Easy DIY Platform Bed

Hey guys!  I’m back to share the Easy DIY Platform Bed that I made for my son 🙂

Easy-DIY-Platform-BedIf you missed the Free Plans for the Planked Headboard, you can check them out HERE! I saw a platform bed in a West Elm catalog and loved how chunky the base and platform were, so that was my inspiration and I built it for about $55!!!

Just click the image below or HERE to print them!Easy DIY Platform Bed
This is a VERY EASY piece to build so it is perfect if you are a beginner! Here’s how I built it! This plan is for a full size bed but it is very easy to adjust the measurements to accommodate another size 🙂

Easy DIY Platform Bed

make-cutsI started by making all of my cuts for my top and bottom frame. Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

drill-pocket-holesThen, I drilled all of my pocket holes with my Kreg Jig set for 1 1/2″ thick boards. (You can find the Kreg Jig HERE on Amazon) and check out our How to Use a Kreg Jig Video HERE!

top-frameI attached the top frame with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws

bottom-frameand did the same for the bottom frame.

attach-bottom-frameNext, I flipped the top frame over and attached the bottom frame to it with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

attach-center-supportI flipped it back over and attached the center support with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws. You may need help flipping the bed back over, at this point, because it is heavy.

attach-cleatsFinally, I attached the 2×3 cleats with 2 1/2″ wood screws (I call for 2×2 in the plans because 2×3’s are not available in every region.  If you do use 2×2’s for the cleats, get furring strips to save money). I like to use the Spax self-tapping screws. I find them at Home Depot and they are pricey but you don’t need to pre-drill with them!  If you use regular wood screws, make sure to pre-drill first to prevent the wood from splitting.

Rustoleum_Dark_WalnutTo finish, I applied one-coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut Stain (you can find it HERE on Amazon). If you are buying your supplies at Home Depot, get the Varathane brand in Dark Walnut (it’s the same stain).

add-slatsWhen the bed was dry, the hubs and I took it inside and into our little man’s room!  I used my Ryobi Airstrike Nailer to attach the 1×3 slats.  I just spaced them out evenly and attached them to both cleats and the center support. You can use the cheap furring strips for this part, Just make sure they are smooth so they don’t tear-up your mattress.

slats-addedTo attach the headboard to the bed, I drilled 2 1/2″ spax screws from the backside of the headboard legs into the bottom and top frames of the platform.

Platform-Bed-Plans

how-to-build-a-platform-bed

Easy-DIY-Platform-BedI just love it so much and I’ve overheard our 11-year-old bragging to his friends (on a few occasions) that his mom built his bed – which is the best part for me 😉

Don’t forget to check out the headboard plans HERE and if you like the wall color in his room (I’m obsessed!) you can read about it HERE! I have received a lot of questions about the quilt on his bed, it is from Pottery Barn Teen but, I bought it a couple of years ago so I’m not sure that it is still available.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Desiree on January 11, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I cannot locate any 2x in pine or whitewood in my area what other wood do you recommend

• Nick Womack on April 21, 2015 at 8:58 am

Douglas Fir/Fur is the typical type of lumber found at many Lowes/Home Depots and I’d believe will work fine. I’ve seen other plans for tables and such that called for whatever white construction grade lumber you can find.

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 1:05 am

I LOVE the platform bed I built! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org to build it – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

www. EasyWoodwork.org – click the red link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

• Marc on June 27, 2018 at 4:14 am

Can anyone block this Ted’s woodworking guy? He’s flooded Pinterest with ads. Sometimes you’re trying to view a pin that’s interesting but it re-directs you to his ad. Very annoying.

2. Stephanie on December 10, 2014 at 8:23 am

California King dimensions ?

3. Shenanigans I say! on December 4, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Just as a friendly reminder to those of you who are going to try this with the queen or kind sized dimensions. DO NOT forget that you will need to replace the 2x8x10 sized board with a 2x8x12. This is very important, because you will not be able to cut your 2x8x10 piece into 2 61″ lengths and you will end up having to purchase another piece.

• Robyn on February 27, 2018 at 8:58 am

So to
      Make this a queen just replace 2x8x10 with 2x8x12? Do I need to replace any other boards with bigger ones?

• Tessa on March 15, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Did those measurement work for you?

4. monee2000 on December 2, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I might be confused, but are there box springs on the bed? Are they not needed? I’ve never had a bed without them…

• Shanty2Chic on December 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm

You can use box springs if you want but our platform beds do not use them. The cleats and slats inside the frame take the place of a box spring. Hope this helps 🙂

• monee2000 on December 2, 2014 at 2:32 pm

It does indeed! Thank you for your reply – and your constant inspiration!

