Easy DIY Platform Bed

This Easy DIY Platform Bed is the perfect build for beginners! Get the free plans and how-to tutorial at www.shanty-2-chic.com!

I’m back to share the Easy DIY Platform Bed that I made for my son 🙂 If you missed the Free Plans for the Planked Headboard, you can check them out HERE! I saw a platform bed in a West Elm catalog and loved how chunky the base and platform were, so that was my inspiration and I built it for about $55!!!

CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO THE FREE PRINTABLE PLANS
Easy-DIY-Platform-Bed

This is a VERY EASY piece to build so it is perfect if you are a beginner! Here’s how I built it! This plan is for a full size bed but it is very easy to adjust the measurements to accommodate another size 🙂

Easy DIY Platform Bed

make-cuts

I started by making all of my cuts for my top and bottom frame. Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

drill-pocket-holes

Then, I drilled all of my pocket holes with my Kreg Jig set for 1 1/2″ thick boards. (You can find the Kreg Jig HERE on Amazon) and check out our How to Use a Kreg Jig Video HERE!

top-frame

I attached the top frame with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws

bottom-frame

and did the same for the bottom frame.

attach-bottom-frame

Next, I flipped the top frame over and attached the bottom frame to it with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

attach-center-support

I flipped it back over and attached the center support with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws. You may need help flipping the bed back over, at this point, because it is heavy.

attach-cleats

Finally, I attached the 2×3 cleats with 2 1/2″ wood screws (I call for 2×2 in the plans because 2×3’s are not available in every region.  If you do use 2×2’s for the cleats, get furring strips to save money). I like to use the Spax self-tapping screws. I find them at Home Depot and they are pricey but you don’t need to pre-drill with them!  If you use regular wood screws, make sure to pre-drill first to prevent the wood from splitting.

Rustoleum_Dark_Walnut

To finish, I applied one-coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut Stain (you can find it HERE on Amazon). If you are buying your supplies at Home Depot, get the Varathane brand in Dark Walnut (it’s the same stain).

add-slats

When the bed was dry, the hubs and I took it inside and into our little man’s room!  I used my brad nailer to attach the 1×3 slats.  I just spaced them out evenly and attached them to both cleats and the center support. You can use the cheap furring strips for this part, Just make sure they are smooth so they don’t tear-up your mattress.

slats-added

To attach the headboard to the bed, I drilled 2 1/2″ spax screws from the backside of the headboard legs into the bottom and top frames of the platform.

Platform-Bed-Plans
how-to-build-a-platform-bed
Easy-DIY-Platform-Bed

I just love it so much and I’ve overheard our 11-year-old bragging to his friends (on a few occasions) that his mom built his bed – which is the best part for me 😉

Don’t forget to check out the headboard plans HERE and if you like the wall color in his room (I’m obsessed!) you can read about it HERE! I have received a lot of questions about the quilt on his bed, it is from Pottery Barn Teen but, I bought it a couple of years ago so I’m not sure that it is still available.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

DIY Platform Bed

This Easy DIY Platform Bed is the perfect build for beginners! Make sure to click the link below to download and print the full set of plans with the cut list!
Author: Shanty2Chic

Supply List

• 8 1x3x10
  • 1 2x8x10
  • 2 2x8x8
  • 3 2x6x8
  • 1 2x4x8
  • 3 2x2x8
  • 2 1/2″ Pocket Hole Screws
  • 2 1/2″ Wood Screws
  • Wood Glue
  • Finish of Choice

Instructions

• Cut List
  • Assemble the bed upside down. Start with the top frame. Use glue and 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws at each connection.
  • Assemble the lower frame. Make sure the edge pocket holes are facing the same direction.
  • Lay the top frame on the floor with the pocket holes facing up and stack the lower frame on top. Secure them together with pocket hole screws.
  • Attach the 2×2 cleats to the sides and the center 2×4 support in the middle. The 2×2 cleats are just screwed into the bed frame with wood screws and the 2×4 support is secured with pocket hole screws on each end. All three of these pieces should be 3/4″ lower than the top of the top frame.
  • Add your slats and the construction is done! Now, all you have to do is sand and finish as you wish and enjoy your new platform bed. This platform bed was made for a previous headboard that I also made. Search our site for “Planked Headboard” to see it. As always, if you decide to make this bed be sure share it on social media and use #shanty2chic so we can share it too!

