DIY Floating Shelves for my Living Room

Build these easy DIY Floating shelves with FREE Printable plans and how-to tutorial by Shanty2Chic. These are inexpensive and add character to your home!

DIY Floating Shelves

I built the eight floating shelves you see there for only $120!!!  Each shelf is 4 ft. long and 12 in. deep!  How amazing is that πŸ™‚

I was inspired by the floating shelves that Whit built in her bathroom!  If you missed them you can see them HERE πŸ™‚  I basically followed the same installation instructions and only made a few modifications to the size!

Check out our How to Build a Floating Shelf Video HERE!

Here’s how I built mine!
CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO THE FREE PRINTABLE PLANS
daughter-on-cart

DIY Floating Shelves

I had the nice man at Home Depot rip 1 sheet of 3/4″ Purebond Plywood (in Birch) into 4 – 11 1/4″ boards and 1 sheet of 1/4″ Purebond Plywood the same.  So you will basically have 4 – 8ft. 3/4″ boards and 4 – 1/4″ boards the same length.  (My daughter’s home away from home πŸ™‚ )

I also purchased 6 – 2x4x8 and 6 – 1x6x8.

measurements

I came home and got to work!  I cut 1 – 2×4 @ 46.5″ and 2 – 2×4 pieces at 9.75″, for each shelf.

build-e

I built the “E’s” the same way Whitney did by drilling pocket holes into the short 2×4 pieces. You can find the Kreg Jig HERE on Amazon.

plywood-measurements

Then, I cut the 3/4″ plywood pieces and the 1/4″ plywood pieces at 46.5″ (totaling 8 boards per size).  These will be the top and bottom of the shelves.

I also cut 16 – 1×6 pieces @11 1/4″  and 8 – 1×6 pieces @48″ but I missed getting pictures of that! (these will be the sides and fronts of the shelves)

drill-pocket-holes-in-shelf-tops

I used my Kreg Jig to drill pocket holes into each end of the 3/4″ boards and attached them to the 1×6 pieces to form the top and sides of the shelves. (again missed pics of that – I blame summer πŸ˜‰

Time to install!

draw-a-level-line

After deciding where I wanted my shelves (I decided to give 13″ between each shelf) I used my level to draw a 4 ft. line where I wanted each shelf to sit.

find-studs

Next, I used my stud finder to mark where the studs were.  This is my FAVE stud finder and I bought it on Amazon!  Link below πŸ™‚

drill-into-studs

To attach the “E’s” to the wall, I used 3 1/2″ spax screws and drilled them into the “E” and then into a stud with my Impact Driver. I did 2 screws per stud.

ashley-installing-shelves

I installed 4 on one side of the fireplace and 4 on the other πŸ™‚

attach-shelves

Once the “E’s” were installed, I dropped the assembled shelves on top of each one and attached them with my brad nailer and 2″ nails.

attach-bottom-with-nailer

Then, I followed-up with the 1/4″ sheets underneath.

I attached the 48″ 1×6 pieces to the front with my nailer as well (and surprisingly didn’t get pics of that part either)!

tape-off-for-stain

I taped them off before staining!

Varathane-Carrington-Wood-Stain-500x740

I wiped on 1-coat of Carrington stain, let it sit for 5-minutes and then wiped it with a clean cloth and that was it! You can find Rust-oleum stain HERE on Amazon.

before-shelves

Here is my before…. I’ve been starring at this space since we moved into our new home 4 months ago and finally decided how to fill the space

DIY-Floating-Shelf-how-to

and did it for about $120!!!  That gave me lots of dough to spend on accessories πŸ˜‰

DIY-Floating-Shelves
how-to-build-a-floating-shelf
DIY-Floating-Shelf-Tutorial
How-to-Build-Floating-Shelves

I bought the majority of the accessories from Homegoods and Marshall’s, and a few pieces from Hobby Lobby!  Seriously LOVE my new space and $120 for 8 – 4ft. shelves is a lot of bang for my buck πŸ™‚

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

Info on other things in this room πŸ™‚

I did build the coffee table and you can find it HERE!

