DIY Murphy Desk

With school just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to design a desk to fit a small space.  With 5 kiddos to find space for, I am always trying to think of ways to maximize space and function at the same time.

Check out my DIY Murphy Desk!

DIY Murphy Desk by Shanty2Chic

The best part??  It folds up to this super cute and fully functional chalkboard!

Murphy Desk DIY by Shanty2Chic

How fun is that??  This desk is so versatile too!  I actually built this one for my oldest daughter to use as a vanity.  It gives her a place to pretty up while hiding her makeup from the babies at the same time 😉

This is a really simple build!

CLICK HERE FOR THE FREE PRINTABLE PLANS!!!

1. Tori on February 8, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Hi! Thanks for the plans – love the design and detail instructions. Did you include the final dimensions some where – I can’t seem to find them…

If I’m going the math correctly, it looks like the closed cabinet is 22.5 x 32 inches. And once the table is folded down it will be 26 inches off the ground – is that correct?

• Tori on February 8, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Actually – want to confirm the full dimensions for the table – it’s 26 inches off the ground – 30 inches long and 22 inches wide, right?

2. Ryan Hall on June 6, 2020 at 5:18 am

The link to the plans is invalid.

3. Nicki Cummings on April 19, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Do you think it would it work to make the desk surface out of one piece of wood that is 19 X 26&7/8 instead of having 3 pieces of wood and drilling pocket holes to attach them? I’m just thinking that it would be easier to have not have to drill the pocket holes and attach the wood pieces together and would also allow for a smooth surface instead of having seems which could interfere with writing or colouring

4. Sean on June 14, 2019 at 8:06 am

This is a great desk for homework for my kids. Could you recommend a leg bracket that could used to securely hold the legs in place when folded down? I am finding some online that have 1″+ depth which would place the legs noticeably proud of the rest of the desk when folded. Thanks!

5. KAYLA on October 5, 2018 at 8:22 pm

What is the hard wear called ?

6. kayla on September 28, 2018 at 11:05 am

what is the latch called I’ve looked at home depot and lowes and don’t know what the latch they used is called?

7. mouna on February 17, 2018 at 4:06 am

Thank you so much for this brilliant idea I was thinking me and my sister to change our desk in order to have more space…to be honest I don’t know about wood is there any direction plan to follow or it is better to ask someone expert to build it for me…..I’m thinking about caramel color and in the board place I will put a picture or a white board…thank you and by the way I have found you through Pinterest 😊

8. Lindsey on February 11, 2018 at 10:42 pm

I can’t access the PDF any more on the Ryobi website. I don’t know if maybe it’s a problem on their end? I can’t access the dimensions to make the cuts.

9. Jamie Marie Buckner on April 4, 2017 at 9:44 pm

What did you use for your chalkbaord?

• KAYLA on October 5, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Lowe’s has a $6 board 2×3 dry erase on one side and chalkboard on the other. That’s what I used.

10. Shelli Munoz on February 25, 2016 at 11:00 pm

I know that this question is off topic. But I was wondering if anyone knows the paint name & brand on the walls? The mint like color. Thanks in advance!

• Leslie Hynds on June 24, 2017 at 6:39 pm

its like seafoam green. my bathroom used to be that color.

• Shelli Munoz on June 24, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Thanks Leslie! I love the color!

11. Sunil Thanik on January 24, 2016 at 9:21 am

Here is my version of the desk. I don’t normally build things, so this took me a few weeks to construct. It wasn’t very simple, but it was fun to do. I modified the directions because i wanted a very long desktop (55 inches long). As a result I had to cut the frame’s leg supports in order for the desk to sit at a normal seated height of 29 inches. I used black chalk paint so my son can draw on the wood easily with chalk later. I found glow in the dark orange spray paint for the frame leg supports. However, it doesn’t glow too well at night. The desk is so long that it is tough for him to close it up, but he has found a way to do it safely. Great space saver and he loves it!

12. Aliyia Patterson on January 3, 2016 at 8:13 am

This may be a silly question. I know nothing about building anything. I’m looking to put a desk in a small space in my dining room and this looks perfect. I’m using it for myself. I’ll be going to grad school full time and will have to turn my office into a third bedroom so I’m losing that space. Will a 5’2 woman be able to sit at this desk comfortably? If not how do I adjust the dimensions or do you have any other suggestions?
    Thanks