1. Alanna Bear on April 22, 2020 at 6:50 am

So I’m not very good at math. What are the dimensions for a California king please?

2. Maaria Lodhi on April 2, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Can someone please help me with the dimensions for a Queen sized bed? I know to add 6″ to the width and 5″ to the length, but am still very confused on what to get when buying wood.

3. www.rude69.com on March 4, 2020 at 9:22 am

Good response in return of this issue with solid arguments and describing the
    whole thing on the topic of that.

4. Sarah on February 26, 2020 at 10:20 pm

I’m sure I probably missed it in the comments somewhere, but can I get the exact dimensions for a twin size bed and I know I have seen you said to take off 15 on the width does that mean you take 15 off of the headboard too?

5. Cindy Roper on February 6, 2020 at 12:35 pm

Ladies, I absolutely love you two. 💕
    Here I was, fawning over beds at CB2 (aka Crate and Barrel Kids). These two models I thought would be good for my preteen sons; The Drommen Acacia Wood Full Bed (I’m crazy about this aesthetic) and the Andes Acacia Full Bed. My younger son nixed both options because he wants his bed to sit higher. I found your therefore recreation of the Pottery Barn inspired bed, and this will be his bed. I believe the Rustic Modern Queen Bed, will be my older sons choice. We shall see.
    Thank you for putting together these plans and sharing them with all of us 👍. That’s so kind and generous of you both. And the best part, it’s so affordable. 😁 I was heartbroken over the retail prices I came across at all the retail sites. But today, I happened to look through my emails and there was your latest post. Hence my need to look and then search your site for bed options. I feel like I hit the jackpot!!! From now on, Shanty-2-Chic will be my first stop.
    Again, thank you so much.
    Best,
    Cindy R

P.S. No need to attach to Facebook, but please add a thumbs up button to each of the posts.

6. Bogdan on July 30, 2019 at 8:11 am

The plan for the back 2×2 on the top of the bed is wrong it’s 64 inches not 63.

7. Maycie on May 30, 2019 at 4:56 am

Hey! I love this but I’m not a huge fan of headboards is there anything I would need to adjust for making the base if I wouldn’t want a headboard?

8. jamie on May 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm

What is the size I would need for a queen bed ?

9. Leslie C on April 18, 2019 at 4:31 pm

How far apart are the pocket holes on the 2×8’s and the 2×10.

10. Matthew on January 7, 2019 at 8:02 pm

FYI if you use these plans and adjust for king size bed: an 85″ width may not fit through a standard doorway. We had to make it into two sides and attach when it was in the room

11. Taylor on December 19, 2018 at 11:16 am

Just can’t say silent, I am about to build this bed and headboard this week-end and absolutely love the very clear plans (even though I’m building a queen LxW increase is a snap). I admire whole-heartedly the wonderful patience shown in your responses.
    Makes one want to come back, and not be afraid to ask any question. Thanks

12. Lisa on December 6, 2018 at 8:50 pm

We built this for our daughter. The plans were easy to follow and it turned out great!

13. Haleigh on October 24, 2018 at 5:51 pm

hi! my dad and i made this frame i’d say a few years ago and it’s starting to creek really bad when getting in and out of my bed, is there a way i can get rid of the creeking without taking it apart ?? please email me! thanks!

14. Ty on October 19, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Did anyone ever figure out all the queen sized dimensions cuts?

15. Marques on September 26, 2018 at 4:06 pm

I am building a king size version for this, can you please provide me the measurements and dimensions needed for this? Thanks and I love your work!