Ashley! It’s from Pottery Barn Teen. If you click the link to the bed frame post at the top of this post, the name of the bedding is there!

• ashley on March 27, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Thank you!

28. lhamer on March 24, 2014 at 11:24 am

I do love this so much! I need to connect with someone who can help me hands on. This is a great talent to have.

29. Jessica on March 24, 2014 at 8:14 am

Love it! What type of wood did you purchase for this? I sit with a blank stare at all the choices…never quite sure what is best. I am really excited to try this!

• Shanty2Chic on March 24, 2014 at 8:20 am

Thank you Jessica! We always go with white wood first because it is inexpensive and pretty straight 🙂