Easy DIY Platform Bed

Hey guys! Β I’m back to share the platform bed that I made for my son πŸ™‚

Easy-DIY-Platform-BedIf you missed the Free Plans for the Planked Headboard, you can check them out HERE! I saw a platform bed in a West Elm catalog and loved how chunky the base and platform were, so that was my inspiration and I built it for about $55!!!

Just click the image below or HERE to print them!click-for-free-plans
This is a VERY EASY piece to build so it is perfect if you are a beginner! Here’s how I built it! This plan is for a full size bed but it is very easy to adjust the measurements to accommodate another size πŸ™‚

make-cutsI started by making all of my cuts for my top and bottom frame. Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

drill-pocket-holesThen, I drilled all of my pocket holes with my Kreg Jig set for 1 1/2″ thick boards. (You can find the Kreg Jig HERE on Amazon) and check out our How to Use a Kreg Jig Video HERE!

top-frameI attached the top frame with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws

bottom-frameand did the same for the bottom frame.

attach-bottom-frameNext, I flipped the top frame over and attached the bottom frame to it with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

attach-center-supportI flipped it back over and attached the center support with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws. You may need help flipping the bed back over, at this point, because it is heavy.

attach-cleatsFinally, I attached the 2×3 cleats with 2 1/2″ wood screws (I call for 2×2 in the plans because 2×3’s are not available in every region. Β If you do use 2×2’s for the cleats, get furring strips to save money). I like to use the Spax self-tapping screws. I find them at Home Depot and they are pricey but you don’t need to pre-drill with them! Β If you use regular wood screws, make sure to pre-drill first to prevent the wood from splitting.

Rustoleum_Dark_WalnutTo finish, I applied one-coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut Stain (you can find it HERE on Amazon). If you are buying your supplies at Home Depot, get the Varathane brand in Dark Walnut (it’s the same stain).

add-slatsWhen the bed was dry, the hubs and I took it inside and into our little man’s room! Β I used my Ryobi Airstrike Nailer to attach the 1×3 slats. Β I just spaced them out evenly and attached them to both cleats and the center support. You can use the cheap furring strips for this part, Just make sure they are smooth so they don’t tear-up your mattress.

slats-addedTo attach the headboard to the bed, I drilled 2 1/2″ spax screws from the backside of the headboard legs into the bottom and top frames of the platform.

Platform-Bed-Plans

how-to-build-a-platform-bed

Easy-DIY-Platform-BedI just love it so much and I’ve overheard our 11-year-oldΒ bragging to his friends (on a few occasions) that his mom built his bed – which is the best part for me πŸ˜‰

Don’t forget to check out the headboard plans HERE and if you like the wall color in his room (I’m obsessed!) you can read about it HERE! I have received a lot of questions about the quilt on his bed, it is from Pottery Barn Teen but, I bought it a couple of years ago so I’m not sure that it is still available.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Robbie Leanna on December 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm

IMPORTANT QUESTION. I’m wanting to make this bed frame I* have a queen size mattress I* want to know if I* use this same measurement for a full size will it fit just right . I* have a 9 month old that sleeps with me and crawls all over the place and not wanting any of the frame sticking out . If any one could let me know thank you so much !!

• Ramon on January 2, 2018 at 7:03 am

So, i just built this for a queen size bed, but followed all of the measurements of this project. On this sides, it extends an inch or so from the bed. However, at the foot of the bed, the platform extends out a couple of inches.

2. April Lynne on December 14, 2017 at 12:25 pm

how do you make this without the frame on top so nothing sticks out of the under the mattress? is that ok?

3. Jonathan Pulley on December 7, 2017 at 10:22 am

What is the weight like once this is put together? Seems as though it would be fairly heavy and difficult to move inside

4. Phipps Hadaway on December 6, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I built this and the dimensions are dead on. Thanks for the bed & headboard plans!

Actually may do second one but upsize it for Queen for the main bedroom and use hardwoods

5. David72 on December 5, 2017 at 8:06 am

Hello! I am making this for my daughter. She wants it painted white, should I use oil or later paint? This is my first furniture project, so I’m not really sure which paint to use.

6. Mary Bradley on September 7, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Hello! I have a couple of questions that may have already been answered: Why have open slats across the bed rather than planks close together in the way of a flat, platform bed? Wouldn’t a mattress (like a memory foam mattress) squish through the planks/beams? Any suggestions for creating a king sized bed that with hold a queen sized mattress and have the extra length go around the mattress? Thanks in advance!!

