DIY Truss Desk – Free Plans!

I’m so pumped to show you guys our latest free woodworking plans!  I have just started redoing my entire bedroom.  It’s the only room I have yet to build furniture for!  My next project will be the king bed, which I CANNOT wait to share!  Today I am sharing the first half of my new DIY Desk… Check it out!

Free Woodworking Plans DIY Desk

Here is the desk finished with the additional pieces!

For the free plans for the side cabinets click HERE!

For the free plans for the bookcases that sit on top of the cabinets click HERE!

DIY Desk Free Woodworking Plans

Free Furniture Plans Rustic Truss Desk

And wait until y’all see the other half… Well, the other 2/3 I should say.   I was needing a desk space with a bit more storage, and I designed this Truss Desk collection.  You can build the desk alone, or you can add on some extra pieces that I will be showing you really soon.

Thanks so much to our good friend Jay of Jay’s Custom Creations for putting all of our original plans and ideas into printable plans for our readers.  Y’all should check out his site… He has lots of great tips, ideas and plans of his own!  I will walk you through the build below, and you can download and print the free plans by clicking HERE or the button below!

Free Woodworking Plans - DIY Desk

So… Let’s get started!  Before we do, let’s first talk about this supply list guys.

Six 2×4 and three 1×6 boards is all the wood you need to build this desk.  I LOVE that!

I did use my K5 Kreg Jig
for the entire build.  You don’t have to hang around here long to know about our love for this tool.  Ashley and I both currently use the K5 model.  You can find it on Amazon HERE!
For those of you wondering what the heck a Kreg Jig is, you can check out our quick video HERE where we break it down just a bit and explain it’s awesomeness.

The base of this desk has several 10-degree cuts.  I made these using my Ridgid Miter Saw.  They go into the Kreg Jig like this to make the pocket holes.  For the base, I used 1.5″ pocket holes and attached everything with 2.5″ pocket hole screws.

Pocket Holes on angled pieces

You can see below where I placed my pocket holes for the back of the desk.  The pocket holes for the back will face the back keeping you from having to cover them if it is up against a wall.

Pocket Holes for back of desk

Now for the sides.  You will build two sides that look like the photo below.  I randomly placed my pocket holes by how much they would show.   I knew I would be adding some other pieces of furniture around this desk, so I chose to place the pocket holes where they would be most covered.  You can place yours in the same way.

Side of Desk

Once both sides and the back are built, you are ready to attach it.  I used my Kreg Right Angle Clamp to help me on this part.  You can see it fits into a pocket hole and holds the pieces close together while I add the other pocket hole screws.  It’s like having an extra hand which is never a bad thing! 😉  You can see this clamp HERE on Amazon!

Kreg Right Angle Clamp

This is a shot of the inside of the desk once I had it all joined together…

Inside of DIY Desk

And another shot of the back…

Back of desk

Some of my pocket holes were on the inside of the desk as  I mentioned.

Pocket Holes for DIY Desk

At this point, the base is constructed and ready for the top.  Here is mine upside-down and ready to go!

Desk before adding top

I also used my Kreg Jig for the top, but I changed the settings.  Because the thickness of the top is much less than the legs, I used 3/4″ pocket holes on 4 of the 5 boards.  Each of the 4 boards have pocket holes running up one side.

Kreg Jig K5

Wood for desk top

I attached those pieces using 1.25″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes and into the other board.

Plank wood using Kreg Jig

Once the top is all attached, you are ready to attach it to your base.  I just laid the base on top of the desk top.  I used 1.25″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the apron boards and into the top to hold it all together and I was DONE.  So stinking easy!!

I used one of my new fav stain combos for the finish!  I started by staining the whole thing with Varathane wood stain in Weathered Grey.  You can find this at Home Depot!  It only requires one coat and dries in an hour… Yes please!

Weathered Gray Wood Stain

I wanted mine to look a bit more distressed, so I used Rust-Oleum decorative glaze on top of the stain once it dried.  You just brush this stuff on and then wipe the excess off.  Work on one side at a time as it does dry pretty quickly.  You can also find this at Home Depot.

Rustoleum Decorative Glaze

Here she is all set up!

Free Woodworking Plans Desk DIY

Free Furniture Plans Rustic Truss Desk

Free Woodworking Plans DIY Desk

Free Woodworking Plans Rustic Truss Desk

I’m so pumped to share the rest of it and the whole room with y’all soon!  Let me know if you have any questions at all!!  I would LOVE for you to share and PIN this with all your friends!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Happy Building!

1. not a scam on December 26, 2017 at 10:15 pm

This post is in fact a nice one it helps new the web people, who
    are wishing for blogging.

2. Dick on December 26, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Everʏthing is verу ⲟpen with a precise
    explanation of tһe issues. Ιt was defіniteⅼy infߋrmative.