You can find out about the fan HERE

and the info on the flooring is HERE

You can find the rug HERE

DIY Floating Shelves

Build these easy DIY Floating Shelves with free printable plans and how-to tutorial by Shanty2Chic. Make sure to click the link below to print the full version of the plans, including the supply list!

Ingredients

• 1 2x4x8 Framing Lumber
  • 1 1x6x8 Pine Or Common Boards
  • 1 3/4″x24″x48″ Hardwood Plywood (Birch)
  • 1 1/4″x24″x48″ Hardwood Plywood (Birch)
  • 1 1/2″ Pocket Hole Screws
  • 1 1/4″ Brad Nails
  • 3 1/2″ Wood Screws
  • Wood Glue

Instructions

• Cut List
    Note: This cut list is for one floating shelf. If you build more than one shelf, adjust the cut list.
  • Cut the cleat pieces to size. Drill 1 1/2″ pocket holes into one end of each support piece. Attach the support pieces to the long cleat piece with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws and wood glue. Locate the studs behind the wall you are hanging the shelf on and attach the cleat to the wall with 3 1/2″ wood screws.
  • Cut the top plywood piece to size and attach it to the cleat with wood glue and 1 1/4″ brad nails.
  • Cut the bottom piece of plywood to size and attach it to the bottom of the cleat with 1 1/4″ brad nails and wood glue.
  • Cut the side pieces to size and attach them to the side of the cleat with 1 1/4″ brad nails and wood glue.
  • Cut the front piece to size and attach it to the front of the cleat with 1 1/4″ brad nails and wood glue.
  • Now, just adda a finish and you’re done! Make sure to share your builds with us on social media and use #shanty2chic so we can share them too! Happy Building!

1. GR82BNTX on January 16, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Question on the 1X6 front piece – does this actually give you a little bit of a front ledge guard so to speak so things don’t slide off the front if bumped? I have a clumsy 13 y.o. boy doing the dusting ;0)

2. Kris on December 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

Where did you get your couches?

3. Jill on November 30, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Very cute shelves!! I was wondering if you nailed bottoms on all the shelves (the ultra thin wood)? The finished result looks like no. Can you share?

• Shanty2Chic on November 30, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I nailed the 1/4″ plywood to the bottom of every shelf.

• chelle on January 16, 2015 at 11:55 pm

I was wondering the same thing. In the pics it looks like they are open?!…..

• Jessie Pilkington on February 17, 2015 at 1:51 pm

You can’t see the bottom of the shelf because it’s inset and not flush with the sides.

4. Nancy Barr on November 24, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I have also been staring at blank walls next to our fireplace/Tv and I was headed to IKEA this week to buy bookcases ($500.) I think you just saved me some money!!! Thank you!!!

5. Lisa Bullert on November 18, 2014 at 8:20 pm

When you say you spaced your shelves 13″ apart. Is that the space between the bottom of one shelf to the top of the next or top to top?

• Shanty2Chic on November 18, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear on that. I measured from the top of one to the bottom of the one above it.

• Lisa Bullert on November 18, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Thank you! Your response was quick! My husband and I are mimicking this look in our house and it seems like a big space in between the shelves in person, but looks just right in your picture!

6. Jennifer Ritchie on November 6, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Is this sturdy enough to hold books? They look great!

• Shanty2Chic on November 6, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Thanks Jennifer! Yes! I actually sat on the bottom one :))

7. Jill Elizabeth French on November 4, 2014 at 10:55 am

How many inches from the floor did you start your bottom shelf?

8. Zoe on October 20, 2014 at 11:37 am

Would these be strong enough to do as Kitchen floating shelves?

9. Ironbutterfly dk1951 on September 17, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Those look great, better than the ones my contractor honey made for me. In his defense I can actually stand on mine. Good job.

10. Liz Howes on August 25, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I love these shelves… I was wondering how much weight do you think they can handle?.. . I have lots of books

• Karl Browne on April 24, 2015 at 10:34 am

I would NOT advise using floating shelves for more than a few books.

• Shanty2Chic on April 24, 2015 at 10:39 am

Thanks Karl. If you built them and secure them correctly they can hold an large amount of weight. I actually sat on one of them and it didn’t budge.