• Shanty2Chic on September 7, 2017 at 7:18 pm

You can move the slats as close as you want. You need to allow for some air to flow so that the mattress can breath. Most memory foam mattress require a special box spring that is flat, to prevent the mattress from squishing through. Not sure about the medication question. A king and queen are the same length. The width would be the only difference. Hope this helps!

7. Christie Corrao Love on August 22, 2017 at 5:50 am

My daughter’s room is 10″ x10″ and I want to make the full size version. Is it ok to make the sides more narrow so it fits the mattress size and is not as big of a foot print in such a small room?

• Shanty2Chic on August 22, 2017 at 7:16 am

• Bo on August 23, 2017 at 10:12 am

This is my sons bedroom and it’s also 10 x 10. It took me about 12 hrs total to make both the bed and headboard. It turned out great.

8. alaa lotfy on August 18, 2017 at 7:39 am

great, wow

9. Bo on August 10, 2017 at 10:35 pm

This was a great project!! I can’t believe I just made that!! Thank you for the plans!!

10. Will Lanier on July 15, 2017 at 2:53 pm

I just finished building my version of this bed. I must say my wife and I are well pleased with the results!

• Dary Van on July 19, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Would you mind sharing your measurements? I like that you have the end piece slightly extended out. Perfect for seating at the end of the bed.

• Will Lanier on August 5, 2017 at 9:49 pm

I added 6 inches to the width and 5 inches to the length. I’m still kinda trying to figure out how it came up that long! Happy accident is all I can say, but my aging cat is happy she has a step to help her get up now.

• Charity Taylor on August 4, 2017 at 12:49 pm

just a question, how did you get the headboard, is this in the plans as well?

• Will Lanier on August 5, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Yes, follow the link in the original post.

11. Kathleen Paton on June 17, 2017 at 4:52 pm

12. rp76net on June 5, 2017 at 11:35 am

I’m curious if anyone adapted this so that the box spring could be at least partially below the ledge?

13. Roger Boucher on May 31, 2017 at 12:35 pm

I made a twin bed for my son and it’s almost done. Just need to varnish it. It will be staying natural pine. I also used PL400 so there will be no movement of the bed frame!

14. Hailey on April 3, 2017 at 9:07 am

What are the measurements for a king size bed?

15. Julian Golder on February 5, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I can only find 2x8s in Douglas fir. Anyone in northern California know where to get 2x8s of any whitewood? Or found an alternative way to make this bed?

• Shanty2Chic on February 5, 2017 at 1:47 pm

You can use that! We buy which ever 2×8 wood species they carry!

16. Sissorelle Alice Ferox on January 16, 2017 at 5:48 pm

I just finished this myself, thank you, I will look into the headboard at a later date for another weekend project. πŸ™‚

17. Chris on January 12, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Looks like a great idea/plan. What would everyone recommend – With or without the headboard? If I build the bed first, would it be difficult to add the headboard later? 2017 resolution, dive head first into my passion for woodworking projects. Thanks!

18. Joey Curl on November 14, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Would this fit a 54” W x 75” L mattress?

19. Sparky Mahoney on October 22, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Thanks. I was looking for some simple platform ideas and this is exactly what I had in mind. I’d like to pass along some advice however that can save people a great deal of time and money in doing this.

First off, I’d stay away from pocket holes except the cap – and even then you don’t need to use them at all. Pocket holes have very weak shear strength. It’s fine for small cabinets, bookshelves, tables, etc. but for big heavy things like bed frames – and the mattress, and the blankets, and the people on them – not so much. And even here you used them incorrectly on the bottom part of the frame as you have them on the inside. That means the screws are heading into the end of the other boards, which is the weakest part and most likely to break under load. You should always be screwing towards the center of the board, never the outside/end. Seeing as you were staining it you wouldn’t even notice the filled and sanded holes afterward. The other major downside is Kreg jigs aren’t cheap so unless you plan on doing a lot of pocket holes in other things it’s a waste of money.

A lof ot people will tell you that just screwing the boards together – into the end grain – isn’t great either, and they’re right. However even that provides more shear strength than a pocket hole, particularly if the pre-drilled hole is counter-sunk and you use washers on your wood screws. That alone triples the shear strength right there because the surface area of the washer prevents the screw from being pulled in.

However, there’s an even better way to do this. There is hardware out there specifically designed for making bed frames. Use your fave search engine and look up “bed bolts” and “bed rail fasteners” and/or “bed rail brackets”. The brackets are the fastest, cheapest, and strongest option. Also they fit on the inside of the frame for those who don’t want bolt holes exposed like you get with bed bolts. And if you want to do it even cheaper just go get some galvanized steel deck brackets from your local big box store. They run about a buck each, so it doesn’t get any cheaper of faster than that. The upside to many of the bed hangers is it makes it easy to disassemble and move the bed too. Unscrewing things only weakens them.