5. Lauren Alexandra Wyer on November 26, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Dimensions for a California King Size bed? 🙂

• Jordan Wilbur on April 21, 2015 at 3:43 pm

72″ wide by 84″ long but all mattresses can vary by an inch or two

6. ashley on November 11, 2014 at 7:13 pm

So I’m pretty good at following directions and I think I could put the bed together but not so much for figuring out the plans. My boyfriend and I absolutely LOVE this bed frame and headboard and are going to build it next week! What would be the dimensions for a king size mattress? Thank you! Love your site!!

• Shanty2Chic on November 11, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Ashley!
      Add 22″ to the width and 5 inches to the length 🙂

• ashley on November 11, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Thank you!!! 😀

• Tasha Anderson on February 6, 2015 at 10:09 am

Yes I too would love if you could post the dimensions for the King size, I know nothing about building but if I had the plans to give my husband then he could do it for us, thank you!

• LIZ on April 15, 2015 at 7:26 am

do you need to use slats or can you just continue across (2’x8′) with the wide boards and make it a solid piece?

• Shanty2Chic on April 15, 2015 at 7:58 am

If you are not using a box spring you really need slats to let your mattress breathe.

• Kevin8967 on January 15, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Here is my shot at the bed. The instructions were great! I have been INSPIRED!!

• Kevin8967 on January 15, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Here is another one I’m working on. I added the handmade woodart to jazz it up a bit. Still working of the bed now that head board is done!

• Lauren Alexandra Wyer on November 25, 2014 at 10:40 pm

HI there,
        We are looking forward to building this bed as well! Any chance you could post the dimensions for a california king? 🙂

• Ashley on December 11, 2014 at 4:12 pm

It turned out absolutely AMAZING!!!! We are soo happy with it!! Thanks again for adjusting the measurements for me! I can’t wait to make more project from your site!!! Night stands will be our next one I think 😉

• jeka on January 27, 2015 at 11:10 pm

What where the dimensions you used!? Please help 😀

For example the 2x8x10 is the yellow piece. And it is 52″ in is that in length or width? The directions say add 22″ to the width and 5″ to the length, how would I do that?

Is it 52+22=74 (is that the width)??

then where do i add the 5??

Sorry not good at geometry apparently!

Jeka

• Ashley on January 28, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Yes, you are correct. So add 22″ to all of the measurements following the direction of the yellow board – that is the width. And then add 5″ to the length which would be the green board. I don’t have the paper where I did all the math to each board but just follow the colors. Green, pink and red are length. Teal, dark blue, yellow and white are the width.

• Amy on April 24, 2015 at 5:58 am

did you change the height from the original plans for the headboard? what color stain did you use for the platform?

7. Emily Weaver on November 11, 2014 at 7:03 am

How would you adjust these plans for a twin size bed? Trying to make Christmas present for my sister!

• Shanty2Chic on November 11, 2014 at 7:14 am

Hi Emily,
      Subtract 15″ from the width!

• Bri Mikec on April 6, 2015 at 6:24 am

Hi there!

I was just wondering if you would have plans for a twin sized bed? It looks like I would have a lot of wasted material if I’m subtracting 15″. Is this true? Do you have a rough estimate as to what the total material cost was for this entire platform and headboard?

Thank you!
        -Brian

8. Julio on October 31, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Dimensions for queen size bed???

• Shanty2Chic on November 7, 2014 at 8:44 am

Add 6″ to the width and 5″ to the length 🙂

9. Melissa D on October 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm

How would I go about changing the dimensions to fit a king size mattress?

10. Taylor Skelton on September 21, 2014 at 9:28 pm

So excited that I saw this on pinterest! I’ve been wanting a bed like this and trying to convince hubby that we can build it, so I’m so glad that you posted a plan! I’m not quite sure how to convert the measurements to queen size but I’m excited to try!!

11. Tracey on September 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

Could you please share the dimensions to fit a twin size bed?

12. Andrea on September 8, 2014 at 10:48 am

i see you used 52″ for the slats. Is that the width of your son’s full size bed? I’m converting the plans to fit a queen size bed and the standard full size mattress measures out to 54″x 75″ so I wanted to make sure that was what you were working with. Thanks!

13. Megan Christina Drenthe on September 6, 2014 at 7:21 am

How would you convert the plans to a queen sized bed?

