DIY Console Table

console-tableWell holy moly I’m in love with it!!  *If you like the mirror propped on top, click HERE to see how I made it!*

diy-console-tableI needed a narrow console table to fit a blank wall next to our stairs and came up with this SUPER EASY beauty!  And of course we have the free plans for you as well!  Just click the image below to print!

Print Console Table Free PlansYou can also click HERE for the Free Plans!

legsWhen I said this table was easy, I wasn’t kidding!  It’s built with these awesome turned legs that I ordered from Osborne, 2×4’s and 2×10’s!  That’s it friends!  You can click HERE to order the turned legs.  I ordered the knotty pine – they are about $60 each but that is the bulk of the cost with this table!

Here’s how I built the table!

make-cutsI started by cutting my 2×10 boards.  These will be the main bases for the top and bottom of the table.

base-measurmentI cut 4 pieces at 59 1/2″.

apron-measurmentsNext, I cut 4 2×4’s @ 57 1/4″ and 4 pieces at 4 1/4″. That’s it for cuts 🙂  We usually say measure and cut as you go but for this project, you can go ahead and make all of your cuts.

Kreg-Jig-SettingsNext, I drilled all of my pocket holes.  Set your Kreg Jig at 1 1/2″.  If you don’t have a Kreg Jig, no worries, you can use 3″ wood screws and fill your holes.

drilling-pocket-holesFollow the plans to see where to drill pocket holes.  For this particular piece, you will only be able to use pocket holes in certain areas.

build-apronsStart by connecting the 2×4’s.  I used 3″ on the side that will face the wall and used 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws on the other side.  I like to use my Ryobi Impact Driver when I’m attaching 2x’s!  It’s one of my new favorite tools and It saves my arms 🙂 Build two of these and set them aside.

mark-for-legsNow it’s time to attach the legs to the bottom 2×10.  I traced around each leg before I flipped them over to attach.

attach-bottom-boardI used 3″ wood screws and my impact driver to attach the legs.

attach-apronThen I added one of the 2×4 assemblies and attached it with wood glue and 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

bottom-of-console-completeSince this is the bottom of the piece, I used 3″ screws to attach the final 2×10 board.  Don’t worry about filling your holes here!

finishing-topNow, flip the console over so the base is on the ground.  Attach a 2×10″ to the top of the legs using 3″ wood screws and wood glue. Then, attach the other 2×4 assembly with 2 1/2″ pocket holes to the final 2×10 board.  This 2×10 will be the very top of our console so we don’t want any screw holes.

Attach-TopSet the 2×4 assembly on top of the console and attach it (from the bottom of the 2×10 into the 2×4 assembly using 3″ wood screws.

unfinished-console-tableHere she is all ready for paint 🙂

distress-with-vaselineI used one of our favorite paint techniques to finish this off!  I applied a bit of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut stain around the edges of the piece.  Once it was dry, I applied a little bit of vaseline on the edges and then painted two coats of Seine paint by Valspar,

ryobi-sanderOnce the paint dried, I used my Ryobi Corner Cat Sander to distress all of the edges. The vaseline creates a barrier between the paint and the stain allowing the stain to show when the paint is distressed.

how-to-build-a-console-tableEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!  It’s the perfect table for anyone that has a narrow spot that needs a little something 🙂  And, it’s super fun to decorate!

console-table-diy

console-table

diy-console-tableI hope you all love this console!  Make sure to print your FREE Plans HERE!  A huge thanks to Jay from Jay’s Custom Creations for taking our custom plans and converting them into PDF form for you guys!  We always appreciate your shares and pins!  Hope you enjoy 🙂

Do you love the wood floors in my living room?  You can click HERE to find out all about them!

Thanks for stopping by!

Ashley

1. Christie McMahon Malchow on August 22, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Thank you so much for your tutorial!! I obviously opted for a 2 legged version, but I’ve never built anything before & I’m seriously so proud of myself!! 🙂

• Guest on August 22, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Table pic was missing above…

• pam on April 26, 2015 at 10:10 am

where did you get your legs from can you share the link? your table turned out fab!!!

• Shanty2Chic on April 26, 2015 at 10:13 am

Thank you! There is a link in the post to the legs 🙂

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 4:00 am

I built my console table and I’m so so happy with how mine turned out! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org to build it – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Check it out! Go to www. EasyWoodwork.org – click the red link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

2. Christie McMahon Malchow on August 5, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Is your table 5′ long (or just shy of)? I need to make mine about 4′ long (50″ max), do I need to subtract a half inch when making the cuts as you did on the length? Also…does it have to be 2 x 10’s? Can it be 1 x 10’s? I don’t see much in the way of 2″ thick boards at Home Depot…mostly 1″ boards. Thanks…this will be a first DIY project of this type for this gal!