I’ll be building one of these this week or next so I’ll take some shots to upload and show what I mean. I’ll also be capping out the frame with brass hex screws which looks really sexy. πŸ˜€

P.S. For all the people asking for queen sizes, the rule of thumb is you always want an inch or inch and half leeway so 62″ or 63″W and 82″ or 83″L is good. Your mattress is going to sink and stretch over time so giving it that bit of space means it doesn’t end up looking like a souffle at some point down the road.

• lisa on October 28, 2016 at 6:05 am

Do you have pictures of how your project is put together? Could your share your cuts for a queen size bed. Thanks

• Chris on January 12, 2017 at 4:00 pm

i am too interested in how your design came out especially for a queen size bed. Thanks!

20. Matthew LeRoy Watersfriend on September 25, 2016 at 1:54 am

thank you so much for the inspiration, i am a big guy so i went with a cal king version, and of course had to make it my own.

• Shanty2Chic on September 25, 2016 at 8:44 am

It looks AMAZING :)! Thanks for sharing!!

• kandiruacu on February 13, 2017 at 4:57 pm

I really like what you did with this bed frame, what kind of wood did you use and how did you finish it?

• Matthew LeRoy Watersfriend on February 13, 2017 at 7:31 pm

All cheep low quality Lowes Douglas fur for the frame and good quality pine for the headboard. Look for pieces with great grain and straight. Stay away from wet wood. Quality doesn’t matter, some of my favorite wood grains were the most roughed up but don’t worry about that because you are going to get a distressed look by taking a tiger paw on a angle grinder and smoothing everything out. Then take a wire brush with your angle grinder to distress the wood and raise the grain of the wood. Take your tiger paw and rough up the edges and sand lightly with 120 to take down any rough edges. And to finish I got some cheep minwax stains (dark walnut, cherry, grey, black, old American, and pine I think) on top of that is a couple coats of general finishes high performance poly. I would highly recommend all finishes from stains to dyes to poly to varnishes from general finishes they are the best I was just tight on cash and went with minwax.

• Jilian Zlateff on May 20, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Can you share your plans/measurements for the King?

21. chivette lover on August 8, 2016 at 12:15 pm

OK, I’m lost on an item. Yellow boards are 55″ and they sit on the inside edge of the other boards. That is 52″. So you can not have the yellow boards sit exactly on edge. Did you just split the difference? Is one side even with the edge?

22. Ryan Kuechenmeister on July 21, 2016 at 6:31 pm

This was so much fun to do! This is the first big project my wife and I took on since moving to Kauai. The bed turned out beautiful. We customized the measurements for a King and it worked great.

23. Bridget Quint on June 1, 2016 at 8:24 pm

I am building this bed this weekend and went out to get everything I need tonight. I’m curious what cuts I need to make. My mattress is full size so I plan on following the directions exactly. I see the drilling instructions but no indication of where to make cuts! Please advise, I’m excited to get to work!!

• Bridget Quint on June 1, 2016 at 8:28 pm

I think I just figured out the answer to my question… The cuts are the corresponding lengths shown on the first page of directions.. In inches… Below the arrows for drilling?

• Shanty2Chic on June 1, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Yes. There is a cut list on the plans πŸ™‚ good luck!

24. Madison Smith on May 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm

do you need a box spring for this bed? What kind of mattress did you use?

• bengalcatlover on January 24, 2017 at 11:32 pm

I know this is old, but in case anyone else reads this and is wondering!

You can add additional slats if you want to avoid the use of a box spring. How far apart you want the slats would depend upon the type of mattress, with latex mattresses having the most stringent requirements – ideally around 2.75″ between slats (no more than 3″), so you can’t go wrong with that. The warranty for your specific mattress may explicitly state what kind of support is required or else that warranty may be voided.

And in case you are wondering, you don’t want to just put down sheet plywood to bridge larger gaps, as lack of air to the bottom of the mattress risks the development of mold/mildew – particularly in humid climates. In the very least, you would want to put what’s called a “bed rug” between the plywood and your mattress to allow air circulation.

25. Rhonda Williamson on April 30, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Do you still need to add the slats if you are using a box spring and mattress?

26. Johnny on April 17, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Totally messed up measurements!. For example: Slats – 1 x 3 x 10′ and final length 52″. 1 and 3 can’t be foot’s because it’s impossible to have 30cm depth, 60 cm width. As far I can understand: Slats are: 1inch x 3inch x 10 foots, and final lenght after cut is 52inch right?