11. Guest on July 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm

So did you install your television on the rock fireplace, or was it a custom build with the home. I have a home from 1978 that has a stone fireplace, and I want to mount my television, but I am not really sue how to go about it.

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2014 at 5:23 pm

We did it ourselves and it’s super easy! The mounting kit that we purchased (from Wal-mart or best buy??) came with several anchors and one was for masonry. We used our Ryobi hammer drill to drill pilot holes then inserted the anchors and attached the mounting bracket. There should be instructions in the manual! Hope this helps πŸ™‚

• Kimberly Jones McTear on February 17, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I have the same fireplace – circa 1970. I have a love/hate relationship with it. LOL. My husband mounted the TV without a problem but how to get power there with all the messy cords showing? Did you already have a power outlet there? I also have a nice space on the right that I think I will put up shelves like you have. Thanks!

12. Jennifer Bays Ulrich on July 14, 2014 at 11:24 am

I also love you paint color… what is it? And they shelves are awesome too!

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Thank you! Fairmont penthouse stone by Valspar:)

13. Faith on July 12, 2014 at 10:23 pm

What color paint is on your walls?

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Fairmont penthouse stone by Valspar πŸ™‚

14. Taylor Nicole Cates on July 12, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Can you tell me where you bought your curtains? They are beautiful and so is the rest of the room!

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Thank you Taylor! There is a link to the curtains in the post:)

• Jill Elizabeth French on August 14, 2014 at 12:06 am

I do not see a link in the post for the curtains. Can you tell me where you bought the curtains or what fabric that is ? Thanks !

• Jill Elizabeth French on August 14, 2014 at 12:41 am

Nevermind, I found them πŸ™‚

• MrRazzleDazzle on November 5, 2014 at 10:22 am

I guess I am an idiot because I don’t see the link for the cutains ?!?

• Jill Elizabeth French on November 5, 2014 at 11:43 am

On this page under projects, then click window treatments, then it should be the first one you come to called – DIY lined window panels.

15. Howarth ShaneAmber on July 4, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Love the Shelves, cant wait to do mine, and coffee table!! Where did you get the Metal letter and & ?I love them!

• Shanty2Chic on July 5, 2014 at 10:11 am

Thank you!!! Got those at Hobby Lobby for $14.99! They run them 1/2 off all the time so get them on sale πŸ™‚

16. Lisa @ Shine Your Light on June 30, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Oh my gosh – your shelves came out great! Thanks for sharing how you did it – now I need to find a place for floating shelves!

17. Felicia B on June 30, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I love these shelves!! It is such a nice change from the usual built in bookshelves that you find flanking fireplaces. Plus, I’m a huge fan of the Carrington color.

• Shanty2Chic on July 5, 2014 at 10:13 am

Love Carrington, Felicia! Thank you so much! Our plans called for built-ins but I knew I would want to change the look pretty often:) love the character these shelves give!

18. Lisa on June 30, 2014 at 1:35 pm

great job on the shelves! I need to make some ….. and the coffee table is awesome!

19. Yesenia on June 30, 2014 at 8:24 am

Amazing Job Ashley!!

I had a question how did you mount the TV on stone? I have a fire place made from brick.

Thanks for your time. Keep inspiring so many of us.

• Shanty2Chic on June 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thank you so much!! To hang the TV, we bought a tv mounting kit (walmart maybe) and the kits come with masonry and wall anchors. We used our hammer drill to drill pilot holes then fit the anchors in and tightened them. I am actually building a mantel for our fireplace and will share the tutorial on how I attach it to the stone – soon!

• Millie on June 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Be sure to really think about your posture while watching a TV mounted so high up. While I admire how lovely the room is above, I can’t help but thinking that everyone watching TV in it has to look up high over their right or left shoulder the entire time. Ideally, if not always practical, the center or lower third of the screen should be even with your eyes when seated in the room.

20. Yesenia on June 30, 2014 at 8:24 am

Amazing Job Ashley!!

Thanks for your time. Keep inspiring so many of us.