• Shenanigans I say! on November 25, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Hey Megan. I may be a little late here, but the “standard” size for most queen size mattresses is 60″ X 80,” which is 6″ wider and 5″ longer than a standard full size. Therefore, you can adjust these plans by adding an additional 6 inches to all of the width cuts and an additional 5 inches to all of the length cuts.

For example:

The dimension cuts for the bottom support width piece (yellow in the free plans) is 55 inches. To achieve the desired queen size you are looking for, increase this cut to 61 inches. So-on and so-forth for the rest of the cuts.

Hope this helps!

• Olena Pazderska on September 6, 2015 at 10:24 am

Did anyone take a stab at translating all the measurements into Queen? I feel like some pieces stay the same while others change and if you don’t get them all right, you will have to buy all of them all over again.

• Jason Rockenbach on September 18, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I working on a queen right now. I’m making it 6 inches wider and 5 inches longer.

So far it is going well. The 2x8x10 will not be able to long enough to produce two pieces. I had to go back to the store. Same with the1x3x10 slats.

• Kelsey Radford on July 13, 2016 at 11:55 am

This is my first ever attempt at a woodwork project. Could someone please help to decipher what I’ll need as a supply list to build a queen bed? It’s currently at:
            1 x 3 x 10’ 8 Furring strips for the slats
            2 x 8 x 10’ 1 Pine or whitewood board
            2 x 8 x 8’ 2 Pine or whitewood board
            2 x 6 x 8’ 3 Pine or whitewood board
            2 x 4 x 8’ 1 Pine or whitewood board
            2 x 2 x 8’ 3 Pine or whitewood board

Thanks in advance! Just want to make sure that I get the right amount of wood. 🙂

• Carah Counts on January 10, 2015 at 1:40 pm

lmao i was looking at this thinking “that looks just like megan’s bed… i bet she used this site”

14. BourbonGhost on August 25, 2014 at 6:29 am

What kind of wood did you use? Was it treated?

• Andrea on September 8, 2014 at 10:51 am

It calls for whitewood or pine, but I think she used pine.

15. Fox and Finch on August 21, 2014 at 12:13 am

Oh, I love that your son told his friends that you built the bed. My sister is a general contractor and I always get a kick of pride when I tell people. And, here comes the boast, she lives in Florida which has an extremely difficult test to pass for the license. When she took the test, she was the only woman among 700 men. You go, Girl!
    My other sister was the second woman to graduate from the University of Wisconsin, Platteville, with a degree in agronomy.
    I enjoy being proud of them…because….I haven’t done a damn thing.

• Diane Aiken Gatewood on June 10, 2015 at 9:25 am

Are you the middle child? lol! I am the middle of three girls and though I’ve had and still have a great life, I did not have the ‘recognized’ accomplishments as did my sisters. (I also live stress free!😁)

16. Todd on August 20, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Would really like to see the king plans

• Ryan Kuechenmeister on July 21, 2016 at 6:28 pm

We simply added 16″ to the width and kept the length boards the same as the plan for our king mattress. This resulted (because I thought the plan was for a queen) in less platform protruding from the sides of the mattress. I also added another 2″x4″ down the center to compensate for the additional width (as seen in the picture) Personally, I like it better.

17. Val Frania on August 20, 2014 at 8:50 am

This plan would be great modified to have a storage space below, either with drawers or maybe even with the bed on hinges to lift it up. Hmmm…

18. Margo Lake on August 19, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I was wondering…….do you absolultely have to use a Kreg Jig to build this platform bed?

• kylara70 on August 21, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Nope! You sure do not. You could put this together MANY different ways, including screws, brackets, and other corner hardware. You could use corner hardware externally to give it a unique industrial look, or just hide it on the inside.

19. Summer Goins on August 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

Do u have any ideas what it would be for a king size bed?? lol. I always seem to get it wrong when I get to measuring things I am not sure of. 🙂

• jeka on January 27, 2015 at 10:45 pm

She said to “Add 22″ to the width and 5 inches to the length :)”

• Pete on October 7, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Wouldn’t the length to increase by be, 18″ to the width and 9″ to the length, being a Cal King is 72×84?

20. Ashlee Ault on August 19, 2014 at 9:09 am

Did you attach to the headboard by drilling 2.5″ pocket holes on the underside of the frame on the platform bed or where did you drill in the screws?

• Shanty2Chic on August 19, 2014 at 9:14 am

I’m sorry, I wasn’t very clear on that! I drilled from the backside of the headboard legs into the bottom base and top frame of the platform:)

• Ashlee Ault on August 19, 2014 at 9:20 am

Perfect, thanks! You girls are SO inspiring!