• Shanty2Chic on April 17, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I’m not sure I follow?? The 1x3x10 will be cut down to 52″ long. A 1×3 is actually .75 thick and 2.5″ wide.

27. Mackenzie Warren on March 10, 2016 at 4:44 pm

where did you buy the wood? I want to built this for my house in Montana! I am a broke college student with time on my hands and think it would be perfect!

28. The JuiceArtist on December 25, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Thank you for the plans, however they are useless without any measurements on them for the pocket holes. Very confusing and I am fairly experienced when woodworking. And what size bed is this for?

• Shanty2Chic on December 25, 2015 at 7:25 pm

The plans state (at the top of the cut list) to drill pocket holes for 2 1/2″ pocket hole screw. The tutorial also mentions to set your Kreg Jig for 1 1/2″ pocket holes. The paragraph under the “Click HERE for Plans” states that this is a full size bed plan. I’m not sure how much more I could have explained it. Thanks!

• The JuiceArtist on December 29, 2015 at 11:00 am

I saw the heading about drilling pocket hole screws on the arrows. It’s the measurements that are missing from the plans. The arrows are just randomly in places. I can figure it out the math and choose places to put them, just wanted to clarify if there were any more technical plans you have that were more precise? I do appreciate your time and love your site.

• Shanty2Chic on December 29, 2015 at 11:21 am

The plans DO state the measurement depth for the pocket holes. There is only one depth for a 2 1/2″ pocket hole screw.

• The JuiceArtist on December 29, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I think this is getting lost in translation. Not the depth..the distance. No worries.

• Shanty2Chic on December 29, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Oh, got it. Sorry! The distance doesn’t matter πŸ™‚ I just eye ball…

• The JuiceArtist on December 29, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I was attempting to build off the plans instead of reading line by line of what you did and compare that to the plans. Your plans don’t have measurements on the placement. No worries. After careful reading out of the whole blog, it says “you just spaced them evenly” instead of drawing the plans accordingly. Sorry for the hassle.

• chivette lover on August 8, 2016 at 12:11 pm

you cannot be “fairly experienced” if a bed frame is to much for you

29. JK John Hitman on November 22, 2015 at 2:08 am

I took your platform bed and made a few design changes to make it into 12 drawer captains bed for my 8 year old. He loves it.

• Ashley K on August 22, 2016 at 1:04 am

Love, love love! :-O Congratulations (: The colors are beautiful! Would you mind sharing how much project cost you in supplies, including or excluding the drawers? I would love to know. Thanks!

30. Dalecia on November 10, 2015 at 12:13 am

How would you convert this into a twin bed?

31. BusinessTeacherInMO on November 8, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Thank you so much, ladies, for your great designs and sharing of your plans! Here are my results for my CaliKing!

• Shanty2Chic on November 9, 2015 at 7:28 am

Looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with us πŸ™‚

32. BusinessTeacherInMO on November 8, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for such awesome designs and sharing your plans! Love what you ladies are doing! Here is my final results of my California King.

33. Brian on October 16, 2015 at 8:12 pm

The finished bed

• B3NZ0 on April 12, 2017 at 5:41 pm

what size bed is this for? Queen?

• Brian on April 12, 2017 at 7:25 pm

This was a king size. 2 years later and it still looks great and very sturdy.

Be sure to make sure it fits in the bedroom doorway. I learned the hard way, as I assembled it outside then realized it wouldn’t fit through the door. Had to partially disassemble then reassemble in the bedroom.

• Emily Laurent on October 5, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Do you happen to have the measurements?

34. Brian on October 16, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I built a King Platform bed from your Plans and I couldn’t be happier how it came out. Thank you for the inspiration.

My suggestion for anyone building the king size is to make sure you assemble it in the room you plan to use it. I realized after assembly round #1 that it was too big put together to fill in the door frame.

35. HOLLIE on September 25, 2015 at 7:26 pm

My husband and I would love to build this bed but add drawers underneath, any recommendations.

• Shanty2Chic on September 25, 2015 at 7:53 pm

We actually recently posted a bed that is a platform with drawers!

36. Pam Irving on September 23, 2015 at 9:32 am

Thanks soooo much for the inspiration! My daughter bought her first house recently. There was a potting bench made of beautifully weathered pallets left in the back yard…she wanted a bed for her birthday…I saw this post…voila! The universes collided!

She and I tore the pallets apart. Hubby and I built it with your directions while making a few minor mods (altering the size to queen and making the headboard to hang from the wall using French cleats…to keep the headboard from banging the wall every time “Baby” jumps on the bed ????) I used three colors of stain and combinations of the three to get the interesting boards. I also painted the plywood backer black so the gaps between the irregular boards would disappear.

