DIY Truss Desk – Free Plans!

I’m so pumped to show you guys our latest free woodworking plans!  I have just started redoing my entire bedroom.  It’s the only room I have yet to build furniture for!  My next project will be the king bed, which I CANNOT wait to share!  Today I am sharing the first half of my new DIY Desk… Check it out!

Free Woodworking Plans DIY Desk

Here is the desk finished with the additional pieces!

For the free plans for the side cabinets click HERE!

For the free plans for the bookcases that sit on top of the cabinets click HERE!

DIY Desk Free Woodworking Plans

Free Furniture Plans Rustic Truss Desk

And wait until y’all see the other half… Well, the other 2/3 I should say.   I was needing a desk space with a bit more storage, and I designed this Truss Desk collection.  You can build the desk alone, or you can add on some extra pieces that I will be showing you really soon.

Thanks so much to our good friend Jay of Jay’s Custom Creations for putting all of our original plans and ideas into printable plans for our readers.  Y’all should check out his site… He has lots of great tips, ideas and plans of his own!  I will walk you through the build below, and you can download and print the free plans by clicking HERE or the button below!

Free Woodworking Plans - DIY Desk

So… Let’s get started!  Before we do, let’s first talk about this supply list guys.

Six 2×4 and three 1×6 boards is all the wood you need to build this desk.  I LOVE that!

I did use my K5 Kreg Jig
for the entire build.  You don’t have to hang around here long to know about our love for this tool.  Ashley and I both currently use the K5 model.  You can find it on Amazon HERE!
For those of you wondering what the heck a Kreg Jig is, you can check out our quick video HERE where we break it down just a bit and explain it’s awesomeness.

The base of this desk has several 10-degree cuts.  I made these using my Ridgid Miter Saw.  They go into the Kreg Jig like this to make the pocket holes.  For the base, I used 1.5″ pocket holes and attached everything with 2.5″ pocket hole screws.

Pocket Holes on angled pieces

You can see below where I placed my pocket holes for the back of the desk.  The pocket holes for the back will face the back keeping you from having to cover them if it is up against a wall.

Pocket Holes for back of desk

Now for the sides.  You will build two sides that look like the photo below.  I randomly placed my pocket holes by how much they would show.   I knew I would be adding some other pieces of furniture around this desk, so I chose to place the pocket holes where they would be most covered.  You can place yours in the same way.

Side of Desk

Once both sides and the back are built, you are ready to attach it.  I used my Kreg Right Angle Clamp to help me on this part.  You can see it fits into a pocket hole and holds the pieces close together while I add the other pocket hole screws.  It’s like having an extra hand which is never a bad thing! 😉  You can see this clamp HERE on Amazon!

Kreg Right Angle Clamp

This is a shot of the inside of the desk once I had it all joined together…

Inside of DIY Desk

And another shot of the back…

Back of desk

Some of my pocket holes were on the inside of the desk as  I mentioned.

Pocket Holes for DIY Desk

At this point, the base is constructed and ready for the top.  Here is mine upside-down and ready to go!

Desk before adding top

I also used my Kreg Jig for the top, but I changed the settings.  Because the thickness of the top is much less than the legs, I used 3/4″ pocket holes on 4 of the 5 boards.  Each of the 4 boards have pocket holes running up one side.

Kreg Jig K5

Wood for desk top

I attached those pieces using 1.25″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes and into the other board.

Plank wood using Kreg Jig

Once the top is all attached, you are ready to attach it to your base.  I just laid the base on top of the desk top.  I used 1.25″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the apron boards and into the top to hold it all together and I was DONE.  So stinking easy!!

I used one of my new fav stain combos for the finish!  I started by staining the whole thing with Varathane wood stain in Weathered Grey.  You can find this at Home Depot!  It only requires one coat and dries in an hour… Yes please!

Weathered Gray Wood Stain

I wanted mine to look a bit more distressed, so I used Rust-Oleum decorative glaze on top of the stain once it dried.  You just brush this stuff on and then wipe the excess off.  Work on one side at a time as it does dry pretty quickly.  You can also find this at Home Depot.

Rustoleum Decorative Glaze

Here she is all set up!

Free Woodworking Plans Desk DIY

Free Furniture Plans Rustic Truss Desk

Free Woodworking Plans DIY Desk

Free Woodworking Plans Rustic Truss Desk

I’m so pumped to share the rest of it and the whole room with y’all soon!  Let me know if you have any questions at all!!  I would LOVE for you to share and PIN this with all your friends!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Happy Building!