3. samantha pregenzer on July 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm

ohhhhhhh my – this could be my next build! haha!!! 🙂

4. Hannah Paysnoe on June 30, 2014 at 9:08 am

I love this! I’m sourcing the columns now… Question – since the table is so narrow, do you have any problems with it tipping over? Wondering whether I’ll need to secure it to the wall somehow?

• Shanty2Chic on June 30, 2014 at 9:14 am

Awesome Hannah! I don’t at all (even with a 3 year old and 2 teen boys) but, if you are concerned, I would fasten it to the wall through the studs with “L” brackets or something similar.

• Hannah Paysnoe on June 30, 2014 at 9:37 am

Thanks!

5. Nina on June 29, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’ve been following your projects for some time now and have recently added you on instagram. Love the work you do! Keep up the creative genius!! 🙂

6. Dawn Haines on June 25, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Can this be made with 18-20″ depth instead of 10″? Would modifications need to be made? Same question as below..did not see an answer. Also how tall does it end up being? Thanks

7. Jeni on June 6, 2014 at 11:48 am

8. Jeni on June 6, 2014 at 11:47 am

Can this be made with 18-20″ depth instead of 10″? Would adjustments need to be made?

9. Nilesen Cross on May 30, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I was wondering if your stain and paint are oil based or water based? Thanks 🙂

10. Jennifer Tanksley on May 12, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I love this idea and design!

11. Stephanie Curtis on April 28, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Could you make the table with 2 legs or is the middle leg there for support?

• Shanty2Chic on April 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

You totally could 🙂 3 was just for looks!

12. Shanty2Chic on April 28, 2014 at 11:33 am

Thank you so much!

13. Curtis Kelley on April 28, 2014 at 7:50 am

I built mine on Friday in about an hour. Now the legs are not as big as the ones posted but they work. This was so easy to do. My wife asked me to do it and boom done.

• Shanty2Chic on April 28, 2014 at 11:33 am

Love this Curtis! Thank you for sharing your experience!

• Curtis Kelley on April 30, 2014 at 8:22 am

This was so easy, I also built a farm table and benches. Looking for Nightstands and dressers to do. And could use some plans for a barn door headboard style look. picture is of the benches and table. Another simple easy build

14. Curberry on April 27, 2014 at 9:08 am

I’m in LOVE with this table! It’s perfect for our narrow entryway (and doesn’t get in the way of our 3 boys who race around the house like NASCAR.) I shared your ideas, photos, and printable plans on my blog this morning! Thank you, thank you!! ~ Andrea

15. Tammy Linskey on April 26, 2014 at 10:39 am

I absolutely love……….this piece!!!! Any chance you plans on the mirror? Thank you for your inspiration!!!!!!

• Shanty2Chic on April 26, 2014 at 10:41 am

Thank you Tammy! The plans are coming next week 🙂

16. astrollthrulife on April 26, 2014 at 8:51 am

Love this and so perfect for a narrow spot.

17. Kristine Price on April 26, 2014 at 2:00 am

Hi, I was given a pine kitchen table. I needed a slim console table for a narrow area, so we cut table in half longways added 2 small legs at the back for support and painted with annie sloane paint. sorry no pics folks not that offay with technology, but we gained 2 tables from this idea. cost pennies too.

• Shanty2Chic on April 26, 2014 at 7:03 am

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing Kristen!

18. jonathan on April 25, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I always use a candle stick for distressing. Have you ever tried that? I’ve never tried Vaseline. I’ll have to try it out next time and see if it works better. From the pictures of the finished piece though, it looks like the vaseline is working better. Looks great!

• Shanty2Chic on April 26, 2014 at 7:03 am

We have Jonathan! I think it’s about the same result but Vaseline is easier to apply in my opinion! Thanks 🙂

19. Kristin on April 25, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Love this and love the mirror too. Like how narrow it is so that it doesn’t take up too much space but adds a nice visual w/n the space.

20. Lorin on April 25, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Love this table! i have been eyeing one very similar at rh for my living room:) i really like that mirror, where did you get it?

• Shanty2Chic on April 26, 2014 at 7:01 am

Thank you Lorin! I actually made the mirror and I’m sharing a tutorial next week for it 🙂

• Lorin on April 26, 2014 at 9:16 am

So excited!! i have just started the whole building thing and am loving it:) Can’t wait to see the plans for the mirror. Thanks!