Beautiful bed, happy daughter! Thank you!

• Shanty2Chic on September 23, 2015 at 9:41 am

So pretty and great use of pallets! Thank you for sharing:))))

37. Scott Dunn on September 14, 2015 at 9:28 am

So to make sure I have the mathi right. Can someone verify? This is for a king.

• Virginia Rothenflue on November 18, 2015 at 9:40 am

Scott – Did your measurements work? I’m planning on building the king size today. Thanks in advance!!

38. manon on August 25, 2015 at 2:58 pm

can someone convert me the lenghts in centimers? please!!

39. Trina Hoover on August 20, 2015 at 4:12 pm

We did two of these and we are totally 2 novices. This was a great first project… and we did them in twin size taking 15″ off of the width.

40. Ted on August 14, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Does anyone know if the 2 by 8 by 10 foot if both pieces of the 10 foot,are cut at 52 inches ( is there 2 pieces at 52inches)of the 10foot 2by 8

41. Carter on August 6, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Did you sand the wood before staining it?

42. Jillian on June 28, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Do you happen to have the headboard instructions?

43. I wanted to splurge! on June 8, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I had several screws come out through the other side of my wood. I had my KREG set at 1 1/2 and I used 2 1/2 inch screws, so not sure what I did wrong πŸ™

• Shanty2Chic on June 8, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Did you set the depth collar on the bit?

• I wanted to splurge! on June 9, 2015 at 9:29 am

Yes, I did

44. Rich on May 30, 2015 at 1:32 pm

After constructing this bed and reading some of the comments, I think if you included dimensions, instead of leaving it to a lot of guess work, the project would not be so challenging for some folks. Just sayin. Anyway the bed turned out great. Thanks.

45. Kelsie MacKenzie on May 21, 2015 at 1:24 pm

I don’t have a nail gun. Should I use wood screws or just regular nails with a hammer? Thanks!

46. Emily Slominski on May 13, 2015 at 11:51 am

I am new to diy, but I’m looking for easy projects to take on to save money for when me and my boyfriend get our own place. I love your plans and they are so easy to follow and of course turn out incredible. I have been desperately looking for a bed frame for my bed. It is a queen tempurpedic on an adjustable motorized frame. So there is a motor located vertically in the center supported by a 40″ by 58″ metal frame. The upholstered outer frame is currently 4″ from the ground with the metal frame being 8″ front the ground. would love a wood frame for our bed to sit in. Storage is not a necessity but I do want it to have the platform framed in wood look. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

47. Aaron on April 28, 2015 at 11:36 am

If I were modifying the plan for a California King, would I use the same dimensions as a King by adding 22″ to the width and 5″ to the length?

• Shanty2Chic on May 20, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Yes, but a Cali King is longer. You can google mattress dimensions and see the exact measurements.

• Pete on October 7, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Wouldn’t the length to increase be, 18″ to the width and 9″ to the length, being a Cal King is 72×84? I am about to start on this platform for my Cal King and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something here. Awesome job on the platform and plans btw!! Thank you sooo much for posting all the pictures and plans. I can’t wait to get this thing built.

• Shanty2Chic on October 7, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Yes, you will make it wider and longer based on a Cal King measurement. The plans are for a full size mattress πŸ™‚

• Pete on October 7, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Thank You again Shanty2Chic; YOU ROCK!!!

48. Laura Tilus on April 2, 2015 at 7:38 am

lol nvm just saw the “here” linlk πŸ™‚

49. Laura Tilus on April 2, 2015 at 7:37 am

I’m a little late to the party.

Is there a separate post on the headboard?

50. Kate on March 31, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Hi! Thanks for the plans and the inspiration. My 13 year old son and I are going to try to make this together. We visited our Home Depot this weekend, however, they did not have the white board or pine in these large sizes – only for the slats. We had to purchase framing boards instead (Douglas fir). I’m hoping it will look as great as yours. Unfortunately, my cost to build is already $150 (including the device to make the holes @$39). I will keep you posted with the results in case anyone else has trouble finding the wood like I did. Thanks again for the plans!

• Shanty2Chic on March 31, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Can’t wait to see it! I did use the fir for the 2x boards. I’m guessing your cost is high because you went with pine slats? I used furring strips for the slats and those are about $2 each.

51. Griff on March 30, 2015 at 1:44 pm

How did you build the headboard? I was also thinking about adding some side supports for the mattress to fit in. That way it doesn’t move. Great Job. I will be building one for a King size select comfort.