1. Janae on July 14, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Love this desk…I am in the process of finishing mine right now. 🙂 I love the chair that you have with it, where did you get the chair? TIA!

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 4, 2018 at 11:23 pm

I built my own using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

www. EasyWoodwork.org

2. Joy on June 15, 2015 at 11:12 am

How much does tis desk cost to make?

3. Whitney h on May 13, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I’m in love with this color! Do you do any kind of protectant over the top? Poly? Wax? I want to do this on my dining room table so I need it to be able to take a beating.

4. julie on May 5, 2015 at 9:12 am

Love this! Do you buy Kreg pocket hole screws or are there generic ones? I am new to this kreg world. Hoping to order mine today! Thanks.

• tonyr on July 6, 2015 at 4:37 pm

There are generic ones. You could get one from harbor freight tools

5. Kristen Wolf on April 26, 2015 at 8:01 am

Photos

• Rosa Brand on July 15, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Had to twist my head a bit to see it in full glory, but this is awesome!

6. Kristen Wolf on April 26, 2015 at 7:58 am

We did this desk this weekend! Turned out beautiful! Under $50 too! Stained it with beechwood gray from Lowes. Adjusted the size to a bit smaller to fit the space we have

7. writer3 on April 8, 2015 at 8:16 am

“You can build the desk alone, or you can add on some extra pieces that I will be showing you really soon.”

Did you ever post the extra pieces?? I can’t find them on your site.

8. Lynn on March 20, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Hello, Can you tell me where you found these curtains? They go so well with the desk and I will be making this desk this weekend! Thank -you !

9. Ka Lee on March 9, 2015 at 7:00 am

I built this over the weekend and finished it late last night. Luckily I read the comments and shortened the legs to 29″ because we’re a short family. LOL! I love it though!

10. J Costte on March 2, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I had fun Build in it,but I have to agree that it turns out to be too tall 32 3/4″ I have to raise and bend my arms to reach the top ,I will be cuting 3 1/2″off. 29-30″ seems a proper height for keyboard height .

• Ashley K on May 15, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Hi J Costte, what kind of wood did you use for your desk particularly? I love the finished look.

• Paulo Munoz on March 6, 2017 at 9:22 am

What color did you use?

• J Costte on March 7, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Weathered Gray stain and java brown decorative glaze.

11. Yari De Leon on January 30, 2015 at 10:44 pm

are u selling this desk?

12. Alan Davies on January 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Thanks for the plans! I used reclaimed pallet wood and epoxy to make the top level enough for my boys.

13. hingedthinker on October 30, 2014 at 1:45 pm

is there a reason why you deleted my comments? I am going to have to remove the link and name from my blog…

14. Courtney on October 13, 2014 at 8:20 pm

This is perfect in so many ways! With the decorative glaze, do you need to polyurethane as well?

• hingedthinker on October 28, 2014 at 5:34 pm

HD paint guy recommend using car wax over the glaze…

15. Elena on October 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Gorgeous!

16. Kim D on October 8, 2014 at 7:44 am

Beautiful! This desk might be next on our building list! Where did you find that awesome chair??

17. Guest on October 8, 2014 at 7:39 am

18. amy425 on October 7, 2014 at 1:52 pm

The stain on this desk is exactly what I have been looking for! I have a dresser and night stands to stain. Can’t wait to try it!

19. Brittney Adams-Vivian on October 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

What are the actual dimensions of the table? It looks beautiful and I would love to build it for my guest room

• glaudt on January 2, 2015 at 7:24 pm

did you ever get the dimensions

• Sarah Ballenger on January 4, 2015 at 8:47 pm

The desk is much bigger than it looks it in the picture! Unfortunately we forgot to calculate the dimensions before building and it’s much bigger than I anticipated. 32.75″ high, which is about the height of a kitchen counter, 56″ wide and 27.25″ deep. We cut 2.5″ off the bottom and it’s still higher than I would like.

• Rosa Brand on July 15, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Oh bless you for giving me the dimensions. That’s the one thing I wish they’d do. It helps in order to plan a room, so know what sizes you’re working with. I’m redoing my mother’s kitchen and needed a counter/table that would allow a slide-away dining table I could tuck underneath the counter. This is actually going to work perfectly because the sideboard I’m also building her is about that height.

20. Kim on October 7, 2014 at 9:46 am

gorgeous. Where is the chair from?