DIY Platform Bed on Wheels

Happy Monday everyone!!!  I’ve mentioned, a few times, that I am starting from scratch with furniture for our new home.  When we sold our previous home, we sold the furniture too because I knew I would want to build new pieces.  My thought was ‘why move it, store it, and move it again if it will be replaced shortly after we move-in to our home!  So, I have been so busy trying to fill our house up and to start, I’m getting everyone’s bed off the floor 🙂

DIY-Platform-Bed-on-WheelsThe lucky kiddo to get their bed built first is our oldest son!  I modified Ana White’s Full Platform Bed by adding casters!  They are locking casters and really don’t serve much of a purpose besides being super cute 🙂 **You can find the bedding HERE at Pottery Barn!**

This bed is definitely a project for beginners, it’s SOOOOOO easy to build and you can build and finish it in an afternoon!  Here are the steps I took and you can see the plans HERE!  To see the plans for the headboard click HERE!

kreg-jigI used my Kreg Jig K5 to attach the boards to make the frame.

pocket-holesPocket holes

attach-with-clampI used my Kreg Right Angle Clamp to hold the boards together while I attached them with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

bed-frameEasy enough 🙂

add-cleatsAfter the frame is done, you just add the 2×2 cleats.  I used 2 1/2″ wood screws and wood glue to secure them

add-trimTo add the trim, I used wood glue and my Ryboi Airstrike Nailer with 1 1/4″ brad nails.

That’s it!

Rustoleum_Dark_WalnutI applied one-coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut stain to the entire bed.  Just paint it on with a foam roller and wipe it with a clean cloth after about 5-minutes. Don’t wipe the stain away, just blend it.

Now for the wheels!

glue-2x4I used scrap 2×4 for the blocks to secure the wheels.  I cut 8 pieces at 3.5″ and put a good amount of wood glue on the center of each 2×4 piece.

attach-first-2x4Then, I used 2 1/2″ wood screws and attached a block at each corner of the bed frame (on the inside).

add-2x4-for-castersand added a second one the same way.

hex-screwsI used these Hex Screws

hex-bitand used this hex bit to attach the casters to the 2×4 blocks

attach-castersdone!  These are locking casters so I can lock them so the bed will not move.

full-platform-bedI love the industrial look that the wheels give this bed 🙂  I did add the 1×3 slats under the mattress per the plans.

DIY-Platform-Bed-on-WheelsDo you like the headboard???  That’s a DIY too and of course I will be back very soon to share that tutorial with you guys 🙂  For now, I’m on to the next kiddo’s bed!  **Bedding is the MVP Stripe Quilt from Pottery Barn Teen and the paint color of the walls in this room can be found HERE!

Have you been keeping up with the pieces I’ve built for our home so far?  Click the links to check them out and you can click HERE to see our home building process!

diy-round-tableKitchen Table

Industrial-Pipe-Plate-Rack-DIYIndustrial Display Rack

Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

~Ashley 🙂

1. www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 4, 2018 at 11:55 pm

I built my own platform bed using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

www. EasyWoodwork.org

2. Kori Levine on October 18, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Is it possible to raise this frame(still with the casters) to put a twin size trundle underneath, but attach to the plank headboard?

3. lauramammano on July 8, 2016 at 6:24 pm

How did you attach the headboard to the platform?

4. Carol on July 2, 2015 at 10:53 am

I have tried to locate the plans for that platform bed on casters. It keeps saying nothing found. I was going to have my son build this for me. It is exactly what I want.

5. Sue on November 14, 2014 at 12:53 am

Thank you! I did ended up going to Home Depot and
    buying four locking casters. Mounted them using your pictures as my guide (great pictures! by the way). I have hardwood floors and bed is not staying put even with casters in locked position. I guess the locking feature of casters doesn’t work on hardwood floors 🙁

6. Sue on November 11, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Where can I find locking casters for my queen size bed. What size casters should I get for a queen bed? Thanks!

7. Tera Lawson on August 16, 2014 at 9:19 am

Hi! Just curious….is this for a mattress only and not using a box spring??

• Shanty2Chic on August 16, 2014 at 9:28 am

Hi Tera,
      You could use a box spring for sure! It will change the look a bit and you might want to extend the legs so you see more of the headboard but it’s definitely doable!

• Tera Lawson on August 16, 2014 at 9:50 am

Great! I think I’ll stick with just the matress! Also, how/where did you attach the 2×4 squares for the casters? Sorry beginner level so I’m kinda confused!

8. Cdm on June 23, 2014 at 1:23 pm

what are the dimensions to make this in a twin

9. shawn on May 10, 2014 at 10:43 am

What is the mattress sitting on? Also, what is that wall color?

10. Jaime on April 24, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Do you happen to know the size of casters you used? I see a few different sizes at HD, 2″, 3″ & 4″. I’d like to buy the same size you used here as the scale looks perfect:)

11. Katie @ Addicted 2 DIY on March 25, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I love this bed! I’m planning to build beds for my boys and this would be perfect! Thanks for the inspiration!

12. Shelby on March 19, 2014 at 7:27 am

So looking forward to the headboard plans!!! paitently waiting!

13. Chris on March 18, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Do you have details on the construction of the Barn Door headboard? Thanks…

• Shanty2Chic on March 18, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Sharing the plans very soon!!

• Chris on March 18, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Standing by…

14. Kiana on March 18, 2014 at 6:27 am

Did you put any Polyurethane over the stain? Or does the stain eventually dry completely to where it doesn’t rub off on anything?

• Shanty2Chic on March 18, 2014 at 6:31 am

I didn’t. We use a poly on pieces like tables to protect the finish. Once the stain dries, it will not rub off! And, the Rust-oleum stain dries in 1 hour:)

• Sophia4ever* on August 31, 2014 at 9:47 am

Do you know if the stain comes in primary colors like green?

15. Jenise on March 17, 2014 at 9:45 am

Hi Shanty2Chic sisters,
    I love this rustic platform bed and just wanted to let you know that I’ve featured this project on my site: http://www.DIYFunIdeas.com. It’s a new hub for all kinds of fun & creative DIY ideas. The direct link to the featured post is: http://diyfunideas.com/diy-platform-bed-on-wheels/. If you have any questions/concerns please let me know.
    And thanks so much for your wonderful creativity!

~Jenise

• Shanty2Chic on March 17, 2014 at 10:15 am

Hi Jenise,
      While we do appreciate shares, we do ask that you remove this project and image from your site. You are promoting pins to your site and this is our work. Thank you for your understanding!

• Jenise on March 17, 2014 at 10:19 am