52. Jordan Wilbur on March 15, 2015 at 9:05 am

As a furniture salesperson, I highly recommend that you add center feet to the center bar of this bed. I realize it is a 2×4, but without those center feet, that board will begin to bow, bend, and sag, resulting in a sagging mattress. Most mattress companies will not warranty mattresses without those center feet, we recommend 3 feet. Weight on a bed adds up quickly. Two adults, weight of mattress and bedding, easily reaches 400-500lbs for 6-9 hours a night. That’s a lot of weight on one center bar. The slats won’t hold that much weight, and also may want to consider adding a “bunkie board”, sold at mattress stores, or lay a piece of plywood over the slats for a flat surface. Over a period of time you will see a wave effect on the bottom of your mattress which will ultimately change the way your mattress feels, especially if you have an all foam or pocketed coil mattress.

• S. Coates on April 20, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Do NOT put plywood over the slats. Mattresses need to breathe and if they can’t they will grow mold that will make you very sick. That is why you have slats or a box spring- so the mattress will still get clean air.

• Jordan Wilbur on April 21, 2015 at 3:41 pm

If you are concerned about air ventilation, then at least buy a “bunkie board”, it’s essientially a 1″ foundation that is built like a regular foundation.. The slat only method with warp your mattress.

• Jeannine Davis on October 13, 2015 at 11:50 pm

yes it will

• Jeannine Davis on October 13, 2015 at 11:49 pm

When a mattress lays on a boxspring it does not breath either

53. Jennifer Waltering on February 19, 2015 at 1:23 am

My husband and I saw this and HAD to build it. We had been looking at frames at stores and they are so expensive. Thank you so much for this, it was so easy and with both of us building it, it only took about 2 hours and then we had to let the stain dry. Very easy construction, but soooooo heavy. We wont be moving it for a while now lol.

54. Nadia Torres on February 12, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I’m planning on building this but im kind of lost on the plans measurements. When I went to home depot to get the wood they don’t have any 1 * 3 * 10 they have it by 8 can i use that size? and they also said it would be soo big considering the full size bed measures 75 x 54.

• Nick Womack on April 21, 2015 at 8:54 am

Typically in these plans when blue prints call for a 10 foot board when nothing about the piece is over 8 foot (the typical length of boards most would buy) is because it’s more cost effective. Whatever they are using it for requires 2 boards less than 5 feet each. So they buy 1 10 footer and cut it down, saving money. I couldn’t get a 10 foot board home safely myself, so if I were to build this I’d have to replace any 10 ft boards with 2 8 footers. Or ask the fine people at Lowe’s/Home Depot/other lumber place to cut down the 10 footer for me.

55. Misty McCoy on February 8, 2015 at 1:50 pm

My husband built this bed yesterday afternoon and we are super excited about how it turned out. Printable plans were easy to follow. Thanks for sharing!

56. jeka on January 27, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Hello in a previous comment you said to add 22″ to the width and 5 to the length. which is which!?! Please help πŸ˜€

For example the 2x8x10 is the yellow piece. And it is 52″ in is that in length or width? The directions say add 22″ to the width and 5″ to the length, how would I do that?

Is it 52+22=74 (is that the width)??

then where do i add the 5??

Sorry not good at geometry apparently!

Jeka

• Nick Womack on April 21, 2015 at 8:57 am

I know I’m replying way after here but anyone else reading this remember that all you have to do is figure the size difference between a full size bed (size the plans are for) and the size you’re wanting to build. Next the Width is from side to side. Length is from head board to foot board. Think about how a mattress is. Is a king a lot wider or longer than a full size mattress?

57. Hudzonater on January 18, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Im sorry but lm really late here. Love the bed. Only question for anyone is what did everyone make it out of 2×6 or 2×8. It looks like to me half and half not sure. If l can get some help that would be great. Thxs

58. Desiree on January 11, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I cannot locate any 2x in pine or whitewood in my area what other wood do you recommend

• Nick Womack on April 21, 2015 at 8:58 am

Douglas Fir/Fur is the typical type of lumber found at many Lowes/Home Depots and I’d believe will work fine. I’ve seen other plans for tables and such that called for whatever white construction grade lumber you can find.

59. Stephanie on December 10, 2014 at 8:23 am

California King dimensions ?

60. Shenanigans I say! on December 4, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Just as a friendly reminder to those of you who are going to try this with the queen or kind sized dimensions. DO NOT forget that you will need to replace the 2x8x10 sized board with a 2x8x12. This is very important, because you will not be able to cut your 2x8x10 piece into 2 61″ lengths and you will end up having to purchase another piece.