Youur websitе is very useful. Thank you for sharing!

3. Julieta on December 26, 2017 at 8:42 am

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact used to be a amusement account it.

Look advanced to more delivered agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?

4. www.hacky.pl on December 24, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Oh my goodness! Imprеssive article dude! Thanks, However I am experіencing problems with your RSS.
    I don’t understand wһy І can’t joiin іt. Iѕ there
    ɑnybody else having similar RSՏ issues? Anyone that knows the solution will you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

5. Data Cabling London on December 24, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Eхcellent write-up. I definitely love thіs website.

Thanks!

6. cooking fever kody on December 24, 2017 at 8:01 am

Undeniably imagine that that you said. Your favourite reason appeared to be on the net the easiest thing to keep in mind of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed at the same time as other people think about worries that
    they just don’t realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as neatly as outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , other folks could take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

7. gamescrash.org on December 23, 2017 at 12:27 pm

On the time Crash was seen very a lot as Sony’s
    equivalent to Mario and Sonic, and but the primary sport came out three months after Tremendous Mario sixty four and was clearly much more simplistic than Nintendo’s game by way of each graphics and gameplay.

8. apuestas en directo sportium on December 23, 2017 at 6:05 am

I read this paragraph fully about the resemblance of newest and previous technologies,
    it’s awesome article.

9. Dak Prescott Jersey on December 23, 2017 at 5:17 am

It’s truly a great and useful piece of information. I am glad
    that you simply shared this useful info with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

10. ubezpieczenie oc online on December 22, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Thank you for some other informative website. Where else could I am
    getting that kind of info written in such a perfect method?
    I’ve a project that I’m just now operating on, and I’ve been on the look out
    for such info.

11. Abby Hahn on March 9, 2017 at 9:45 am

Maybe this has already been answered- but as a kreg jig newbie I’m confused about which depth setting to use when drilling holes to attach the top to the base-
    Do I use the depth for the 2×4 or the 1×6? Thanks in advance!

12. Erik Schmitt on March 7, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I’ve completed the setup..

Did anyone do any sanding to the desk?

I’m pretty new to all this.. I was thinking the whole thing would have to be sanded before being stained or painted.

Anyone have any input for me?

Thanks.

13. Clifford Hughes on September 1, 2016 at 11:57 am

I just completed this desk for my girlfriend. It was a breeze to assemble and it looks awesome. I’m going to do the matching cabinet and bookshelf next for her. Thanks for the plans!!!

14. Heidi on August 8, 2016 at 9:04 am

I need to scale down 14″ from the length (42″ wide). What’s the best fit for the truss braces in the back? Will I need to go to a 2×3 board to make it fit?

15. sqsmith on May 13, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Did you apply a primer to wood before staining and did you use a clear coat after glazing?

16. Nora Hacker on May 8, 2016 at 6:53 pm

We just put ours in our home today! Working here and there it took us a month–we bought the pocket jigger, but it still took awhile for us to screw it all together being our first project of this type. We also adjusted the plans to make it shorter and longer so it would be the size we wanted. We also used 3 1x10s instead of 5 1×6 because of what was available at our hard ware store the day we purchased the supplies.

Thank you so much for the plans and the inspiration! We are so pleased with our final result.

• Ashley K on May 17, 2016 at 3:10 am

Hi Nora. I love your desk! How come you can’t see where you joined the desk, did you make your pocket holes on the side against the wall? I would love to know. Thanks!

• Nora Hacker on May 18, 2016 at 11:29 am

Hi Ashley! Thank you! We debated, but in the end did put the pocket holes for the back side on the outside of the desk. We knew that we didn’t have any spaces where we could practically give up space by putting the desk in the middle of a room, so it made sense that the back side would always be against a wall. We also chose the worse sides of our 2x4s to face back. On the two side panels the pocket holes are on the inside of the desk. I do believe, though, that with the natural distressing due to the flaws in the wood and our finish, the holes would not be too distracting on either side.

• Ashley K on May 18, 2016 at 7:36 pm

???? Thank you!

17. Malka on April 20, 2016 at 1:24 am

Built this desk for a friend who wanted it to work her stained glass projects on, and she loved it! Super easy build, was only my 2nd project and I whipped it out with no problem! It only took me a weekend to build and was very enjoyable

18. John Torrey on April 16, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I just finished mine tonight, love the look. Everybody else in the family wants one now. I would definitely consider taking about 2-2.5 inches off the height of this desk though, it was a bit tall when completed. It was a fun build.

19. Benjamin Woods on January 31, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Great desk! Just built it for my girlfriend, she loves it!

20. Keri Owens on November 16, 2015 at 11:20 am

I’m in LOVE with this desk! Can’t wait to see it in the house!!