61. monee2000 on December 2, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I might be confused, but are there box springs on the bed? Are they not needed? I’ve never had a bed without them…

• Shanty2Chic on December 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm

You can use box springs if you want but our platform beds do not use them. The cleats and slats inside the frame take the place of a box spring. Hope this helps πŸ™‚

• monee2000 on December 2, 2014 at 2:32 pm

It does indeed! Thank you for your reply – and your constant inspiration!

62. Lauren Alexandra Wyer on November 26, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Dimensions for a California King Size bed? πŸ™‚

• Jordan Wilbur on April 21, 2015 at 3:43 pm

72″ wide by 84″ long but all mattresses can vary by an inch or two

63. ashley on November 11, 2014 at 7:13 pm

So I’m pretty good at following directions and I think I could put the bed together but not so much for figuring out the plans. My boyfriend and I absolutely LOVE this bed frame and headboard and are going to build it next week! What would be the dimensions for a king size mattress? Thank you! Love your site!!

• Shanty2Chic on November 11, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Ashley!
      Add 22″ to the width and 5 inches to the length πŸ™‚

• ashley on November 11, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Thank you!!! πŸ˜€

• Tasha Anderson on February 6, 2015 at 10:09 am

Yes I too would love if you could post the dimensions for the King size, I know nothing about building but if I had the plans to give my husband then he could do it for us, thank you!

• LIZ on April 15, 2015 at 7:26 am

do you need to use slats or can you just continue across (2’x8′) with the wide boards and make it a solid piece?

• Shanty2Chic on April 15, 2015 at 7:58 am

If you are not using a box spring you really need slats to let your mattress breathe.

• Kevin8967 on January 15, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Here is my shot at the bed. The instructions were great! I have been INSPIRED!!

• Kevin8967 on January 15, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Here is another one I’m working on. I added the handmade woodart to jazz it up a bit. Still working of the bed now that head board is done!

• Lauren Alexandra Wyer on November 25, 2014 at 10:40 pm

HI there,
        We are looking forward to building this bed as well! Any chance you could post the dimensions for a california king? πŸ™‚

• Ashley on December 11, 2014 at 4:12 pm

It turned out absolutely AMAZING!!!! We are soo happy with it!! Thanks again for adjusting the measurements for me! I can’t wait to make more project from your site!!! Night stands will be our next one I think πŸ˜‰

• jeka on January 27, 2015 at 11:10 pm

What where the dimensions you used!? Please help πŸ˜€

Is it 52+22=74 (is that the width)??

then where do i add the 5??

Sorry not good at geometry apparently!

Jeka

• Ashley on January 28, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Yes, you are correct. So add 22″ to all of the measurements following the direction of the yellow board – that is the width. And then add 5″ to the length which would be the green board. I don’t have the paper where I did all the math to each board but just follow the colors. Green, pink and red are length. Teal, dark blue, yellow and white are the width.

• Amy on April 24, 2015 at 5:58 am

did you change the height from the original plans for the headboard? what color stain did you use for the platform?

64. Emily Weaver on November 11, 2014 at 7:03 am

How would you adjust these plans for a twin size bed? Trying to make Christmas present for my sister!

• Shanty2Chic on November 11, 2014 at 7:14 am

Hi Emily,
      Subtract 15″ from the width!

• Bri Mikec on April 6, 2015 at 6:24 am

Hi there!

I was just wondering if you would have plans for a twin sized bed? It looks like I would have a lot of wasted material if I’m subtracting 15″. Is this true? Do you have a rough estimate as to what the total material cost was for this entire platform and headboard?

Thank you!
        -Brian

65. Julio on October 31, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Dimensions for queen size bed???

• Shanty2Chic on November 7, 2014 at 8:44 am

Add 6″ to the width and 5″ to the length πŸ™‚

66. Melissa D on October 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm

How would I go about changing the dimensions to fit a king size mattress?

67. Taylor Skelton on September 21, 2014 at 9:28 pm

So excited that I saw this on pinterest! I’ve been wanting a bed like this and trying to convince hubby that we can build it, so I’m so glad that you posted a plan! I’m not quite sure how to convert the measurements to queen size but I’m excited to try!!

68. Tracey on September 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

Could you please share the dimensions to fit a twin size bed?

69. Andrea on September 8, 2014 at 10:48 am

i see you used 52″ for the slats. Is that the width of your son’s full size bed? I’m converting the plans to fit a queen size bed and the standard full size mattress measures out to 54″x 75″ so I wanted to make sure that was what you were working with. Thanks!

70. Megan Christina Drenthe on September 6, 2014 at 7:21 am

How would you convert the plans to a queen sized bed?

• Shenanigans I say! on November 25, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Hey Megan. I may be a little late here, but the “standard” size for most queen size mattresses is 60″ X 80,” which is 6″ wider and 5″ longer than a standard full size. Therefore, you can adjust these plans by adding an additional 6 inches to all of the width cuts and an additional 5 inches to all of the length cuts.

For example:

The dimension cuts for the bottom support width piece (yellow in the free plans) is 55 inches. To achieve the desired queen size you are looking for, increase this cut to 61 inches. So-on and so-forth for the rest of the cuts.

Hope this helps!

• Olena Pazderska on September 6, 2015 at 10:24 am

Did anyone take a stab at translating all the measurements into Queen? I feel like some pieces stay the same while others change and if you don’t get them all right, you will have to buy all of them all over again.

• Jason Rockenbach on September 18, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I working on a queen right now. I’m making it 6 inches wider and 5 inches longer.

So far it is going well. The 2x8x10 will not be able to long enough to produce two pieces. I had to go back to the store. Same with the1x3x10 slats.

• Kelsey Radford on July 13, 2016 at 11:55 am

This is my first ever attempt at a woodwork project. Could someone please help to decipher what I’ll need as a supply list to build a queen bed? It’s currently at:
            1 x 3 x 10’ 8 Furring strips for the slats
            2 x 8 x 10’ 1 Pine or whitewood board
            2 x 8 x 8’ 2 Pine or whitewood board
            2 x 6 x 8’ 3 Pine or whitewood board
            2 x 4 x 8’ 1 Pine or whitewood board
            2 x 2 x 8’ 3 Pine or whitewood board

Thanks in advance! Just want to make sure that I get the right amount of wood. πŸ™‚

• Carah Counts on January 10, 2015 at 1:40 pm

lmao i was looking at this thinking “that looks just like megan’s bed… i bet she used this site”

71. BourbonGhost on August 25, 2014 at 6:29 am

What kind of wood did you use? Was it treated?

• Andrea on September 8, 2014 at 10:51 am

It calls for whitewood or pine, but I think she used pine.

72. Fox and Finch on August 21, 2014 at 12:13 am

Oh, I love that your son told his friends that you built the bed. My sister is a general contractor and I always get a kick of pride when I tell people. And, here comes the boast, she lives in Florida which has an extremely difficult test to pass for the license. When she took the test, she was the only woman among 700 men. You go, Girl!
    My other sister was the second woman to graduate from the University of Wisconsin, Platteville, with a degree in agronomy.
    I enjoy being proud of them…because….I haven’t done a damn thing.

• Diane Aiken Gatewood on June 10, 2015 at 9:25 am

Are you the middle child? lol! I am the middle of three girls and though I’ve had and still have a great life, I did not have the ‘recognized’ accomplishments as did my sisters. (I also live stress free!😁)

73. Todd on August 20, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Would really like to see the king plans

• Ryan Kuechenmeister on July 21, 2016 at 6:28 pm

We simply added 16″ to the width and kept the length boards the same as the plan for our king mattress. This resulted (because I thought the plan was for a queen) in less platform protruding from the sides of the mattress. I also added another 2″x4″ down the center to compensate for the additional width (as seen in the picture) Personally, I like it better.

74. Val Frania on August 20, 2014 at 8:50 am

This plan would be great modified to have a storage space below, either with drawers or maybe even with the bed on hinges to lift it up. Hmmm…

75. Margo Lake on August 19, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I was wondering…….do you absolultely have to use a Kreg Jig to build this platform bed?

• kylara70 on August 21, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Nope! You sure do not. You could put this together MANY different ways, including screws, brackets, and other corner hardware. You could use corner hardware externally to give it a unique industrial look, or just hide it on the inside.

76. Summer Goins on August 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

Do u have any ideas what it would be for a king size bed?? lol. I always seem to get it wrong when I get to measuring things I am not sure of. πŸ™‚

• jeka on January 27, 2015 at 10:45 pm

She said to “Add 22″ to the width and 5 inches to the length :)”

• Pete on October 7, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Wouldn’t the length to increase by be, 18″ to the width and 9″ to the length, being a Cal King is 72×84?

77. Ashlee Ault on August 19, 2014 at 9:09 am

Did you attach to the headboard by drilling 2.5″ pocket holes on the underside of the frame on the platform bed or where did you drill in the screws?

• Shanty2Chic on August 19, 2014 at 9:14 am

I’m sorry, I wasn’t very clear on that! I drilled from the backside of the headboard legs into the bottom base and top frame of the platform:)

• Ashlee Ault on August 19, 2014 at 9:20 am

Perfect, thanks! You girls are SO inspiring!